iPad tablet market share will dip to 50% by 2017, study says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member

Apple should get the US Government to let them bring foreign profits back to the US, free of taxes, if it is invested in research and development.  The US would get some of the money back, many bright people would get jobs, Apple could expand its research and the seven dwarfs would have other things to copy for the next few decades.

• Reply 22 of 109

This SO reminds me of all the crap predictions about Apple's future in the music player business when they came out with the iPod which was more expensive then the market leaders at the time. No one thought Apple had a chance. Then we had to endure a year or two of "iPod killers." That was before Microsoft jumped in with the Zune! OMG, you'd swear that Apple was just going to get steamrolled by Microsoft! Then Sony tried to recapture the market which they once OWNED with the Walkman. No body could unseat Apple and here is it, a gazillion years later and Apple still dominates the music player market. 

Now, times are different. The tablet market, as it is today, was created by Apple (in b4 MS table) and Apple has led in the sales of the iPad. So, this time Apple didn't jump in late. Apple didn't have to struggle this time to grab market share. Apple has the best customer service, best app store selection, best retail outlets ( both with their own stores and in-store areas), best display, and best UI. That's a winning combo. 

What's brand X have? Microsoft has a few company stores for the various brands of tablets can be shown. But Microsoft can't troubleshoot the phones and tablets that their software runs on, while the manufacturers can't do much with the MS software...which is still in Alpha while Apple's software is in version 5. How long will people put up with MS getting their software to function like they thought it would (current Nokia WinMo7 comes to mind). Even if MS takes a couple years to get all their pieces working, that Apple totally has running today, while will customers suddenly find WinMo8 desirable any more then they liked the Zune when it finally got its kinks worked out?

Then, look at Android in all it's various versions, screen ratios, flavors and hardware qualities... It's like a carnival with each ride playing a different tune. I think Amazon will still be selling readers that you can access Amazon so it can suck your money out of your pocket. But I doubt Amazon really cares if the Smoke and Fire ever do much more than that. The device works perfectly to keep you from surfing beyond Amazon as it is right now. That leaves Samsung, who might actually give Apple some competition. I've been in the Office stores where Samsung, Amazon Fire, B&N Nook, etc are on display. It's pathetic really. Most tablets don't work or are uncharged. They are covered in smudge prints with bright overhead lights washing out the displays. The sales people have only a glimmer of training in how to show them off. Nearly nothing going for the products, including Samsung, to move a shopper to become a buyer. How will Samsung or anyone do well in the face of Apple's well-oiled marketing programs?? 

Only those companies that cannot sell the iPad have any reason to be selling anything else. The learning curve is too high and the return on the time spent learning and selling is too low to attract outlets to really push the products. For companies that CAN sell the iPad, the sale is easy and quick and the customer won't be back 16% of the time with a non-working piece of brand X in a bag. 

While projections and numbers crunched sound good to the bean counters, there are realities to be dealt with. Remember IBM? They came along and dominated the typewriter market. None of the big names of the day could ever make a dent. Royal OWNED the manual typewriter market and lost it completely to IBM. IBM never was unseated. They saw the future of the PC doing the job of the typewriter and sold out their mechanical and inkjet business to Xmark while the getting was good. 

There's no reason why Apple has to lose market share any more then they did with the iPod or IBM did with the Selectric typewriter. Besides, I think Apple knows how to anchor themselves in a niche, even if it's not one of their making... but especially one of their making.

• Reply 23 of 109
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

If Apple does not release a smaller iPad, its market share will become smaller. Even the fan boys know this.

I want a larger iPad.  Wouldn't a reasonable person expect Apple's market share to drop as the market matures?  Of course, profits have thus far followed an entirely different trajectory.

We've said it before, Apple is a hardware and software company and innovative.  It will not give up market share easily.

• Reply 24 of 109
    dh87dh87 Posts: 73member

Maybe this forecast is right.  It says that Apple will sell 215,000,000 iPads in 2017.  With an ASP of $650 and 30% margins, that's $42B in profit.

• Reply 25 of 109
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member

Studies??? 5 year out predictions??? Find me a study that 5 years ago said today in 2012 Apple would have 95% tablet share and be the most valuable company in the world with a $600 stock price and I'll show you a study source I'll pay attention to.

• Reply 26 of 109
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

There is indeed one way that MS can make inroads on the iPad, and its disturbing and may end up in the court system. Recently, there have been news reports that MS is not going to allow certain apps allowing windows on iPads, unless there is a huge licensing fee. This would cause some problems with Office, etc, and citrix apps remotely accessing Windows on corporate servers. This is not a good thing. Lets see how this develops over time, because our company was definitely planning citrix access for remote access. When I talked to IT recently, they said this was now on hold. This story is just developing :(

• Reply 27 of 109
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

They use existing sales trends, interview stores for buying trends across the various products, then run algorithms to try and predict the future. This is done in every industry so why are you surprised? Do you honestly believe Apple will maintain the lead it has now forever? Seriously, are you that naive? Apple has had leads in the past and squandered them before so WAKE UP.

Weren't their "algorithms" predicting that this was going to happen this year, last year or the iPad would not get off the ground at all?

Maybe that was someone else but who cares, these things are about as about meaningful as fantasy league sports.

I suspect they used the "tablets will mimic the smartphone market so let's base our predictions off that".

FALL ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL LIKE rim.

• Reply 28 of 109
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by grblade View Post

Studies??? 5 year out predictions??? Find me a study that 5 years ago said today in 2012 Apple would have 95% tablet share and be the most valuable company in the world with a $600 stock price and I'll show you a study source I'll pay attention to.

If I remember that RBC guy was saying sell APPL at $70 because they were going down from there.

• Reply 29 of 109
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

This SO reminds me of all the crap predictions about Apple's future in the music player business when they came out with the iPod...

There's no reason why Apple has to lose market share any more then they did with the iPod or IBM did with the Selectric typewriter. Besides, I think Apple knows how to anchor themselves in a niche, even if it's not one of their making... but especially one of their making.

Historically, the portable digital music business might well be viewed in almost its entirety as an Apple preserve, from almost the beginning to the end...  It has been said that genius is not witnessed in beginning something but in being the last player - Apple might well achieve that feat and probably already has in purely portable, digital music.

It is conceivable that Apple might see out the tablet era as well as we know it today.  Once tablets supplant notebooks the glorified consumption device tag will be irrelevant and a new era will begin.

All the best.

• Reply 30 of 109
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Unless Google gets serious with Tablets, this will not happen. Windows maybe, because they are pouring everything they have into their next OS. But this is predicted with this year's devices, no one knows what kind of iPad Apple is going to make in two years, or if iOS makes its way into OS X.

In conclusion, this report is BS.

given the current trend, indeed. As you say unless there is some serious competition. in terms of numbers sold and not returned by the customers two days later etc. 

• Reply 31 of 109
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

I find it hard to believe that anyone can predict 5 years in advance how the tablet or any market will change. There are too many variables involved which make this type of prediction nothing more than a guess. Demographics, state of the economy, inflation, new inventions as well as at least a dozen other factors will all play a factor in this kind of call ,and as anyone can see these are complicated areas to predict.

• Reply 32 of 109
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Space people will land on earth in 2017 film at 11PM.

• Reply 33 of 109
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

It is quite easy to design simple tablets with limited functionality (eBooks reading). Most on line retail companies in the publishing business (in Us as well as in other countries) do this. The price can be cheap, and the OS does not really matter.

Whereas some can achieve somme success in this strategy makes no doubt for me, competing with Apple on the market of a versatile tablet is another story ..

So, it all depends what we call a "tablet" ....

• Reply 34 of 109
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Let's do some simple math.  If Apple sold a little over 40 Million units in 2011 and if these projections are correct, which i doubt.  Apple will have 50% of 424 Million units?  That means they will sell approx. 210 Million units in 2017.  That 5x 2011 numbers.  The only reason why they might only sell that many is that they might not be able to make more.  I think whomever came up with these numbers made some false assumptions that Android will still be shipping older versions of their OS in 5 years from now and that Microsoft will actually make a dent in the tablet market.  So far, Apple is making lots of successful inroads in the corporate market, the education and government markets, not to mention the average consumer market.  If Apple progresses the way they have so far, I think the market share will stay around 65 to 75%, it is just a matter of how fast the market grows in general.  But that's just my opinion.

• Reply 35 of 109
    splifsplif Posts: 603member

Yup, everyone knows that owning 50% of any market sucks.

• Reply 36 of 109
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member

Wow!  Predictions like this must hurt really bad, when they pull them out of their posterior like that!

• Reply 37 of 109
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

They use existing sales trends, interview stores for buying trends across the various products, then run algorithms to try and predict the future. This is done in every industry so why are you surprised? 

I'm so surprised that they can predict a trend five years into the future, on a product category that was effectively created a little more than two years ago.  There is not enough history to be able to predict with any accuracy that far ahead.  In fact considering what Apple did with a somewhat similar product category - personal music players - I believe you could predict just the opposite.  

• Reply 38 of 109
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Assuming this actually happens, is that really a bad thing? Obviously the tablet market will be absolutely massive in 2017, much bigger than it is now, and if Windows 8 survives this will be a major focus for Microsoft, with hundreds of OEMs making Win tablets. If 1 out of every 2 tablets sold in the world came from Apple, thats nothing to scoff at. Still, trying to predict anything in the tech world 5 years away is complete idiocy. 

• Reply 39 of 109
    peter02lpeter02l Posts: 85member
    tommcin wrote: »
    Apple should get the US Government to let them bring foreign profits back to the US, free of taxes, if it is invested in research and development.  The US would get some of the money back, many bright people would get jobs, Apple could expand its research and the seven dwarfs would have other things to copy for the next few decades.

1. How can Apple possibly spend over $75 billion in R&D?

2. All bright people already have jobs.
  • Reply 40 of 109
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

Market share, shmarket mare. Remember this...?

Apple now earning 73% of global mobile profits with just 8.8% unit share

...or as Apple E. Newman sez: What? Me worried?