SAT Tomorrow!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>

Learning how to beat and learning how to take are totally different.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah. It's the difference between Shell Shock and Battle Fatigue and Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome--it's a difference in semantics.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    [quote]if they score 1600 they should also reconsider college<hr></blockquote>

No no no no NO! College isn't supposed to be someplace you go to get smarter! It's supposed to a place where you can grow as a human being and expand your mind into places you never thought of going before. It's supposed to be the one chance in life to learn anything you want, from people who make learning and teaching their life's work. It's supposed to be the only time you'll be surrounded by lots of people all your own age who are all just as brilliant as you are, and where you can all learn from each other. When you finally leave you should marvel at distant the beginning seems, and how you would hardly recognize the you that started. SAT scores aren't a perfect predictor of who will really suceed in such an environment, but "being smart" most surely doesn't mean that you should short-circuit your education. If only some of the more brilliant businessmen these days had been able to apply themselves to a good liberal arts education!
  • Reply 43 of 79
    I personally utterly despise the SAT and ETS. I am an internatinal student so by definition I am at a disadvantage.

I had to pay so much to not only take them but send those stupid scores to universities.

What's more, they retain the score reports for five weeks so you are forced to pay extra for their 'express' sending.

Plus, I also payed extra to get my score 'early'.

ETS is such a profit organisation.

I had to take the TOEFL and payed $170 to send the scores!.

If I were to die for a cause.......

(I hope ETS can't track this)
  • Reply 44 of 79
    [quote]Originally posted by Towel:

<strong>

No no no no NO! College isn't supposed to be someplace you go to get smarter! It's supposed to a place where you can grow as a human being and expand your mind into places you never thought of going before. It's supposed to be the one chance in life to learn anything you want, from people who make learning and teaching their life's work. It's supposed to be the only time you'll be surrounded by lots of people all your own age who are all just as brilliant as you are, and where you can all learn from each other. When you finally leave you should marvel at distant the beginning seems, and how you would hardly recognize the you that started. SAT scores aren't a perfect predictor of who will really suceed in such an environment, but "being smart" most surely doesn't mean that you should short-circuit your education. If only some of the more brilliant businessmen these days had been able to apply themselves to a good liberal arts education!</strong><hr></blockquote>

College isnt for geniuses, that's my point. Some people could already have all the tools they need to be massively successful in the real world.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    some would argue that college is the final, massive brain washing before sending you out into the world to be a corporate drone.

• Reply 46 of 79

<strong>

College isnt for geniuses, that's my point. Some people could already have all the tools they need to be massively successful in the real world.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree that college isn't for geniuses. I have learned that the hard way. When you catch onto things 75 times quicker than 99% of the class and yet still are forced to do the insulting homework assignments (busywork), it can be very difficult to maintain the necessary drive to do well in all your classes. Most lectures are geared towards the lowest common denominator so you have to sit in class bored to tears while the professor explains for the thirtieth time that you don't count non-cash items in cash budgets. It's not like you can just skip all of the lecture because many classes have participation grades. Screw the fact that you ace all the tests...if you don't do the homework and don't go to class you can still end up with a C. FEH! High school was worse.

It sickens me when I see all this money flushed down the toilet to overfund these ridiculous special ed programs in public schools and yet if the money was redirected to help the smartest of the smart, there would be a much higher return on investment.

Some people do have the tools to be successful in the real world right away. However, a degree is your ticket into the best fields. There is no way around it.

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: BR ]</p>
  • Reply 47 of 79
    BR, perhaps you should increase your course load.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>BR, perhaps you should increase your course load.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm almost out of this hell hole. Four more weeks til graduation. Course load has nothing to do with it. There is absolutely zero motivation for me to waste my afternoons doing busywork that is intended to help me learn concepts that I already understood 2 minutes into the professor's god damn lecture.

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: BR ]</p>
  • Reply 49 of 79
    I don't see why you have such a negative attitude about it all. You're really that smart, so why don't you really take advantage of it? What are some of the things you've done with that intelligence?
  • Reply 50 of 79

<strong>I don't see why you have such a negative attitude about it all. You're really that smart, so why don't you really take advantage of it? What are some of the things you've done with that intelligence?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The entire system is geared towards the lowest common denominator. Damn right I have a negative attitude about it.

What have I done with my intelligence? I'm graduating college at 20, will have my masters at 21, then will probably go on to get a math or astrophysics degree. I would go on to be a teacher to really benefit society but they don't pay nearly enough. Perhaps as a second career I will do that.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    Cool. What college will you graduate from?
  • Reply 52 of 79

<strong>Cool. What college will you graduate from?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Devry University. It's the only place around here that actually teaches application as well as theory.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    [quote]Originally posted by BR:

<strong>

Devry University. It's the only place around here that actually teaches application as well as theory.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL
  • Reply 54 of 79
    "Reach for the sky, Devry!" LMFAO.
  • Reply 55 of 79

<strong>

LOL</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL? LOL what?
  • Reply 56 of 79

<strong>"Reach for the sky, Devry!" LMFAO.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, they had stupid commercials. What's your point? You good at judging books by their covers?
  • Reply 57 of 79

<strong>

Yes, they had stupid commercials. What's your point? You good at judging books by their covers?</strong><hr></blockquote>

n/m you would not understand.
  • Reply 57 of 79

<strong>

n/m you would not understand.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Screw you. If you have something to say, say it.
  • Reply 59 of 79

<strong>

Screw you. If you have something to say, say it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok.
  • Reply 60 of 79
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member

<strong>

They make those study guides because they are a for-profit organization. Ethics need not apply. It is not in the spirit of the test to learn how the questions will be asked and to learn various tricks that can be exploited to artificially inflate your score. If you can't figure out how to answer the damn question without prior knowledge of how the question will be asked, you shouldn't be going to college in the first place.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's not why I used those study guides or my college counselor. I used those guides to inflate my score, not to cheat myself into getting into a college I didn't deserve to get into. I used it as insurance. I guarantee that I was mentally prepared any college I applied to.