Is this ram any good?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Looking to fill my Mac Pro Early 2008 3,1 machine with this memory before giving it to my son. Is this memory reliable, and do they stand behind it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Never heard of them! That implies nothing good or bad. Why not Crucial?

More so why bother with more RAM, is he the type of guy that actually can use it? Often an SSD is a better upgrade, this of course depends upon the users software habits.
    tony3d wrote: »
    Looking to fill my Mac Pro Early 2008 3,1 machine with this memory before giving it to my son. Is this memory reliable, and do they stand behind it?

http://www.memoryamerica.com/3fk225672800at.html
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tony3dtony3d Posts: 47member
    I'm giving my son my dual quad core 2.8 gig machine with the ATI 5770 video card, but only 4 gigs of ram. He is going to Windows primarily for gaming. We want to put in about a total of 12 gigs. This place is very cheap.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

You may not need 12GB but 4 is a bit tight.

I would not go 6 x 2GB for $284 for no name RAM over 8GB (4GBx2) for $299 at Crucial or $209 from NewEgg for Mushkin.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146783

You can get Crucial at NewEgg too for $269 but I'd just get the Mushkin and stress test them or buy from Crucial direct. 

Follow apple's directions properly when installing. For 6 dimms, put 2 pairs on the top and 1 on the bottom or it wont work.

In the case of 4 dimms, put 1 pair on the top and 1 on the bottom. 

Assuming you currently have 1GB x 4 then you'll still have 12GB and still have 2 free slots if you want for later.  You may wish to Google which is the best slots to use get best performance out of the 2 new 4GB sticks.

• Reply 4 of 4
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member

Buy it used on eBay, verify it with memtest, and be done with it.  

Buying RAM new is no guarantee that it will work perfectly.  Used RAM has been thoroughly tested, the only question is whether the seller is a scammer or not.  If it's an eBayer with lots of feedback and an obvious interest in maintaining his reputation, he's not going to sell you bad RAM and then refuse to accept a return.