Kindle Fire shipments drop sharply as Apple's iPad takes 68% tablet share

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I think Samsung is getting Apple blueprints ahead of time for production, they copy it and beat Apple to market with it. Be carefull, the note may be a clone of the upcoming ipadmini / ipodtouchXL. (minus the pen i hope)

The pen part is actually nice.  I think the 10.1 Galaxy Note is one of the ways that Samsung can beat the iPad in certain niches...if they can actually get the drawing apps that artists want.

The rest of the Galaxy Tab line up is kinda DOA and by having so many variants it's just confusing.

• Reply 62 of 106
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I wouldn't expect them to meet the ipad, but even the ipad seems to have a lot of exchanges with the new display thing.

Really? How about some evidence? I haven't seen a single report that indicates any significant number of problems with the new iPad's display. And given that the press blows up even minor issues into massive mountains, if there were any major problems, the press would be all over it.

• Reply 63 of 106
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Samsung and other Android-based manufacturers continue to be hobbled by the lack of the rich book, app, and media ecosystem that surounds Apple's iPad and Amazon's Kindle Fire. Google newly rebranded "Google Play" may help, but would still require device makers to compete according to Google's rulebook. 

B&N will also distribute its free Nook app through Microsoft's Windows Store, giving a Metro tablet access to a large and growing library of ebook content. And Microsoft already has plenty of Xbox Live media content warmed up, ready and waiting on the bench.

All in all, I think it's safe to say that Microsoft will be working as hard as possible to make their entry a contender, and is poised to gain ground at the expense of Android.

See http://www.iSights.org/2012/05/android-tablets-drop-the-ball-during-2012s-first-quarter.html

• Reply 64 of 106
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Exactly. A cheap knockoff, which is a copy. That's what a cheap knockoff means—a cheap copy.

And like all cheap knockoffs, it not an exact copy.

We get the point.  It's a CHEAP smartphone or a cheap tablet.  It boils down to being CHEAP. I think the operative word is CHEAP.

• Reply 65 of 106
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

real story was that the numbers did not meet expectations in total... 17.4mill tablets total. So much for the post PC era

All these Garbage mickey mouse OS just need to die off.

• Reply 66 of 106
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

real story was that the numbers did not meet expectations in total... 17.4mill tablets total. So much for the post PC era

Whose expectations?

• Reply 67 of 106

It was a good give away gift for Xmas season for that had to give something decent and allowed them to save money for themselves ( to by the IPAD 3)

• Reply 68 of 106
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Don't feed the troll...don't feed the troll...aw heck.

In context 87M PCs were sold.  Apple sold 11.8M iPads.

"Canalys said that tablets make up about 19 percent of all client PC shipments."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hp-apple-pc-tablet,15518.html.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23433412

So 19% share for a segment that didn't exist two years ago.  Yep, for trolls that "misses expectations".

• Reply 69 of 106
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

hmm kindle fire sales dropping off, it's not as if someone colluded with publishers to raise ebook prices so their competitor could not compete anymore.

• Reply 70 of 106
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Is't that where lots of people go to buy Apple stuff?

Don't you mean they go to the 'Walled Garden of Walmart'?

Quote:

Originally Posted by applematty View Post

I own stock in AAPL and AMZN...

Groan!

• Reply 71 of 106
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    (>_<)
  • Reply 72 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Don't feed the troll...don't feed the troll...aw heck.

In context 87M PCs were sold.  Apple sold 11.8M iPads.

"Canalys said that tablets make up about 19 percent of all client PC shipments."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hp-apple-pc-tablet,15518.html.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23433412

So 19% share for a segment that didn't exist two years ago.  Yep, for trolls that "misses expectations".

You really have to combine the trolls' comments to get the real  humor. At about the same time as the post you were responding to, someone else commented in another thread that it wasn't that big of a deal when RIM went from 77% market share for government sales to under 50% in under 2 years. So going from 77% to under 50 is no big deal - when it's an Apple competitor. But going from 0 to 19% is underperforming.

• Reply 73 of 106
    granmastakgranmastak Posts: 298member
    I know 3 people who got kindle fires in the office. Two were from Santa Clauss and one was a Kindle Fanboi. They all took them to the office in the first couple of weeks showing them off etc. After that, I've never seen them again. People with iPads on the other hand, even ones with first gen, they bring them in all the time. Kindle fires are boring and that's the bottom line.
  • Reply 74 of 106
    No doubt the Kindles are not iPads. But I believe Kindle Fires just displaced Kindle eInk devices. Although we are a 3 iPad family and have no plans to get a Fire, I am still an appreciator of the Fire.
  • Reply 75 of 106

Late to this, although I live in Silicon Valley area (many Apple supporters), I see 8-15 iPads on the train every day to/from work, but at most I've seen 5-6 Amazon Fire's since beginning of the year total. I see more Kindle's and Samsung 7" tablets than I do Fire's.

• Reply 76 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Late to this, although I live in Silicon Valley area (many Apple supporters), I see 8-15 iPads on the train every day to/from work, but at most I've seen 5-6 Amazon Fire's since beginning of the year total. I see more Kindle's and Samsung 7" tablets than I do Fire's.

In all fairness, that's not really useful to try to project relative sales. The products are different enough that their use patterns are different.

For example, I would venture that the Kindle products (all of them) are more likely to be found on a family vacation - where the size is important for packing considerations and where the device is more likely to be used just for reading or maybe videos. The iPad is more likely to be used in a corporate situation where a full-featured tablet is needed. That would explain why you see more iPads on a train to/from work.

• Reply 77 of 106
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    All of my colleagues at work rushed to get Kindle Fires amid the hype back in October and November. Most have returned them at this point and all you see are iPads at this point.
  • Reply 78 of 106
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    nht wrote: »
    What's really weird is that in the ComScore report regarding the Kindle's android share report the Nook Tablet is considered an eBook reader.
    <p style="margin-top:10px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;font-size:1em;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;line-height:1.333em;">"For the purposes of this study, <a href="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-tablet-barnes-noble/1104687969" style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;font-size:inherit;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(41,100,191);" target="_blank">Nook</a>
     was classified as an e-reader and not a tablet," a ComScore spokeswoman said, referring to Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet."</p>

<p style="margin-top:10px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;font-size:1em;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;line-height:1.333em;">http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57422288-92/kindle-fire-grabs-half-of-android-share-in-february/</p>

<p style="margin-top:10px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;font-size:1em;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;line-height:1.333em;"> </p>

WTF?  Who thought that was the way to go?
    <p style="margin-top:10px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;font-size:1em;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;line-height:1.333em;"> </p>
    Nook color is definitely closer to a Kindle Fire than an iPad. If they consider Amazon's Fire a tablet so is the Nook in color. I know they do this stuff to create hype for a product that has high visibility in the news so people will read the catchy head line and send the fanbois into a frenzy generating ad rev for their website.
  • Reply 79 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don't think a 7" iPad is a good idea.  The UI would be a little small at times for some apps designed for the iPad.

The refurb Kindle ($139) is cheaper than the iPod Touch ($199).  The Kindle is the same price.  Choosing between the two is a no brainer...I got the Kindle for the same things I'd use the Touch for.  It's a little weak for higher end gaming but for Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds, etc it's just fine.  Same for Netflix.

An 8GB 4.7" iPod Touch for $249 with a single core 45nm A5 (aka iPhone 4S rejects) would fill much of the gap between iPhone and iPad and not harm sales of either that much.  It wouldn't be retina but the UI designed for the iPhone would work just fine and it would still look pretty good.

$399 with LTE and GPS and it would be absolutely killer.

From what we're reading, it would be an 8" tablet. Just as the 9.7" screen of the iPad is thought of as a 10" device, the talked about 7.85" screen of the smaller one would be an 8" device. Saying it's 7" as we read, is wrong. The info about this size is that it would have the same ppi as the original iPhone, and the icons and spacing would be exactly the same as the iPhone.

So nothing would have to be made smaller than what Apple originally thought was proper. A 7" screen would be too small though.

I don't see how Apple could do this for $299 with GPS and 3/4G though, as that extra costs an additional $130. I thought it would have dropped to $100 with the new iPad, but it didn't. Some other manufacturers charge less for the WiFi tablet, but add as much as $150 for the 3G/GPS version.
  • Reply 80 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The pen part is actually nice.  I think the 10.1 Galaxy Note is one of the ways that Samsung can beat the iPad in certain niches...if they can actually get the drawing apps that artists want.

The rest of the Galaxy Tab line up is kinda DOA and by having so many variants it's just confusing.

I've read that one reason they're offering the pen is because of Android's notorious lack of precision, repeatability and reliability of the touch. Every review of this shows that iPhones and iPads are much better at this than Android devices. The Android OS is blamed for this problem, and not (usually) the hardware it's running on. Display search has done testing over the years on this.