Where's the new stuff?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Where are the invites to special events?  It's May.  Does it strike anyone else as odd that Apple has only made one major announcement this year?  Why would Apple wait to make all of its major hardware announcements at the Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11th?  I would think they'd focus solely on OS X & iOS there.  In the past Apple sprinkled its product announcements throughout the year, whether it was MacBook Pro or iMac or iPhone.  Thus far in 2012 we only have the new iPad — in a year that Tim Cook announced was "just the beginning." Good start, but it's since fallen flat.  Intel has new processors for MacBook Pros and Mac Pros ready to go.  So where's the new stuff?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Does it strike anyone else as odd that Apple has only made one major announcement this year?

Not really.

Quote:

Why would Apple wait to make all of its major hardware announcements at the Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11th?

I know; that just makes no sense at all, does it? I certainly hope that's not what they do.

Quote:

I would think they'd focus solely on OS X & iOS there.

I would HOPE they'd focus solely on OS X and iOS there… 

Quote:

Good start, but it's since fallen flat.

Not like there's no precedent for that. 2007 was "the year of the Mac". Look how well THAT worked: "Computer" removed from the company name, Leopard pushed back to make way for a phone, virtually no actual Mac announcements at all…

Quote:

Intel has new processors for MacBook Pros and Mac Pros ready to go.  So where's the new stuff?

If they're doing with the MacBook Pro line what I think they're doing, they have to wait for MacBook Air chips to be available before they can announce either line.

• Reply 2 of 60
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

It would be nice to see a quad-core/discrete graphics mini for $999.

• Reply 3 of 60
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I would like to see an external graphics card similar to what Sony introduced last year that connects via Thunderbird. That way I could use it on my Mini and MacBook Air. I know you can now buy an external PCIe box with four slots but it costs a small fortune.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Where are the invites to special events?  It's May.  Does it strike anyone else as odd that Apple has only made one major announcement this year?  Why would Apple wait to make all of its major hardware announcements at the Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11th?  I would think they'd focus solely on OS X & iOS there.  In the past Apple sprinkled its product announcements throughout the year, whether it was MacBook Pro or iMac or iPhone.  Thus far in 2012 we only have the new iPad — in a year that Tim Cook announced was "just the beginning." Good start, but it's since fallen flat.  Intel has new processors for MacBook Pros and Mac Pros ready to go.  So where's the new stuff?

Why would you take executive speak to mean anything? Second note that we haven't seen a lot of components shipping in volume. Intel got burned with early Sandy Bridge issues last year, so they are being more cautious on their releases. You'll see Ivy Bridge Macs before too long. The iphone was updated late last year, so it's not really due for an update yet. The people who expected another within a few months were just those who didn't like the update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I would like to see an external graphics card similar to what Sony introduced last year that connects via Thunderbird. That way I could use it on my Mini and MacBook Air. I know you can now buy an external PCIe box with four slots but it costs a small fortune.

You don't seem to be alone in this kind of thinking, but it still makes no sense to me. At the point you start investing quite a lot in the mini, the imac starts to make seemingly more sense for most things. With the Air, I really don't understand. I mean is it that you just require the option of bringing them along occasionally? Keep in mind that the air also has a lower bandwidth chip. Anyway I doubt Apple will do this, so you'd be dependent on a third party. Unless the Windows side adopts thunderbolt with a matching connector, the prices are likely to remain high due to an extremely limited market for this kind of thing. Note how exotic accessories often seem overpriced.

• Reply 5 of 60
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Why would you take executive speak to mean anything? Second note that we haven't seen a lot of components shipping in volume. Intel got burned with early Sandy Bridge issues last year, so they are being more cautious on their releases. You'll see Ivy Bridge Macs before too long. The iphone was updated late last year, so it's not really due for an update yet. The people who expected another within a few months were just those who didn't like the update.

I'm not too concerned with the iOS products.  They're OK, and they've got an obvious trend.  The Mac stuff on the other hand...  I understand that some components aren't shipping in volume but geez, that Mac Pro offering is very stale and I believe those parts are available now, yes?

• Reply 6 of 60

Quote:

The Mac stuff on the other hand...  I understand that some components aren't shipping in volume but geez, that Mac Pro offering is very stale and I believe those parts are available now, yes?

As of only a month or so ago. None of Apple's competitors are shipping Sandy Bridge Xeons yet, even.

• Reply 7 of 60

I'm starting to grow weary, forgive me.  It seems like things are taking a really long time.

• Reply 8 of 60

Quote:

I'm starting to grow weary, forgive me.  It seems like things are taking a really long time.

My mom's waiting for the new MacBook Pro (well, MacBook, if things go well) line, too. She's no techie, but she asks me every day, "Did they announce the new ones yet?"

There's a song from the early '80s, I believe, that sums this up well.

• Reply 9 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well you aren't they only one wondering!

They probably have technology coming together outside of the Intel chips. This may require a wait but I dont see WWDC as the hold up for the Laptops. The more we wait he more I think major overhal.

You concerns are noted but this isn't the first time Apple has waited to WWDC.
    dhagan4755 wrote: »
  • Reply 10 of 60
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

Yeah Dell doesn't even have the configuration options up for their new workstations yet. I at least like messing around with the configurations for fun.

• Reply 11 of 60

Quote:

I'm not too concerned with the iOS products.  They're OK, and they've got an obvious trend.  The Mac stuff on the other hand...  I understand that some components aren't shipping in volume but geez, that Mac Pro offering is very stale and I believe those parts are available now, yes?

Technically it is available, but it hasn't been widely adopted in shipping machines yet. Intel wanted to be able to say they were launched, so they got it to that point. Overall they've been far more cautious this year given the Sandy Bridge issues last year. Stepping problems were rumored to push back Sandy Bridge E before. I can't remember what caused problems with the initial Sandy Bridge release. Anyway I don't think they want to eat a huge loss again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This may require a wait but I dont see WWDC as the hold up for the Laptops. The more we wait he more I think major overhal.

You concerns are noted but this isn't the first time Apple has waited to WWDC.

I don't think they've announced much in the way of hardware at WWDC over the past couple years.

• Reply 12 of 60
    womblingfreewomblingfree Posts: 206member

Quote:

It's been 196 days since the last Macbook Pro update, more than a month less than even the shortest previous gap between updates. Although the last one was only a minor bump.

On the other hand it's over a year since the iMac got even a minor bump, the longest ever gap.

I'd have thought they'll certainly announce iMacs at the developers conference, possibly along with the new Macbook line, with or without the Pro suffix.

But yeah, it does feel like an age since anything happened. I'm having to fight off buying an iPad just out of pure boredom.

• Reply 13 of 60
    tony3dtony3d Posts: 47member
    As of only a month or so ago. None of Apple's competitors are shipping Sandy Bridge Xeons yet, even.

HP sure the hell is. I just configured one last week! Sorry, but Apple is out of exuses.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The Mini and Air chips don't come out until June 5th so that puts them out for now.

The iMac chips are out and the update is long overdue but I expect it will lose the optical drive, which means a redesign.

The Macbook Pro chips are out but only for the 15", not the 13".

The Mac Pro chips are out but they aren't significantly faster and the Mac Pro needs a redesign due to Thunderbolt. It may not be updated at all though.

They could possibly update the iMac without an event but resolution independence is an important development for the iMac so I think they'd rather ship the new machines with 10.8.

While there could be an event for the MBP, it would leave the 13" MBP sitting without a redesign in the same group as redesigned 15" models and resolution independence matters for laptops too.

IMO, this points to all updates coming after 10.8 is released at WWDC. It's only 4 weeks away and a special event would dilute the content at WWDC. I don't think Cook can carry an event with very little content so it's better to jam as much into the keynote as possible.
  • Reply 15 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

1. The Mac Pro chips are out but they aren't significantly faster and the Mac Pro needs a redesign due to Thunderbolt. It may not be updated at all though.

2. They could possibly update the iMac without an event but resolution independence is an important development for the iMac so I think they'd rather ship the new machines with 10.8.

3. While there could be an event for the MBP, it would leave the 13" MBP sitting without a redesign in the same group as redesigned 15" models and resolution independence matters for laptops too.

4. IMO, this points to all updates coming after 10.8 is released at WWDC. It's only 4 weeks away and a special event would dilute the content at WWDC. I don't think Cook can carry an event with very little content so it's better to jam as much into the keynote as possible.

1. The Mac Pro needs Thunderbolt & an overhaul.  It just needs to come out.  This is probably the most ridiculous.

2.  R.I. already exists in Lion but I read it may be improving in Mountain Lion.

3.  Why should Apple wait?  Seems silly to me!

4.  Mountain Lion is a late summer release.  That could be September.  Would Apple let its hardware lines languish for Mountain Lion.  Again seems silly to me!

• Reply 16 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony3d View Post

HP sure the hell is. I just configured one last week! Sorry, but Apple is out of exuses.

Apparently they are starting to ship. I don't see the custom configurations available on those yet, but I may have missed them. Apple has never been the first to update. A few mentally handicapped individuals claim that they get first pick on computer parts, so everyone always expects them to update before anyone else. The times that has happened, it has been explained by other factors. Now obviously they have have contracts, which would put them ahead of distributors, but that's about as far as anyone should expect it to go. They've always been pretty random. I don't think there's much that can be done about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The Mac Pro chips are out but they aren't significantly faster and the Mac Pro needs a redesign due to Thunderbolt. It may not be updated at all though.

I know this is the popular rumor, but none of us have any real information on it.

• Reply 17 of 60
    tony3d wrote: »

Yes but did you actually buy one and get a shipping date. I actually thinking you are running out of things to whine about.
  • Reply 18 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yes but did you actually buy one and get a shipping date. I actually thinking you are running out of things to whine about.

It says, "Ships 5/16/2012".

But it says that even if I configure with dual top-end processors, 256 gigabytes of RAM, dual nVidia 6000 chips, and a Tegra card. So take that as you will. image

• Reply 19 of 60
    Marvin wrote: »
    The Mini and Air chips don't come out until June 5th so that puts them out for now.
    If they really wanted too, they could do a Mini with the current Ivy Bridge chips. That may mean beefing up the power supply but that isn't impossible, and they could potentially save considerable power elsewhere.

The AIRs on the other hand will not ship at all with the current IB chips.
    The iMac chips are out and the update is long overdue but I expect it will lose the optical drive, which means a redesign.
    The iMac could win big time with IB. While loosing the optical is possible, the motivation to redesign should revolve around other issues. Either way I suspect the new iMacs will be very nice.
    The Macbook Pro chips are out but only for the 15", not the 13".
    I'm not too sure about the 13" model. Given the right arrangement of hardware, a new 13" designed around the current IB chips would certainly stand apart from the AIRs.
    Sandy Bridge E is much faster for certain work loads. It has a much faster memory subsystem and a few other advantages. Of course it might not mean much for the average app used on the Pro.
    They could possibly update the iMac without an event but resolution independence is an important development for the iMac so I think they'd rather ship the new machines with 10.8.
    10.8 has been said to come in late summer, I can't see Apple waiting that long.
    While there could be an event for the MBP, it would leave the 13" MBP sitting without a redesign in the same group as redesigned 15" models and resolution independence matters for laptops too.
    IMO, this points to all updates coming after 10.8 is released at WWDC. It's only 4 weeks away and a special event would dilute the content at WWDC. I don't think Cook can carry an event with very little content so it's better to jam as much into the keynote as possible.

If new hardware comes at WWDC it will be for reasons other than 10.8.
  • Reply 20 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It says, "Ships 5/16/2012".

But it says that even if I configure with dual top-end processors, 256 gigabytes of RAM, dual nVidia 6000 chips, and a Tegra card. So take that as you will. image

Well maybe there's hope that Mac Pro updates will happen very soon!