Microsoft looks to woo iCloud users with SkyDrive comparison webpage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In its bid for a slice of the growing cloud computing market, Microsoft recently launched a webpage advertising the company's SkyDrive cross-platform document storage and sharing solution by highlighting the advantages it has over Apple's iCloud.

The page (via The Next Web), titled "iCloud not enough? Try SkyDrive," points out that SkyDrive offers features not included in iCloud like collaborative document editing, note sharing and cross-platform accessibility.

A featured video, encoded in Microsoft's proprietary Silverlight format and thus not viewable on iOS devices, points out that SkyDrive users can access files on any device, while iCloud is currently limited to certain documents created in iWorks and files from third party apps that make use of Apple's API.

iCloud's implementation of document access and sharing is cumbersome when compared to other iOS-centric services like Contact and Calendar updates, and Microsoft Office files can be even more challenging to work with. SkyDrive expectedly handles the latter much more seamlessly by using a simple drag-and-drop UI that works between operating systems or the SkyDrive web app.

Like Google's recently-released Google Drive, Microsoft's service also allows for file sharing and collaboration, though only Office documents are supported at this time. The system is basically Microsoft's version of the Google Docs collection of web apps with expanded standalone desktop application integration.

Finally, SkyDrive boasts a note-sharing feature that is passed through Microsoft's service or the popular app OneNote. The webpage points out that while notes can be synced and accessed across devices with iCloud, the service lacks the ability to share your notes and to-dos.

SkyDrive
Microsoft's iCloud-targeted SkyDrive webpage video can't be viewed on iDevices. | Source: Microsoft

SkyDrive, initially the codename of Windows Live Folders, has gone through numerous upgrades since its launch in 2007. Most recently the service added mobile apps for iOS and Windows Phone devices in December 2011.

It remains to be seen whether Microsoft can draw any users from iCloud as Apple's service is the de facto standard for iDevices.

During Apple's second quarter 2012 earnings call in April, it was announced that the number of iCloud users had swelled to over 125 million, up from 85 million in January.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Where's the legally required disclaimer at the bottom of the page that says iCloud is a trademark of Apple Inc.?

And no, that's not my only complaint with this page of theirs. image

• Reply 2 of 85
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Try the following on an iPad:

1) Visit that Microsoft web page.
    2) Scroll to the bottom and notice the iPad screenshot, which clearly shows they are targeting iPad owners with SkyDrive.
    3) Now scroll back to the too of that page and note that you cannot watch the video on your iPad! What the heck?!

Clearly, this is evidence of what you're going to get (or rather, what you won't be getting) if you sign up for SkyDrive.

All said, I myself see no reason to abandon DropBox for this.
  • Reply 3 of 85
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

That page requires Microsoft's Silverlight. It already failed.

• Reply 4 of 85
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Curious. I sync Notes across devices via the Cloud. Where do they get that claim from?

• Reply 5 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

That page requires Microsoft's Silverlight.

For what?

• Reply 6 of 85
    davidod315davidod315 Posts: 24member

Wow, that video really lacks polish.

• Reply 7 of 85

Love how they tried to target us Apple fans with the white background driving music, simple etc. but did it in a dorky Microsoft way.

• Reply 8 of 85
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Just be aware that you may need to rename your files if you've used characters that Windows doesn't like. For example, it won't let you use "report 3/1/07" or "June 2007 P&L".

So much for 'cross-platform compatibility'.
  • Reply 9 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just be aware that you may need to rename your files if you've used characters that Windows doesn't like. For example, it won't let you use "report 3/1/07" or "June 2007 P&L".

So much for 'cross-platform compatibility'.

Wait, you can't type an ampersand in Windows? Ha! What happens if you view an HFS+… ah, I'll just check it myself. 

Can you type colons in Windows file names?

• Reply 10 of 85
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Microwho?
  • Reply 11 of 85

That is one no budget video.

• Reply 12 of 85
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Why did AI update their forum software to work even worse than before on iPhones? I wouldn't have thought that was even possible!
  • Reply 13 of 85
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Why did AI update their forum software to work even worse than before on iPhones? I wouldn't have thought that was even possible!

I found Dolphin HD to work the best if your interested.

• Reply 14 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by universeman View Post

Love how they tried to target us Apple fans with the white background driving music, simple etc. but did it in a dorky Microsoft way.

Um normally I would agree that a lot if sites copy Apple but Micosoft, no. Their site looks like a, well Microsoft site.

• Reply 15 of 85
    mgleetmgleet Posts: 28member
    The only thing SkyDrive can do on iOS is give you access to your stored files and upload photos. So I'm a tad confused as to what Microsoft is trying to entice iOS users towards. And because iCloud isn't on other platforms, the only reason iCloud isn't enough is because those users don't have access to it.

I'm sure that one could argue that SkyDrive competes just a little bit with iCloud on OSX, but Microsoft's focus seems to be on both OSX and iOS devices.

So what is Microsoft trying to accomplish? It competes with iCloud in almost no way on almost no platforms. Dropbox and Google Drive are where its focus should be.
  • Reply 16 of 85
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Free stuff may as well use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I found Dolphin HD to work the best if your interested.

That's on an iPad, how do you get it on an iPhone?

• Reply 17 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For what?

Yea I don't know either I've had a Skydrive account since it's introduction and use it daily with Safari so I don't know what he's talking about. Even the online web apps like MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint work great. Which by the way is the main reason why everyone should have a Skydrive account, forget the storage everyone has that but no one does an online word processor like Microsoft.

• Reply 18 of 85
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

I don't really get why MS is targeting iCloud. Skydrive and iCloud don't really seem to be competitors. iCloud makes sense for people who have invested in the Apple ecosystem. If you have, then Skydrive won't be as useful for you; if you haven't, then you're probably not using iCloud anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, you can't type an ampersand in Windows? Ha! What happens if you view an HFS+… ah, I'll just check it myself. 

Can you type colons in Windows file names?

You can use an ampersand in a Windows file name - but Dropbox wouldn't let me sync a file between Windows and Mac with an ampersand in it, either. 

You can't use a colon at all. The following characters are not allowed in a Windows file name: \ / : * ? " < > |

• Reply 19 of 85
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mgleet wrote: »
    The only thing SkyDrive can do on iOS is give you access to your stored files and upload photos. So I'm a tad confused as to what Microsoft is trying to entice iOS users towards. And because iCloud isn't on other platforms, the only reason iCloud isn't enough is because those users don't have access to it.
    I'm sure that one could argue that SkyDrive competes just a little bit with iCloud on OSX, but Microsoft's focus seems to be on both OSX and iOS devices.
    So what is Microsoft trying to accomplish? It competes with iCloud in almost no way on almost no platforms. Dropbox and Google Drive are where its focus should be.

The bolded sentence is incorrect. iCloud is supported on PCs:
    http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/
    The capabilities are somewhat limited (obviously, since Address Book doesn't work on Windows, it can't sync Address Book, but iCloud is supported at some level.
  • Reply 20 of 85
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

iCloud is plainly focused on OSX and iLife users with iOS devices too. MS is totally wasting its time targeting that market. the one and only useful thing MS has to offer OSX and iOS users is the Office suite - except there is no Office iOS app (yet). and all the iOS app Office alternatives have their own cloud sync.

as usual, MS is a day late and a dollar short.