Sprint CEO returns $3.25M in pay after shareholders deride Apple deal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    dequardodequardo Posts: 29member

Duh.  Of course their users use WiFi.  They are stuck on a 3G network.  Wait until the iP5 comes out and they have no LTE footprint.  THEN the howling will really ramp up.

• Reply 22 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dequardo View Post

Duh.  Of course their users use WiFi.  They are stuck on a 3G network.  Wait until the iP5 comes out and they have no LTE footprint.  THEN the howling will really ramp up.

But Sprint has LTE. And everyone else is also "stuck" on a 3G network. And the 5th iPhone is already released.

• Reply 23 of 44
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member

Quote:

The iPhone "5" is the 4S (5th generation)... when the 6th generation comes out later this year, Sprint could be in trouble if they don't have a substantial LTE footprint in place. 

I'm not holding my breath that AT&T will have it in my area by then, but I'll (hopefully) upgrade anyway. 

• Reply 24 of 44
    jbilgihanjbilgihan Posts: 55member

As long as ATT and Verizon back out of their "unlimited" data plans people will switch to Sprint (unless their work pays for the phone).  Sprint has an LTE network and will get the LTE iPhone.  As customers compare real data plans and look at no unlimited LTE with ATT and Verizon and unlimited LTE with Sprint the choice gets much easier.  Over the course of a 2 year contract Sprint will grow their LTE to cover more of the country.

I think Sprint will grow into a strong competitor to ATT and Verizon.

James

• Reply 25 of 44

"iPhone users use less data but they somehow make up 95% of all web traffic?  I'm curious how this adds up."

Probably because Sprint is so slow that even if their users were on 3G continuously, they wouldn't suck that much data down. image

• Reply 26 of 44
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

I read in this that Hesse was protecting employees' interests from the negative effect of the investment with Apple by excluding the cost of Sprint's contract from the calculation of employee bonuses.  Then, to appease investors he returned his own benefits.  If true, he's a great boss to have. :)

• Reply 27 of 44
    drobforeverdrobforever Posts: 400member

A great boss but a terrible CEO.

• Reply 28 of 44
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

A great boss but a terrible CEO.

Exactly

• Reply 29 of 44
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's interesting how Hesse's statements disagree with AT&T's. AT&T claims that iPhone users use a lot of data while Sprint says they do not.

Define 'a lot'. ATT has a lot more iPhone customers so they could be viewing everything over 1GB as 'a lot', particularly when they have millions of customers at that level. 

Sprint on the other hand has many fewer iPhone customers so them them 'a lot' could be over 3GB. and given their service issues since they got the iPhone few folks have probably hit that level at least on a regular basis

• Reply 30 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Define 'a lot'. ATT has a lot more iPhone customers so they could be viewing everything over 1GB as 'a lot', particularly when they have millions of customers at that level. 

Sprint on the other hand has many fewer iPhone customers so them them 'a lot' could be over 3GB. and given their service issues since they got the iPhone few folks have probably hit that level at least on a regular basis

Read AT&T's interpretation here:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/04/att_ceo_bemoans_iphone_unlimited_data_imessage.html

He's obviously referring to usage per user.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member

Smart CEO.

Sprint has amazign customer retention and currently the best pricing plans.

They also don't complain to customers for giving them what they want (*ahem* ATT*cough*"unlimited...*)

Of course the company is taking a risk.  That is what the greats do.

I also imagine that allows Sprint a great deal on the phones.

This guy is maing baseline moves that will serve his company very well in the near term and long term.

Similar to what Apple did with NAND Flash.

Some investors simply can't see beyond what's directly in front of them.

I just hope they give him back his 3+ million with interest in a few years!

• Reply 32 of 44
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member

dbl

• Reply 33 of 44
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Sprint is like a big dog turd that people are trying to remoisten every time it starts to dry out.  It's a dog turd and will always be one.  Let it dry out and break up into little pieces and be reclaimed by nature.

In my opinion sprint is worthless.  They have tries to rip people off for many years.  Taken advantage of their money and promised things that never came to the light of day.  It would please me greatly to see sprint get chopped up by the other carriers and sold off.  An estate sale.

• Reply 34 of 44
    dequardodequardo Posts: 29member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

The iPhone "5" is the 4S (5th generation)... when the 6th generation comes out later this year, Sprint could be in trouble if they don't have a substantial LTE footprint in place. 

I'm not holding my breath that AT&T will have it in my area by then, but I'll (hopefully) upgrade anyway. 

Fine.  6th generation. iPhone 5.   Still won't be an LTE footprint to make any dent by then,  How's WiMax working years down the road???

One bitten twice shy.

• Reply 35 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Fine.  6th generation. iPhone 5.   

No. Six. image

Quote:

Still won't be an LTE footprint to make any dent by then,

How do you know that? And how much LTE does AT&T have? Verizon should have a fair bit by October, for sure, but even they'll still be dots on a map, not a connected blob.

• Reply 36 of 44
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    jragosta wrote: »
    It's interesting how Hesse's statements disagree with AT&T's. AT&T claims that iPhone users use a lot of data while Sprint says they do not.
    As for the rest, it shows a clear short term view by the shareholders. If Hesse is correct, then the investment in iPhones will pay off because iPhone customers are more profitable for the carrier. It is not surprising that the benefit is in the future - that's the nature of the mobile business in the U.S. The carrier provides a large subsidy on new phones so they are in the hole at the start and only recover that investment over time. Note how AT&T's profits dropped temporarily when the iPhone was first introduced. If the investors don't understand the nature of the business, maybe they should invest in a different stock.

I also thought it was interesting to juxtapose Hesse's attitude with Stephenson's. Summarized as: "those who don't have it want it, and those have it forgot how much business and prestige it brought them and wish they didn't have it because it highlights the deficiencies in their network."

In reality, long before iPhone came out, the carriers were struggling to find out how to sell people their data services (those first-gen networks were only dialup speed), and of course, few people had smartphones, and the majority of Americans just paid for and used voice service. iPhone solved that by making smartphones attractive to everyone, not just corporate manager types who needed to be on email all the time. I used mobile IE on Windows Mobile and it was full of fail. The first Safari browser on the first iPhone was a revelation. And it brought demand for "mobile Internet" out of a business niche. Now it seems that everyone has a data plan. That's progress. Too bad AT&T's Stephenson has to be a Luddite about it.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    bobouchesbobouches Posts: 3member

Agree 100%.

I am new Sprint customer. I have terrible 3G speed and complained about it up to FCC. Sprint respond - "By the contract, SPRINT do not guaranteed   Data speed and service availability..." In plain English - give us your money and stop whining!

• Reply 38 of 44
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Smart CEO.

Sprint has amazign customer retention...

You lost me there.  They're losing customers, right?

• Reply 39 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Sprint is like a big dog turd that people are trying to remoisten every time it starts to dry out.  It's a dog turd and will always be one.  Let it dry out and break up into little pieces and be reclaimed by nature.

In my opinion sprint is worthless.  They have tries to rip people off for many years.  Taken advantage of their money and promised things that never came to the light of day.  It would please me greatly to see sprint get chopped up by the other carriers and sold off.  An estate sale.

So, what are all these other great US carriers that don't strive to do those things you mentioned? Please, I'm dying from curiosity. You just described pretty much every carrier in existence, but in my experience Sprint is less guilty than others of these transgressions, and its the lesser of the other evils. Your seems utterly lacking in any kind of objectivity. 

• Reply 40 of 44
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

iphone users try to connect to wifi whenever they can. I'm on the unlimited plan on Verizon (grandfathered) and I barely use 250MB of 3G data a month.

Wow, you should let someone els use it. I wouldn't brag about that if I were you, yes you have a grandfathered unlimited data but it still costs more then your average data plan that only has 250MB a month. So your throwing money out of the window. I also have an unlimited data plan and even when I use the network lightly I use about 50MB a day. My average total per month is about 12GB, that's what an unlimited data plan is for not 250MB.