Reported AppleCare training points to June Mountain Lion launch

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) division of AppleCare is allegedly hiring and training new staff on certain aspects of Apple's upcoming OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, possibly hinting that a release date is soon to arrive.

According to an unnamed source familiar with the matter, AppleCare EMEA is hiring a number of new employees who will serve as customer support for the new operating system that has yet to receive an official launch date.

The source went on to say that Mountain Lion may be just a few weeks from launch as internal training recently commenced regarding certain facets of the operating system. Apple usually restricts the operating window of support staff training to a minimum before large product release presumably to avoid leaks.

Though purely speculation, the training could point to a OS X 10.8 debut at WWDC 2012 which is scheduled to take place from June 11 to June 15.

Although AppleInsider cannot validate the claims, the source has proved accurate in previous reports.

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion was announced on Feb. 16 with an expected release date of summer 2012. Beyond the basic information provided on Apple's website, developer previews have revealed that the new OS will offer a bevy of new features like Messages and more comprehensive integration with iCloud that will further blur the line between OS X and iOS.

Mountain Lion

It was recently reported that Apple accidentally revealed a banner notification on its iCloud.com website, a feature that will also be included in Mountain Lion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple.

The only bastards who make you wish you had a time machine so that you could go FORWARDS in time.
  • Reply 1 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The fact that they show pictures of the iMac and MacBook in the Mountain Lion advertisement is perhaps an indication that : One, there will not be any new iMac or MacBooks released in conjunction with the June release of ML or Two, the new computers will not have any redesigned form factors just spec bumps.

Otherwise they would have designed an ad that focused on the software without making the computers themselves so prominent. I for one really need both a new notebook and a new desktop so I'm looking forward to a hardware release announcement.

• Reply 3 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Apple.

The only bastards who make you wish you had a time machine so that you could go FORWARDS in time.

You're joking, right? That's the first thing I'd do if I had a time machine.

Go to the future, find out the price of a telomere treatment and the cost of a modern personal computing device, then go to the past, buy then-$1,000 worth of gold, THEN go BACK to the future, sell the gold at an absurdly-inflated price, and buy yourself a telomere treatment and a PCD.

THEN go back to the present and barter a job at Apple for exclusive access to the PCD.

• Reply 4 of 20
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're joking, right? That's the first thing I'd do if I had a time machine.

Go to the future, find out the price of a telomere treatment and the cost of a modern personal computing device, then go to the past, buy then-$1,000 worth of gold, THEN go BACK to the future, sell the gold at an absurdly-inflated price, and buy yourself a telomere treatment and a PCD.

THEN go back to the present and barter a job at Apple for exclusive access to the PCD.

I'd go back to 1996 and buy £10,000 worth of Apple stock... And go to future to work out when I should sell.

• Reply 5 of 20
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

They need to fix a LOT of instability and get a huge number of developers on board with Gatekeeper credentials and sandboxing. I think they're months away from achieving those goals and expect Mountain Lion to be a late summer release.

• Reply 6 of 20
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The fact that they show pictures of the iMac and MacBook in the Mountain Lion advertisement is perhaps an indication that : One, there will not be any new iMac or MacBooks released in conjunction with the June release of ML or Two, the new computers will not have any redesigned form factors just spec bumps.

Otherwise they would have designed an ad that focused on the software without making the computers themselves so prominent. I for one really need both a new notebook and a new desktop so I'm looking forward to a hardware release announcement.

Yes because a forward facing view reveals so much to what a top-down and side-view don't?

• Reply 7 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

…get a huge number of developers on board with Gatekeeper credentials and sandboxing.

They'd prefer simply Mac App Store releases, you know. Having only a small number of out of Store developers probably won't concern them much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That has never been the case in the past, though. They just swap out new computer models and keep the images the same. Just like they swap out images and keep the computers the same every time they do a new OS update.

• Reply 8 of 20
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I'd go back to 1996 and buy £10,000 worth of Apple stock... And go to future to work out when I should sell.

You guys have such small aspirations. I'd go back to 1492 and buy Manhatten Island off the Indians for loose change. Then back to 2012 and start collecting the rent ;-)

• Reply 9 of 20
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cgj wrote: »
    The problem is taking money back in time with you. If it's cash you might think all you need is to make sure all the currency is from 1996 or earlier.

However that won't work because they will now be duplicate bills. While this would be a unique case of counterfeiting in that there would only be 2 of every bill instead of hundreds or thousands the fact that you'd have pushed all these duplicate bills to the same source at once could be tracked down.

Your best bet, if you were to bring back cash, is to switch out the currency in various places that would not have a record before doing that stock purchase. That of course takes time and money that you might not want to use.

What you could do is go back in time with the knowledge of one of those multi-state lottery numbers and take the lump sum of hundreds of millions. I would first set up a business for it to help hide your identity and win it on the biggest day but on a day that no one else won so you are being somewhat ethical. Now you still have the problem of proving your identity. If you are old enough and/or the timeframe short enough you could probably pass as a yourself or you might have to let the younger version of yourself in on the deal.

Or you could go back far enough to where there are no digital records and precious metals can be used as currency you could invest in some great companies from the ground up.

But I wouldn't do any of that. I'd use my time machine for other, more nefarious, things. For example, I just my time machine to go back and wipe out AI forum troll AndyDroid's parents from existence. Oh, you've never heard of this poster? EXACTLY!

hentaiboy wrote: »
     You guys have such small aspirations. I'd go back to 1492 and buy Manhatten Island off the Indians for loose change. Then back to 2012 and start collecting the rent ;-)
    You're thinking small. I'd go back about 2013 years, slip a family Flunitrazepam, artificially inseminate a women... (you see where I'm going with this)

bregalad wrote: »
    They need to fix a LOT of instability and get a huge number of developers on board with Gatekeeper credentials and sandboxing. I think they're months away from achieving those goals and expect Mountain Lion to be a late summer release.
    I would have thought a June release would be impossible but this Software Update to Preview 3 has fixed a great many issues. I also wonder if new Macs to be released this Summer will have HiDPI displays that require ML to take advantage of the new resolution. Outside of those two things I still think it's highly unlikely to happen in June.

cgj wrote: »
    If we're going to be silly, I'd learn to ride the unicycle then go back in time to before man had the wheel so i could be a god.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The problem is taking money back in time with you. If it's cash you might think all you need is to make sure all the currency is from 1996 or earlier.

However that won't work because they will now be duplicate bills. While this would be a unique case of counterfeiting in that there would only be 2 of every bill instead of hundreds or thousands the fact that you'd have pushed all these duplicate bills to the same source at once could be tracked down.

Your best bet, if you were to bring back cash, is to switch out the currency in various places that would not have a record before doing that stock purchase. That of course takes time and money that you might not want to use.

What you could do is go back in time with the knowledge of one of those multi-state lottery numbers and take the lump sum of hundreds of millions. I would first set up a business for it to help hide your identity and win it on the biggest day but on a day that no one else won so you are being somewhat ethical. Now you still have the problem of proving your identity. If you are old enough and/or the timeframe short enough you could probably pass as a yourself or you might have to let the younger version of yourself in on the deal.

Or you could go back far enough to where there are no digital records and precious metals can be used as currency you could invest in some great companies from the ground up.

But I wouldn't do any of that. I'd use my time machine for other, more nefarious, things. For example, I just my time machine to go back and wipe out AI forum troll AndyDroid's parents from existence. Oh, you've never heard of this poster? EXACTLY!

You're thinking small. I'd go back about 2013 years, slip a family Flunitrazepam, artificially inseminate a women... (you see where I'm going with this)

I would have thought a June release would be impossible but this Software Update to Preview 3 has fixed a great many issues. I also wonder if new Macs to be released this Summer will have HiDPI displays that require ML to take advantage of the new resolution. Outside of those two things I still think it's highly unlikely to happen in June.

If we're going to be silly, I'd learn to ride the unicycle then go back in time to before man had the wheel so i could be a god.

You're still screwing someone over though. Someone would've eventually bought the winning ticket of subsequent drawing. Their prize now will be dramatically less. You're better off winning the smaller prize that is 1 less than the jackpot. take the few hundred thousand and invest. The lesser prizes are awarded regardless and you don't really screw anyone over except the state. You go find your younger self and assuming you don't destroy the universe, get them to use their own money to buy ticket(s) and instructions to what to buy and when and possibly sell. Also maybe bring a sports almanac with you but watch out for an old guy. 

• Reply 11 of 20
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd go back to 1985 and get in line earlier for tickets to Pee Wee's Big Adventure so I wouldn't have to sit behind that tall guy like last time.

• Reply 12 of 20
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is the most awesomely stupid thread I'm had the pleasure of participating in.
  • Reply 13 of 20

Yeah, there are better sources for OS X news.

• Reply 14 of 20
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You do understand that this is standard practice for Apple. A new version of the OS virtually never coincides with new model Macs. In the rare cases that new computers are introduced with new versions of the OS, they are very much the exceptions.

• Reply 15 of 20
    solipsismx wrote: »

This is how you get past the whole paradox thing real fast. As yourself, win the lottery (not the big one, but maybe just a couple sets of a few thousand each so you don't have to pay taxes right away). Then, you go and quietly invest it in your name, but have them hold on to it. When you get back to your normal time, lots of cash. :D
  • Reply 16 of 20
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member

Remind me again when 10.8.2 is released.

• Reply 17 of 20
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

A little birdie tells me that OS X 10.8 DP3 is looking pretty solid. ;-)

• Reply 18 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

A little birdie tells me that OS X 10.8 DP3 is looking pretty solid. ;-)

We talkin' 'bout the same DP3? Sure you don't mean 3.1?

• Reply 19 of 20
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member

Not gonna happen, the OS just isn't far enough along yet.  They originally announced "late summer" and Cook reiterated that on the recent earnings call.

Maybe a little earlier than the very end of summer, but no way it will ship in 4-7 weeks.

• Reply 20 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You do understand that this is standard practice for Apple. A new version of the OS virtually never coincides with new model Macs. In the rare cases that new computers are introduced with new versions of the OS, they are very much the exceptions.

Maybe not coincide to the exact day but there are numerous cases of very close proximity. Since we are expecting iMac and possibly MBP updates soon I was hoping it would be close to or in advance of the launch date of ML.

Feb 28 2001 Power Mac G4 (667 and 733)

March 24, 2001 Mac OS X 10.0

July 18, 2001 Power Mac G4 Quicksilver

September 25, 2001 Mac OS X 10.1

August 24, 2002 Mac OS X 10.2 

Aug 13, 2002 Power Macintosh G4 MDD

Oct 22, 2003 iBook G4

October 24, 2003 Mac OS X 10.3  

April 29, 2005 Mac OS X 10.4 

Apr 27, 2005 Power Mac G5 

Nov 1, 2007 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz

October 26, 2007 Mac OS X 10.5