T-Mobile planning network compatibility with Apple's iPhone by end of year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member

Given T-Mumble's track record, THIS IS A LIE.

• Reply 22 of 34
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not happening.

Don't go out on a limb with that.

• Reply 23 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Don't go out on a limb with that.

Apple's not buying a carrier, nor becoming one themselves.

And T-Mobile has just stated they'll be supporting existing iPhones' 3G. They'll get to 4G eventually, and that's not even the point. A dozen or so odd regional carriers have the iPhone now, they don't have LTE, and people still use them.

• Reply 24 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I'm on T-Mobile with an iPhone and I like their plans and service. What I don't like is being told that my iPhone is not-supported.

T-Mobile needs to:

1. Fully support iPhones as if they were purchased from them. There are so few models, that shouldn't be hard.

2. Make up for T-Mobile's current deficiencies. Offer iPhone users extra benefits (i.e. free SMS) until the new 3G/4G/LTE data services come online.

After all, we brought our own phones to T-Mobile. It didn't have to subsidize their cost. That should count for something.

They problem is that T-Mobile can NOT fully support the iPhone (ie: Offer 3G support) until Apple delivers a iPhone that supports T-Mobile's CURRENT 1700MHz 3G frequency (something that they deliberately did NOT do [for whatever reason - possibly partly due to AT&T's attempt to subsume T-Mobile] with the iPhone4S). Current iPhones that use 1900Mhz (like AT&T) will be usable on T-Mobile as they introduce 1900MHz service as they are promised.

• Reply 25 of 34
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I'm on T-Mobile with an iPhone and I like their plans and service. What I don't like is being told that my iPhone is not-supported.

T-Mobile needs to:

1. Fully support iPhones as if they were purchased from them. There are so few models, that shouldn't be hard.

2. Make up for T-Mobile's current deficiencies. Offer iPhone users extra benefits (i.e. free SMS) until the new 3G/4G/LTE data services come online.

3. After all, we brought our own phones to T-Mobile. It didn't have to subsidize their cost. That should count for something.

1. How? If your device somehow fails are they supposed to troubleshoot it for you? If they have some network setting that needs to be changed, how would they do that since the phone is designed to not be supported on their freaks?

2. Why should they offer one customer special deals that others don't get simply because they have a different phone? It's not their fault that Apple chose to use a different chipset that doesn't support their network, and it's not Apple's fault they use a different freak either. T-Mobile isn't responsible for you or anyone else buying an incompatible device and you saying they should is ridiculous.

3. And they didn't tell you your phone was supported, quite the opposite in fact and it's well known it doesn't work with their 3G bands. Why do you think it's okay to buy something that isn't made for the service you use and then demand that they bend to your desires when you bought the wrong device? They shouldn't subsidized your ill informed decision. (Maybe you did know it was unsupported, but that doesn't excuse the fact you're making ridiculous demands.)

They are already bending over backwards to accommodate customers with incompatible hardware as it is. Be thankful they aren't AT&T and trying to do everything they can to make your experience the worst it can possibly be while milking you for the most money they can.

• Reply 26 of 34
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

About time, Apple & T-Mobile should have been working much more closely on this a LONG TIME AGO!!!

• Reply 27 of 34

I dont get why apple doesnt just make an iphone for only tmobile and the other virsion for all the others.

• Reply 28 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidprettykool1 View Post

I dont get why apple doesnt just make an iphone for only tmobile and the other virsion for all the others.

They're no longer in the business of making a phone that only works in (less than) half the market.

• Reply 29 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    They haven't even had to do that since 2010 with their use of the pentaband chip. All they have to do, HW-wise is add the appropriate power amp. The reasons for no T-Mobile USA iPhone likely falls squarely not being able to reach an agreement on the prove of the handset.
  • Reply 30 of 34

I am one of the Tmobile user since very long time if there is something new upcoming in Tmobile so I am looking forward for it and i have never any kind of issues with this mobile network service provider. Now they are offering best service for them users so I am also excited to gain it.

• Reply 31 of 34

I am one of the Tmobile user since very long time if there is something new upcoming in Tmobile so I am looking forward for it and i have never any kind of issues with this mobile network service provider. Now they are offering best service for them users so I am also excited to gain it.

• Reply 32 of 34
    macm37macm37 Posts: 41member
    When we look and hope for the possibility of T-Mobile USA getting the next iPhone, we have to keep in mind that with the iPad now being sold with 4G LTE capability, the next iPhone will have it as well. Knowing that only 2 of the 4 major carriers {Verizon Wireless, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile} had 4G LTE markets, I was surprised to see that Apple released it when there wasn't many 4G LTE markets on AT&T. Shortly after watching the Keynote, I drove down to an AT&T Wireless store and asked the salesperson how many 4G LTE markets they currently have; he searched his computer and told me that they only had 35 markets at that time. After speaking with a few T-Mobile branch managers, they told me that their 4G LTE deployment would actually start in the 4th quarter this year. Tmonews.com's David Beren told me that they want 170 markets up by the summer of next year. With seeing how little number of 4G LTE markets that AT&T had to get the opportunity to sell the new iPad, I would say that T-Mobile has a good chance of selling the new iPhone when it's introduced if they have 35 4G LTE markets as well.
  • Reply 33 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They haven't even had to do that since 2010 with their use of the pentaband chip. All they have to do, HW-wise is add the appropriate power amp. The reasons for no T-Mobile USA iPhone likely falls squarely not being able to reach an agreement on the prove of the handset.

Just because there may be a problem with T-Mobile and Apple reaching an agreement for T-Mobile to sell the iPhone, that does not apply to the unsubsidized Full Price/Unlocked iPhone4S. So long as the phone is built to support the T-Mobile 1700MHz 3G frequency, I would have the option to buy the iPhone outright and use it just like I can currently use other non-1700MHz iPhones (getting only Edge speeds). So far as I am concerned, there is a difference between a T-Mobile iPhone (ie: One being sold by T-Mobile) and a T-Mobile SUPPORTING iPhone (ie: One that has the needed 1700MHz 3G frequency). You are painting the issue as one where T-Mobile and Apple being unable to reach a purchase agreement is the cause when it is simply that Apple will not add the support and get the full price for the phone up front with their direct-to-consumer unsubsidized iPhone4S. Note also, that until the iPhone4S AT&T had a contractual exclusive on the GSM iPhone (ie: That Apple was forbidden to even offer it to T-Mobile). Thus 2010 is too early since the iPhone4S was a 2011 (or 2012) phone.

• Reply 34 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Just because there may be a problem with T-Mobile and Apple reaching an agreement for T-Mobile to sell the iPhone, that does not apply to the unsubsidized Full Price/Unlocked iPhone4S
    Sure it does. You can't hack in the AWS operating band. HW is required to work with T-Mobile USA's 3G network, therefore Apple has to be decide to put the HW in the device to support T-Mobile USA... just as I stated.
    So long as the phone is built to support the T-Mobile 1700MHz 3G frequency, I would have the option to buy the iPhone outright and use it just like I can currently use other non-1700MHz iPhones (getting only Edge speeds). So far as I am concerned, there is a difference between a T-Mobile iPhone (ie: One being sold by T-Mobile) and a T-Mobile SUPPORTING iPhone (ie: One that has the needed 1700MHz 3G frequency).
    There is a difference to Apple, too, which is why Apple has not added the requested 5th band in their penta-band baseband chip that only had 4 bands enabled. Technically there was a 5th band included for the FCC testing but it was for a Japan's largest carrier, which Apple still hasn't contracted with.
    You are painting the issue as one where T-Mobile and Apple being unable to reach a purchase agreement is the cause when it is simply that Apple will not add the support and get the full price for the phone up front with their direct-to-consumer unsubsidized iPhone4S.
    Why won't Apple add it? You claim it's because they would get the full price of the device up front. That makes absolutely no sense!
    Note also, that until the iPhone4S AT&T had a contractual exclusive on the GSM iPhone (ie: That Apple was forbidden to even offer it to T-Mobile). Thus 2010 is too early since the iPhone4S was a 2011 (or 2012) phone.
    That's axiomatically wrong 3x.

1) The deal with AT&T ended at or near the end of 2010. Note that Verizon had the iPhone 4 in early 2011.
    2) AT&T had no exclusive contract with a "GSM iPhone" as there are many dozens of countries and carriers selling the iPhone. If you meant to write they had an exclusive deal to prevent other GSM-based carriers (but allowing CDMA-based) in the US from carrying the iPhone you'll have to A) prove it, and B) explain why AT&T was more concerned with T-Mobile and GSM-based MVNOs and regional carriers than with Verizon and Sprint?
    3) If" 2011 (or 2012)" allowed them to add the support and they didn't and there is room for the support according to the baseband specs then according to your rationale they would have added it, yet they didn't which means your reasoning about Apple's being able to get the full price for the device is not accurate.