HP exec: 'Apple may like to think they own silver, but they don't'

1234689

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 166
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member


    Blatent rip off.......  Sue Apple, Sue.  HP is just making THEIR laptop look identical to the MacBookAir. Shape, size, color, keyboard.  I mean come on HP.  Pay some money for it.


     


    Intel just designed the motherboard that I know of, but they didn't design the actual case did they?

  • Reply 102 of 166
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Even then the Intel HD 3000 in the Air blows away even the A5x with nearly 20 times the GFLOPS, with fill rates of that are more than double for mpixels/s and or mtriangles/s you are looking at a minmum baseline of about 40x faster. So, sorry you're still far and away from even. Built-in Intel graphics let alone discrete AMD or NVIDIA GPUs.

    No, you should look at the new GPUs from PowerVR, they will be equally powerful.

    J.
  • Reply 103 of 166
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member


    Magnesium is actually stronger. It is just more costly to fabricate, it is more costly of a raw material, and it is brittle as it is a hard metal versus a soft metal.  Aircraft grade aluminum is more on the boarder of a hard metal.  You have to look at the raw material costs, costs to mfg, stiffness, corrosiveness, etc. before choosing the right material (alloy) for the particular part that you are making.  Some metals have "memory", which allows them to flex and go back into the original position.  Most metals don't have that flex.  The soft metals are easier to flex and once flexed, they usually stay bent, which is why soft metals dent easily.  Hard metals take more pressure to bend and some will actually crack easily, stay bent or flex back into shape.  TItanium flexes and has "memory" to it, so if you take a sheet of titanium and bend it, it will either try to flex back into it's original shape, or stay bent, etc. It all comes down to which alloy, since it is difficult to even obtain 100% pure metal for commercial applications, they usually contain some amounts of impurities.  It also has to do with thickness, shape, mfg process, etc.  Some are also better for dissipating heat.  Most heat sinks that I know of are made from aluminum.

  • Reply 104 of 166
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member


    Yeah, Intel's marketing people are just Apple wannabees that are jealous that no one really talks about Intel and Microsoft since Apple is getting all of the attention in the media with the iPhone and iPad and Apple designs their own chips for those devices.


     


    It's called PARANOIA.   Paul Ottelini should resign from Intel and admit he is two face backstabbing CEO.

  • Reply 105 of 166
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member


    Yeah, I remember when the Mac first came out all of the DOS users were either switching or were taking the position that they could do all of the commands faster using the keyboard.  THEN WIndows comes out and then they are making fun of Apple only having one button mice.


     


    It's just amusing from a  Mac user's perspective.


     


    Bottom line, the WIndowsPC crowd with either imitate or switch, it is just a matter of when?

  • Reply 106 of 166
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    snova wrote: »
    It's interesting that Microsoft thinks a ARM core running Windows RT as desktop replacement will be just fine.  "Most" consumers seem to just want to know is they can use it to check email, use office, Facebook, use a browser and play a few games. I think its been already proven that most consumers think an iPad does most of these things ok (minus office).  An ARM laptop running Windows RT should fill the gap for many people on the Windows side,  else Microsoft would not do it.  I think an MBA with an ARM for the iOS/OSX side will be just fine as well.  It does not matter that "some" people think the CPU will not be enough. The value proposition of what it will be able to do, speaks louder then what it can't do.  People seem to forget that.  Think about that your iPad can already do?  Even the original iPad 1.

    As a result, I could care less about the spec debate.  Most consumers don't care about specs. All they want to know is will it do what they want. For most consumers, I think the answer will be yes with a Quad core ARM. For most geeks, who care about running benchmarks and running all their CPU intensive apps then answer will be no. The rest of the world *shrugs* their shoulders and pulls out their credit card. 

    Consumer will pay attention to chats like this:
    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

    Excellent post.

    J.
  • Reply 107 of 166
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,915member
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's actually not a great example to prove your point. While the location of the trackpad and the keyboard appearance are similar, there's no way someone would confuse that HP with a MBP.
    Some of the Ultrabooks are near exact copies of the MBA - and that would be a better example of how the industry is copying Apple (but I realize that this article is about HP so the other examples might not fit as well).

    Who's talking about confusing customers?

    I think a lot of us here just feel sad for HP...

    His comment "In no way did HP try to mimic Apple... in life there are a lot of similarities" isn't really helping them there.

    Maybe they didn't "try" to mimic Apple... but they sure succeeded.

    And I also think the Envy/Macbook Pro comparison is valid as well.

    If HP existed in a vacuum... and they had never seen any Apple laptops before... then I'd say it was pure coincidence.

    But no... what HP came up with was not accidental... not after Apple has been using those particular designs for a couple years.
  • Reply 108 of 166
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    snova wrote: »
    It's interesting that Microsoft thinks a ARM core running Windows RT as desktop replacement will be just fine.

    Please point to all those Windows RT desktops running ARM that perform 'just fine'. Oh, you've fallen for Microsoft vaporware again. Figures.

    snova wrote: »
    And it is this reason that people do not buy the new iPad "aka iPad 3" vs a MBA?

    Maybe you haven't noticed, but the iPad and the MBA are different products intended for different markets. The fact that the iPad 3 sells well doesn't mean that ARM is good enough for an ARM.
    snova wrote: »
    close in performance can be read different ways.  Any can turn this into splitting hairs competition.  Do the specs themselves really matter?  Close in performance to me, means "good enough" for what most people want to use it for. 

    Yes, and "black" can mean "white", too - if you're dishonest.

    You claimed that ARM was close in performance to Intel Core. When people showed that Intel Core was 10 times as fast at CPU stuff, you claimed that you really meant GPU. So someone pointed out that Intel's HD3000 is 10 times as fast at GPU, as well (with the HD4000 just released). Then you started with "well, it may suck donkey ears, but it's good enough).

    The fact is that you were lying when you said that ARM was close in performance to Intel's offerings.
  • Reply 109 of 166
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


    Yeah, Intel's marketing people are just Apple wannabees that are jealous that no one really talks about Intel and Microsoft since Apple is getting all of the attention in the media with the iPhone and iPad and Apple designs their own chips for those devices.


     


    It's called PARANOIA.   Paul Ottelini should resign from Intel and admit he is two face backstabbing CEO.



    Maybe its because Macs are the only computers which have no "Intel inside" sticker on the outside of enclosure.  Think about it from Intel marketing point view.  


    .

  • Reply 110 of 166
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Needed a good chuckle. Was reading and then saw the picture. not designed in a vacuum.
  • Reply 111 of 166
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    Please point to all those Windows RT desktops running ARM that perform 'just fine'. Oh, you've fallen for Microsoft vaporware again. Figures.

    Maybe you haven't noticed, but the iPad and the MBA are different products intended for different markets. The fact that the iPad 3 sells well doesn't mean that ARM is good enough for an ARM.

    Yes, and "black" can mean "white", too - if you're dishonest.

    You claimed that ARM was close in performance to Intel Core. When people showed that Intel Core was 10 times as fast at CPU stuff, you claimed that you really meant GPU. So someone pointed out that Intel's HD3000 is 10 times as fast at GPU, as well (with the HD4000 just released). Then you started with "well, it may suck donkey ears, but it's good enough).

    The fact is that you were lying when you said that ARM was close in performance to Intel's offerings.


    I think you are confusing me with someone else..  please go find and quote me.   thanks for calling me a dishonest liar.   wow.  check your facts before you go all postal.  Oh btw.. nice to meet you too.. geez what a jerk. 

  • Reply 112 of 166
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member


    I read this article and agreed with HP. Then I scrolled down and saw the picture of their laptop! haha. Apple doesn't own silver, but man their laptop looks JUST like the macbook pro/air. They'll get sued.

  • Reply 113 of 166
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member


    BS! HP is on the band wagon because they have no choice(they need chart cheap pc money). Intel and MS pimps the pc business. Intel needs to shove their chips up the pc's a$$ and MS needs to sell Windows(their cash cow). HP and  all the other pc losers out there are just along for the ride. 


    And when intel gets their low powered chips in  tablet HP will be whoring that too.

  • Reply 114 of 166

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

    "Apple may like to think they own silver, but they don't," Wolff said. "In no way did HP try to mimic Apple. In life there are a lot of similarities."


    Anybody else think its ironic that the model name is "Envy?"

  • Reply 115 of 166
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 179member


    Every time I see a Ultrabook commercial I think of this.


     


    inspired.jpg

  • Reply 116 of 166
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 179member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post


    Wouldn't be touting magnesium over aluminum. Magnesium is softer, more brittle, and has a tendency to bend easier, making aluminum much stronger. A characteristic I'd want in a mobile platform. Magnesium requires a protective coating over it to avoid corrosion where aluminum does not, and the metal itself is less stable than aluminum. Magnesium is also more expensive to produce. So keep talking Stacy.



     




    I was thinking the same thing, but you brought up even more points. I knew about the brittle aspect.

  • Reply 117 of 166
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,780member
    cpsro wrote: »
    To quote Yoda, "Do or do not. There is no try." And that's why we can build evolutionary trees of MP3 players, smartphones, tablets and laptops that are all rooted at Apple.

    HP tried hard NOT to look like they were copying Apple's MacBook Air designs. The fact that they have to say "but it's merely a coincidence" is evidence that they failed.

    Also, saying Apple doesn't own silver is like saying Apple didn't invent the rectangle: it's a troll move.
  • Reply 118 of 166
    pbrstreetgpbrstreetg Posts: 184member


    Stacy Wolff is right. Apple engineered what an ultra-book is suppose to be for the whole PC industry and it just took them several years to realize that Apple was right. HP and the rest of the industry validated Apple's design and engineering decisions.

  • Reply 119 of 166
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


     




    Actually, I think Steve meant that all "MacBooks" will look this way.  So far, he seems to be right.



     



     


    No, I think he meant all notebooks......because having been the visionary that he was he knew right away that everyone else would eventually copy the design of the MacBook Air.

  • Reply 120 of 166
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,833member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

    HP tried hard NOT to look like they were copying Apple's MacBook Air designs. The fact that they have to say "but it's merely a coincidence" is evidence that they failed.


    Yup, because HP did copy, just as "Droid does [copy]".


     


    The HP likely needs the rubber coating on the bottom to prevent the magnesium from corroding and to protect the softer metal from being scratched and dinged.

Sign In or Register to comment.