Safari 5.1.7 update disables out-of-date Flash versions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    aaronj wrote: »
    Hmm, Safari itself on my system is using 202MB.  But it's Safari Web Content that is over 1GB.

And that happens no matter what I do, after some period of time.  I've never been able to figure out what's causing it.  By tomorrow or the next day, it will be much, much larger.

I see, not good. What have you tried so far? Have you tried disabling unnecessary extensions? The extension that I do keep is one that blocks flash.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Hmm, Safari itself on my system is using 202MB.  But it's Safari Web Content that is over 1GB.

And that happens no matter what I do, after some period of time.  I've never been able to figure out what's causing it.  By tomorrow or the next day, it will be much, much larger.
    While a memory leak could be happening nothing yet written would lead me to that conclusion. The size of Safari Web Content is directly proportional to the Safari tabs and windows you have open. I usually have plenty of tabs open so using 1GB is expected. I've never seen it grow just from sitting idle and open. I also have 8GB RAM which means that 1GB isn't an issue for me (not sure if the amount it uses for caching intelligently scales depending on the available resources). I rarely see more than 50% of RAM registering as wired or active in iStat Menus.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Good for them. There's little, if any, reason to stick with an older version if you're going to the latest version of a browser. I think Firefox or Chrome does similar. If it's too far out of date, one or both of those will tell you when the program first opens.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Adobe's updates to Flash are often catastrophic to Flash products built on older versions. I'm talking 1 or 2 minor versions back (weeks usually, not even months).

I don't care about so called Flash "vulnerabilities". I care about products working.

Any move by Apple (such as this one) that disables old versions of Flash is idiotic, and a big problem for me. I'm sure I get to hear all about it at the office tomorrow. I'll just tell the team that JeffDM on some forum says there is little to no reason to use an out of date version of Flash (such as 11.1)...they'll get a kick out of that.

• Reply 24 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Adobe's updates to Flash are often catastrophic to Flash products built on older versions. I'm talking 1 or 2 minor versions back (weeks usually, not even months).

And Apple's the one that gets beaten up for not supporting old products.

Funny world, this.

• Reply 25 of 34
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I see, not good. What have you tried so far? Have you tried disabling unnecessary extensions? The extension that I do keep is one that blocks flash.

Well, I just got rid of some that I hadn't used in a while.  Maybe that will help.  thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

While a memory leak could be happening nothing yet written would lead me to that conclusion. The size of Safari Web Content is directly proportional to the Safari tabs and windows you have open. I usually have plenty of tabs open so using 1GB is expected. I've never seen it grow just from sitting idle and open. I also have 8GB RAM which means that 1GB isn't an issue for me (not sure if the amount it uses for caching intelligently scales depending on the available resources). I rarely see more than 50% of RAM registering as wired or active in iStat Menus.

See, that's the thing: It does seem to grow sometimes when it's idle.  And yeah, I have 8Gb too, and it seems to just keep increasing.  When I had 4Gb, it would grow to a certain point.  Now, with 8Gb, it grows larger.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, and the way I use Safari.  But whenever I have long uptimes, I end up needing to Quit Safari at some point and re-start it.

Anyways, thanks.

• Reply 26 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Well, I just got rid of some that I hadn't used in a while.  Maybe that will help.  thanks.
    See, that's the thing: It does seem to grow sometimes when it's idle.  And yeah, I have 8Gb too, and it seems to just keep increasing.  When I had 4Gb, it would grow to a certain point.  Now, with 8Gb, it grows larger.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, and the way I use Safari.  But whenever I have long uptimes, I end up needing to Quit Safari at some point and re-start it.

Anyways, thanks.

It might not be just you, you might have realized the problem when others didn't. But sometimes a web browser is blamed when it's an extension or plug-in. I'll keep an eye on Safari to see if it balloons.
  • Reply 27 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why not just have it come with Click2Flash installed and prevent Flash from installing in Safari at all?

In before cries of "Monopoly!" I'd like to see them explain that one.

What? They're not killing Flash plugins, they're disabling the ones that have known security risks. IMHO all browsers should do this for older versions of Flash. The next version of the Flash plugin is scheduled to come with silent updates for both mac and windows (not sure able linux) but this should become a non-issue. Flash Plugin users should adopt the newest runtimes for the optimal experience anyway. 9 is ancient, 10 is sorta fast, and 11 is pretty quick, very stable (if coded correctly), and has a ton of new features.

• Reply 28 of 34

Quote:

Good for them. There's little, if any, reason to stick with an older version if you're going to the latest version of a browser. I think Firefox or Chrome does similar. If it's too far out of date, one or both of those will tell you when the program first opens.

Chrome browser has a built in version of Flash using a new plugin architecture. It updates with the browser behind the scenes. Firefox prompts you to update Flash when it's out of date, which will soon be a useless feature since Flash will update itself in the background when needed. It's worth noting that they've been talking about doing this with Flash plugins since Flash 3. 

• Reply 29 of 34
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

It might not be just you, you might have realized the problem when others didn't. But sometimes a web browser is blamed when it's an extension or plug-in. I'll keep an eye on Safari to see if it balloons.

Good deal, thanks.

• Reply 30 of 34
    netbsdnetbsd Posts: 3member

Safari has become an authentic piece of crap ( to use an euphemism ) ever since 5.0.5 ( the last stable release i remember )

and 5.1.7 is the worst of all releases for me (it needed 2 restarts today)

I experience crashes - bandwidth bottlenecks (only safari, the other apps have normal internet throughput while safari thinks the internet is down) - tabs loose their context

and have to be reloaded

I am to the point of abandoning Safari for some other browser, i can't stand Safari anymore

Sent bug-reports to Apple ever since 5.0.5 but no luck.

• Reply 31 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by netbsd View Post

Safari has become an authentic piece of crap ( to use an euphemism ) ever since 5.0.5 ( the last stable release i remember )

and 5.1.7 is the worst of all releases for me (it needed 2 restarts today)

I experience crashes - bandwidth bottlenecks (only safari, the other apps have normal internet throughput while safari thinks the internet is down) - tabs loose their context

and have to be reloaded

And I experience none of this. There's something wrong on your end.

• Reply 32 of 34

The fact that you don't experience issues does not mean there is something wrong on my side. There are other people having problems with safari, at least one other on this thread.

A while ago i reverted back to 5.0.5 and all of my issues (and those have always been the same) disappeared

• Reply 33 of 34

From post Safari 5.0.5 i have been using AdBlock Plugin to kill the Overwhelming number of ads that populates webpages today.

I have switched back to ClickToPlugin that i used till 5.0.5 because it had to be updated for post Safari 5.0.5.

I will report back if i realize that AdBlock was the cause of my Safari issues

REPORT:

Safari continues to crash for me at an average of one time a day even with ClickToPlugin

• Reply 34 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And I experience none of this. There's something wrong on your end.

I've seen it happen. It's probably their DNS prefetch. Once they introduced that, the whole thing has become a basket of pain