Why would a user with zero infractions be banned?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014

I've committed the sin of signing up for a duplicate account, but please read this whole message before you judge me.

I signed up a couple years ago with my preferred username of stevenjklein.

At some point in the past, that account somehow became banned. I was never given any reason, and since I was banned, I couldn't post a message asking for an explanation.

My stevenjklein infractions page shows zero infractions. I only ever posted two messages using that account, and both messages are completely innocuous and inoffensive.

And yet, on my profile page, the word "Banned" appears next to my name, meaning I'm not allowed to post messages.

Can anyone explain this?

Is there any way to have that other account unbanned?  I'd gladly delete this account if only I could use that one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Not sure why that account was banned but your post may have been caught in the spam filter. I unbanned it for you. Try making a post and if it works out, I can suspend this other one.
  • Reply 2 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not sure why that account was banned but your post may have been caught in the spam filter. I unbanned it for you. Try making a post and if it works out, I can suspend this other one.

Well, it looks like you've fixed it. I'm posting this from my original stevenjklein account.

I'm fine with your suspending the "steveklein" account, but it does raise a question: What system do you have in place for people to contact you about issues like this?  I couldn't post about my problem, because I was suspended. I couldn't find a contact address, but I noticed the site sent me an automated birthday message from [email protected]. Since that was the only address I had, I sent emails to that address asking for help.

To give you some perspective:

2011-03-29: Sent an email to [email protected]. Got no reply

2011-04-04: Sent an email to [email protected]. Got no reply

2011-10-07: Sent an email to [email protected]. Got no reply

2012-04-22: Sent an email to [email protected]. Got no reply

So, if this should somehow happen again, do you have some way for me to contact you?  Or will I have to go through the process of creating a new account (like I did this time)?

• Reply 3 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    What system do you have in place for people to contact you about issues like this?  I couldn't post about my problem, because I was suspended. I couldn't find a contact address

So, if this should somehow happen again, do you have some way for me to contact you?  Or will I have to go through the process of creating a new account (like I did this time)?

It shouldn't happen again but there are some contact emails here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/contact/

Your best bet is probably to sign up a new account but it's not a common occurrence that accounts would be suspended without good reason and this new forum spam filter works differently.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't even know if Jambo is with this forum anymore. It might have been left to ride as an automated account.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Speaking of banning users, I wonder why Zither Zather Zuzz was banned? I haven't come across any offensive post by him... Anyone care to share?

• Reply 6 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Yeah it's some auto-anti-spam auto-ban thing. That's why I've gone back to my old account here.

• Reply 7 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Speaking of banning users, I wonder why Zither Zather Zuzz was banned? I haven't come across any offensive post by him... Anyone care to share?

I hope you speaketh true news, for it is good tidings. ZZZ has been trolling endlessly for at least a few months. Nothing outright offensive, but when someone posts inflammatory nonsense just for kicks endlessly for months and months... Well, it's only fitting.

• Reply 8 of 14
    nvidia2008 wrote: »
    I hope you speaketh true news, for it is good tidings. ZZZ has been trolling endlessly for at least a few months. Nothing outright offensive, but when someone posts inflammatory nonsense just for kicks endlessly for months and months... Well, it's only fitting.

ZZZ is a new account by the same person that was ConradJoe. CJ was banned for persistent trolling, then signed up as ZZZ to operate as a Poe. He's been a persistent low-grade nuisance and continually hanging by a thread anyway. We'll see if he pops up again.
    nvidia2008 wrote: »
    Yeah it's some auto-anti-spam auto-ban thing. That's why I've gone back to my old account here.

Unfortunately, that's out of the moderator's hands. Even an admin like Lundy doesn't have access to the controls to dial it back a bit.
  • Reply 9 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

ZZZ is a new account by the same person that was ConradJoe. CJ was banned for persistent trolling, then signed up as ZZZ to operate as a Poe. He's been a persistent low-grade nuisance and continually hanging by a thread anyway. We'll see if he pops up again.

Unfortunately, that's out of the moderator's hands. Even an admin like Lundy doesn't have access to the controls to dial it back a bit.

Is that the reason he was banned -- double accounts? Did it only become known recently?

• Reply 10 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Is that the reason he was banned -- double accounts? Did it only become known recently?

I knew about it before Zither had TEN posts, but I'm not sure if we should talk about mod politics in the open. image

• Reply 11 of 14
    drdoppio wrote: »

Opening a new account to get around a ban is a bannable offense, but we did know who he was. We thought we would let it ride because it seemed like he toned it down, at least at first. The obsequious nature of his Poe style trolling just got old. There's been a lot of user requests that we get rid of him, which is pretty unusual, but we let it ride, too long in my opinion, but there it is.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Well the important thing is that suitable action has been taken.
  • Reply 13 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well the important thing is that suitable action has been taken.

Indeed. I wonder though, when he comes back, what moniker is he going to pick... Any guesses?

• Reply 14 of 14

I've also committed the sin of signing up for a duplicate account to find a solution for an inexplicable banning.

I signed up quite some time ago (years) with my preferred username of dinoone.

At some point in the past, that account somehow became banned. I was never given any reason, and since I was banned, I couldn't post a message asking for an explanation.

My dinoone infractions page shows zero infractions. I believed I tried to post something completely innocuous and inoffensive, using my knowhow on consumer guarantees in Europe (Apple has an ongoing issue with Italian regulators on that).

And yet, on my profile page the word "Banned" appears next to my name, meaning I'm not allowed to post messages.

Can anyone explain this?

Is there any way to have that "dinoone" account unbanned?  I'd gladly delete this account if only I could use that one.