Steve Wozniak interviewed about Apple, Steve Jobs, technology

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
In a brief interview with an Australian news station on Thursday, Apple co-founder Steve "Woz" Wozniak spoke of his time at Apple, shared his thoughts on Steve Jobs and waxed philosophical about the digital age.

Besides basic background bio questions, the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) feature interview (via MacDailyNews) asked Wozniak about the future of computers and the legacy late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs left behind.

Wozniak described the co-founding of Apple as a natural progression of circumstances, saying that he would come up with new inventions and hardware while working at Hewlett-Packard while Jobs "would always find a way to turn them into money." The two, along with financial backer Ron Wayne, founded the company to design and create cutting edge computer products.

When asked about his early relationship with Jobs, Wozniak said, "we both grew up in the counter-culture days, we both admired people who thought differently about thingswe were very much alike in that time frame."

"Steve was an incredible leader and a manager, he went through an awful lot of things in life that got him to that point," Wozniak said of Jobs' legacy. "It was upon his return to Apple [that] he now really knew how to run a company and not make mistakeshow to keep track of the operations, and the inventory, and manage every single department there ever was in a company."

Wozniak
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak interviewed by Australia's ABC News. | Source: ABC News

The engineering guru also talked about the future of technology and sees intuitive user interaction as the next step in computing.

"These computers are getting more and more human," Wozniak said. "We're now touching it like you touch a human, like you touch a real object on a table to move it with your own hand. We're speaking to our phones and our computers and telling them what to do."

Wozniak elaborated on the natural interface computers are only now slowly adopting. "I don't have to think very hard to think up what I want to tell you" he said to the correspondent. "I speak to you as a human being, I want to speak to my computer as a human being and get answers."

Sharing his thoughts on the a world run by machines Wozniak said, "I'm sort of saying that the virtual world might grow up to do everything for us. I think that's the future for all technology. I really think we lost this 'war to machines' in a sense maybe a couple hundred years ago and it's our job to be good gods."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    It appears that to watch the interview video you need Flash installed.. how nice.. I'll pass.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

It appears that to watch the interview video you need Flash installed.. how nice.. I'll pass.

It appears that you don't.

Going by the HTML 5 that came up in click to flash

• Reply 3 of 18
    not1lostnot1lost Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

firefox....

• Reply 4 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Ugh!

Listen to that horrible Australian accent! I can barely stand it.

All those questions and not single query about the Apple IV.

Woz is such a nice guy!

Nicholas Cage should play him in the movie...

JACKSUNDRUDcage-woz.jpg
  • Reply 5 of 18
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Greatness is rarely recognized, understood or appreciated during their own time.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    gtr wrote: »
    Ugh!

Sounds like you need to get out and see more of the big wide word to broaden yourself a bit!

Like maybe go up and visit Alice or Darwin even? ;-)
  • Reply 7 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Sounds like you need to get out and see more of the big wide word to broaden yourself a bit!

Like maybe go up and visit Alice or Darwin even? ;-)

Too far to walkabout. ;-)

• Reply 8 of 18
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is one of the few times I felt Woz was interesting.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Ugh!

I found it pretty jarring hearing that American accent in front of the Brisbane river backdrop. But Aussies are pretty tolerant of foreigners.

• Reply 10 of 18
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

I like how genuine, honest and sincere he seems. 

• Reply 11 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Apple needs a philosopher-in-chief. Really miss that aspect of Jobs.

Hope Cook can grow into one over time......
  • Reply 12 of 18
    sandyfsandyf Posts: 42member

If SJ was the Entrepreneur & Visionary, SW was the the Heart & Soul.

What a wonderful tug-of-war.

• Reply 13 of 18
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Ugh!

All those questions and not single query about the Apple IV.

Woz is such a nice guy!

JACKSUNDRUDcage-woz.jpg

Cool! Is that a real recent picture of Cage (what weight gain!) or is that a photoshop merge of the two men?

• Reply 14 of 18
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandyf View Post

If SJ was the Entrepreneur & Visionary, SW was the the Heart & Soul.

What a wonderful tug-of-war.

I'd say Jobs was the heart and soul, and Woz was the brains. At least at first.

• Reply 15 of 18
    not1lostnot1lost Posts: 136member

I read his biography, "I WOZ"  I found it quite enjoyable for a biography. I read it right after reading Steve Job's and found it quite interesting how they had a very different view of things almost everything accept electronics and such. That's probably what made them such a good team. I do think Woz isn't given the recognition and credit he deserves for the success of Apple and the tech world in general. There would be NO Apple Inc. or hundreds of other things we take for granted today; even the screen you are reading this on and how the keyboard puts things on it and what a mouse does are all his ideas and work. There are literally thousands of things we would not be doing today if it were not for Steve Wozniak.... His name should be a household word as much as Steve Jobs is.... Not taking away from SJ just sayin...

• Reply 16 of 18
    ptramptram Posts: 58member

Quote:

Uh... Why?!? Woz has a very expressive face, so I don't see the point of making a wax sculpture of him.

Paolo

• Reply 17 of 18

I love Woz.  I think the reason he doesn't have as much fame is that he left apple so early!  Imagine how things would be different if he stayed on the dream team.  Woz+Ive = Is nerd true romance

• Reply 18 of 18

Hello,everybody,I am just a new member of this forum,I want to make more friends here,I hope you can like me.

[url=http://www.mmolive.com/]Cheap WOW Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.mmolive.com/gold/RuneScape/]Buy RS Gold[/url]