iCloud beta site suggests Apple will add Notes, Reminders

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
A beta test page for Apple's iCloud service has suggested Apple is planning to add the ability to access synced Notes and Reminders from the website.

The site beta.icloud.com was sporadically accessible on Friday after it was discovered by developer Steve Troughton-Smith. In addition to the usual Mail, Contacts and Calendar, the site also included iOS-style icons for the Notes and Reminders applications.

Another space was also included in the beta site for iCloud for another service, though the image link was broken and did not display. It's unclear whether the website was a beta for iCloud before it launched last year, or if it was a test for a forthcoming update to the service.

"The beta version of iCloud.com requires a developer account and setting up your Apple ID with latest iOS or OS X," the site read, with links to "Learn More" or "Sign In."

However, the beta site for iCloud was not functional as of Friday, as attempts to sign in to the page were not successful. The site has since been pulled offline, and forwards to Apple's overview page for the iCloud service.

iCloud

The beta site is the second unintentional iCloud-related leak from Apple this week. On Tuesday, the regular iCloud.com site showed a test banner notification to users, suggesting that feature is also in the works for the iCloud website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Suggests? This has been fact ever since the introduction of a Notes and Reminders application in Mountain Lion DP1.

• Reply 2 of 20

Just give me tons of storage. Like dropbox/google. Oh and quick servers.

• Reply 3 of 20
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

The link for the beta site does work. I believe the missing icon is for iWork. In the background, you can see Notes and Reminders. See screenshot

iCloud.JPG

• Reply 4 of 20
    jinjo235jinjo235 Posts: 17member

Notes syncing has been available for a long time...you just have to get an @me.com email address to do it. This is only going to allow you to sync Notes and Reminders without the use of an @me.com email, which is super cool! And yay for dedicated Notes and Reminders Mountain Lion apps!

• Reply 5 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

What is iCloud.com for?

• Reply 6 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Perhaps those apps only show up when you login in with a me?

• Reply 7 of 20
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What is iCloud.com for?

They have iCloud in Ireland.  You get an iCloud account for free when you buy an iPhone, iPad, or have Lion.  iCloud.com is just used when you only have access through a browser, like on a machine that you don't own that doesn't run Lion.   It's just access through your iCloud services through a browser.

• Reply 8 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What is iCloud.com for?

It's an ice water stand set up for people in Hell.

Apple's really good at getting building permits.

• Reply 9 of 20
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
  • Reply 10 of 20
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. X View Post

The link for the beta site does work. I believe the missing icon is for iWork. In the background, you can see Notes and Reminders.

There is already an iWork icon there... bottom left.

But what else will come to iCloud.com?

I sincerely hope that photostream support is at the top of their list.

I would like to see some iLife support beyond that.

An in-browser editor for iWork files would be incredible.

• Reply 11 of 20
    bengt77bengt77 Posts: 46member

If only they would keep Galleries... :-(

• Reply 12 of 20
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

There is already an iWork icon there... bottom left.

But what else will come to iCloud.com?

I sincerely hope that photostream support is at the top of their list.

I would like to see some iLife support beyond that.

An in-browser editor for iWork files would be incredible.

Thanks for catching that. I just went to iCloud.com and saw the iWork icon. I'm not sure what the missing icon is. An in browser editor would be cool though.

• Reply 13 of 20
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

The only glaring omission from iCoud.com is Photo Stream.  Both notes and reminders are there, but handled poorly.  Here’s hoping I’ll be able to manage my photos from a full-blown web browser soon.

• Reply 14 of 20
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 View Post

Galleries of some kind is the big loss and there have been rumours Apple is re-instating some version of it. I hope it will be faster and more configurable.

And yes photostream needs to work like 'Photosync'. If it doesn't I advice everyone to disable photo stream and get Photosync - or something similar.

• Reply 15 of 20
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member

If you think these are unintentional, you must be a fool by now. The timing is perfect to kill google's skydive and it likely will put at least a huge damper on the ad companies file gleaning service to sell more ads.

• Reply 16 of 20
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

The only glaring omission from iCoud.com is Photo Stream.  Both notes and reminders are there, but handled poorly.  Here’s hoping I’ll be able to manage my photos from a full-blown web browser soon.

I can't imagine many people would enjoy the experience of managing their photo gallery through a sluggish web browser interface.  You can do it 10x faster and smoother on iTunes.  I think iCloud is great for syncing from Mac to iOS device, other than that I see no other use for it except maybe for emergencies when I have no access to either devices.  Therefore the only other useful feature I can think of for emergency situations is iMessage, which by the way is already available on Mountain Lion DP. It would be useful if people forget or lose their iPhone, or might be vacationing overseas, and has to send an emergency SMS/iMessage to someone.  

• Reply 17 of 20
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    bengt77 wrote: »

...and iDisk...
  • Reply 18 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Does anyone actually use the iCloud website? I find I am always on either my Mac or iPad which have iCloud-enabled apps.

• Reply 19 of 20
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ascii wrote: »
    Does anyone actually use the iCloud website? I find I am always on either my Mac or iPad which have iCloud-enabled apps.

I use it at work because I type faster on a full blown keyboard than the virtual one on my iPhone. Only use Mail & iCal.

Photo stream I could care less, Galleries will be missed very much. There simply is no alternative as Galleries gives you the option to download the original RAW files as well. There's no photo service out there that does that; you'd have to share your photo's in one place and use a file syncing tool at some other site. Then sending two links to clients or whatever. Although Galleries had its flaws there's nothing out there that outperforms it. I tried ZangZing.com Zenpholio, Viddler, SmugMug, Picassa, the lot. And I read the 80 page from the community.

Think I'll create my own website, have port 80 open on my router and point it to my MacMini that sits under my TV. That way I only have to upload whatever people are accessing, and I don't have to sync huge amounts of photo's to some obscure Galleries alternative.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

I can't imagine many people would enjoy the experience of managing their photo gallery through a sluggish web browser interface.  You can do it 10x faster and smoother on iTunes.  

Actually you can't. iTunes handles the syncing of photos that were already on your computer to your devices but it does nothing with the camera roll or the photo stream. You would need iPhoto or a similar program on Windows to do any management of the photos/video from your device. And at last check there was no similar program for Windows, just like there's nothing for reminders and notes on windows.  being able to see your photo stream in browser for Windows users would be useful. Especially if they are still on XP which isn't compatible with the whole 'copy your photo stream photos to your pictures folder' (and I'm not sure if Vista can do it either). With in browser viewing they could potentially download the files by hand and thus have the permanent copy for after photo stream kills it as a second method should they accidentally delete the camera roll copy