Apple's new 3D Maps in iOS 6 will ditch Google, 'blow your head off'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member

I really hope that it does not require a constant download from the internet.  It would be nice to have a mapping system that can work with what has been downloaded before, and will download updates in the background as they come up, but those downloads and updates do not hinder the experience.  I cannot stand waiting for google maps to load as I stare at the screen, knowing that I have used the exact same area just minutes before when I opened it last.  

This would not have to be some ugh download either.  In a new area, when things download, they are cached.  That way, as you cover areas you gradually build up a cache of data so the maps application can work, at least in those areas, offline.  If you go to a new area, things are downloaded.  New files are updated and downloaded as they are encountered.

I guess the reason Google maps does it the way they do is because they sell advertising.  Hopefully this is not a factor in Apple's new maps application and we can ditch the requirement of a constant internet connection.

• Reply 22 of 145
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I'll try to act surprised web this is announced.
  • Reply 23 of 145
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Blow your socks off if you happen to be at home with a good WiFi connection.  If you are actually anywhere you 'need' a mapping function, you will be out of luck because of bandwidth lack, cost or unavailability.  If a navigation device doesn't have the data on-board, it is about as useful as a flashlight without batteries.

Bit like the non-event iCloud has been.

You might be on the wrong website if ...

Minimally, Apple iCloud rivals competitor offerings.  A strong argument could be made that Apple iCloud is the best "cloud" offering available for anyone with an iPhone or iPad.  Apple iCloud is absolutely, positively, unquestionably the best "cloud" offering for anyone with more than one iPhone or iPad and more so with a Mac and AppleTV.

Why do you believe the new iPhone won't cache Maps data?  Why do you believe LTE service won't be sufficient?  Why do you believe that a 3D view must be applied universally to all objects within a view table?  Why do you believe compression may not be applied to geographic imaging data?  

Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!

• Reply 24 of 145
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member

Quote:

Blow your socks off if you happen to be at home with a good WiFi connection.  If you are actually anywhere you 'need' a mapping function, you will be out of luck because of bandwidth lack, cost or unavailability.  If a navigation device doesn't have the data on-board, it is about as useful as a flashlight without batteries.

Bit like the non-event iCloud has been.

Stuff that "just works" isn't supposed to be an "event".  iCloud is awesome at keeping everything in sync between devices.  Hard to imagine life without it anymore.  I expect the new maps will similarly fade into the background and be something you don't even have to think about.

The current maps app is pretty weak, especially compared to the state of the art.  Waze is a nice try, but it's always wrong.  Streetview isn't even currently available on iPhone.  There's a lot of room for improvement here.

• Reply 25 of 145

I betcha all these cool new 3D things will only run on an iPhone 5, just like Siri only works on 4s.

• Reply 26 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I reckon it's more likely to be a software feature to sell the iPhone 5s in 2013, much like they did with Siri for 4S.

How does that make any sense? Not just the fact that it'd be the iPhone 7 (known as "iPhone"), but the fact that Maps is available on all devices. What sense does it make to only have good maps on their newest device and leave everyone else out in the cold with Google Maps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

I thought Google has planned to start charging a fee for the use of their map service.

Ooh… source? That sounds terrible if it's true. 

• Reply 27 of 145
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Glass half empty much?  

I'll never understand why conservatives frequent technology sites so much, which are really all about the new, and doing things differently. 

PS - note to AppleInsider ... could you at least make the smileys work again?  Your shiny new site is always half broken if you run a secure browser.  It adds nothing the old one didn't already have and takes a bunch of stuff away. 

No, my cellar is quite well stocked thank you and the level in my glass tends to reflect that..

I don't live in the US, neither do the majority of Apple's customers. Pervasive 3G coverage does not exist in many places, yet Apple have a consistent track record of introducing glossy attention catching features that rely on streaming large amounts of data in order to function - face time, Siri, iCloud, and from the sounds of it, this map function.  'No tickee, no washee.'  No data no mapee isn't thinking differently, it is just unintelligent.  It means Apple isn't really interested in offering their customers a 'real' navigation feature, just a superficial facsimile for the easily pleased and easily lead.

• Reply 28 of 145
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booga View Post

... Streetview isn't even currently available on iPhone.....

Actually, it is. 

• Reply 29 of 145
    nceencee Posts: 857member

And something NO BODY should leave home without.

It would suck to be half way there, and have your phone shit the bed, and not be able to get the rest of the way:) You'd be surprised how many folks can't read a map:(

Skip

• Reply 30 of 145
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I reckon it's more likely to be a software feature to sell the iPhone 5s in 2013, much like they did with Siri for 4S.

What do you believe the marquee feature for the new iPhone (6th generation) will be?

I propose that Apple Maps is the perfect marquee feature for 2012:

An Apple Maps solution could dramatically extend the usefulness of Siri, another marquee feature.  In fact, an Apple Maps solution with excellent Siri integration is killing two birds with one stone.

• C3 Technologies 3D mapping is definitely a marquee feature which you don't dispute.

• Apple acquired 2D mapping developers, intellectual property and technology in 2009.

• Apple acquired 3D mapping developers, intellectual property and technology in 2010.

An Apple Maps solution would likely require a substantial improvement in hardware but not necessarily a Cortex A15 based Apple CPU (Apple A6).  This would allow Apple to brand the 2013 iPhone as "iPhone 6S" using Cortex A15 for a substantial performance improvement (Cortex A15 isn't expected within the expected time frame for 2012 at any rate):

• Apple likely has an appropriate GPU solution (Quad-Core GPU (PowerVR SGX543MP4 such as used in Apple A5X SOC))

• Apple likely has sufficient RAM if they increase RAM to 1024 GB as in the new iPad (3rd generation)

• Apple likely has sufficient connectivity with LTE as in the new iPad (3rd generation)

• Reply 31 of 145
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

Google probably makes a lot of money with its maps API.  This is one way to "combat" Google.

1 year from now: Everyone loves the new 3D Apple Maps.

2 years from now: 3D Google Maps for Android that is looks/feels like a knock-off.

• Reply 32 of 145
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

Actually, it is. 

I guess he has a new feature to play around with now.

• Reply 33 of 145
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Can you even imagine these 3D maps running on a 4K AppleTV? Boing!

• Reply 34 of 145
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    This is one area where Android has had a huge advantage.... Good to see Apple working up an realistic alternative....
  • Reply 35 of 145

...like the Nokia map app?  Should be a cool addition.  

• Reply 36 of 145
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can't wait for this. I don't want to see any Google services or them credited anywhere in iOS 6 (save for Gmail and the relevant legal text for that, of course).

Here, let me help; I think you mean:

I don't want to see any Google services or them credited anywhere in iOS 6, "especially" gmail !

Seriously, I agree with you as far as wanting everything attached to google off my iDevices.  Especially gmail.  These days for many people, email is their life story.  How can anyone possibly trust google with that data?!  Google's business model is very explicit: they profit from knowing as much as possible about their users and selling that data (usually in aggregate, at least for now) to their customers, who are obviously not their users.

• Reply 37 of 145
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

I don't live in the US, neither do the majority of Apple's customers. Pervasive 3G coverage does not exist in many places, yet Apple have a consistent track record of introducing glossy attention catching features that rely on streaming large amounts of data in order to function - face time, Siri, iCloud, and from the sounds of it, this map function.  'No tickee, no washee.'  No data no mapee isn't thinking differently, it is just unintelligent.  It means Apple isn't really interested in offering their customers a 'real' navigation feature, just a superficial facsimile for the easily pleased and easily lead.

It's not Apple's fault that you still live in 1997. Guess what. Ten years from now, people will be streaming even larger amounts of data than they do today. 

Apple isn't going to stop innovating and introducing new features just because a few people live in god forsaken, technologically primitive areas of the world without decent wireless coverage. That's not Apple's problem. It's those people's problem.

If somebody has a real crappy cell plan or very bad coverage, then they should just buy a dumb phone. iPhones aren't for those kind of people. If and when they decide to join to current century, then perhaps they might enjoy some of the benefits that modern devices provide.

• Reply 38 of 145
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

Lets see samsung/hp copy that...and call it form factor...haha

• Reply 39 of 145
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    vandil wrote: »
    Google probably makes a lot of money with its maps API.  This is one way to "combat" Google.

1 year from now: Everyone loves the new 3D Apple Maps.

2 years from now: 3D Google Maps for Android that is looks/feels like a knock-off.
    I'm not so sure about point number two.

If as described, it's a patented technology that is at root an algorithm, that should be a lock for quite a while. It would be like trying to copy Googles algorithm for search or create a new algorithm that does the same thing. It's possible, but very difficult and could take much longer than just a couple of years.
  • Reply 40 of 145
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Here, let me help; I think you mean:

I don't want to see any Google services or them credited anywhere in iOS 6, "especially" gmail !

Seriously, I agree with you as far as wanting everything attached to google off my iDevices.  Especially gmail.  These days for many people, email is their life story.  How can anyone possibly trust google with that data?!  Google's business model is very explicit: they profit from knowing as much as possible about their users and selling that data (usually in aggregate, at least for now) to their customers, who are obviously not their users.

Actually, I quite like Gmail and prefer it over any of my other paid and free options. I appreciate having alternatives.