Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    toruktoruk Posts: 38member

A Loewe spokesperson has denied this report.

• Reply 102 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    toruk wrote: »
    Well it was a nice thought for the 12 hours or so that it lasted. Sigh.
  • Reply 103 of 137
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    toruk wrote: »

ya, and back in the day, around first period of the Retina iPad rumour, John Gruber said that there would NEVER be an Retina iPad... stopping all of the rumours about the Retina iPad. ( for at least a short while...LOL)

meaning... LOEWS is going to denied it, irrespective of the truth... so wait a month... then we'll see if this rumour is correct.
  • Reply 104 of 137
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    taimen wrote: »
    I disagree. Look as an example the Loewe Invisio -model. Almost completely made of glass! I don´t know if there is a commercial product available (yet). I would thin this is a perfect math! Just add the Apple logo.....

Their Connect ID one looks like a big iMac

Still, I think they are expensive for what you get:

Generally, their bezels are too thick and always have a giant button on the front. If Apple used the technology though, a transparent glass panel with a small bezel at the bottom would be very nice:

"As the first of its kind, the Loewe Invisio introduces technical innovation, combining conventional LCD and the latest TOLED display technology. This allows to create non-transparent / solid moving pictures with rich color reproduction and full contrast range from solid black to pristine white.- Michael Friebe"

They don't have to use it for a TV though. Transparent OLED can be used for a number of things - there are some laptops that use them.
  • Reply 106 of 137
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Quote:

Originally Posted by animatedude View Post

in my holy opinion, and i repeat holy...the Apple Cinema Display design is much better than everything they have on this Loewe's products page....that's why i have ZERO problems with the rumors of the upcoming Apple TV set being exactly like the Apple Cinema Display only bigger...i say bring it on!

Well I must admit, I have never seen nor heard Loewe's gears in person but I am giving the benefit of the doubt to Apple engineers and designers.

I am impressed however by the pictures of the gears.  If they sound anything like Paradigm Studios or JM Labs speaker gears or Velodyne DD subs and have the picture qualities of the Samsung tv screens, then add Apple advanced TV platform with beautiful and easy to use interface and you have a revolutionized industry on you hands.

Note that it's not just the external design but also quality of the patented electronics and software inside.  Not to mention the current organization of the company, the fact that they make a limited set of products that Apple wants instead of being huge like Sony.

I look forward to having 100% Apple gear for audio/video.

• Reply 107 of 137
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

According to a report on The Next Web, "German TV maker Loewe has today officially denied rumours of a $113 million buyout, with a company spokesperson stating that the report has “absolutely nothing to it.”

There goes another Apple TV rumor - come on AI, don't become another DigiTimes 

• Reply 108 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well if th $99 box can't give me what I have with DirecTV I have no reason to buy it. TV is not that complicated. My DirecTV box is very easy to use. When I had Dish Networks it was the same (though they didn't have all the content DirecTV does). I'm not sure what Apple is going to perfect or what Jobs thought he cracked.

Now there are those who would prefer to just pay for the shows/ channels they want rather than paying for a package full of channels they never want. If that's what Apple is attempting to crack then it's a whole lot more than perfecting the UI. Then we're talking about content and distribution. And I'm skeptical that Apple will be able to break the cable/satellite control of TV. TV is not the same as music was back in the early 00's when people were using file sharing to illegally acquire music. I can't see TV networks or movie studios bending over for Apple just because, well, it's Apple.

I think your summed this debate up best here ...

"I'm not sure what Apple is going to perfect or what Jobs thought he cracked."

To which I'd say ... "Exactly!"

I am sure the exact same comment was made pre iPhone and iPad from those already familiar with the then current phone and tablet markets.

My point is it may well be a lot of fun and enlightening when we see it (what ever it is)...  having said that of course even when we see it (assuming there is an it) most won't 'get it' at first just as they didn't with iPhone and iPad and heck I could add GUI to that mix back in 1984 ...  "What use is a mouse?"  

• Reply 109 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

Quote:

Huh, guess I was wrong, then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In other news, small German TV manufacturer's stock price skyrockets for a month or so.

Idiot speculators make money.

That certainly didn't give them much time at all, did it? image

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well if th $99 box can't give me what I have with DirecTV I have no reason to buy it.

You'd rather pay whatever a month for the rest of eternity than $99 once and then only for the shows and news you want?

Quote:

My DirecTV box is very easy to use.

Then you have a very, very different box than any I've ever seen or used.

Quote:

If that's what Apple is attempting to crack then it's a whole lot more than perfecting the UI. Then we're talking about content and distribution. And I'm skeptical that Apple will be able to break the cable/satellite control of TV. 

This is something at which they excel.

Quote:

TV is not the same as music was back in the early 00's when people were using file sharing to illegally acquire music. 

Yeah, no one downloads TV shows without paying for service. That certainly doesn't happen.

Quote:

I can't see TV networks or movie studios bending over for Apple just because, well, it's Apple.

I can't see them having a choice. They either do it or they're left out, just like every other deal Apple has made for the past decade.

• Reply 110 of 137
    john hjohn h Posts: 4member
    Loewe obviously doesn't have the manufacturing depth to produce on a scale needed by Apple. Nor would manufacturing costs in Germany be appealing. I think Apple's interest would be in design and engineering expertise in the TV field. That could include Loewe's manufacturing skills which might be beneficial in establishing a contract maufacturer's production line in Asia.

If this report is correct, I won't be expecting an Apple HDTV intro anytime soon. It would take a substantial amount of time to integrate Loewe, finalize designs and ramp up production.

One final thought. It would be great to have Apple's HDTV built right here in the USA. Unlikely, but with more highly automated production than is employed in China, it may be a possibility. Perhap's that is something that Loewe could bring to the table.
  • Reply 111 of 137
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

Maybe the discussions were about a joint venture or licensing agreement of some kind.

Sometimes those work better for both parties than a buyout.

• Reply 112 of 137
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member

Oh yeah..A.I. be trollin.

files_troll_2.jpg?w=545

• Reply 113 of 137
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

According to a report on The Next Web, "German TV maker Loewe has today officially denied rumours of a $113 million buyout, with a company spokesperson stating that the report has “absolutely nothing to it.”

There goes another Apple TV rumor - come on AI, don't become another DigiTimes 

Oh well, so much for that idea.  It would have been a good deal for both companies but competition is also good.  The Apple design and engineering teams must rise to the occasion.

Time will tell.

• Reply 114 of 137
    jbhoulejbhoule Posts: 20member

Do you remember when iPad was a rumor? And when it was introduced? Many, if not the majority of people who commented couldn't understand why anyone, other than rabid Apple fanboys and girls, would buy it. The question was, why do I need another internet device? I have a smartphone, laptop, etc. 

I seriously doubt that Apple would enter the TV market unless they have a highly compelling product. It will be interesting to see what it's all about when the time comes, assuming it does. Which according to the previous post, it will not.

• Reply 115 of 137
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Edit: Deleted and resubmitted -- screwed over by the new AI forum UI

• Reply 116 of 137
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Edit: Deleted and resubmitted -- screwed over (again) by the new AI forum UI

• Reply 117 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    drblank wrote: »
    Let's put it this way.  If my suspicions are correct as to the direction for Apple, if they buy Loewe.  I would pretty much be scared out of my mind if I were Samsung, Sony, Android phones, and Windows anything.  But I am not say anything because I might be wrong, but if I am right, this could get REAL ugly within the next couple of years.  It would actually be a good thing in general as far as I am concerned.

If you're right about what?
  • Reply 118 of 137
    bikertwin wrote: »
    Loewe makes TVs, but also audio systems and speakers. They have all the technology that Apple could put in one total home entertainment device: Apple TV. Maybe with (optional?) external speakers. But wirelessly connected.

Or, maybe, a TV?
  • Reply 119 of 137
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member

If Apple wants to be a content provider and compete with cable then they would simply buy Dish Network or Direct TV. Dish has valuable spectrum that Apple could use as leverage with the telecoms or use it themselves.

• Reply 120 of 137
    solipsismx wrote: »
    if it's true that Apple is now just in talks about buying a TV maker does anyone think this TV is close to being ready? I guess if it's just for production it could be but typically Apple buys companies for their IP and talent and it's years before anything come to market.

Seeing as their panels will likely be made by Sharp it doesn't look like this is a patent acquisition, but rather, a talent/knowledge acquisition.