Photos of Ashton Kutcher in character as Steve Jobs surface

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Director Joshua Michael Stern is said to believe the project is "award-worthy."

Talk like that and it's an instant fail, IMO.

How can anyone say that BEFORE the first frame is even shot?

On the other hand a lot of movies are award-worthy in concept, and even in script, but the execution usually eliminates the possibility of being a contender.

• Reply 22 of 62
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Director Joshua Michael Stern is said to believe the project is "award-worthy."

This part is funny.  In the first place, who cares what the director of the project thinks of his chances to get an award?  It would only be relevant if some third party who had nothing to do with it but a lot of cred thought so.  Secondly, while we are talking about "cred," this guy has none.  Check out his IMDB.  All garbage.  

• Reply 23 of 62

I have to say, I think it's a bit sad that so many people here seem to know the exact brand of jeans and sneakers.  

I love Apple and think Steve Jobs is great, but geez, get a life!

• Reply 24 of 62
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    cmvsm wrote: »
    Did they say Two and a Half Men 'star'? Must have been a typo. Should have been Two and a Half Men destructor. That show stinks to high heaven now because of Kutcher. He can't even grow a half way decent looking beard. What a mistake.

i disagree... Chuck Lorre is the genius behind the show (IMO) and is why Aston Kutcher is any good in the show... Aston acts just he he as acted in other projects..
    i will agree with you in-so-far-as "two and a half men" with Aston is the TV series of "Dude, where's my car"...
  • Reply 25 of 62
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    So, i was watching " the b**** in apartment 23" and James Van Der Beek IMO would have been an interesting Steve Jobs, for the 2000 to 2012 period than Aston Kutcher because I don't thnk aston has the intensity required for the role. (but then it is about the period before that)
    On the other hand with the film being about the period of 1971-2000 (the more interesting part of the book) , and James being "New York" and Aston being "LA" , Aston should be able to capture the "easy-going, intense, skateboarding Dude" was the high school, college, beginning Apple days part of the Late Steve Jobs Life...
  • Reply 26 of 62

"In character"? Really? Steve Jobs didn't drink things! What a gross misportrayal! 

• Reply 27 of 62
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ungenio View Post

Also... a minor detail, Steve's beard style does not match Kutchner's. At least not when he started using turtle necks. That photo makes you believe that a young Jobs (70's) wore turtle necks.

He did. Steve-Jobs.jpg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

But I thought Steve didn't dress like that when he was about that age!?

More than once. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6doK7CFMk7D84ipDRlRiPl0eJXNFyvkKzQ5Njrd3U8Ya70MdLVQ

Interesting. If we are to believe what is evidenced on the tube, a lot of people wouldn't know what Steve looks like today, never mind 30 years ago. ( 2 minute 10 second mark)

• Reply 28 of 62
    nunyabineznunyabinez Posts: 106member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have to say, I think it's a bit sad that so many people here seem to know the exact brand of jeans and sneakers.  

For a major portion of his life the guy wore one outfit. It's not like people kept a log of his wardrobe. It is an oddity not usually seen, so it got attention. Hardly using up any significant amount of anyone's life to know the elements of a man's wardrobe when he always wears the same thing.

• Reply 29 of 62
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    The beard is a bit off as well as the body shape but y'know, Noah Wyle didn't look that much like Steve Jobs either:

The believability will come from the movie presentation. If a script, makeup and a set can make Johnny Depp look like a pirate, it can do the same for Kutcher. Other photos look closer than the TMZ ones:

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/164021/width/600/height/405][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/164021/width/600/height/405[/IMG][/URL]
  • Reply 30 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It's possible the companies wouldn't give permission for their products to be used.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, back up, time out, I can wear whatever the crap I want to wear in a movie. PARTICULARLY when the clothing's brand isn't front and center. You're telling me every single movie has to get permission from every single brand of clothing worn by every single actor, even when you can't tell what brand it is?

Quote:

Or the producers were looking for free items as a way to cut costs…

That would certainly show their dedication to the accuracy of the movie, wouldn't it? image

Quote:

His uniform was an Apple brand; it's common knowledge. You're on a forum about these products. I don't think you're in any position to tell people that. image

• Reply 31 of 62
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

If there are any better suggestions for someone to portray Jobs, I'd be interested in hearing them. I have no particular opinion about Kutcher. Great biographical portrayals have always relied on more than physical resemblance. I look to people like Meryl Streep, Judy Dench and Helen Mirren as masters in capturing expressions, demeanor and mannerisms.

• Reply 32 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

If there are any better suggestions for someone to portray Jobs, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Noah Wyle.

Unless he's already doing it for the big Sony production, but still, he should be Jobs regardless of where it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If a script, makeup and a set can make Johnny Depp look like a pirate, it can do the same for Kutcher.

I see what you did there.

• Reply 33 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The believability will come from the movie presentation. If a script, makeup and a set can make Johnny Depp look like a pirate, it can do the same for Kutcher.

I think the big problem with Kutchner is that he is very well known, and everyone who knows of him, knows he's a bit of a dummy.  Steve Jobs was a card carrying genius.  The fact that Kutchner physically resembles Steve Jobs actually works against him and against the interests of the movie in that way.  

It will be next to impossible to watch this well-known capering dumbass play the part of a cool genius without breaking the illusion. 

When they start filming the "real" Steve Jobs movie (the one based on the book), they would be better off going for an unknown and not worrying too much about physical resemblance IMO.  He wouldn't be good for this part, but the example of Anthony Hopkins as Richard Nixon comes to mind.  He looked very little like Nixon at all, but it's probably the best movie about Nixon you are likely to see and the closest to a real representation of what the man was actually like.  You buy into him as Nixon after the first 15 minutes or so despite the lack of resemblance. 

• Reply 34 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

... a lot of people wouldn't know what Steve looks like today, never mind 30 years ago. ( 2 minute 10 second mark)

Double fail.  

Your link requires Flash and American Citizenship.  :/

• Reply 35 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... His uniform was an Apple brand; it's common knowledge. You're on a forum about these products. I don't think you're in any position to tell people that. 

I'm in a great position to say that.  My feet are up on the coffee table and I'm quite comfortable.  :)

Also your reply is a collection of mixed metaphors that don't make much sense, and .... please, please, stop using that blinking smiley.  

I think I'm about to have another epileptic fit.  

• Reply 36 of 62

Quote:

Also your reply is a collection of mixed metaphors that don't make much sense

Not really… 

Quote:

, and .... please, please, stop using that blinking smiley. I think I'm about to have another epileptic fit.  

Empty your cache. It would only blink if a frame of the gif didn't load. It's fine for me.

• Reply 37 of 62

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 

His uniform was an Apple brand; it's common knowledge. You're on a forum about these products. I don't think you're in any position to tell people that. 

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

'Also your reply is a collection of mixed metaphors that don't make much sense"

Quote:

Not really… 

Oh come on ... don't get mad. :)  

I could have wrote a long long post picking it all apart (now that would be mean), but I had to point out that it made no sense or I couldn't live with myself. 

Apologies for the smiley comment.  The new forums don't work very well on secure browsers.  You can't use the smileys at all (which is why i've gone back to old-school smileys), so it's likely that I see other peoples smileys differently as well for the same reasons.  I think they might be some kind of java crap or whatever, but all I really know is they don't work and I probably should have realised the issue was related before I complained.  

• Reply 38 of 62
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBalmer View Post

"In character"? Really? Steve Jobs didn't drink things! What a gross misportrayal! 

Absolutely spot on. Few people know that Steve was a closet epiphyte who would sit out in the back yard in the wee hours, in hopes of a dewy morning.

• Reply 39 of 62
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

Perfect resemblance. Perfect character to play Jobs.

• Reply 40 of 62
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, back up, time out, I can wear whatever the crap I want to wear in a movie. PARTICULARLY when the clothing's brand isn't front and center.

IF there is absolutely no way to id the brand, no. But in this case, the brands he wore are known items so much so that folks are paying attention to those details. As a curtesy in such cases, respectful producers will ask for permission. 

Frankly given the budget I suspect it was a case of either they wanted free stuff and didn't get it (which is about money not accuracy) or they really don't care to be accurate. Or a little perhaps of both.