Purported next-gen iPhone headphone jack and earpiece parts emerge

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Parts claimed to be from Apple's sixth-generation iPhone continue to surface, with the latest components showing a headphone jack, earpiece and Wi-Fi cable claimed to be from a future iPhone.

The parts surfaced this week on the website of parts supplier SW-Box, and were highlighted by How To Arena. The purported iPhone part suggests the device will have a significantly different internal design, as the headphone jack is attached to the earpiece and Wi-Fi components.

That's a major departure from the current design of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, in which the headphone jack is included on a component with the handset's volume buttons and mute switch, all of which are located in the upper left corner of the device.

The site claims the new component is compatible only with an "iPhone 5" device, and claims the cable is "clearly for the new iPhone." The component can be purchased for $7.71.

The same site showed off a SIM tray claimed to be from Apple's next-generation iPhone earlier this month. That component sported subtle differences when compared to the SIM tray design found in the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.

Cable

And last month, pictures of a new home button claimed to be for Apple's next iPhone surfaced online. That part suggested the next iPhone's home button will look largely the same as it always had, but also gave an indication that the part will be redesigned internally.

In March it was said that Apple was reviewing potential components for the new iPhone, which is expected to be released this fall, one year after the iPhone 4S. Rumors have suggested the new device will feature a redesigned exterior that will be a significant departure from the form factor of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Not content with simple strips of hardware, Apple has taken to making their internal components as CONFUSING-LOOKING AS POSSIBLE.

• Reply 2 of 22
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not content with simple strips of hardware, Apple has taken to making their internal components as CONFUSING-LOOKING AS POSSIBLE.

Well, as long as they're INTERNAL! ;-)

• Reply 3 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

These internal components dissapoint me. Where's the innovation? It's clear that Apple has lost it without Jobs, and that it's all downhill from here. I can't imagine how Apple believes it can compete like this. 

• Reply 4 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Indeed. I don't know how I'd feel if the above was the shape of the iPhone itself.

• Reply 5 of 22
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Awesome! With these hardware leaks we can start building our new iPhones Johnny Cash style.

[I]I'd get it one piece at a time
    And it wouldn't cost me a dime
    You'll know it's me when I come through your town
    I'm gonna ride around in style
    I'm gonna drive everybody wild
    'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round.[/I]
  • Reply 6 of 22
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Cable

Anyone want to illuminate us on what this thing even is?  

Clearly AppleInsider doesn't know.  

The original site calls it a "Earphone Jack/ Ear Speaker/ WIFI Cable For iPhone 5" which makes little sense.  there is also no obvious earphone jack showing, a part that looks like a dock connector but obviously couldn't be as well as a half dozen various flanges and do-dads. 

Any engineering geniuses out there with knowledge of what it is and if it has any actual significance?  

• Reply 7 of 22
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

Do you know how stupid this iPhone component stuff is?  It's like taking a passenger seat, the toilet and transponder from a Boeing Dreamliner to get an idea how the fully assembled airliner will be.  Do people do this sort of nonsense for other companies' products?  Why are these people so desperate to find out what the iPhone is going to be like before it gets introduced by Apple?  Honestly?  Has this sort of parts guessing ever been correct and why should it even matter?  That component could be from any number of devices.  Apple-based or not.

• Reply 8 of 22
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    gazoobee wrote: »

The original site calls it a "Earphone Jack/ Ear Speaker/ WIFI Cable For iPhone 5" which makes little sense.  there is also no obvious earphone jack showing, a part that looks like a dock connector but obviously couldn't be as well as a half dozen various flanges and do-dads. 

Any engineering geniuses out there with knowledge of what it is and if it has any actual significance?  

The part is upside down. The headphone jack is to the bottom left and the earpiece is centre bottom with the speaker facing into the page. This part more or less confirms a similar device width to the 4S
  • Reply 9 of 22
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

These internal components dissapoint me. Where's the innovation? It's clear that Apple has lost it without Jobs, and that it's all downhill from here. I can't imagine how Apple believes it can compete like this. 

How many posts before somebody fails at life and misses the joke? :)

• Reply 10 of 22
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's no beauty. What would Steve Jobs of 1984 say about the internals?

• Reply 11 of 22
    nicolbolasnicolbolas Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

There's no beauty. What would Steve Jobs of 1984 say about the internals?

They need to look nice. ^^

• Reply 12 of 22
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The part is upside down. The headphone jack is to the bottom left and the earpiece is centre bottom with the speaker facing into the page. This part more or less confirms a similar device width to the 4S

If only we had measurements we might have info on whether the next phone is smaller/larger.   Just eyeballing it and holding things up to the screen the picture looks about 30% larger than real life to me.  Sadly, that would make the next iPhone a bit bigger.  

• Reply 13 of 22
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why compete when you can collude? Why engineer components when you have samsung? Apple stock isn't going to stay below $2000 for long, as long as suicide safety nets stay strong at foxconn. 

Oh and for anyone waiting for the last 8+ years for an ergonomically designed imac, we might even get that soon, imagine that huh? We might be able to lower the screen and not wreck our necks. AND with filtered glass a la crts circa 1995. Inno-bleeding-vation.  

• Reply 14 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gazoobee wrote: »

The thing in the middle bottom looks like a dock connector slot. It could be a top-mounted SIM card slot, I guess. The part on the lower left does look like it could be an audio jack, but the angle isn't that good.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    derodero Posts: 4member
    And I thouth that I was seeing a speaker on the bottom left side of the picture a dock connector bottom center and a audio jack hole on the right bottom of the picture... As if the front of the unit is facing us.
    I think I recognise , three contacts for the jack connector on the bottom right hand side. Can't say if this is a 1/8" jack, I remember hearing that Apple wanted to go smaller on their connectors to make the units even smaller then the present iPhones.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    The thing in the middle bottom looks like a dock connector slot. It could be a top-mounted SIM card slot, I guess. The part on the lower left does look like it could be an audio jack, but the angle isn't that good.
    I disagree about the SIM card slot. I do think that looks like a dock connecter and headphone jack on the same side but that makes me think it's most likely for the upcoming iPod Touch (which wasn't updated in 2011) than for the iPhone since the Touch has both jacks on the bottom. But even that is suspicious to me since it would mean folding the ribbon over and that just seems pointless in terms of cost and complexity.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Got it.

Loch Ness Monster

Nessie.jpg

Part identified.

How awesome is it that the next iPhone will have a Loch Ness monster!

Siri won't be happy, though.

• Reply 18 of 22
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

I don't think I'd be putting that in my ear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

• Reply 19 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I disagree about the SIM card slot. I do think that looks like a dock connecter and headphone jack on the same side but that makes me think it's most likely for the upcoming iPod Touch (which wasn't updated in 2011) than for the iPhone since the Touch has both jacks on the bottom. But even that is suspicious to me since it would mean folding the ribbon over and that just seems pointless in terms of cost and complexity.

I don't see why it can't be a SIM slot, there is precedence for that in previous models. You are right to point out it could be for a Touch though, I didn't know it had the audio connector at the bottom.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    well it does have a docking connector at the bottom of the picture, an antenna connector at the top/middle... so i say it is for a long lost ipad version.. or for the Mythical 7 inch iPad...
    unless the part is designed to be folded, it is too square for an iPhone.(using the bottom docking connector as a reference of size)