Benchmarks hint at next-gen Ivy Bridge MacBook Pro, iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Geekbench benchmarks that appear to be from unreleased versions of Apple's MacBook Pro and iMac computers have surfaced online and serve as compelling evidence of upcoming upgrades from the company.

Scores for a MacBook Pro9,1 and an iMac13,2 were discovered by a MacRumors forum user on Sunday, as noted by the publication. Though it's possible the results were spoofed, the model numbers, if accurate, are higher than Apple's current-generation models.

According to the benchmarks, the MacBookPro9,1 was running Max OS X 10.8 (Build 12A211), a build that has yet to be released to developers. The machine reportedly made use of a quad-core 2.70 GHz Core i7-3820QM processor and received a GeekBench score of 12,252. That compares to a score of around 10,500 for the Core i7-2860QM processor found in the current MacBook Pro.

Benchmarks for the alleged iMac13,2 were posted a few days before the MacBook Pro results. The desktop was also powered by a quad-core i7 chip, though the model number was 3770 and the clock speed was 3.40 GHz. The operating system for the iMac was described as Mac OS X 10.8 (Build 12A2040), which may have been running an earlier build of Mac OS X 10.8 than that of the aforementioned MacBook Pro. The Geekbench score for the iMac came in at 12,183.

Alleged MacBook Pro benchmarks
Source: Geekbench

Alleged iMac benchmarks
Source: Geekbench

The report also noted that the motherboard identifiers for both machines match up with Mac models discovered in the first developer preview of OS X 10.8.

Geekbench has served as an accurate source of leaks in the past. In 2010, early benchmarks matched the eventual specifications of a MacBook Pro upgrade.

In March, benchmarks reportedly for "Hackintosh" Ivy Bridge-powered computers appeared online. A 3.50GHz Core i7-3770K CPU running Mac OS X 10.7 was said to have received a score of 13,453.

Chipmaker Intel officially launched its Ivy Bridge architecture late last month. Ahead of the release, CEO Paul Otellini indicated that the "bulk" of the first wave of chips would go to desktop computers. A second batch of Ivy Bridge processors bound for lightweight notebooks are scheduled to be released later this quarter.

AppleInsider reported in February that, according to sources, Apple is readying upgrades to its MacBook Pro line that will draw from MacBook Air-style design choices, such as solid-state drives, omission of an optical drives and instant-on capabilities.

"They're all going to look like MacBook Airs," the source said of the upcoming MacBook Pro models.

Rumors have also suggested that Apple will release new iMacs in June or July. One report claimed last month that the new iMacs will feature anti-reflective displays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

An iMac with a 3770 would be great, but the main upgrade-or-not deciding factor for me would be a powerful GPU.

• Reply 2 of 44
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member

It seems strange to me that we did not witness the traditional never ending story about leaked parts. Few weeks before release, it seems now established that people anonymously post pictures of various elements belonging to new models, thereby generating more buzz about the incoming hardware. But not this time. Up to now, who has behold even a glimpse of the alleged new unibody chassis?

• Reply 3 of 44
    schemulaschemula Posts: 6member

Here's hoping for a 17 inch. C'mon Apple. Don't do me like this!

• Reply 4 of 44
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member

The thing is i don't think the iMac has enough room for a powerful or a decent sized desktop GPU to breathe properly. That's why the Mac Pro still remains the only choice for professional users. Here's to hoping for a quick Mac Pro refresh!

• Reply 5 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ascii wrote: »
    An iMac with a 3770 would be great, but the main upgrade-or-not deciding factor for me would be a powerful GPU.

I suspect this is the case for many users. A good GPU can make a huge difference in the way the machine runs. This is why I'm worried about the rumors that baseline Mac Pros will not have a descrete GPU.

The other thing is RAM, it would be nice to see Apple get with the program and set up the base Mac Book Pro with 8GB of RAM.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

If the benchmark is from an actual pre-production next generation MacBook Pro it quashes the notion that Apple is merging its notebook lines.

• Reply 7 of 44
    eauvive wrote: »
    It seems strange to me that we did not witness the traditional never ending story about leaked parts. Few weeks before release, it seems now established that people anonymously post pictures of various elements belonging to new models, thereby generating more buzz about the incoming hardware. But not this time. Up to now, who has behold even a glimpse of the alleged new unibody chassis?

I just take this as a sign Apple has clamped down hard, most likely because major revisions are coming our way. Yeah wishful thinking. However I do see a convergence of technologies that would lead to a very interesting update if Apple wants to be on the bleeding edge.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    dhagan4755 wrote: »
    If the benchmark is from an actual pre-production next generation MacBook Pro it quashes the notion that Apple is merging its notebook lines.

I don't think there was ever a particle of reality in that idea.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

The 17" will not make it into existence until later this year, if at all. Tons of rumors are out there saying that the 17" will be discontinued due to poor sales. :( 

I love my 17" MBP, but if a "Retina" 15" MacBook Pro or Air or Hybrid or whatever will come out, I am selling my 17" to get that! :D

P.S.: Apple, don't forget to make the new displays IPS-based! :)

• Reply 10 of 44
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

Quote:

Originally Posted by schemula View Post

Here's hoping for a 17 inch. C'mon Apple. Don't do me like this!

The 17" will not make it into existence until later this year, if at all. Tons of rumors are out there saying that the 17" will be discontinued due to poor sales. :( 

I love my 17" MBP, but if a "Retina" 15" MacBook Pro or Air or Hybrid or whatever will come out, I am selling my 17" to get that! :D

P.S.: Apple, don't forget to make the new displays IPS-based! :)

• Reply 11 of 44
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I suspect this is the case for many users. A good GPU can make a huge difference in the way the machine runs. This is why I'm worried about the rumors that baseline Mac Pros will not have a descrete GPU.

The other thing is RAM, it would be nice to see Apple get with the program and set up the base Mac Book Pro with 8GB of RAM.

Perhaps Pros with a discrete GPU and Airs w/o a discrete GPU?

• Reply 12 of 44

What do people make of the fact that they are running 10.8 - surprise early release?

• Reply 13 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ascii wrote: »
    What do people make of the fact that they are running 10.8 - surprise early release?

Or perhaps the new machines won't be out until after Mountain Lion.

Or maybe they new machines will be out tomorrow running Lion and they were just testing them for upgradeability.

Or maybe the entire thing is a prototype which will never make it out of the lab.

Or maybe they spoofed Geekbench.

Or........
  • Reply 14 of 44
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member

Nah probably the latest beta developer build

• Reply 15 of 44
    schemulaschemula Posts: 6member

Retina display 15" would look nice, but is essentially, still a 1440x900 workspace.

I really need (or want, whatever) the 1920x1200 workspace for Photoshop, Cinema 4d, After Effects, Premiere Pro, etc.

Yes, I already have a 27" Cinema external, so, I might could live with a 1680x1050 15", or I may just have to ride herd on my 2011 17"

And yes, put the Pro in Pro if the line is to be continued. SSD standard, large platter drive in the Optibay, IPS screens.

But what do I know, I'm just the consumer, not the bean counter.

• Reply 16 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or perhaps the new machines won't be out until after Mountain Lion.

Or maybe they new machines will be out tomorrow running Lion and they were just testing them for upgradeability.

Or maybe the entire thing is a prototype which will never make it out of the lab.

Or maybe they spoofed Geekbench.

Or........

Even though it's possible to spoof Geekbench, no one has found any tell tales that these particular entries were faked (that I know of).

My first guess was (as AndreiD said) this is them testing the next Mountain Lion DP, since those seem to come out at the middle of the month. The machines will ship with Lion hence the adding of HiDPI icons last week.

But then why does the iMac have that extra "2" in the build number? That is used for machine-specific builds. Also I think when Apple transitioned from PowerPC to Intel they used those style build numbers to differentiate the two 10.4 versions.

• Reply 17 of 44
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

These are just rumors that is all. Time will tell when the real products come out soon.

• Reply 18 of 44
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

In 2010, the Geekbench reports came in a little over two months before the eventual release of the MacBook Pro 6,1. The report was on Feb 4th, the MBPs came out April 13th. So we may not see anything until mid July. That might explain why we are not seeing any parts yet.

• Reply 19 of 44
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

The thing is i don't think the iMac has enough room for a powerful or a decent sized desktop GPU to breathe properly. That's why the Mac Pro still remains the only choice for professional users. Here's to hoping for a quick Mac Pro refresh!

There are plenty of professional users out there that GPU's don't really mean all that much to to get their work done.  Audio professionals for example.  Not everyone needs super graphics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

If by tons of rumors you mean a multitude of sites reporting the same rumor, then yes, there are tons of rumors saying that

• Reply 20 of 44
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report also noted that the motherboard identifiers for both machines match up with Mac models discovered in the first developer preview of OS X 10.8.

Since when are they called "motherboards" and not 'logic boards' in Macs?