Benchmarks hint at next-gen Ivy Bridge MacBook Pro, iMac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ascii wrote: »
    Even though it's possible to spoof Geekbench, no one has found any tell tales that these particular entries were faked (that I know of).

My point is that this rumor doesn't tell us anything useful. Specifically, I was responding to someone saying that perhaps this meant that Mountain Lion would be out early. There are plenty of other possible explanations - and Geekbench being spoofed was only one of them.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

I just visited the website that originally reported this story.  As much as we might complain about AppleInsider, this website would need to get much, much worse to match the steaming cesspool that is MacRumors.  An editor at MacRumors commented that they "had enough of Apple" and were switching to Dell simply because Apple didn't have an Ivy Bridge laptop available "right now."  The person in question felt strongly enough to post on an Apple rumors website and link his personal blog as well.  I was a long time member of MacRumors and slowly noticed myself perusing their articles but not knowing why, after not visiting for some time I returned today (to check out the original story).  Honestly, MacRumors should be renamed Anti-AppleForums.

WTF does a person like that have any business being an editor on an Apple rumors website?

AppleInsider has issues but thank goodness for this website.  Please change the forums back though!

• Reply 23 of 44
    I just visited the website that originally reported this story.  As much as we might complain about AppleInsider, this website would need to get much, much worse to match the steaming cesspool that is MacRumors.  An editor at MacRumors commented that they "had enough of Apple" and were switching to Dell simply because Apple didn't have an Ivy Bridge laptop available "right now."  The person in question felt strongly enough to post on an Apple rumors website and link his personal blog as well.  I was a long time member of MacRumors and slowly noticed myself perusing their articles but not knowing why, after not visiting for some time I returned today (to check out the original story).  Honestly, MacRumors should be renamed Anti-AppleForums.

WTF does a person like that have any business being an editor on an Apple rumors website?

AppleInsider has issues but thank goodness for this website.  Please change the forums back though!

Yep. MacRumors was pretty bad. Simply asking the Apple-hating trolls for evidence was enough to get you an infraction there.
  • Reply 24 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yep. MacRumors was pretty bad. Simply asking the Apple-hating trolls for evidence was enough to get you an infraction there.

I have several accounts there.  MacRumors was my primary source for Apple news a decade ago.  I am sure that my post today will get me banned since I asked one of the trolls .... er "editors" when MacRumors went so far down hill.  MacRumors now reports fewer stories, less accurately than virtually any other site and is so infested with trolls that the trolls have actually taken over.

• Reply 25 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What do people make of the fact that they are running 10.8 - surprise early release?

Well, I'm running it right now, so I wouldn't say early at all. I'd imagine late August at the earliest.

So, as usual, the new hardware will be launched with Lion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Since when are they called "motherboards" and not 'logic boards' in Macs?

Since it means the same thing and doesn't matter, probably. It's funny calling the daughterboard on the Mac Pro by that name when you're supposed to call the other one the logic board. I guess you could call it the reason board…

Off topic: I really want Apple to buy Reason, combine it with Logic, and release a new professional audio program called Sentience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Honestly, MacRumors should be renamed Anti-AppleForums.

More and more it seems that I got banned at exactly the right time: the last embers of actually liking Apple were just dying out over there when it happened. image

• Reply 26 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, I'm running it right now, so I wouldn't say early at all. I'd imagine late August at the earliest.

So, as usual, the new hardware will be launched with Lion.

Since it means the same thing and doesn't matter, probably. It's funny calling the daughterboard on the Mac Pro by that name when you're supposed to call the other one the logic board. I guess you could call it the reason board…

Off topic: I really want Apple to buy Reason, combine it with Logic, and release a new professional audio program called Sentience.

More and more it seems that I got banned at exactly the right time: the last embers of actually liking Apple were just dying out over there when it happened. image

Reason + Logic = Sentience ?

The ways in which human beings Reason through Argument are the subject of inquiries in the field of Logic. 

The person in question has identified himself as an "editor emeritus" rather than an editor.

• Reply 27 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Reason + Logic = Sentience ?

Hey, it's a nice name. I just want an excuse for them to use it. image

Ah, I got it: combine Logic, Reason, and Ardour to make Sentience.

• Reply 28 of 44
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    sadly no Mac Pro bench.... :(
  • Reply 29 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

sadly no Mac Pro bench.... 

Ivy Bridge Xeons won't be out for a year.

• Reply 30 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

I've been PERMANENTLY banned from macrumors forums. Why? For calling out the obvious trolls on their lies and their duplicity, and for correcting blatant mistruth with actual evidence. In the post that got me my permaban, I was responding to someone who stated they're gonna instead buy an Ivy Bridge Samsung if Apple didn't update their laptops within a week. I responding by stating that if the negligble performance of such a chipset outweighs ALL the other advantages of a Macbook in his eyes, he never should have been in the market for one, or he's lying that he even wants one which makes it transparent trolling. This was after I checked his post history, where 99% of his posts were apple bashing, and routinely calls anyone who has anything positive to say about Apple a sheep, cultist, worshipper, fruit, etc. Worst of the worst. I got a permaban for my comment/observation, and the guy and hundreds of others there are still trollling to this day. I think his name was 'wikus', go there and check his posting history. Such a fucked up situation. It is indeed more akin to an Apple-hate forum than anything else. I'm pretty sure the mods either hate themselves or are closet Apple haters, cause I can't see any other explanation. 

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this experience. Strange how this site, even with all the trolls, seems like the last bastion for any kind of semi-intelligent discussion about the company. 

• Reply 31 of 44
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

"One report claimed last month that the new iMacs will feature anti-reflective displays."

Hopefully. Otherwise, no purchase. Health (no headaches) first! Sign the matte petition at MacMatte:

http://macmatte.wordpress.com

• Reply 32 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by zunx View Post

"One report claimed last month that the new iMacs will feature anti-reflective displays."

Hopefully. Otherwise, no purchase. Health (no headaches) first! Sign the matte petition at MacMatte:

Stop. This. Nonsense.

You want a matte display, buy a matte display. Nearly every single other display on the market is matte. Quit whining.

• Reply 33 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:Start a New Thread

I've been PERMANENTLY banned from macrumors forums. Why? For calling out the obvious trolls on their lies and their duplicity, and for correcting blatant mistruth with actual evidence. In the post that got me my permaban, I was responding to someone who stated they're gonna instead buy an Ivy Bridge Samsung if Apple didn't update their laptops within a week. I responding by stating that if the negligble performance of such a chipset outweighs ALL the other advantages of a Macbook in his eyes, he never should have been in the market for one, or he's lying that he even wants one which makes it transparent trolling. This was after I checked his post history, where 99% of his posts were apple bashing, and routinely calls anyone who has anything positive to say about Apple a sheep, cultist, worshipper, fruit, etc. Worst of the worst. I got a permaban for my comment/observation, and the guy and hundreds of others there are still trollling to this day. I think his name was 'wikus', go there and check his posting history. Such a fucked up situation. It is indeed more akin to an Apple-hate forum than anything else. I'm pretty sure the mods either hate themselves or are closet Apple haters, cause I can't see any other explanation. 

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this experience. Strange how this site, even with all the trolls, seems like the last bastion for any kind of semi-intelligent discussion about the company. 

They get a lot more traffic, don't they?  If so, it seems like they have a better business model.

• Reply 34 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

They get a lot more traffic, don't they?  If so, it seems like they have a better business model.

Yeah, I'm sure that the "better" business model for an Apple website is to ban pro-Apple talk and allow anti-Apple users completely free reign.

• Reply 35 of 44
    Ivy Bridge Xeons won't be out for a year.

True, but they could still release a new Mac Pro based on the latest Sandy Bridge Xeons.

I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see an option to downgrade from Xeon to regular Sandy Bridge CPU. Only a very tiny percentage of Mac Pro users actually need the performance of the Xeon and saving a few hundred dollars would be nice.
  • Reply 36 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by schemula View Post

Retina display 15" would look nice, but is essentially, still a 1440x900 workspace.

I really need (or want, whatever) the 1920x1200 workspace for Photoshop, Cinema 4d, After Effects, Premiere Pro, etc.

Yes, I already have a 27" Cinema external, so, I might could live with a 1680x1050 15", or I may just have to ride herd on my 2011 17"

And yes, put the Pro in Pro if the line is to be continued. SSD standard, large platter drive in the Optibay, IPS screens.

But what do I know, I'm just the consumer, not the bean counter.

I'm in agreement -- a PRO user often needs more screen real estate. Sure you can hook up a monitor - but not on the road.

I used to have a 17", and now have a newer 15" -- and I realize, that, even though it's easier to lug around, I truly miss the larger screen. A retina display WILL HELP -- but larger is better, even with more resolution.

• Reply 37 of 44
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

If the benchmark is from an actual pre-production next generation MacBook Pro it quashes the notion that Apple is merging its notebook lines.

That was more blogger trolling than a real rumor anyway. It could happen to some degree one day as a compromise between the lines. I don't think you'd see either continue on in an identical fashion. Assuming you could get enough ports on there and power draws decrease to the point where battery life is essentially a non issue (can go all day and just charge at night), it would make way more sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

There are plenty of professional users out there that GPU's don't really mean all that much to to get their work done.  Audio professionals for example.  Not everyone needs super graphics.

OpenCL and in some cases CUDA are spreading. Eventually this will be a more universal concern.

• Reply 38 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

That was more blogger trolling than a real rumor anyway. It could happen to some degree one day as a compromise between the lines. I don't think you'd see either continue on in an identical fashion. Assuming you could get enough ports on there and power draws decrease to the point where battery life is essentially a non issue (can go all day and just charge at night), it would make way more sense.

OpenCL and in some cases CUDA are spreading. Eventually this will be a more universal concern.

GPUs are used by more and more different types of software. They are HUGE POWERHOUSES to churn through large data sets and math. A CPU is good for complex instructions that deal a lot with "if statements", text and system calls -- but nothing compares to a GPU for crunching a huge dataset.

Almost everything in a computer can be broken down into numbers.

.... and a huge database, actually uses "bitmaps" to find for instance, which files use the word "together" -- at the very high end, the same tricks that allow a computer to fly through graphics can fly through a database. It's not IF a software app will be optimized for a GPU -- if it has enough need of processing power -- it's only a matter of WHEN.

• Reply 39 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Yeah, I'm sure that the "better" business model for an Apple website is to ban pro-Apple talk and allow anti-Apple users completely free reign.

Anyone can make a mistake.

But they do get a lot more traffic, don't they?

• Reply 40 of 44

Well, no surprise but I was banned from MacRumors.  I would say it is a loss but it really isn't.

I am now thinking about starting a series of websites; Microsoft Pro, Android Pro, etc. to discuss how much those products suck.  I have a really excellent example of how this is done.

The ban hammer of MacRumors is a badge of distinction amongst technology fans as far as I am concerned.  Really the equivalent of negative campaign ads from the opposing political party; they wouldn't be negative if they weren't concerned.