Taiwan suppliers building specialized plants just for Apple - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Numerous Apple suppliers in Taiwan are said to be building new, specialized plants just to build components for upcoming Apple products, including a rumored 7.85-inch iPad.

Citing sources in the Taiwanese supply chain, DigiTimes reported on Monday that Catcher Technology, Taiwan Surface Mount Technology, Radiant and Coretronic are all planning to build new Apple-centric plants. In particular, the facilities will be meant for Apple's next iPhone and a smaller 7.85-inch iPad, the report said.

Suppliers are working to keep up with demand as Apple continues to see tremendous year-over-year growth in sales. In the last quarter alone, Apple saw iPhone sales increase 88 percent from 2011, while the iPad grew a whopping 151 percent.

The report was actually the third Apple-centric scoop from DigiTimes on Monday, as the site also reported that suppliers are gearing up for Apple to launch new MacBooks in June, and also claimed that Genesys will supply USB 3.0 card reader controller chips for Apple's next-generation MacBook Airs. The publication is known for having a spotty yet prolific track record with respect to anonymously sourced Apple-related rumors.

The performance of DigiTimes as the source of rumors was analyzed on Monday by Harry McCracken of Time, who fact-checked a total of 25 stories from the Taiwanese industry publication. His sampling found that 16 of the 25 stories were mostly wrong, five were essentially entirely correct, and four are predictions that have yet to come true.

DigiTimes

In digging through stories as far back as 2006, McCracken found that the most reliable reports from the publication come from "mundane or logical-sounding" stories, while the more fanciful rumors usually don't pan out, and the timing on hardware-related rumors is usually off.

"Digitimes rarely does anything other than to simply pass along gossip it's heard," he wrote. "It almost always relays rumors without any analysis or context that might help readers gauge them. At least I only found one instance — when it reported on an alleged OLED iPad — when it expressed any skepticism."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Oh, good. AppleInsider has taken to posting a giant "DigiTimes" for me.

Thanks guys. Thanks for the disclaimer. Now how about NOT REPORTING THEIR TRIPE AT ALL. image

• Reply 2 of 8
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member

Seems to me that it's credible of DigiTimes that it is predicting there will be another iPhone revision, which is certainly implied by claiming somebody thinks it's worth building a facility just to make them. That's worth something, right?

• Reply 3 of 8
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, good. AppleInsider has taken to posting a giant "DigiTimes" for me.

Thanks guys. Thanks for the disclaimer. Now how about NOT REPORTING THEIR TRIPE AT ALL. image

It's funny. I can always guess it's DigiTimes from the headline. Whenever I see something completely implausible I say to myself "DigiTimes!" and then I click and immediately search out the "DigiTimes reported..." to confirm my suspicion. This time there was a big logo waiting for me!

• Reply 4 of 8
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    carmissimo wrote: »
    DigiTimes that it is predicting there will be another iPhone revision

That's great news!

They've decided to release another iPhone?

And there I was thinking the iPhone 4S would be the last.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

That's great news!

They've decided to release another iPhone?

And there I was thinking the iPhone 4S would be the last.

actually. its the same product.. The next iPhone will have a 7.85" screen.

• Reply 6 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Digitimes' track record when it comes to Apple rumors is basically zero out of twenty five. How impressive. Somebody would have to be a real idiot to believe anything about Apple being reported by Digitimes.

• Reply 7 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I just sent an email to [email protected] begging them to stop reporting "rumors" from Digitimes. AI has been lending them credibility for too long, rather than disclaiming them, whatever they say should just be relegated to the rubbish bin rather than made into an article.
  • Reply 8 of 8

Please correct an error in this story.

Your story says, "His sampling found that 16 of the 25 stories were mostly wrong, five were essentially entirely incorrect, and four are predictions that have yet to come true."

But the original article that you link to by Harry McCracken in Time says, "By my count, 16 of these 25 stories turned out to be mostly or completely off-base. Five are largely or entirely correct. And four involve predictions that might yet come true."

In other words, you say that five were "essentially entirely INCORRECT" while the original says that "Five are largely or entirely CORRECT."

Thanks...