What if ... The iTV has a Retina screen?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Just a thought with all the rumours flying around about the conversion of the MacBooks and iMacs to resolution independent displays.

I can't imagine that Apple would be able to steal a march on the TV industry and somehow create and ship (cost effectively) large screen TVs that displayed 1080p signals more cleanly/crisply using a higher res panel (as they've obviously just demonstrated being a desirable feature with the new iPad) ... but if they could ...?

Maybe gen 2 or 3? 

If it was gen 1?  Wow!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Then it goes from costing $2,000 to costing $12,000. And that's just for 4K.

If you want an actual retina display on it, it costs $50,000+.

It was pointless before, now it just won't be purchased at all.

• Reply 2 of 14

Agreed, that why I included the 'cost effective' proviso in my post.  Keep in mind though that  'retina' is a relative thing.  If you view a TV from 6-10 ft on average, you do not have to have 300+ dpi for it to be a retina display. 

• Reply 3 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycatsnameis View Post

Agreed, that why I included the 'cost effective' proviso in my post.  Keep in mind though that  'retina' is a relative thing.  If you view a TV from 6-10 ft on average, you do not have to have 300+ dpi for it to be a retina display. 

That doesn't change the prices for the panels…

• Reply 4 of 14
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycatsnameis View Post

Just a thought with all the rumours flying around about the conversion of the MacBooks and iMacs to resolution independent displays.

I can't imagine that Apple would be able to steal a march on the TV industry and somehow create and ship (cost effectively) large screen TVs that displayed 1080p signals more cleanly/crisply using a higher res panel (as they've obviously just demonstrated being a desirable feature with the new iPad) ... but if they could ...?

Maybe gen 2 or 3? 

If it was gen 1?  Wow!

What if ... The iTV has a Retina screen?

It does not matter in the least.  A retina quality display will neer change the fact that the incoming signal is not as high of a resolution.  So you would get groups of pixels displaying a single transmitted pixel. The picture would not be appreciably different, so there is no point in over-specifying display resolutions.  

If 4k were to come out as a common consumer recording or media download resolution despite the extreme bandwidth increases then it would be worth it for a 4k display, not until then.

• Reply 5 of 14

Good luck finding content for your 4K+ iTV.

• Reply 6 of 14
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

What if ... The iTV has a Retina screen?

It does not matter in the least.  A retina quality display will neer change the fact that the incoming signal is not as high of a resolution.  So you would get groups of pixels displaying a single transmitted pixel. The picture would not be appreciably different, so there is no point in over-specifying display resolutions.  

If 4k were to come out as a common consumer recording or media download resolution despite the extreme bandwidth increases then it would be worth it for a 4k display, not until then.

If you only consider the video then retina is not going to improve quality. But text and other things rendered by the graphics card may look better.

• Reply 7 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

Not really. Text will look better only if the viewer sits closer to the screen than is advisable.

• Reply 8 of 14
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

If you only consider the video then retina is not going to improve quality. But text and other things rendered by the graphics card may look better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Not really. Text will look better only if the viewer sits closer to the screen than is advisable.

Yup.  There are drastically different viewing ranges for TVs and monitors.  That's the reason monitors NEED the higher resolution and TVs have gotten by for years with much lower resolution than is possible on a desktop or laptop.  That basic tradeoff isn't going to change because TV viewing furniture will never put the viewer in the 18-30 inch range to eye that a monitor is designed for.  Well, unless someone is trying to be an smartass to make a point, but then everyone else could see the lunacy so it just wouldn't matter.

• Reply 9 of 14

Here's something no one has mentioned... virtually every HDTV sold today is already a "retina" screen. All retina means is that at typical viewing distances the pixels become indistinguishable. That's long been the case with 1080p, and in many cases, even 720p content. People don't sit close enough to their screens to get the full benefit of HD, let alone anything higher. 4k in the home is an absurd notion unless you like sitting 4 feet away from your 84" TV or Apple starts shipping new eyes as upgrades.

resolution_chart.png

• Reply 10 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Here's something no one has mentioned... 

No, it is something that no one has reposted that diagram. It is a visual representation of the fact that viewing distance partially determines the criteria for retina display. Several of us have "mentioned" this fact, your being the latest.

• Reply 11 of 14

Quote:

Here's something no one has mentioned... 

Because the chart is utter crap. image

• Reply 12 of 14
    mr. me wrote: »
    No, it is something that no one has reposted that diagram. It is a visual representation of the fact that viewing distance partially determines the criteria for retina display. Several of us have "mentioned" this fact, your being the latest.

I was specifically referring to the information in this thread.
    Because the chart is utter crap. :lol:

Please, do enlighten us as to how you drew that conclusion.
  • Reply 13 of 14

Quote:

Please, do enlighten us as to how you drew that conclusion.

It's just completely and utterly wrong.

I can see the difference between 720 and 1080 on a 1080 screen at the same distance. I can see the difference between 720 on a 720 screen and 1080 on a 1080 screen of the same size at the same distance.

Thinking that 480 and 2160 are 'indiscernible' at 15 feet on a 50" screen is so completely laughable I don't know where to start.

• Reply 14 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's just completely and utterly wrong.

Based on what? You didn't provide any actual factual information to refute it. The spreadsheet that chart was created from is based on SMPTE and THX research on the best seating distances at various screen sizes. It's been used by everyone from Engadget to Audioholics and is considered the gold standard on AVSForums for determining seating distance. Point is, the chart has industry backed science researched by big names like THX behind it. You, on the other hand, have a claim  that it's wrong and provide nothing but your feeling that you can "see the difference between 720 and 1080 on a 1080 screen at the same distance" without even stating the size of the display and the distance you're standing from it. So please, I implore you to indulge and educate me and show how this chart is wrong using something other than your opinion.