Showtime With the Apollo on 01/20/02 (that's 20/01/02 to the Europeans)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
NMR (aka, the Gay Blade) sez 1/20 for the G4 Apollo Powermac.

<a href="http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20020114.php"; target="_blank">http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20020114.php</a>;

SdC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    A Sunday?

Well it would not surprise me at all if they were just 'bumped' like the Powerbooks were. Apple does not need to do a media event to announce speed bumped Powermacs. G5's maybe but not a speed bumped G4.

Bring it on Apple and for the love of God please offer an affordable dual machine.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I don't know what I will say if they are still sticking with that 133Mhz bus
  • Reply 3 of 72
    Check out smalldog's powermac inventory. All current models are backordered (except the refurbs). Same thing happenned with iBooks just before MWSF....
  • Reply 4 of 72
    They usually do Apple Events on Saturdays and Mondays, no? MWSF on Tuesday, MWNY on Wednesday...
  • Reply 5 of 72
    I'm assuming that he means the week of Jan 20. Still sounds kinda soon to me. The Crystal Clear promotion doesn't even end until 1/31.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    [quote]Originally posted by Michael Grey:

<strong>I'm assuming that he means the week of Jan 20. Still sounds kinda soon to me. The Crystal Clear promotion doesn't even end until 1/31.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Doesn't really matter when the promotion ends if the computers are no longer being made or sold anywhere.

• Reply 7 of 72
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    "until, say, Jan. 20 or thereabouts."

At 1.4Ghz, it would almost have to be Apollo manufactured using HiP7(re: 0.13µ and SOI).

We do know that Motorola has been manufacuring embedded processor cores using HiP7 since April, 2001.(press release 4/9/01) How much experience using HiP7 would Motorola need before using this process in a much larger cpu?

How long do you think Apple has been working a a revised motherboard incorporating DDRsdram? I've been hearing that the next motherboard would incorporate DDR since the end of 2000.

Hope it finally happens. Only 6+ days.
  • Reply 8 of 72
    I really hope the bus speeds are dramatically improved. I just saw a review of the 2.2GhZ P4 and the Mobo was scary compared to the PowerMac... including a 400MhZ bus.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    WEll, the 21st is a national holiday here in the US.

So I'd go for the 22nd.

That's also the day many, many state schools start.

Andrew
  • Reply 10 of 72
    But the G4 Apollo aka Shitty-G4-Speed-Bump could have been announced at MW and it wouldn't have stolen the show.

The iMacs are already eating G4 sales...only the idiots are actually out there buying G4 PowerMacs right now...Apple could have announced the G4 Apollo and said it would start shipping at the end of January...unless of course on Jan 20 Apple will tell us to wait one or two more months for the new PowerMacs.

So why didn't Apple announce this speed bump at MW? It doesn't make sense. And like I said, the speed bump would not have stolen the iMac's spotlight.

Good night...you're all stoopid!
  • Reply 11 of 72
    It's not just a speed bump: It's a speed bump and mobo revision.

SdC
  • Reply 12 of 72
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>But the G4 Apollo aka Shitty-G4-Speed-Bump could have been announced at MW and it wouldn't have stolen the show.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the message implicit in the G4 iMac announcement is that "You, the home user, can now do everything at home that the pros do. You don't need 'pro hardware'." I think it would have undercut the iMac's impact to simultaneously announce systems that were considerably more powerful.

I don't see what this angst is about ... obviously new machines are on the way. Then again, I don't see why Apple insists on being this cagey either. A simple "Apple to debut new PowerMacs 1/22" announcement would have cooled people out while still letting Apple put on another dog-and-pony extravaganza.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>It's not just a speed bump: It's a speed bump and mobo revision.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would hope that it is a mobo revision, but I still haven't seen anything outside of these boards (post-MWSF) that speaks to an updated mobo, just a flurry of MHz predictions based on the G4/Apollo.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    I still don't get it. Apple will announce a new G4 tower on Jan 22, with a week still to go on the Crystal Clear promo? THat doesn't make any sense.

It's doubtful that the promo would include the speed-bumped towers, so you would have to wait until after the promo ends to annouce. If you announce a new tower is coming before it ends, everyone will wait for the new tower, hence defeating the point of having a promo at all.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    They can cancel the promo whenever they feel like it. They did that with the TiBook last year. There's 15 day wait on towers right now, why are you fishing in that canal? Get in your car and drive away, the promo has no bearing on when the towers are released.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Stoooopid...stooooooopid....you're all stoooooooopid! AHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Reply 16 of 72
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    Part of the disclaimer in all of Apple's promotions states that it may be discontinued at any time before the "expiration date." Apple did this back in August/September when they were offering the free cd-rw drive with Powerbook titaniums, while originally scheduled to go until MacExpo Paris, Apple canned the promo two weeks early. This promted alot of speculation that we'd see revised Tibooks in Paris, but that expo got cancelled, and the updates didn't come out until October.

Of course, promos do almost without exception, herald the coming of new models. They're designed to clear inventory and help soften the blow to people who bought the old stuff right before the new stuff came out. They may not have the newest hardware, but at least they got a good deal on the old stuff.

From the "Terms and Conditions" part of the "Crystal Clear" coupon:

Apple reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions or end the offer at any time without notice

This basically means that they could end the promotion on the date that the new ones come out, if it is before January 31st, or change the "Terms and Conditions" such that it only applies to the older models, and ride it out until the 31st.

So, basically what I"m trying to say is that the end date really has no bearing here, it's basically just a number the apple marketting department picks based on what the kids in hardware are telling them. I.E. "We'll have the new towers ready by the end of january."

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 18 of 72
    The current promo applies only to the current hardware. The model numbers are cited in the promo's "rules and regulations."

If they introduce new hardware even before the current promotion expires, the new hardware wouldn't be eligible.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    [quote]Originally posted by Michael Grey:

<strong>I still don't get it. Apple will announce a new G4 tower on Jan 22, with a week still to go on the Crystal Clear promo? THat doesn't make any sense.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Every promotion that Apple runs lists the specific model numbers that the promotion is applicable to. Therefore, if Apple introduces new models, those models will undoubtedly not be the same and therefore not part of the promotion. Also, why not continue to run the promo after the new models are introduced? If the old models are still in the channel, the promotion is even more important to clear the channel.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Glue Sniffer:

<strong>

I would hope that it is a mobo revision, but I still haven't seen anything outside of these boards (post-MWSF) that speaks to an updated mobo, just a flurry of MHz predictions based on the G4/Apollo.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, NMR says 1.4 GHz range, which is &gt;10x 133 MHz. So if they stick with PC133, it's not going to run much faster than current ones due to the memory bottleneck.

1.97 GHz, 1.33 GHz and 1.46 GHz are 4.5, 5.0, and 5.5 times 266 MHz, respectively. 6.0x is 1.6 GHz. Those seem to be reasonable multipliers for that speed range, so DDR seems a lock, at least.

I hope Apple goes completely nuts and makes the mobo 400 MHz, which would mean way faster chips (&gt;2.0 GHz) in the near future (as in G5). Even 266 will solve a lot of memory bandwidth problems, though, so I won't bitch if they come in at that speed.