4" screens for Apple's next iPhone will be built as soon as June

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A trio of screen suppliers are reportedly gearing up to begin production of 4-inch displays for Apple's next iPhone as soon as next month, putting the device on track for a fall launch.

LG Display, Sharp, and Japan Display Inc. have all been tapped to build the new, larger screens for Apple, and they will be built as quickly as June, according to Reuters. That means production of the sixth-generation iPhone could begin as soon as August — just in time for the anticipated fall launch.

The details corroborate an earlier report from The Wall Street Journal, which also cited anonymous sources in claiming that Apple has begun ordering screens at least 4 inches in size for its next iPhone. However, the Journal's report did not specify an iPhone production timeline of August, while those who spoke with Reuters gave more specifics on the manufacturing window for the next iPhone.

Both reports did not include Samsung among the list of potential suppliers for the display of the next iPhone. Though they are fierce rivals in the technology industry, Samsung is also a key supplier of Apple, and was the sole supplier of high-resolution Retina displays for the third-generation iPad at launch.

LG and Sharp have provided screens for Apple in the past, but the inclusion of Japan Display Inc. would be a new partnership for the company. Japan Display Inc. is a new creation brokered by the Japanese government that combined the display production operations of three separate companies.

iPhone 4S

All three screen suppliers are said to be "likely" to receive production orders from Apple, setting them up to begin building the 4-inch displays in June. The next iPhone is expected to launch about a year after the debut of the iPhone 4S, which hit the market in October of 2011.

Neither of Wednesday's reports offered any specifics on the screen of the next iPhone aside from a 4-inch diagonal size. Earlier reports have suggested the next iPhone will be the same width as the previous-generation models that featured a 3.5-inch screen, which would mean the 4-inch display would bring about a new aspect ratio.

Apple's apparent move toward a larger iPhone display has been portrayed as a "competitive response" to the Samsung Galaxy S III, unveiled earlier this month. Samsung's new flagship smartphone features a 4.8-inch AMOLED screen that is 1.3 inches larger than the iPhone 4S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 118
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post  ... The details corroborate an earlier report from The Wall Street Journal, ...

This statement would appear to be inaccurate, (whatever the ultimate accuracy of the rumour is).  

Both stories appear to come from the same source.  

It's worth noting that both are quite vague also, but I'm guessing this is drumming up a lot of business in the blogosphere today so in that respect it will be an unstoppable "fact" before lunchtime.  :)

• Reply 2 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I guess Apple doesn't want me to own an iPhone ever again.

• Reply 3 of 118
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Built as soon as June?  Then release in June...  I Can't Wait! (to see what comes of the design)

/

/

/

• Reply 4 of 118
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

4" would have been nice a year or two ago but even that seems smallish now. Most of the top selling Android phone are 4.5 and larger like the 4.8" Samsung, Don't get me wrong, I am all for a larger screen on the iPhone and if I have to settle for only a slightly larger 4" screen then I guess I will. This is all about personal choice and preference and I know some people are perfectly fine with 3.5", but if I had my druthers I would love to see a 4.5" iPhone. I know Apple would probably never do this, but if they made the next iPhone in 2 versions, one with a 3.5" screen and the other with a 4.5" screen, and in all other respects identical. I have to believe the 4.5" would sell in far greater numbers. 

• Reply 5 of 118
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

LG??! I thought Apple would be done with these guys!

• Reply 6 of 118
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Face it, the iphone screen size will increase and everyone will say that's what they always wanted and deny any knowledge of saying 3.5" is the be all end all. Then Apple is gonna market the 4" screen like its the first ever 4" screen and its amazing and will change your life, and people will do like the iphone was the first to come out with a 4" screen.

We've seen this play out before with siri, multi-tasking, 8MP cameras, etc

Lets stop pretending like we don't know how this is gonna turn out.

Lets just be happy that you will finally be able to read a web page without having to zoom in all the time, like other people can on their big screen phones.....unless of course you have super man eyes that is :)

• Reply 7 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

... I know Apple would probably never do this, but if they made the next iPhone in 2 versions, one with a 3.5" screen and the other with a 4.5" screen, and in all other respects identical. I have to believe the 4.5" would sell in far greater numbers. 

You "have to believe this" because no one else will. :)  

The facts are against you on this one.  

• Reply 8 of 118
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

4" would have been nice a year or two ago but even that seems smallish now. Most of the top selling Android phone are 4.5 and larger like the 4.8" Samsung, Don't get me wrong, I am all for a larger screen on the iPhone and if I have to settle for only a slightly larger 4" screen then I guess I will. This is all about personal choice and preference and I know some people are perfectly fine with 3.5", but if I had my druthers I would love to see a 4.5" iPhone. I know Apple would probably never do this, but if they made the next iPhone in 2 versions, one with a 3.5" screen and the other with a 4.5" screen, and in all other respects identical. I have to believe the 4.5" would sell in far greater numbers. 

80% of the people 80% of the time.

Sorry... you're in the other 20% (if that).

3.5" sells well. 4" will sell well (hopefully even better... even if TS won't buy one).

I still think that an updated 4S along with a 4" version would be a perfect match.

• Reply 9 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ditto.  

If this rumour is true, I'm going to cling to the hope that it's actually a 3.85" 300 dpi screen at 960 x 640, which would actually fit in the same sized phone if it was edge to edge and be the exact same aspect ratio, pixel density etc. but still be a bit bigger to the eye.  I'm not sure losing the side bezels would actually be practical, but it might work.  

• Reply 10 of 118

Quote:

4" would have been nice a year or two ago but even that seems smallish now. Most of the top selling Android phone are 4.5 and larger like the 4.8" Samsung…

"Smallish"? Apparently you've never seen them, much less used one. image If I wanted to block out an entire half of my face, I'd put my iPad to my ear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I still think that an updated 4S along with a 4" version would be a perfect match.

Why in the WORLD would they do that? We were shown last year just how stupid that idea was.

• Reply 11 of 118
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I feel the same too but due to opposite reasons:

They had a chance to keep the same form factor but they are going to enlarge it.

They had a chance to ditch the Home but it will be there.

They had a chance to fit 4.5" display but it is lousy 4"

I am afraid that 4" will be the final size that won't change ever again.

And 0.5" is just to little of an improvement.

• Reply 12 of 118
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] LG Display, Sharp, and Japan Display Inc. have all been tapped to build the new, larger screens for Apple, and they will be built as quickly as June [...]

just for comparison, how quickly was June built?
  • Reply 13 of 118
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member

i think the current size is perfect. bigger is not better. i hate those monster Samsung devices. its like carrying around a VCR tape in your pocket.

• Reply 14 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

They had a chance to keep the same form factor but they are going to enlarge it.

That's impossible with a larger screen, though.

Quote:

They had a chance to ditch the Home but it will be there.

You don't understand a thing about this. You don't actually want the Home Button taken away.

Quote:

They had a chance to fit 4.5" display but it is lousy 4"

4" is already too big to use with one hand.

Quote:

I am afraid that 4" will be the final size that won't change ever again.

I'd rather they not change it at all.

• Reply 15 of 118
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This statement would appear to be inaccurate, (whatever the ultimate accuracy of the rumour is).  

Both stories appear to come from the same source.  

It's worth noting that both are quite vague also, but I'm guessing this is drumming up a lot of business in the blogosphere today so in that respect it will be an unstoppable "fact" before lunchtime.  :)

Yeah, but AppleInsider is not above quoting rumor echoes. I expect that kind of content padding from rumor sites who are in the business of inventing stories for click traffic. I've also noticed that they sometimes drop the "Analyst thinks that..." from the headline to make it seem as if someone's opinion is fact, at least in the headline, which then appears in Google News searches and RSS feeds. Then when the product is unveiled the tech and gadget blogosphere explodes in "disappointment" while more ordinary people line up to buy it.
  • Reply 16 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

just for comparison, how quickly was June built?

maybe this clarifies things 

Quote:

That means production of the sixth-generation iPhone could begun as soon as August

• Reply 17 of 118
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

The present size is perfect.  If I need more screen size, I have an iPad.

I really don't want this to be true.  Which is good, because I don't believe it for a second.

• Reply 18 of 118
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Face it, the iphone screen size will increase and everyone will say that's what they always wanted and deny any knowledge of saying 3.5" is the be all end all. Then Apple is gonna market the 4" screen like its the first ever 4" screen and its amazing and will change your life, and people will do like the iphone was the first to come out with a 4" screen.

We've seen this play out before with siri, multi-tasking, 8MP cameras, etc

Good points. There does seem to be a revisionist cycle amongst Apple fandom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Lets just be happy that you will finally be able to read a web page without having to zoom in all the time, like other people can on their big screen phones.....unless of course you have super man eyes that is :)

I have to disagree with that. Particularly with Retina Display, web pages are pretty sharp. Regardless, unless you have a Samsung Note, zooming in once in a while is inevitable. Going from a 3.5" to 4" screen will not eliminate that need.

• Reply 19 of 118
    nycjdcnycjdc Posts: 3member

Nope, won't buy the iPhone 5 if it is a physically larger device; at 4" that's too big. Really can't see carrying around a larger form factor in jeans pockets, suit jacket pocket, dress shirt pocket. Size isn't everything (when it comes to gadgets). I know so many business people that would kill for a smaller smartphone. Don't need a full blown personal computer in my pocket.

• Reply 20 of 118
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You "have to believe this" because no one else will. :)  

The facts are against you on this one.  

I never said that 4" would not be more popular than 4.5", but it is a more popular choice than 3.5" and this poll seems to back me up.http://************/2012/01/25/poll-would-you-like-the-next-iphone-with-bigger-screen/ (link not working for some reason, I guess 9to5 is a banned site for links? )

Granted 4" is the most popular choice with 46.53% of the votes, but 4.3 to 4.5 is more popular than the current 3.5" though not by a wide margin at 15.31% to 13.26%,