4" screens for Apple's next iPhone will be built as soon as June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Face it, the iphone screen size will increase and everyone will say that's what they always wanted and deny any knowledge of saying 3.5" is the be all end all. Then Apple is gonna market the 4" screen like its the first ever 4" screen and its amazing and will change your life, and people will do like the iphone was the first to come out with a 4" screen.

We've seen this play out before with siri, multi-tasking, 8MP cameras, etc

Lets stop pretending like we don't know how this is gonna turn out.

Lets just be happy that you will finally be able to read a web page without having to zoom in all the time, like other people can on their big screen phones.....unless of course you have super man eyes that is :)

I don't intend to be confrontational, but none of this happened.  Why are you saying it did?  I have zero investment in promoting Apple products...but Apple never claimed to have the first voice recognition software, the first multi-tasking software, or the first 8mp camera.  I don't understand - why are you making this up?  You're writing as though you are emotionally involved and are trying to find someway to hurt people who like Apple products.  I'm sure Apple will find a way to put a positive spin on it...it's marketing, but what you wrote is just emotional nonsense, is it not?  Why so emotionally involved?

• Reply 22 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycjdc View Post

Don't need a full blown personal computer in my pocket.

Not to worry. That will never happen no matter how large they make it. Exhibit A: iPad.

• Reply 23 of 118
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I guess Apple doesn't want me to own an iPhone ever again.

So you reject a product before even seeing it or using it?

Frankly if Apple really wanted to impress me they would move forward with two phones. That is maintain two form factors instead of this single product nonsense. Choice is a wonderful thing.

As for me I will milk my current iPhone 4 for as long as possible. At this point keeping my iPad up to date is more rewarding.
  • Reply 24 of 118
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycjdc View Post

Nope, won't buy the iPhone 5 if it is a physically larger device; at 4" that's too big. Really can't see carrying around a larger form factor in jeans pockets, suit jacket pocket, dress shirt pocket. Size isn't everything (when it comes to gadgets). I know so many business people that would kill for a smaller smartphone. Don't need a full blown personal computer in my pocket.

Actually, there are phones with larger screens which are both slimmer AND lighter than the iphone and fit VERY easily into your pocket?

Unless your pocket has a 3 inch opening and is only 5 inches deep, i really don't see how it won't fit. 

I wear skinny jeans from lucky, diesel and D&G and they all have pockets that can EASILY fit an iphone as well as a sgs2. And since the sgs2 is lighter, in some ways its easier to carry around. 

So my suggestion to you, quit buying pants with TINY pockets.

• Reply 25 of 118
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    Face it, the iphone screen size will increase and everyone will say that's what they always wanted and deny any knowledge of saying 3.5" is the be all end all. Then Apple is gonna market the 4" screen like its the first ever 4" screen and its amazing and will change your life, and people will do like the iphone was the first to come out with a 4" screen.

This should be interesting. When are you going to point out where Apple claimed to have invented voice recognition or multitasking or an 8MP camera?

Oh, it's just sleepy making up lies again.

gazoobee wrote: »
    Ditto.  

If this rumour is true, I'm going to cling to the hope that it's actually a 3.85" 300 dpi screen at 960 x 640, which would actually fit in the same sized phone if it was edge to edge and be the exact same aspect ratio, pixel density etc. but still be a bit bigger to the eye.  I'm not sure losing the side bezels would actually be practical, but it might work.  

Actually, they could make a 4" screen with the current aspect ratio with only an insignificant increase in phone size. Or, they could keep the phone at it's current size and get almost to 4" (probably a bit more than your 3.85"). But either way, we're talking about differences that are too small to be noticed by anyone but a few geeks with micrometers in their hands.

gwmac wrote: »
    I never said that 4" would not be more popular than 4.5", but it is a more popular choice than 3.5" and this poll seems to back me up.[URL=http:/2012/01/25/poll-would-you-like-the-next-iphone-with-bigger-screen/]http://************/2012/01/25/poll-would-you-like-the-next-iphone-with-bigger-screen/[/URL] (link not working for some reason, I guess 9to5 is a banned site for links? )

Granted 4" is the most popular choice with 46.53% of the votes, but 4.3 to 4.5 is more popular than the current 3.5" though not by a wide margin at 15.31% to 13.26%, 

Yeah, no one would buy a 3.5" phone. /s

I really wish people would understand the concept that there's more to a phone than simply looking at a screen size. You can't compare a 3.5" iPhone to the 5.3" "worst of both a tablet and a phone" garbage out there. The fact that the iPhone sells so well indicates that people are choosing their phones primarily for reasons other than screen size. If they can get everything they want, then a larger screen might be preferable (but only up to a point).
  • Reply 26 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

I don't intend to be confrontational, but none of this happened.  Why are you saying it did?  I have zero investment in promoting Apple products...but Apple never claimed to have the first voice recognition software, the first multi-tasking software, or the first 8mp camera.  I don't understand - why are you making this up?  You're writing as though you are emotionally involved and are trying to find someway to hurt people who like Apple products.  I'm sure Apple will find a way to put a positive spin on it...it's marketing, but what you wrote is just emotional nonsense, is it not?  Why so emotionally involved?

Because he's a troll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

So you reject a product before even seeing it or using it?

I reject a product having seen and used 4" and larger Android devices. Apple's amazing, but even they can't build tesseractic devices yet.

• Reply 27 of 118
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

The other thing is that all these stories ... and as we all know, there are a lot of them ... seem to assume that Apple is a very reactionary company, with people in Cupertino sitting around constantly going, "OMG!  Samsung did what?!  We need to get on top of that!"

WTF?  Where is there any evidence that Apple behaves this way?  Not to mention that the next iPhone has probably been designed for a long time, already.

• Reply 28 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, it seems that Apple decided the specs of their next phone, of which they will sell hundreds of millions, based on whether they want YOU to own it or not. 

Some of you are so damn self-righteous and vain. I mean, really? You do realize that 4" will easily be on the smaller side of all smartphones, right? You do realize that the most popular non-iPhone  smartphones today are between 4.6-5 inches, right? And that many people will bitch about how 4" is too small? And that even with the increase in screen size, the phone itself might not increase in size, or if it does it will be a negligible increase? You're a moderator, shouldn't you show just a TAD of rationality in your posts, and tone down on the extremism and sensationalism? Are you gonna jump ship to an Android phone if this happens, based on 0.5inches screen increase? Honest question. You've attacked and mocked others for exhibiting the same line of thinking. 

• Reply 29 of 118

4" is the effect size IMO - Not too large like some of the new Android phones and not too small.

If Apple keeps the existing ratio and possible reduces the bezel the physical size of the iPhone won't increase much at all. Still perfect for using with one hand.

A 16:9 ratio would be stupid. It would be great for watching videos but that's about all. I'd rather have the screen functional for 99% of the common tasks I perform and have black bars if I want to watch widescreen video. Just look at tablets with 16:9 ratio that are useless in portrait and even awkward in landscape. 3:4 just works.

• Reply 30 of 118

perfect

• Reply 31 of 118
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:

i heard a rumour that detroit was building a three-wheeled car. i guess they never want me to own a car again.

or are you just drumming up ai business?
  • Reply 32 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

And that many people will bitch about how 4" is too small? 

I would like a larger screen if the interface was slightly larger too. iPhone text and button size is a little small for my old eyes and large hands.

• Reply 33 of 118

Quote:

Yes, it seems that Apple decided the specs of their next phone, of which they will sell hundreds of millions, based on whether they want YOU to own it or not. 

Some of you are so damn self-righteous and vain. I mean, really? You do realize that 4" will easily be on the smaller side of all smartphones, right? You do realize that the most popular non-iPhone  smartphones today are between 4.6-5 inches, right? And that many people will bitch about how 4" is too small? And that even with the increase in screen size, the phone itself might not increase in size, or if it does it will be a negligible increase? You're a moderator, shouldn't you show just a TAD of rationality in your posts, and tone down on the extremism and sensationalism? Are you gonna jump ship to an Android phone if this happens, based on 0.5inches screen increase? Honest question. You've attacked and mocked others for exhibiting the same line of thinking. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i heard a rumour that detroit was building a three-wheeled car. i guess they never want me to own a car again. or are you just drumming up ai business?

AppleInsider: Don't you dare express your own opinions or thoughts, particularly if you present them as ONLY your own opinions or thoughts, because we couldn't care less and will mock you for them

Not the catchiest subtitle in the world, but it's accurate, apparently. image

• Reply 34 of 118
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sol77 wrote: »

You have to understand. Sleepy is one of a group of trolls who insist on spending countless hours attacking a product that they don't use from a company who will never see any of their money.

I can understand fan sites. People who find a product they like like to share information with others who like the same thing. That's human nature. Rumors sites fit into the same category, although they are usually frequented by people who have used a particular company's products for years and have found that the company has a long history of producing great products, so they look forward to what's next.

I can not, however, understand the mentality of someone who goes to a fan site or rumor site for a product that they are proud to announce that they'd never buy and would never use even if someone gave it to them. In spite of having no real experience with using a product, they've decided that it doesn't fit their needs (or their manhood, or something) and take it upon themselves to post many thousands of messages attacking the product and the people who use it.

I've never checked, but I assume that Corvette owners do the same thing on Ferrari fan sites. Even worse, Kia owners probably do, as well.

All I can figure is that it must be some kind of mental illness - probably related to Narcissistic Personality Disorder - which makes these people think that their opinions are valid and somehow more important than the people who actually made a decision to buy a given product.
  • Reply 35 of 118
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

I hope we get a fresh new design with a 4" screen and a raised "flush" home button like the Samsung models have and/or capacitive buttons for volume, forward/back, etc.

I'd also like to see a metal/plastic back to make it lighter, inductive charging and wireless headphones.

• Reply 36 of 118
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

You're a moderator, shouldn't you show just a TAD of rationality in your posts, and tone down on the extremism and sensationalism? Are you gonna jump ship to an Android phone if this happens, based on 0.5inches screen increase? Honest question. You've attacked and mocked others for exhibiting the same line of thinking. 

I agree. And I don't appreciate all my posts being deleted for pointing out the same. Bring back Melgross!

• Reply 37 of 118
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

4" would have been nice a year or two ago but even that seems smallish now. Most of the top selling Android phone are 4.5 and larger like the 4.8" Samsung, Don't get me wrong, I am all for a larger screen on the iPhone and if I have to settle for only a slightly larger 4" screen then I guess I will. This is all about personal choice and preference and I know some people are perfectly fine with 3.5", but if I had my druthers I would love to see a 4.5" iPhone. I know Apple would probably never do this, but if they made the next iPhone in 2 versions, one with a 3.5" screen and the other with a 4.5" screen, and in all other respects identical. I have to believe the 4.5" would sell in far greater numbers. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Lets stop pretending like we don't know how this is gonna turn out.

Lets just be happy that you will finally be able to read a web page without having to zoom in all the time, like other people can on their big screen phones.....unless of course you have super man eyes that is :)

Face it, people are going to describe features of new Apple products in their most basic terminology to make it sound like Apple did nothing to improve the features.

Android had build-in speech rec that did little more than dial the phone and search google. I certainly couldn't tell it to remind me to buy milk when I'm at the grocery store. Well I could, but the most it would do it google a grocery store that might sell milk. It certainly wouldn't remind me when I'm at the store like Siri does.

Multi-tasking while preserving battery life and limited memory resources is hard. Nobody did this before Apple. Some just put in the same desktop-style full multitasking and battery life and performance suffered for it.

8MP cameras were around but none with the optical quality of the iPhone at the time. (Among phones, not point and shoot cameras). I remember the reviews bearing that out.

So if a 4" model comes out, will people hail it as a new Apple invention that is great? Sure, a few fans will. But who cares about them? If this happens, and I can use it with one hand, and it still fits in my pocket, I'll be happy. If not, I won't. I presume most rational people will feel the same way. All I know is I get false "palm touches" when trying to stretch my thumb across a 4.3" Android phone, and even worse on the larger sizes. Anything bigger than that, I might as well get a carrying tote for my iPad and use Skype on that instead.

• Reply 38 of 118
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Why in the WORLD would they do that? We were shown last year just how stupid that idea was.

???? Huh?!

So the 3G hasn't been selling (or selling well with subsidies)?

Of course it's not a stupid idea. The best of both worlds. An updated 4S for you and a 4" iPhone for the millions who have been clamoring for a larger iPhone.

• Reply 39 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

???? Huh?!

So the 3G hasn't been selling (or selling well with subsidies)?

No, the idea that Apple would update two phones at once. They didn't update the iPhone 3GS or the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 4S came out, as some rumors said.

If they're moving to a two-size world, that's absolutely a different story, but I can't believe they'd do that.

• Reply 40 of 118
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member

Quote:

I believe the iPhone has enough room to make the screen larger without increasing the size of the overall phone. If we didn't have Siri and voice text I would like an larger screen for texting, however with those two functions I really have no need for a larger screen, and I certainly have no need for a larger phone.