Mac-bound Retina displays will cost Apple a $92 premium from suppliers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
LCD screens capable of becoming Retina displays for Apple's next-generation Macs are currently available in the supply chain, but they come at a premium as high as $92 over regular screens.

DisplaySearch Senior Analyst Richard Shim told CNet that super-high-resolution 13.3-inch and 15.4-inch screens are already available from LCD suppliers. But a Retina-quality screen for Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro would cost $160 from suppliers, as opposed to $68 for current, standard-resolution screens.

Similarly, with a 13.3-inch display, a Retina-caliber screen is $134, while the LCD panels Apple currently uses are estimated to cost $69.

If Apple does in fact add Retina displays to its future Macs, as is expected, it's unknown whether the cost of these high-resolution screens would be passed on to the consumer. Apple upgraded its iPhone, iPod touch and iPad product lineups to Retina displays without increasing the price.

The screens DisplaySearch says are available that would be ideal for Apple's next-generation MacBook Pros are a 15.4-inch panel with a resolution of 2,880 by 1,800 pixels, or 220 pixels per inch, and a 13.3-inch screen with a resolution of 2,560 by 1,600 pixels, or 227 pixels per inch. Each would add at least 100 pixels per inch to their respective MacBook Pro models.

WWDC 2012

Numerous reports have indicated Apple will introduce new, thinner MacBook Pros at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. Those new professional notebooks are expected to include Retina display-like screens that will be driven by Intel's latest-generation Ivy Bridge processors.

The new MacBook Pros are expected to follow in the footsteps of Apple's popular MacBook Air lineup by ditching built-in optical drives and adding flash memory for faster performance and greater reliability.

It has also been reported that Apple will update its all-in-one desktop line of iMacs at WWDC when it kicks off June 11. The new iMacs are also expected to have high-resolution Retina displays, but potential screens for the desktop were not highlighted by DisplaySearch.

In addition, DisplaySearch did not specifically identify any potential Retina display LCDs for a 17-inch MacBook Pro. One prediction published in April suggested Apple would discontinue its 17-inch MacBook Pro, leaving only the 13- and 15-inch models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Finally, some supply rumors. This should help the skeptics who say no Retina line until 2013 for Macs. I may be a dupe, but at this point I can't imagine there not being Retina displays in all the new MacBooks.

• Reply 2 of 52
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

Finally, some supply rumors. This should help the skeptics who say no Retina line until 2013 for Macs. I may be a dupe, but at this point I can't imagine there not being Retina displays in all the new MacBooks.

Not all, just as not all iPads have Retina displays.

• Reply 3 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

Not all, just as not all iPads have Retina displays.

I said all new MacBooks. All new iPads are Retina.

• Reply 4 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

This should help the skeptics who say no Retina line until 2013 for Macs. I may be a dupe, but at this point I can't imagine there not being Retina displays in all the new MacBooks.

I still don't believe it. I want leaked panel images before I'll consider it. Do people really think that 11" 2732x1536 and 13" 2880x1800 displays would be able to stay under our radar for this long, particularly if the machines using them are being released in just three weeks, much less 15" 2880x1800 displays. 

• Reply 5 of 52

Quote:

I'm wondering more about battery life and heat.  If the cost difference really is that low, and all else being equal, I can't see leaving Retina out either.

• Reply 6 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I still don't believe it. I want leaked panel images before I'll consider it. Do people really think that 11" 2732x1536 and 13" 2880x1800 displays would be able to stay under our radar for this long, particularly if the machines using them are being released in just three weeks, much less 15" 2880x1800 displays. 

Is WWDC only three weeks away now? I hadn't even realized! That sends shivers down my spine. Of course, it could just be that the air conditioning is over-acting, but I like to believe it's anticipation.

• Reply 7 of 52
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

As ever, Apple will buy in bulk and drive down the price.

• Reply 8 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

So this rumor would neatly dovetail into the notion of a 4K "Retina-style" Apple TV, yes?

• Reply 9 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Retinas seem more likely to be an extra-cost option, because hi-res displays have been that way for years and (I would imagine) producing retina displays in high volume may be difficult. By making retinas optional, demand will be reduced such that supply can maintain pace, and Apple will still reap the reward of being first to market.

btw: the current iPad 2 has an old name but is new, as it contains an updated A5 processor.

• Reply 10 of 52
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member

Can you imagine Dell or HP trying to keep up with this move from Apple?   This will create a 3-4 year advantage to Apple.  It's a home run   

• Reply 11 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So this rumor would neatly dovetail into the notion of a 4K "Retina-style" Apple TV, yes?

No, 1080p HD TVs are already Retina, there would be no point in a 4k Apple TV other than stat inflation which Apple is not in the habit of doing. 4K ACDs, perhaps, TVs, no way.

• Reply 12 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

btw: the current iPad 2 has an old name but is new, as it contains an updated A5 processor.

Your powers of anal retention are unsurpassed.  You know what the poster meant.

• Reply 13 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

• Reply 14 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

As ever, Apple will buy in bulk and drive down the price.

Thanks for the first correct response.

• Reply 15 of 52

Quote:

No, 1080p HD TVs are already Retina, there would be no point in a 4k Apple TV other than stat inflation which Apple is not in the habit of doing. 4K ACDs, perhaps, TVs, no way.

"1080p HD TVs are already Retina?"  Wouldn't that depend on the size of the HD TV?

• Reply 16 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"1080p HD TVs are already Retina?"  Wouldn't that depend on the size of the HD TV?

Pick a size and we'll check. I'll bet each one turns out to be Retina.

• Reply 17 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Only some.

• Reply 18 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

And the viewing distance, as well.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do people really think that 11" 2732x1536 and 13" 2880x1800 displays would be able to stay under our radar for this long, particularly if the machines using them are being released in just three weeks... 

Not to nitpick, but "announced" or "introduced"...

versus "released"?

Not quite the same thing for Apple, sometimes by 6-8 weeks, isn't it?

Or am I remembering iPad wrong?

• Reply 20 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Not to nitpick, but "announced" or "introduced"...

versus "released"?

Not quite the same thing for Apple, sometimes by 6-8 weeks, isn't it?

Or am I remembering iPad wrong?

iPad, sure. When they weren't already selling a product in that field. Apple will not announce a new computer unless you can buy it that day.