Apple argues plaintiffs are too vague in class action lawsuit over Siri

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fuzz_ball wrote: »
    2) Predicated on 1 above; most of the things I've tried with Siri that I've seen advertised either NEVER work, or at best work 50% of the time.

Who am I? A Californian with the same "accent" as Steve Jobs, so it's not like I have a difficult accent that Siri isn't used to yet. And I'm talking basic things: like reading my text or e-mail to me, which was advertised in the first commercials. I find that for me, Siri is only consistently good at one thing: setting the timer (and I do use it frequently when I cook). They really shouldn't have marketed it so heavily before they got it working better IMO.

Things never work or at best 50% of the time?

Other than the obvious fact that giving that wide a range suggests that you haven't actually tried it or are making things up, if that's true, take your phone back for a replacement. The majority of reports suggest that Siri works very well for most people.
  • Reply 22 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Things never work or at best 50% of the time?

Other than the obvious fact that giving that wide a range suggests that you haven't actually tried it or are making things up, if that's true, take your phone back for a replacement. The majority of reports suggest that Siri works very well for most people.

Where are the reports that Siri works very well for most people? Why take the phone back for a replacement? Isn't it going to be the same exact thing because it's the software and not the hardware? Yes, Apple has a 30-day Return Policy, but they shouldn't have wasted people's time falsely advertising a "beta" feature on a high-end phone in the first place.

• Reply 23 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Where are the reports that Siri works very well for most people?

Really?

Quote:

Why take the phone back for a replacement? Isn't it going to be the same exact thing because it's the software and not the hardware?

Not if the hardware's faulty, no.

Quote:

Yes, Apple has a 30-day Return Policy, but they shouldn't have wasted people's time falsely advertising a "beta" feature on a high-end phone in the first place.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I miss our emoticons.

• Reply 24 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really?

I was curious, so I looked it up myself..

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57398270-1/friday-poll-is-siri-as-advertised/

This was a poll from March 16, 2012..

• Reply 25 of 34
    I was curious, so I looked it up myself..

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57398270-1/friday-poll-is-siri-as-advertised/

This was a poll from March 16, 2012..

ROTFLMAO. I hope you realize that the small percentage of people who have problems are grossly overrepresented in a poll like that. That's like polling a help desk and asking how many customers have problems with their device. Obviously, the ones who call the help desk are likely to be having problems.

How about some real evidence?

Meanwhile, read some reviews. Almost every review I've seen says, in effect, "while Siri isn't perfect, it is an amazing piece of technology and got most of our requests right".
  • Reply 26 of 34
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    Apple should have Samuel L. Jackson testify, no jury would rule against him.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member

Quote:

ROTFLMAO. I hope you realize that the small percentage of people who have problems are grossly overrepresented in a poll like that. That's like polling a help desk and asking how many customers have problems with their device. Obviously, the ones who call the help desk are likely to be having problems.

Meanwhile, read some reviews. Almost every review I've seen says, in effect, "while Siri isn't perfect, it is an amazing piece of technology and got most of our requests right".

So you completely brush aside an online poll and cite a couple datapoints of reviewers as an authoritative source on overall consumer experience and satisfaction. Good job champ.

• Reply 28 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

So you completely brush aside an online poll and cite a couple datapoints of reviewers as an authoritative source on overall consumer experience and satisfaction. Good job champ.

The media jumps on absolutely everything Apple does, good or bad. They squash the good and magnify the bad.

A 50% success rate for Siri, if true, is absolutely pathetic, and we would have heard about it months ago. Either people are lying (by trolls skewing results, people remembering incorrectly, or Siri just actually works better than polled), people don't care (it's the media; this isn't the case), or it just doesn't matter enough to report.

As I think we can both throw out the middle, that leaves the former and the latter. I pose the question of why it wouldn't matter that the front-running feature of the most popular phone on Earth has only a 50% success rate. This is left for others to answer, or to consider the former. Remembering incorrectly, of course, is a perfectly valid option that I wouldn't throw out.

• Reply 29 of 34

Quote:

Small percentage of people? I think 800 total votes so far, and on a well known source (Cnet) is a pretty good indication of how REAL Apple users think of Siri so far because I don't think Android users have that much time to skew an online poll for Apple. Here are the breakdowns..

1) 80 people out of 800 (10%) said they have had no problems using Siri in their daily use.

2) 336 out of 800 (42%) has had nothing but trouble using Siri..

3) 240 out of 800 (30%) says it sometimes work.

4) 120 people (15%) probably didn't really care about how Siri works or not because it's in "beta" and will get better.

5) 24 people (3%) had other things to say.

Need more? Here's another one, a more recent poll: http://www.imore.com/2012/04/30/siri-months-poll/

This coming from an Apple fansite nonetheless..

Good enough for you?

• Reply 30 of 34
    binexbinex Posts: 23member
    Small percentage of people? I think 800 total votes so far, and on a well known source (Cnet) is a pretty good indication of how REAL Apple users think of Siri so far because I don't think Android users have that much time to skew an online poll for Apple. Here are the breakdowns..

1) 80 people out of 800 (10%) said they have had no problems using Siri in their daily use.
    2) 336 out of 800 (42%) has had nothing but trouble using Siri..
    3) 240 out of 800 (30%) says it sometimes work.
    4) 120 people (15%) probably didn't really care about how Siri works or not because it's in "beta" and will get better.
    5) 24 people (3%) had other things to say.

Need more? Here's another one, a more recent poll: http://www.imore.com/2012/04/30/siri-months-poll/

This coming from an Apple fansite nonetheless..

Good enough for you?

Not at all. Oh how I laughed!

So the first survey of 800 represents a massive 0.0023% of the 35.1 million iPhones shipped in Q2 2012 alone and the latter survey an absolutely astonishing 0.0141%!!

Truly significant results indeed! /s
  • Reply 31 of 34
    binex wrote: »
    Not at all. Oh how I laughed!
    So the first survey of 800 represents a massive 0.0023% of the 35.1 million iPhones shipped in Q2 2012 alone and the latter survey an absolutely astonishing 0.0141%!!
    Truly significant results indeed! /s

Even more important than that is the fact that the 'surveys' are not representative of anything. People who respond to surveys like that are far more likely to have problems than the average user.

Since AndroidUser is obviously confused by technology and computers, let's put it into a form he can understand. If you ask your local transmission repair shop how many Hondas have transmission problems, he will respond "all of them" since every one he sees has a transmission problem. Obviously, there's a sampling problem.

Let's see what media sites are saying:
    Engadget: "Should you find yourself owning the requisite hardware to give Siri a shot, you'll probably be pretty impressed with what she can do."

Mashable "Siri has come a long way since it was first introduced as a less-accurate and somewhat incomplete iPhone app. Now it’s better integrated into iOS 5, and my immediate impression is that it’s more accurate than it’s ever been. Even in a noisy environment inside a car going 60 miles an hour, it can still understand most of what you’re saying if you hold the iPhone up to your ear. Its speech recognition isn’t perfect, and some of its errors are laughable, but in a quiet environment its accuracy is nearly equal to that of the desktop version of NaturallySpeaking running on extremely powerful processors.

BusinessInsider: "Yes, Siri Actually Works, Even If You Have A British Accent"

Guardian: "The whole point of it, as is the whole point of anything that Apple does well, is that you don't notice it's there. It will just work in a Stanley Kubrick/Arthur C Clarke kind of way"

Wired: "It’s kind of like having the unpaid intern of my dreams at my beck and call, organizing my life for me. I think Siri on the iPhone is a life changer, and this is only the beginning."

knowyourmobile.com "like with Dragon Dictation on PC, Siri can surprise with its web searching and its ability to pick the most suitable web source for a query. It can be scarily accurate, which is definitely something you could impress people with down the pub."

Venture Beat: "With Siri, the 4S becomes something much more than just a phone — it becomes a gateway to a future where talking to our computers will be as commonplace as talking to our loved ones."

And on and on and on and on.
  • Reply 32 of 34

Türkiye'nin En Elit Travesti Modelleri.Travesti chatroulette chat roulette  Türkiye'nin ilk Travestiler'e yönelik online chat roulette  sohbet ve chat sitemiz çok yakinda.Travesti Best Model üyeleri sohbet odalari chat kanallar'inda diger ü…[url=http://www.travestibestmodel.net/]Travesti.[/url]

• Reply 33 of 34
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not good enough, according to our Australian friends.

See, people don't actually have to take any responsibility of their own. They can do whatever they want and then sue when things don't meet their expectations, even if their expectations of the device aren't in the feature set.

I think that difference was that the courts decided that Apple Australia were guilty of misrepresenting their product, the law takes precedent over company's policies.

With regard to Siri, I think that most reasonable people would agree that Apple's adverts focus very heavily on Siri as a USP. Personally I think that promoting a Beta feature in such a way is flawed, that said, it doesn't seem to be illegal.

• Reply 34 of 34
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefthinker View Post

....and attorneys wonder why they are so despised as group....forever trying to find "legal" ways of extortion and perpetuating the waste of time and money for their inflated egos only to create billable hours...Pathetic.

That cuts both ways... would you describe the Apple IP lawyers as thus.

It's a rhetorical question, please do not feel obliged to reply...