Apple issues developers new beta build of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday supplied its developers with an updated version of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3, the pre-release build of the forthcoming Mac operating system update.

The software update is now available in the Mac App Store. People familiar with the latest build said it is identified as "12A206J."

Apple has reportedly informed developers that MacBook Pro model released in mid-2007 are not compatible with the new build. The issue is expected to be resolved with a future update.

People familiar with the build also said that an error occurs when using Fast User Switching, in which the desktop may appear white for several seconds. Problems are also said to remain with the share menu related to Mail and Twitter in the pre-release build.

Issues are also said to remain from the previous build, including the fact that Notes no longer sync with iTunes, and Java applets may not work in Safari. Apple also reportedly informed developers that QuickTime screen recordings can be corrupted when using machines with Nvidia graphics processing

Wednesday's update is the second issued for the third developer preview of Mountain Lion; the last update was supplied to developers on May 1.

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3 was first supplied to Apple's development community in April.The second preview of Mountain Lion came about a month before, in mid-March.

Mountain Lion is scheduled to go on sale on the Mac App Store this summer. More on the next version of the Mac OS X operating system will be shown off at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which will kick off on June 11 in San Francisco, Calif.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Odd. I see nothing in the App Store, or on the Apple site. This is similar to the last update which apparently only some users received via the App Store under 10.8.

• Reply 2 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Odd. I see nothing in the App Store, or on the Apple site. This is similar to the last update which apparently only some users received via the App Store under 10.8.

Are you a developer?

• Reply 3 of 37
    jamesmcdjamesmcd Posts: 68member

Mine says that it requires 6.65GB on the App Store updater. The previous build was only 1-2. My poor SSD is very very low...

• Reply 4 of 37
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I was able to get the Mountain Lion Dev Pre running on a Hackintosh with the EP45-UD3P and everything works great except the sound.  Still working on it.

Don't like the fact that Apple ruled out my 2007 MacPro 8 core because of its requirements to have the 64bit ROM.  Guess I will help Apple increase their 100 billion + reserve.

I did get Mountain Lion Working on a non 64bit ROM (unsupported Mac) but it isn't too stable.  Did major Kexts and plist mods though.  Goodness.

• Reply 5 of 37

Hopefully Vodafone don't mind that I'm updating over my 3G connection image

• Reply 6 of 37
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Hmm, perhaps we'll get a new developers build of Safari 5.2.  The last update was developer update 3.  

• Reply 7 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hmm, perhaps we'll get a new developers build of Safari 5.2.  The last update was developer update 3.  

I hope so - Safari 5.2 has a long way to go. I for one hate it; constantly crashing, text input stops randomly, no Activity window anymore, Firebug style Page Source window that's too small, etc. etc.

• Reply 8 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

…Firebug style Page Source window that's too small, etc. etc.

You… can make that its own window, you know. You've always been able to do that. Hang on, here… 

Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 5.33.21 PM.png

The second icon from the left.

And of course Safari crashes as I'm posting. For the 10th time today. Hopefully it IS changed in DP 3.2… image

• Reply 9 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

I hope so - Safari 5.2 has a long way to go. I for one hate it; constantly crashing, text input stops randomly, no Activity window anymore, Firebug style Page Source window that's too small, etc. etc.

I even get some weird stuff from version 5.1.5. On an older core2 iMac it is getting artifact lines and skewed content when I scroll. On my 8 core Mac Pro I had some crashing when I overloaded it with several heavy JS pages and 500 row tables with a little Flash thrown in for good measure. Had to switch to Chrome for that job because Safari just couldn't handle it. Major spinning beach balls on every page even after restarting the browser and then also restarting the computer, Safari just could not handle the load where Chrome had no problem whatsoever. Normally I use Safari.

• Reply 10 of 37

Safari 5.2 has been very stable for me, don't know why it's crashing all the time for others. Well when I get home I will download this update and test it out.

• Reply 11 of 37
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    By the way, I just asked Siri about the pink panther, and guess what? It turns out he is a mountain lion!
  • Reply 12 of 37
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I was able to get the Mountain Lion Dev Pre running on a Hackintosh with the EP45-UD3P and everything works great except the sound.  Still working on it.

Don't like the fact that Apple ruled out my 2007 MacPro 8 core because of its requirements to have the 64bit ROM.  Guess I will help Apple increase their 100 billion + reserve.

I did get Mountain Lion Working on a non 64bit ROM (unsupported Mac) but it isn't too stable.  Did major Kexts and plist mods though.  Goodness.

it seems like you answered why Apple isn't supporting non-64bit ROM machines.  ;-)

• Reply 13 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Yeah, Apple Apple has MacPro users to credit for their 100+billion cash reserve. You know, cause of all the MacPros they sell. And there's no other reason to have that requirement in ML than to screw over owners of the 2007 MacPro, because thats such a big segment of their userbase and will rake in so much cash from that. Great work there tiger. Quite the sherlock you are. 

• Reply 14 of 37

I'm so ready for Mountain Lion.  Lion has been great, but I need better integration with iOS.  The Reminder and Notes apps will be wonderful to have on OS X finally.  Bring it on Apple.

• Reply 15 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Why is it that everyone is using Gigabyte MB for Hackintosh? Is it because the kexts are already written for it? And why is the sound so hard to get working? I want to build one soon to get in practice in case they discontinue the Mac Pro, but I want to build a dual xeon version so I have the power I need. Anybody have any success with that configuration? Normally I use Supermicro for dual xeon Linux boxes.

• Reply 16 of 37
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

According to MR, you have to be running build 12A178q or higher:

12a206j.jpg

http://www.macrumors.com

• Reply 17 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I wouldn't be surprised to find that every Mac Pro sale is a negative for Apple. Demand isn't strong enough to cover the development costs associated with the machine.
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yeah, Apple Apple has MacPro users to credit for their 100+billion cash reserve. You know, cause of all the MacPros they sell. And there's no other reason to have that requirement in ML than to screw over owners of the 2007 MacPro, because thats such a big segment of their userbase and will rake in so much cash from that. Great work there tiger. Quite the sherlock you are. 

They aren't screwing over anybody. Software either evolves or it dies. Beyond that Developer Previews aren't even Betas. Given that everything about the OS is subject to change or out right redaction.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    superjunaidsuperjunaid Posts: 104member

Quote:

I'd love to find out which method you used, I've got the same motherboard :)

• Reply 19 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to find that every Mac Pro sale is a negative for Apple. Demand isn't strong enough to cover the development costs associated with the machine.

They aren't screwing over anybody. Software either evolves or it dies. Beyond that Developer Previews aren't even Betas. Given that everything about the OS is subject to change or out right redaction.

I know, I was being sarcastic. To many on this board, every single change or move that Apple makes is made for the sole reason and motivation of 'screwing over' owner or user of X or Y. Their next OS doesn't support some shitty 10 year old software? Apple designed the OS from the ground up simply to screw over owners of that particular software, obviously. Nothing to do with making the OS more lean and efficient by dropping legacy code, nope. Just to 'screw over' some of its users. Many can't see 2 feet beyond their own noses. 

• Reply 20 of 37
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What development costs?

Take a January 2006 case design, slap in slightly modified Intel reference motherboard, plug in industry standard parts, ship, profit.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac Pro, including software, is still the highest margin product in the Apple catalogue.