Rumor: LG Display, AU Optronics have passed certification for 'iPad mini' LCD panels

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new report claims display makers LG Display and AU Optronics have passed certification tests for LCD panels bound for a rumored "iPad mini."

Taiwan's The Liberty Times (Google Translation, via MacOtakara) reported on Wednesday that the two companies are now preparing shipments of the panels to Apple.

The report also claimed Radiant will supply the backlight module and Nissha Printing will provide a thin-film sensor to TPK and Chimei Innolux. The rumor comes on the heels of an earlier report also out of Taiwan that claimed the rumored device would make use of a "G/F2" thin-film touch technology from Nissha.

Author Chen Meiying said that, according to market rumors, the so-called "iPad mini" is expected to come out at the end of the third quarter or into the fourth quarter of this year. 2012 shipment targets were said to be six million units.

An increasing number of analysts and anonymous sources have claimed that Apple is developing a smaller form-factor iPad. For instance, Barclays' Ben A. Reitzes said this week that his research has led him to believe that the company will release such a device this fall.

Reports have suggested that the new iPad would have a 7.85-inch screen with a resolution of 1,024 x 768 pixels, the same as the first-generation and second-generation iPads. Apple's latest iPad features a Retina Display with double the resolution of its predecessors.

Rumors of an 8-inch iPad have been met with skepticism by some, especially in light of comments made by late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs on an earnings conference call in 2010. At the time, Jobs said that the size of smaller form-factor tablets wasn't "sufficient to create great tablet apps."

Daring Fireball's John Gruber has said a 7.85-inch display with the 1,024 x 768 resolution would be "usable." After his sources told him that Apple was "nodding" with such a device in its labs, Gruber performed an informal test by taking screenshots of an iPad and then viewing them in landscape mode.

"There are a couple areas where I think text is maybe a little too small, but it's not ridiculously small," he said.

iPad screenshot
Screenshot of iPad in portrait viewed in landscape

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Look, I'm not changing my views on this nonsense, nor am I changing my belief that it would be a failure, given that over 70% of shipped tablets are iPads and 95% of all tablet traffic is on iPads.

But If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out, man. Keep believing this stuff, and if it happens, it happens.

Apple hasn't had a failure since the Cube, and I'd rather it be a small one than a big one. Like an HDTV.

• Reply 2 of 43
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Look, I'm not changing my views on this nonsense

Good, because your opinions have no bearing on what Apple chooses to do.

The multitude of different rumors from different sources certainly seems legitimate. It's not just one "analyst" with a bug up his butt.

• Reply 3 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

The multitude of different rumors from different sources certainly seems legitimate. It's not just one "analyst" with a bug up his butt.

Nor was that the case in 2008 with the iPhone nano.

• Reply 4 of 43

It's not the DigiTimes, it must be true.

• Reply 5 of 43
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    And Apple will dominate the tablet market by even a wider margin by adding a 7" model to the line up.. I don't have an iPad but I would definitely buy one if it's 7". And I'm sure there a lot of people who would want one to.
  • Reply 6 of 43

Quote:

After his sources told him that Apple was "nodding" with such a device in its labs, Gruber performed an informal test by taking screenshots of an iPad and then viewing them in landscape mode.

Yes, "nodding." image

• Reply 7 of 43
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I don't believe it either, but if it sticks it to the Android market...game on!

With all these rumours whipping around I can't help but think that WWDC 2012 is going to go for about four hours.

iOS6, Mountain Lion, new MacBook Pros, iPhone 5, Apple TV Panel, 7 inch iPad, a Siri update, new iCloud features.

The list goes on and on.

It's a fucking horrible time to be an Apple fan.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member

What is FACTUALLY coming

Is Called an iPod Touch !!!!

IF

Apple plays in this smaller screen size niche, it will be a SCREEN SIZE INCREASE to the iPod Touch !!

This is So very obvious to me !!!

Why is it not so obvious to all ????

• Reply 9 of 43
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Look, I'm not changing my views on this nonsense, nor am I changing my belief that it would be a failure, given that over 70% of shipped tablets are iPads and 95% of all tablet traffic is on iPads.

But If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out, man. Keep believing this stuff, and if it happens, it happens.

Apple hasn't had a failure since the Cube, and I'd rather it be a small one than a big one. Like an HDTV.

The real question is how much larger market an 8" tablet can address. If Apple can make an effective $300 tablet in that size, I don't doubt that they can sell 12 million a quarter without a negative impact on iPad sales.

I'll admit it: I hate the iPad's size when it comes to typing. It is awkward to hold, and the keyboards really aren't well done. The portrait split keyboard isn't too bad, but laying in bed typing is pretty awkward. I hate needing to bring a bag if i want to take it with me. But, I wouldn't want a unit with less than the 64GB or a lower quality camera, or without unlocked cellular service. Fortunately, the price difference isn't an issue for me, but the price does keep me from pushing my wife to upgrade her first generation iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I think such a device could be targeting gamers, competing even more directly with Sony and Nintendo. Thinking about it it feels like the sweet spot size for pocket gaming.
  • Reply 11 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I don't believe it either, but if it sticks it to the Android market...game on!

With all these rumours whipping around I can't help but think that WWDC 2012 is going to go for about four hours.

iOS6, Mountain Lion, new MacBook Pros, iPhone 5, Apple TV Panel, 7 inch iPad, a Siri update, new iCloud features.

The list goes on and on.

It's a fucking horrible time to be an Apple fan.

Well we have some updates that are free:

1. iOS6

2. Mountain Lion (OS X Dev Program)

3. Siri Update

4. iCloud (depends on what the pay options are)

Things that cost money:

1. new MacBook Pro (if a 17" is in the mix)

2. iPhone (6th gen) ~299 (32GB)

3. Apple TV Panel (depends on the size and if the current Apple TV will get the software update)

4. 7" iPad (maybe.. since already own 2 iPads (2nd and 3rd gen)

So I'll be buying 2 iPhone (6th gens) approximately 300+400 (700+tax), I believe it's do able. VERY Excited for sure!

• Reply 12 of 43
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Like I said before.. this device is actually the next iPhone.  It will be called the iPhone Maxi-Pad.

• Reply 13 of 43
    It is stating the obvious that the current iPad 2 competes with the new iPad so 'it's gotta go'.

This is also a major opportunity to cut costs to something more 'Mini'.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Let's start by considering price point. The IPad 2 starts at $399 US. The Touch runs from $199 for 8GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB. This mini iPad, one could speculate, would wind up at something like $349 for 16GB. While one can easily get away with 8GB on a 3.5-inch Touch, it's inadequate for an 8-inch tablet.

So you're a consumer and you have your choice between a $349 8-inch iPad or for $399 you can have the 10-inch version. The first thing you're going to do is try them out back-to-back. Doing that, nine out of 10 consumers, I suggest, would gravitate to the IPad 2. That extra screen real estate is transformative. It makes the IPad what it is.

Portability would not, meanwhile, be dramatically improved. An 8-inch tablet is no more pocketable than the 10-inch version.

This beast would be a sales dog and yet Apple would still have to invest a lot of time and money into developing and building the thing.

Why do this. That a small percentage of consumers would want to have a device this exact size isn't enough. And even some of those consumers would be satisfied with a somewhat larger Touch though one still legitimately pocketable.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    jonshfjonshf Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I think such a device could be targeting gamers, competing even more directly with Sony and Nintendo. Thinking about it it feels like the sweet spot size for pocket gaming.

The key is pocketability. It has to fit in a jacket or coat pocket. A slim bezel on the longer sides would do this - a form factor more like a large ipod touch. The question then is whether it can be conveniently held with one hand.

If they pull that off then it will target gamers and others who would want a more mobile tablet.

• Reply 16 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    carmissimo wrote: »
    Let's start by considering price point. The IPad 2 starts at $399 US. The Touch runs from $199 for 8GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB. This mini iPad, one could speculate, would wind up at something like $349 for 16GB. While one can easily get away with 8GB on a 3.5-inch Touch, it's inadequate for an 8-inch tablet.
    So you're a consumer and you have your choice between a $349 8-inch iPad or for $399 you can have the 10-inch version. The first thing you're going to do is try them out back-to-back. Doing that, nine out of 10 consumers, I suggest, would gravitate to the IPad 2. That extra screen real estate is transformative. It makes the IPad what it is.
    Portability would not, meanwhile, be dramatically improved. An 8-inch tablet is no more pocketable than the 10-inch version.
    This beast would be a sales dog and yet Apple would still have to invest a lot of time and money into developing and building the thing.
    Why do this. That a small percentage of consumers would want to have a device this exact size isn't enough. And even some of those consumers would be satisfied with a somewhat larger Touch though one still legitimately pocketable.

I think $299 is more realistic given the market and the savings compared to the $399 iPad. At that price, I believe it will sell very well. There are millions of 7" tablets being sold and the iPad could take a large percentage of those.

Given a $299 (or even $349) iPad Mini vas a $399 iPad 2, I don't think it's as clear cut as you're suggesting. A lot of people would choose it for the form factor regardless of the price. Others would say "it does just about everything that the 10" iPad does and it's $50 or $100 cheaper". I really didn't expect the $399 iPad 2 to continue to sell well after the new iPad was released but it did. Some people put a very high value on the price - even when the difference is modest.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    skyzlmtskyzlmt Posts: 46member

Whats the difference between a bigger iPod touch and a smaller iPad?

• Reply 18 of 43
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nor was that the case in 2008 with the iPhone nano.

The iPhone Nano, the iPhone 5, ... the 4" iPhone, ... now the 8" iPad. I've left out a multitude.

How many times have we seen these rumors, with great specificity regarding the details of the "new Apple device", that turned out to be just rumors. The fact that they are repeated from multiple sources means nothing, it's just the usual copying and rewriting of the rumor by various entities to make it seem like they are in the know.

• Reply 19 of 43
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

Whats the difference between a bigger iPod touch and a smaller iPad?

I guess you haven't used either of them, but, obviously, the UIs are distinct.

• Reply 20 of 43
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member

Well Apple is making their phone size to keep up with the competitors, why not their tablet.   As big as they are, I am shocked how slow they move.   I guess Steve was just too happy about "All the things they didn't release".