Verizon clarifies stance on unlimited data amid misreported rumors

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    tquilatquila Posts: 7member

Do the proposed shared plans have an unlimited option?

• Reply 22 of 28

Based on how the article read to me, I doubt their are unlimited options at all.  They may be more reasonably priced within their caps and the caps may be at varying amounts, but it is implied to me that their will be some kind of cap for each plan that will be offerned.

• Reply 23 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior56 View Post

Based on how the article read to me, I doubt their are unlimited options at all.  They may be more reasonably priced within their caps and the caps may be at varying amounts, but it is implied to me that their will be some kind of cap for each plan that will be offerned.

There is still one unlimited option left. 

If you are a current Verizon customer that:

- Has a smartphone

- Is on one of the grand-fathered unlimited data plans

You can still retain your unlimited data plan as long as you do one of the following options:

- Not upgrade your current phone

- If you upgrade, you buy the upgraded smartphone at its full retail value, not the discounted 2 year plan price.

• Reply 24 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQuila View Post

Do the proposed shared plans have an unlimited option?

Of course not. 

• Reply 25 of 28
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That would depend on the actual usage vs the data cap. I used 6 gigs last month, on a 2 gig plan I would've paid $40 more if I'm on a 4 gig plan it would've been $20 extra, so in my case it would pay off to pay full retail.

I hear you but I would warn everyone that LTE rocks. I have the new ipad with LTE data and have been using upwards of 18 gigs. If i can pay full price for the new iPhone and keep my unlimited data, is a no brainer.

The key thing here is LTE opens up the hose to a lot of data and you will blow past 3gigs in no time.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daves1811 View Post

??I love all these "Glad I'm NOT a Verizon customer" threads.  I'm a Verizon Customer and I've had an iPhone since they first offered it.  I can see how for some folks the loss of unlimited data would be a huge upset if you use a lot of it, but I think it's also fair to say this slice of customers is somewhat small in comparison to the full pie of Verizon customers.

For me it's not that big of a deal.  I am currently on the unlimited "all you can possibly choke down" data plan, and I have yet to go above 2GB of data per month, and that's doing everything that I want to do.  Even though I can stream as much as I want on the unlimited data plan, I find I really don't have that much to stream.  My data usually involves :

- Sending/Receiving emails

- Occasional web browsing on the metro to and from work

- Using Google Map to find something

Just remember you will use more data on LTE. Everything is just faster. I have speed tested as much as 50 mbs on the new iPad with LTE. Think twice as you will never get the unlimited data back. MHO

Other than what I listed above, I hardly ever stream something to my iPhone (mainly because the screen is too darn small to enjoy watching).  With so many free WiFi areas available these days (Starbucks, Panera Bread, Hotels...etc) you can still have "unlimited" with those free WiFi networks.

I think it's best, before you get all up in arms over what Verizon is doing with going away from Unlimited Data, to take a look at your account and see just how much data you actually use per month.  For those customers who want to keep their unlimited data plans, and actually need the unlimited data (See Desanman69's post), I think it's a good business model to allow them to buy a smartphone device at the full retail price. 

For me it, when it comes time to upgrade, I'll ditch my unlimited plan since I really don't need it.  I just happened to have it already and when I went to the Verizon iPhone it just followed over from my old phone (LG Dare).  Like I wrote earlier, I have never gone over 2GB of data in a pay period, so $30 for unlimited = $30 for 2GB of data.  Will I be bummed that I won't have that nice "unlimited buffer", absolutely...but is it a "I hate you Verizon and you're not my friend anymore" situation, by all means no! 

• Reply 27 of 28
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Works fine enough for me to stay a Verizon customer.  Sucks that I have to pay full price, to keep the exact rate plan I already have.. but atleast I get 4G/LTE speed.. on a proven network.. and still keep unlimited data.  Sprint may be truly unlimited.. but the unreliability of their network and the slow speeds in the DC area make it useless for me.  If Im going to pay for something, it should atleast work.

I currently pay $29 a month for unlimited data from Verizon.. w/free tethering thanks to jailbreaking.  If I were to pay Verizon straight out for this capability it would be atleast $20 more a month for a plan that includes tethering and I'd be capped at 5GB, with overage charges following any use above that.  Multiply that $20 x 24months and thats totals a $720 commitment just to have buy a cheaper non-subsidized phone that has a 5GB data limit.  VS paying for price for a phone (which is generally $300-400 more full price) and being completely unlimited.  It works out even better thanks to the high resale value of Apple iPhones.  If you pay $600 for an unlocked non-subsidized iPhone.. chances are you can sell it for $400 as long as its kept in great condition.  Making your actual iPhone purchase only about $200.

Not the greatest solution, but definitely an acceptable one.. considering it was thought to be MUCH worse.

• Reply 28 of 28
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Actually something else just occurred to me.  Since I purchased my iPhone4S (and millions of others) with Verizon in October last year, I'm still locked into a contract anyways.  If a new iPhone5 with 4G/LTE gets announced this year, then I would have to pay full price for it anyways.  My "available upgrade" would be effective until October 2013.