Class-action suit targets Apple for iCloud downtime

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

This is a free service - how can they sue over something that's free?

• Reply 42 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So was RIM sued for the THREE DAYS of downtime affecting ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of BlackBerry users?

No?

SHUT UP.

• Reply 43 of 124
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is getting absurd.

So unless someone can guarantee that their product or service is available every second of every day, they get sued?

Ridiculous.

I agree. unless you are paying for additional space, it's a free service.  It is completely normal for a new service to have some hiccups every once in a while.  Even after the service is operational, people have maintenance here and there, just like cable companies, dish networks, etc.

Trow this lawsuit out.

• Reply 44 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Because there are some law firms that troll for money because Apple has more than they do and instead of investing in Apple to make a profit, they just issue frivolous lawsuits.  This one is frivolous.

• Reply 45 of 124
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So was RIM sued for the THREE DAYS of downtime affecting ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of BlackBerry users?

No?

SHUT UP.

Yes they were sued, in more than one country as a matter of fact.

http://blogtalk.co.uk/?p=728

• Reply 46 of 124

Quote:

No?

SHUT UP.

being down for three days?  Could they make phone calls?  Or was it just affecting email?  Were RIM users paying for the service?

3 days is a lot, but Apple wasn't down for three days that I am aware of.  Maybe a couple of hours during the beginning until they got the kinks worked out, but that is to be expected. Heck, I would get outages with Surewest or whatever cable provider i was using because of maintenance issues, someone cut a cable, or whatever and it wasn't really that big of an issue.  The problem with these types of lawsuits is what happens to all of the unclaimed money since most people don't bother sending in the form to get their $5 check.

• Reply 47 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yes they were sued, in more than one country as a matter of fact.

http://blogtalk.co.uk/?p=728

Good! What became of that?

All I can find is that original story everywhere, and if I narrow the results down to by any amount of time, all I get from searching "RIM downtime lawsuit" is THIS story, TODAY, about APPLE. Adding '-Apple' to the search doesn't give any relevant results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

being down for three days?  Could they make phone calls?  Or was it just affecting email?  Were RIM users paying for the service?

E-mail, BBM, and browsers. And yes.

• Reply 48 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

*cough* Android, *cough*

• Reply 49 of 124
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    jragosta wrote: »
    This is getting absurd.
    So unless someone can guarantee that their product or service is available every second of every day, they get sued?
    Ridiculous.

If only that was possible, customers would have sued Microsoft out of existence decades ago.
  • Reply 50 of 124
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member

Shysters and idiots make a sick combination. They tie up resources that could be used for worthwhile projects.  

When will the courts force the losers to pay for their waste of court time and the costs incurred by the companies they attack.

• Reply 51 of 124
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's a definite turn off to new users.  

Where I work it's 98% Mac and always has been but out of the 500 or so users I deal with directly, only a small fraction were previously using Apple's mail services.  Now with the rise of iOS, there is a real advantage to using iCloud and I help someone move onto it at least once a week or so.  Most have got an AppleID or two over the years for one reason or another and merging these disparate ID's or creating a new one that can be merged with whatever they were using it's pretty much the number one question I get when we start talking about it.   

These people are dedicated Mac users for years, many from System 7 days, they are buying into Apple's iCloud as Apple wants them to, and yet they are begin screwed over (their words not mine) by Apple simply because they failed to see the wisdom years ago of having a .Mac account.  

I understand the engineering reasons behind not being able to merge accounts, but from the user level it's a a very real and large problem.  

In many cases Apple is giving the middle finger to some of their oldest customers here.  They generally take in in stride when they find out, but there's a golden opportunity being lost here.  Apple is losing the chance to treat their customers better than they are treated elsewhere, and to make sure that their core users are being taken care of. 

I simply don't know WTF this is all about.   "simply because they failed to see the wisdom years ago of having a .Mac account" immediately followed by "not being able to merge accounts".  Which is it"  They had accounts or not?

I have had a .Mac account since the free days, stayed a a paid subscriber, didn't change to Google because I didn't like Google's terms of service when GMail started and never wanted Hotmail, even less now on both.   I don't see the problems these people are claiming.  Apple was very forthright with multiple reminder emails during the transition and extended the MobileMe membership at no cost for a good length of time to ensure plenty of opportunity to transition.   I am not thrilled that iCloud/iWork integration is still horrid for the desktop, and I really don't like the loss of keychain syncing, but I'm not paying anymore, its a free service so I'll ask for changes but there's nothing to sue over.

I think the iWork thing will change with the next version released for OS X, I'm not sure we will ever get Keychain syncing back.  Still nothing to sue over since the paid service did a sunset with lots of notification and additional gratis membership time to do that transition.

• Reply 52 of 124

Quote:

Good! What became of that?

All I can find is that original story everywhere, and if I narrow the results down to by any amount of time, all I get from searching "RIM downtime lawsuit" is THIS story, TODAY, about APPLE. Adding '-Apple' to the search doesn't give any relevant results.

If it's similar to some of the Apple suits, it sometimes takes years for them to work thru the legal system. We just had a story about Psystar a day or two ago. How many years ago was that? The parents suing Apple over in-app purchases is just now getting to the courts and that's relatively old too. 

• Reply 53 of 124

I think anyone who is unhappy with their iCloud service should contact Apple and demand a full refund.

• Reply 54 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I still don't get why someone would want to create a second Apple ID anyway.  I've run into zero issues having the same Apple ID since the iTunes Store opened in 2003.

In my case I got an Apple ID when I became an Apple Dev using my business email as the ID. Later when I signed up for a .mac account I was issued a different ID. Whether or not I could have signed up for the .mac email using my existing ID, I do not know but it was not an option that I was aware of. In either case it was not an issue until the iTunes store came around. That is when I assigned a credit card to the .mac ID which happen to be the same card used for my dev account. What was worse, and not advisable is that I also used the same password. So long story longer, without really caring of even noticing I gathered purchases on both accounts, which still isn't a big problem, just annoying sometimes when you want to upgrade an app that is in the other account than the one you happened to be logged into.

• Reply 55 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    digital76 wrote: »
    I think anyone who is unhappy with their iCloud service should contact Apple and demand a full refund.

Apple's customer service is so good they'll probably give DOUBLE their money back.
  • Reply 56 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

He is converting to apple.. watch it.. soon he will be in denial  hehehe

Never.

• Reply 57 of 124
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member

It’s perfectly normal for any service to be down for some amount of time sometimes, somewhere. Unless service provider guarantees 100% uptime and even then if the service is free … how can you sue?

• Reply 58 of 124
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Never.

Yeah … That’s stage 1.

• Reply 59 of 124
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

The California Department of Fish and Game needs to start issuing "lawyer tags" to hunters. Their population is out of control and is having a negative affect on society. A controlled killed is the easiest way to thin the heard. image

-kpluck

• Reply 60 of 124
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I have yet to notice iCloud being down.
    lkrupp wrote: »
    We constantly read about this sort of thing on other cloud systems. CEOs apologize, users are angry and vent their frustrations in forums. All hell breaks loose.
    But only Apple gets sued over it.

There are lots of lawsuits against other internet companies. We don't hear about the others so much, but saying only Apple gets sued suggests a possible confirmation bias.

johnnash wrote: »

While the base service is included at no extra charge with several Apple products, extra capacity can be purchased.