Class-action suit targets Apple for iCloud downtime

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I am not a fan of Apple as many of you may know, but I'm behind them on this one because this is pretty lame for having a class action lawsuit on downtime.. I mean come on, every site has downtime. If this actually goes anywhere, hell I'll just sue every company whenever they have a downtime and I'll be rich in no time.. sheesh.

Then what the hell are you doing on an Apple centric web site? Living vicariously? Penis envy? What? Aren't there plenty of Android sites where you can not be a fan of Apple?
  • Reply 62 of 124
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    digital76 wrote: »
    I think anyone who is unhappy with their iCloud service should contact Apple and demand a full refund.

But iCloud is free. Oh wait, I get it now!
  • Reply 63 of 124

"Let me show how your petty aggravations can profit you..."  Joni Mitchell, The Three Great Stimulants from Dog Eat Dog

• Reply 64 of 124
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is getting absurd.

So unless someone can guarantee that their product or service is available every second of every day, they get sued?

Ridiculous.

Fairly common in the IT world to have a specific uptime that you are held accountable for although I doubt Apple would ever give you a figure i.e 99.999%. You can easily be sued for not adhering to an uptime.

• Reply 65 of 124
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member

100 bil in the bank = entitled wankers feel like they have some right to it.

With all that cash it would cost less to pay assassins, to kill all those loser money grabbing bastards, than lawyers.

• Reply 66 of 124
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Fairly common in the IT world to have a specific uptime that you are held accountable for although I doubt Apple would ever give you a figure i.e 99.999%. You can easily be sued for not adhering to an uptime.

Except that nowhere does Apple provide any service level guarantee so these tits are suing for something that no one promised them.

• Reply 67 of 124
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    fredaroony wrote: »

That much is true, but I understand those are pricey options geared towards large organizations. I don't think any of the consumer cloud services guarantee an up time.
  • Reply 68 of 124

Everyone should relax... the ability to sue corporations is the only thing that keeps the corporations honest. If the courts let this in, then it gets in. If it doesn't, well it wasn't worth talking about. Either way, this isn't impacting you negatively, so why whine about it?

• Reply 69 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fredaroony wrote: »

That applies when you have a contractual agreement as to uptime. All you have to do is show that Apple signed a contract guaranteeing uptime.

And then you have to show that the contract is valid - which might be questionable since there's no compensation.
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Then what the hell are you doing on an Apple centric web site? Living vicariously? Penis envy? What? Aren't there plenty of Android sites where you can not be a fan of Apple?

Careful. I asked that and got jumped on.
  • Reply 70 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That much is true, but I understand those are pricey options geared towards large organizations. I don't think any of the consumer cloud services guarantee an up time.

Not just large organizations, many ISP's give you a uptime for business grade ADSL links or VPS solutions. You dont have to always spend a lot of money to get a SLA.

Obviously Apple would never give a SLA for a service like this but I just wanted to point out it's a very common practice that you can be sued for if you don't provide what was specified.

• Reply 71 of 124
    apfeltoshapfeltosh Posts: 31member

Why is everyone surprised and shocked? This is what happens when you have $100 billion in cash in the bank. Payback!

• Reply 72 of 124
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

They should also sue God...

This has already been made into a movie:-

• Reply 73 of 124
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Karma is a bitch.

• Reply 74 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Karma is a bitch.

Did… Apple mock RIM when their servers went down?

• Reply 75 of 124
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    freerange wrote: »
    Danyelle Comer, who filed this suit, is obviously a frequent Comer as she is totally fk'd up.

Maybe someone fk'd the brains out of her skull!
  • Reply 76 of 124
    jbfromozjbfromoz Posts: 91member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

I simply don't know WTF this is all about.   "simply because they failed to see the wisdom years ago of having a .Mac account" immediately followed by "not being able to merge accounts".  Which is it"  They had accounts or not?

I have had a .Mac account since the free days, stayed a a paid subscriber, didn't change to Google because I didn't like Google's terms of service when GMail started and never wanted Hotmail, even less now on both.   I don't see the problems these people are claiming.  Apple was very forthright with multiple reminder emails during the transition and extended the MobileMe membership at no cost for a good length of time to ensure plenty of opportunity to transition.   I am not thrilled that iCloud/iWork integration is still horrid for the desktop, and I really don't like the loss of keychain syncing, but I'm not paying anymore, its a free service so I'll ask for changes but there's nothing to sue over.

I think the iWork thing will change with the next version released for OS X, I'm not sure we will ever get Keychain syncing back.  Still nothing to sue over since the paid service did a sunset with lots of notification and additional gratis membership time to do that transition.

We are faced with the issue presently where my wife's pre mobile me apple id account is unable to be merged with the family account that I set up under mobile me. when registering for her account we got the message that "that account name cannot be used, choose another name." as we were unable to login to it, and eventually figured it must have been that someone else had used that appleid to register a .mac account as we were unable to get further information on authenticating to that account. The earlier account was eventually recovered many years later, once we figured out that the postcode and email address used to create the account was different and got the account activated again, so wanted to regain use of the existing (originally desired) account name, however we have been unable to merge this and ended up purchasing on iTunes with the new account in her name. so now we have 2 accounts, one appleid  in the name she wanted to use, with earlier purchases on it, the other in the name she had to think up on the spot (containing numbers instead of letters etc) and is just harder to use and transfer to people by voice "yeah its this word, but then change the o's to 0's and the e's to 3's" all because we were unable to recall a password for a period of time, and with purchases on it also.

Yes we should have remembered our password in the first instance. Yes we should be happy that it's our fault, We are long term apple customers having purchased our first mac in 1986, working in the graphic arts industries etc for decades, promoting the cause, active evangelist members through the dark days, been full family membership paying members of mobile me, and just requesting it to be possibly to migrate our purchases onto the account we originally set up. 

Apple products make my life so much easier, and generally do "better" than everyone else. Not being able to migrate accounts is the one ongoing issue that I am unable to resolve for my wife, which of course makes me sad. 

That is one reason why someone might want to merge an apple id. I do not wish to sue apple.

Is it good enough? should I settle for just being able to use both accounts? it is clumsy, and very unlike my other interactions with apple products, so being that it is still in my face daily, quite disappointing really.

• Reply 77 of 124
    dave2012dave2012 Posts: 58member

I think Apple is creating problems for itself by making advertising claims like:

"Every document, every edit, everywhere"

and

"It just works"

Neither of which are true.

• Reply 78 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave2012 View Post

I think Apple is creating problems for itself by making advertising claims like:

"Every document, every edit, everywhere"

and

"It just works"

Neither of which are true.

Since the latter isn't an advertising claim, that leaves the first and your explanation for why it doesn't.

• Reply 79 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Since the latter isn't an advertising claim, that leaves the first and your explanation for why it doesn't.

Really?

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/documents.html

Every document, every edit, everywhere.

Apps make it possible to create amazing presentations, write reports, and more right on your iOS device. You don’t have to manage your documents in a complicated file system or remember to save your work. Your documents are just there, stored in your apps, and ready whenever you need them. And now your apps can store that information in iCloud. Which means you can access your documents — with your latest updates — on whichever device you happen to be using at the time. It all happens automatically, without any effort from you.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/what-is.html

What is iCloud?

iCloud stores your music, photos, documents, and more and wirelessly pushes them to all your devices. Automatic, effortless, and seamless — it just works.

• Reply 80 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Really?

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/documents.html

Yes, and I'm waiting for his explanation on why he believes it doesn't.

And I suppose people will be suing over this next:

See your QWERTY in lights.

Anyone can try to make a notebook that’s thin and light. Success comes in doing it without cutting corners. That’s why MacBook Air features a full-size keyboard, not a condensed version of what you’re used to. When you type on the MacBook Air, it’s just as comfortable as typing on a desktop keyboard. And now the keyboard is backlit, so you can type comfortably even in low-light conditions. A built-in sensor detects changes in the ambient lighting and adjusts the keyboard and display brightness automatically, giving you the perfect illumination in any environment.