Class-action suit targets Apple for iCloud downtime

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2704

Supported file formats include Keynote ’09, Pages ’09, Numbers ’09, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, TXT, CSV, and PDF.

I wouldn't call that supported list "any" document....

I see you didn't have a clever answer for the "it just works" link I posted which you claimed wasn't true.

• Reply 82 of 124
    cinemagiccinemagic Posts: 67member

Lawyers :(   The US legal system is a friggin joke.  Unfortunately, the joke is on us.

• Reply 83 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    Really?

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/documents.html

<span style="font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;font-size:1.1417em;font-weight:bold;line-height:1.4em;word-spacing:-1px;">Every document, every edit, everywhere.</span>

<p style="margin-bottom:18px;width:652px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:20px;word-spacing:-1px;">Apps make it possible to create amazing presentations, write reports, and more right on your iOS device. You don’t have to manage your documents in a complicated file system or remember to save your work. Your documents are just there, stored in your apps, and ready whenever you need them. And now your apps can store that information in iCloud. Which means you can access your documents — with your latest updates — on whichever device you happen to be using at the time. It all happens automatically, without any effort from you.</p>

http://www.apple.com/icloud/what-is.html

<h1 style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:5px;font-size:1.1417em;font-weight:bold;line-height:1.4em;font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;text-align:center;word-spacing:-1px;">whatis_title.png</h1>

<p class="intro" style="margin:15px auto 45px;color:rgb(136,136,136);font-size:1.4143em;line-height:1.35em;width:790px;font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;text-align:center;word-spacing:-1px;">iCloud stores your music, photos, documents, and more and wirelessly pushes them to all your devices. Automatic, effortless, and seamless — it just works.</p>

<p class="intro" style="margin:15px auto 45px;color:rgb(136,136,136);font-size:1.4143em;line-height:1.35em;width:790px;font-family:'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;text-align:center;word-spacing:-1px;"> </p>

OK. Which statement is false? I don't see anything there that says that the servers will never go down. I also don't see anything that says that there will never be a problem. "It just works" is vague enough as to be unenforceable.
  • Reply 84 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

OK. Which statement is false? I don't see anything there that says that the servers will never go down. I also don't see anything that says that there will never be a problem. "It just works" is vague enough as to be unenforceable.

I never said "It just works" was false, the other poster said it never existed.

Clearly the "every document" statement is not true.

• Reply 85 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I wouldn't call that supported list "any" document....

Them's the breaks. That's how the system works. Fine print is legal. Illegalize fine print (PLEASE) if you want that to be litigable.

Quote:

I see you didn't have a clever answer for the "it just works" link I posted which you claimed wasn't true.

No, I'd just already covered that it isn't a marketing term.

• Reply 86 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave2012 View Post

I think Apple is creating problems for itself by making advertising claims like:

"Every document, every edit, everywhere"

and

"It just works"

Neither of which are true.

I agree with you but the biggest mistake Apple is making is thinking they can sue everyone for everything. Good luck with that. Apple alone is a cash-rich powerhouse but taking on so many heavyhitters will only bring them down. Apple copied many other companies and so they reap what they sow now.

• Reply 87 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Them's the breaks. That's how the system works. Fine print is legal. Illegalize fine print (PLEASE) if you want that to be litigable.

No, I'd just already covered that it isn't a marketing term.

If that's all you can come back with then all I can say is LOL.

• Reply 88 of 124
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Never.

See, denial!!!  :)

• Reply 89 of 124
    dave2012dave2012 Posts: 58member

OK jragosta - you're right!

Quote:

"It just works" is vague enough as to be unenforceable.

'It just works' could mean it works - but only just! image

• Reply 90 of 124

Quote:

If that's all you can come back with then all I can say is LOL.

Prove me wrong, then, boyo! 

SUE.

See how far you get, since you're so confident you're right.

• Reply 91 of 124

Quote:

Prove me wrong, then, boyo! 

SUE.

See how far you get, since you're so confident you're right.

Keep these comments coming, at least they are good for a laugh!

• Reply 92 of 124
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member

Quote:

Keep these comments coming, at least they are good for a laugh!

So he’s wrong, you’re right, but you won’t sue, because you don’t want all that money right? That’s a laugh, a real one.

• Reply 93 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

So he’s wrong, you’re right, but you won’t sue, because you don’t want all that money right? That’s a laugh, a real one.

lol why would I sue? Just because of the ramblings of some keyboard warrior on the internet saying I should because they have no argument?

• Reply 94 of 124

Quote:

lol why would I sue? Just because of the ramblings of some keyboard warrior on the internet saying I should because they have no argument?

I'm confused now.

You claim it's advertising. You claim Apple has lied in this advertising. This lie would have harmed you had you purchased the machine based on that saying. And then you dismiss the idea of a lawsuit, despite these conditions being all that is necessary for one (and despite people having successfully sued other companies for far less).

Do you not think you have a case? It's no secret you hate Apple; why would you deny yourself the chance to show them how terrible they are, save if you didn't have a case?

And if you don't have a case, the question arises of why you don't believe you have a case. Which brings us back to what I've said.

• Reply 95 of 124

Quote:

I'm confused now.

You claim it's advertising. You claim Apple has lied in this advertising. This lie would have harmed you had you purchased the machine based on that saying. And then you dismiss the idea of a lawsuit, despite these conditions being all that is necessary for one (and despite people having successfully sued other companies for far less).

Do you not think you have a case? It's no secret you hate Apple; why would you deny yourself the chance to show them how terrible they are, save if you didn't have a case?

Doesn't matter to me at all as I don't even use iCloud. I was simply pointing out that you were wrong, which of course is very typical of many of your posts.

All your points on this subject have been wrong so far so keep going if you want champ.

• Reply 96 of 124

Quote:

Doesn't matter to me at all as I don't even use iCloud.

Ah, I see. So you don't care at all, therefore it doesn't matter at all, therefore your argument is moot, as you've no interest in being correct. You, by virtue of your position alone, are content with presenting your side and declaring yourself victor automatically.

Interesting way of living. Can't imagine it works very often. image

Quote:

I was simply pointing out that you were wrong…

Unfortunately, that's left to be seen and not for you to say. If you wish to prove me wrong, sue and win. Or at the very least get them to take down said wording. If there's another method for proving me wrong, I'm all ears.

• Reply 97 of 124

Quote:

Ah, I see. So you don't care at all, therefore it doesn't matter at all, therefore your argument is moot, as you've no interest in being correct. You, by virtue of your position alone, are content with presenting your side and declaring yourself victor automatically.

Interesting way of living. Can't imagine it works very often. image

Unfortunately, that's left to be seen and not for you to say. If you wish to prove me wrong, sue and win. Or at the very least get them to take down said wording. If there's another method for proving me wrong, I'm all ears.

Just as I thought...no valid argument, just white noise. Way to go buddy! imageimageimageimageimage

Argghh! I just realised you cannot block Mods in this forum!

• Reply 98 of 124
    gene9000gene9000 Posts: 3member
    As a long time PAYING MobileMe and dotMac user (family account), who migrated my family and myself to all Apple products over the years (computers, iPads, iPhones), expecting things like calendar and address book syncing to work properly, holding out with hope that things will grow to work properly, hoping that Apple would finally get it right with iCloud... It's been a huge disappointment.

It's not unreasonable, that when someone is buying into a service, they shouldn't have to spend hours or days manually deleting duplicate entries due to a bad sync for reasons beyond their control.

My dad, with his dotMac email address, shouldn't have to upgrade from his old non-iOS5 iPod touch in order to be able to continue to access his email. That I have to buy him a new iOS5 iPod Touch or iPhone so he can continue to access his dotMac email account via iCloud is a bunch of BS. When before has email been OS-dependent?

When a company markets their services as the greatest thing in the world, that you gotta have it, that "it just works" (which used to be the case for Apple products), and that it's an integral part of the apps and devices and the overall product that is being sold to the consumer, they better make sure it works. The user agreement is meaningless; a company could use it as an excuse for providing a pathetic level of service but they're then screwing the customer and eroding their reputation.

Apple has too much money and technical skill NOT to be able to get things right, this isn't rocket science.

And to those who say don't rely on a free service, what else is there in for Mac/iPhone/etc calendar and address book syncing? Should millions of people start running Lion server at home with their own Cal and address sync services? That would be idiotic, we don't need millions or billions of home server admins. Apple should just get their iCloud crap together, make it work flawlessly like it should, or stop marketing it as an asset of their hardware and their glorious Apple lifestyle.

The lawsuit is awesome, if it helps drive improved quality of data services it'll help drive the evolution of future products and services as well.
  • Reply 99 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene9000 View Post

And to those who say don't rely on a free service, what else is there in for Mac/iPhone/etc calendar and address book syncing? 

I use Gmail, Google Apps actually, and it works perfectly across all devices. You just have to set it up as an Exchange account.

• Reply 100 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene9000 View Post

It's not unreasonable, that when someone is buying into a service, they shouldn't have to spend hours or days manually deleting duplicate entries due to a bad sync for reasons beyond their control.

My dad, with his dotMac email address, shouldn't have to upgrade from his old non-iOS5 iPod touch in order to be able to continue to access his email. That I have to buy him a new iOS5 iPod Touch or iPhone so he can continue to access his dotMac email account via iCloud is a bunch of BS. When before has email been OS-dependent?

So input it manually.

I can get my iCloud mail on iPhone OS 3.1.3. Should work for Snow Leopard and anything else, too.

Quote:

The lawsuit is awesome, if it helps drive improved quality of data services it'll help drive the evolution of future products and services as well.

The lawsuit does little to address what you've said, beyond the few transition errors.