Steve Jobs biopic to begin filming in garage where Apple was born

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It was announced on Friday that the upcoming feature film "jOBS," which will chronicle the life of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, is set to begin principal photography in the original garage that was the humble home to what would one day become the world's most valuable tech company.

In an effort to be as accurate and authentic as possible, the early scenes of the film will be shot in Jobs' old Los Altos home and garage where he and Steve Wozniak put together the first Apple computer.

A Friday release from the movie's production company Five Star Feature Films said that production began immediately upon Jobs' retirement in 2011 and involved extensive research that included interviews with friends, co-workers and mentors.

Producers hope to create an accurate and rousing depiction of what they call the "30 most defining years" of Jobs' life in a film that is "dark, honest, and uncompromising."

Thus far, only the film's star Ashton Kutcher has been officially announced as being attached to the project, though it has been rumored that broadway actor Josh Gad from the "Book of Mormon" was approached to take the role of Wozniak.

Executive producer Mark Hulme said in April that he hopes to get the film completed in time for a fourth quarter 2012 release.

Director Joshua Michael Stern (Swing Vote) and Oscar-winning cinematographer Russell Carpenter (Titanic) will bring tasked with bringing the defining moments of Jobs' life to the small screen. The project is said to focus on the innovator's tumultuous years between 1971 and 2000.

jOBS
"jOBS" is set to start principal filming in June. | Source: TheJobsMovie.com

In an unrelated project, Sony is planning to make a major motion picture with its purchase of the movie rights to Walter Isaacson's best-selling authorized biography. The book will be adapted for the screen by acclaimed screenwriter Aaron Sorkin, who won an Academy Award for his work on The Social Network. It was reported on Thursday that Wozniak had been brought on as a "tutor", though it is unclear what duties that role entails. Sony has yet to announce a tentative release date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Producers hope to create an accurate and rousing depiction...of Jobs' life in a film that is "dark, honest, and uncompromising."

Hmmm...doesn't sound like Kutcher...

• Reply 2 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Idiotic formatting.

Idiotic title.

And "jOBS" isn't even in Myriad.

Where's the :no: emoticon when you need it… 

• Reply 3 of 40
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Im a holly wood producer.  I have lots of money and will do what I want.  Forget what the people think.  They just buy tickets to PAY FOR THE EFFIN MOVIE!

• Reply 4 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

So the movie with Kutcher is a made for tv movie now? That wasn't reported before. I thought that it was going to be an indie film.

I'll obviously be seeing both movies about Jobs, and I hope that at least one of them is decent, though I have some doubts about both of them, especially the one from Sony which is shaping up to be a Social Network clone, which sounds incredibly boring. They should update the Social Network movie to include today's failed IPO from Failbook. A lot of suckers got sucked into that one. :) Get ready for next week, and especially a week from now, because that's when shorting will be allowed.

• Reply 5 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Im a holly wood producer.  I have lots of money and will do what I want.  Forget what the people think.  They just buy tickets to PAY FOR THE EFFIN MOVIE!

"I don't care that these events took place years apart; they're in the same conversation now!"

"Fistfights with people doing the coding for the original Macintosh!"

"More drama! Have Jobs rape his girlfriend and THEN claim the child isn't his!"

• Reply 6 of 40
    fast fredfast fred Posts: 24member

Steve Jobs was about his art ....his products, the Apple and Pixar products he helped conceive. He himself was a reclusive, egotistical person that very few people liked.

I read the book , it was a hard read. I have and enduing admiration for him. I don't think a movie about his life will be very entertaining, because he wasn't a very nice guy.

• Reply 7 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post

Steve Jobs was about his art ....his products, the Apple and Pixar products he helped conceive. He himself was a reclusive, egotistical person that very few people liked.

I read the book , it was a hard read. I have and enduing admiration for him. I don't think a movie about his life will be very entertaining, because he wasn't a very nice guy.

Being nice is overrated, and it's not necessarily a good quality to have. Not that I'm comparing myself to Steve Jobs (I am most definitely not), but I'm not a nice guy either.

I also didn't find the book to be a hard read, I found it pretty informative and entertaining.

• Reply 8 of 40
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

I remember the founders of HP making fun of that garage.

• Reply 9 of 40
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member

"jOBS?" dUMB. I'm just gonna call it "jay obz" since that's what it looks like.

• Reply 10 of 40
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Idiotic formatting.

Idiotic title.

And "jOBS" isn't even in Myriad.

Where's the :no: emoticon when you need it… 

agreed, agreed, agreed. I love how now it is being hyped as a 'made for tv' movie where before they tried to make it come off as a feature. course in another 3 months we'll be talking about the mini-series as how can you really tell 20 years of life in 90 minutes. 

on the emoticon comment I refer to my (hopefully now visible) avatar

• Reply 11 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Look I simply don't believe Steve was born in a garage. Stable maybe, garage never.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    fast fred wrote: »

And Mark "I'm being sued for $600,000,000 by my best friend" Zuckerberg was?
  • Reply 13 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"I don't care that these events took place years apart; they're in the same conversation now!"

"Fistfights with people doing the coding for the original Macintosh!"

"More drama! Have Jobs rape his girlfriend and THEN claim the child isn't his!"

I laughed so hard at your reply.  My stomach started to hurt badly.  LOLOL.

• Reply 14 of 40
    mike fix wrote: »
    I remember the founders of HP making fun of that garage.

Yeah, now who's laughing...? Oh wait, not HP.
  • Reply 15 of 40

I honestly think a Mini Series would be better.  Perhaps on SYFY Channel.  And call it The Jobs of Mars.  The epic of Steve Jobs life on Mars.  Then every one will watch the first episode just because they will think its about steve going to mars.  Then the other two episodes will flop.

• Reply 16 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

on the emoticon comment I refer to my (hopefully now visible) avatar

I think we ought to enable them under our names like other sites have, you know?

Guess we should tighten up the other aspects of Huddler formatting first, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Look I simply don't believe Steve was born in a garage. Stable maybe, garage never.

The Three Swabjobs brought forth unto the child a mock turtleneck, Bob Dylan records, and a square of LSD…

(Jobs 7:14-16)

• Reply 17 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The garage of the home where Steve lived during his youth doesn't really have the same journalistic impact. I'm not sure a corporation can be born.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

Steve Jobs would not have approved of the lower case j the title reference a proper name. Also, now it is made for TV? I thought this was a indie flick for the theaters.

• Reply 19 of 40
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

That was funny

• Reply 20 of 40

The fact that Kutcher replaced Charlie Sheen, or tried to, on Two and a Half Men and that they want to use him in this movie shows unequivocally and without a doubt that Hollywood is clueless and doomed.