will logic pro 8 work on a poer mac g4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

Hi hope someone maybe able to help me I have just got a power mac g4 and want to get logic the version 9 is not compatable but I am still confused about logic pro 8.

I have enough ram and the operating system is compatable but it the logic pro 8 tec information says it needs a 1.25GHz processor (but does not say if thats duel or not) and my g4 only has a duel 1GHz processor.

sorry if i am asking a stupid question but not good at this sort of thing

thanks

jim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Then you're not going to be able to run it. You'll need a newer machine.

You can certainly TRY, of course. But I believe the software will stop itself from installing during the first load, so don't go out and buy it if you haven't already.

• Reply 2 of 5
    jim808jim808 Posts: 2member

thanks for your help i think a g5 will work have just found one second hand on line quite cheap but with no monitor do you know if  all macs use the same monitor conection ??

• Reply 3 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIM808 View Post

thanks for your help i think a g5 will work have just found one second hand on line quite cheap but with no monitor do you know if  all macs use the same monitor conection ??

Define 'cheap'… You REALLY do NOT want to be buying 7-9 year old computers. Let's see if we can't find you something that uses a modern architecture, shall we? I bet you could get an Intel Mac Mini (of considerably more power) for barely more than whatever these are going for.

And no, they don't use the same video-out connectors. G4s used VGA and ADC, G5s used ADC and DVI, and maybe VGA. Been so long I can't even remember… Good luck finding an ADC adapter these days.

• Reply 4 of 5
    jbanksjbanks Posts: 5member

no it wont - get at least the 1st generation intel mac.... no version of Logic will work unless its Intel.

• Reply 5 of 5
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbanks View Post

no it wont - get at least the 1st generation intel mac.... no version of Logic will work unless its Intel.

Yes it will. 

I am still running Logic Pro 8  on a PPC Quad G5 with Leopard image.   Admittedly an Intel Mac Mini could run rings around it, but PPC (even G4) will work with Logic Pro 7.2 and should also work with Logic Pro 8.x,  although don't expect stellar performance.

Logic Pro 9.0 was actually a Universal Binary but unsupported by Apple on PPC machines. I would'nt even try it.

I would also not recommend purchasing a G5 due to age and power usage. Get almost any Intel Mac and you can comfortably run Logic Pro 8.x or 9.x

Good Luck!