Class-action suit targets Apple for iCloud downtime

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member

Where's the place to sign up as a class who's tired of bogus class action lawsuits clogging our court system and is therefore banding together to take the serial offenders out?

Could be a fun kickstarter project.  Hmm......

• Reply 102 of 124
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habanero View Post

No one would go through the hassle and expense of hiring lawyers and filing if it was simply 

That's the problem - there's no expense, or at least not enough of one to prevent completely BS lawsuits like this one.  

It's a fishing expedition, pure and simple.

On another note, the new editor sucks.  It interferes with the built in spelling checker of my browser and is slower.  Sigh... progress....

• Reply 103 of 124

As an example .. I have two  .. not that initially wanted two but am glad I do ...

I initially opened an account with itunes .. i was using my yahoo email address at the time.  So there is 1 account.

I eventually started using .mac email account.  There is the second.  There was no way of combining them.

The benefit (I feel) is that I can (and have) changed the name of my itunes account.  I now have a somewhat random name for my itunes account.  I do not like using an email address as an ID.  Call me paranoid, but hackers are more likely to get an email list than a random name.  My original itunes account (with yahoo email address) was hacked a couple of years ago.  I considered it my fault for the incredibly easy password I had on it which had not changed since iTunes launched.  Since then, I was able to change the iTunes ID from my yahoo email to a different random name.  Of course, the password is considerably more cryptic as well.

g

• Reply 104 of 124
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    docno42 wrote: »
    On another note, the new editor sucks.  It interferes with the built in spelling checker of my browser and is slower.  Sigh... progress....

You'll get no argument from me. It's needlessly difficult and clumsy to use, and with no apparent justification.

I think SolipsismX has instructions in his signature on how to switch to a BBEdit style post editor.
  • Reply 105 of 124
    gene9000gene9000 Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I use Gmail, Google Apps actually, and it works perfectly across all devices. You just have to set it up as an Exchange account.

Yes (thanks), and I should have clarified because what I was getting at is that Apple (whether it was with dotMac, MobileMe and now iCloud) markets "automatic" and "effortless" syncing across "all your devices" in order to sell their devices and services (in the case of dotMac and MobileMe), so it should work as advertised.  And it's more than just email and address/calendar syncing, it's an identity and life practices method that I'd say most people don't want to be jumping around between different email accounts and services.  If people leave dotMac/MobileMe/iCloud for Google, that's a loss for Apple and a gain for Google and Android.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So input it manually.

I can get my iCloud mail on iPhone OS 3.1.3. Should work for Snow Leopard and anything else, too.

The lawsuit does little to address what you've said, beyond the few transition errors.

I should have clarified, the address book and calendar won't sync, so the old man will be getting a new iPhone (chi-ching for Apple - http://www.apple.com/icloud/).  And is there anything so significant about iCloud that Apple can't have it run on older OS's, or is it an excuse to push folks with money just to upgrade to an OS5-compatible device? 

And as far as lawsuits against Apple, I'm glad to see them, considering the extent that they sue others, falsely market their products and services, and fail to really listen to their customers.  When I spend $2000+ on a MacBook Pro, $900 on an iPad, $900+ on an iPhone (because I get them unlocked), and use to pay $150/year for MobileMe Family Pack, I expect my mac.com email, address book and calendar to work FLAWLESSLY, period, or "it just works" is just a bunch of BS.  People should have these expectations of the products and services they are purchasing, especially when its marketed as "automatic" and "effortless".

• Reply 106 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene9000 View Post

I should have clarified, the address book and calendar won't sync, so the old man will be getting a new iPhone (chi-ching for Apple - http://www.apple.com/icloud/).  

Again, just do it manually.

Quote:

…considering the extent that they sue others… 

Yeah, that's a completely wretched reason for your belief.

Quote:

…falsely market their products and services…

Once again, that's left to be seen. I hardly think it's the case.

Quote:

…and fail to really listen to their customers.

In what regard?

Quote:

When I spend $2000+ on a MacBook Pro, $900 on an iPad, $900+ on an iPhone (because I get them unlocked), and use to pay $150/year for MobileMe Family Pack, I expect my mac.com email, address book and calendar to work FLAWLESSLY, period, or "it just works" is just a bunch of BS.

Nothing works flawlessly. Your expectations are the legal definition of unreasonable.

Quote:

People should have these expectations of the products and services they are purchasing, especially when its marketed as "automatic" and "effortless".

But those are completely different ideas than "100% uptime".

• Reply 107 of 124
    kkostovkkostov Posts: 2member

Everyone that has ever tried to use the full potential of iCloud, should have seen by now that it doesn't work as advertised.

In the past few years Apple has been very good at advertising things to "Just work" and then covering it up really well when they don't.

For example, because I have changed iTunes Store countries in the past, the apps I downloaded from the previous country cannot be restored from iCloud Backup and cannot be updated via iTunes.

You see - there isn't really a SLA obligating Apple to do a good job - and that is why I am stuck with lame iTunes Support for 2 months now and the last statement I received was close to "that's the way it is, and it will stay this way for a while".

I've had almost every Apple product in my hands for the past 5 years and I see they are created to be loved.

This doesn't stop me to get my head out of my a*s and see that while adding some great new features and increasing revenue, Apple has been increasingly worse at taking care for their "Think Different" customers.

• Reply 108 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kkostov wrote: »
    Everyone that has ever tried to use the full potential of iCloud, should have seen by now that it doesn't work as advertised.

Really? What specific advertisement are you referring to and what evidence is there that iCloud doesn't work the way the ad says?

A bit of whining from the regular Apple haters doesn't count as evidence, btw.
  • Reply 109 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? What specific advertisement are you referring to and what evidence is there that iCloud doesn't work the way the ad says?

I'll grant them that until we get a true iDisk replacement, "every document" is misleading. I can't think of anything else offhand.

• Reply 110 of 124
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

I posted evidence earlier in this thread and it was actually Apple contradicating their own statements.

• Reply 111 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I'll grant them that until we get a true iDisk replacement, "every document" is misleading. I can't think of anything else offhand.

OK. That is correct. It is not possible to do it with 'every document'. But that's not what the law suit is about, so it's moot.

Furthermore, they still have the problem of proving damages when the service is free.
    fredaroony wrote: »
    I posted evidence earlier in this thread and it was actually Apple contradicating their own statements.

See above. The one about 'every document' is not true. But that's not covered by the lawsuit. Please show us specifically what Apple promised in the context of this lawsuit and then failed to deliver. And be specific - "it just works" is not something that you're going to win a case on.
  • Reply 112 of 124
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

See above. The one about 'every document' is not true. But that's not covered by the lawsuit. Please show us specifically what Apple promised in the context of this lawsuit and then failed to deliver. And be specific - "it just works" is not something that you're going to win a case on.

I wasn't saying it was in the law suit.

• Reply 113 of 124
    caldencalden Posts: 13member

Oh these lawsuits, this is really getting out of hand. What online content provider doesn't have it's fair share of problems. I wish there was some sort of fine that could be given to these people who come up with these law suits. This goes for company's to with their ridiculous patent suits, tired of it. By the way I'm not one to complain about a free site but this forum isn't really intuitive, to much complexity and doesn't really work well with an iPad, kind of funny but it works better on my Playbook, you guys might want to think about redoing it.

Do people really use iCloud for mission critical data, I use it for backing up my user data but there are much better services out there for online storage.

• Reply 114 of 124
    heenowheenow Posts: 9member

Although not mentioned in this article, the biggest iCloud problem I see is Lion is required.

That's made even more grating by the fact iCloud works with Vista.

That's absurd. A web-based service should, in Apple-speak, "just work".

• Reply 115 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by heenow View Post

Although not mentioned in this article, the biggest iCloud problem I see is Lion is required.

You can manually sync mail, contacts, and calendars in pre-Lion OS'.

• Reply 116 of 124
    kkostovkkostov Posts: 2member

Quote:

I don't need to address a specific ad - "It Just Works" is misleading enough - well - it DOESN'T "just work" at all.

There are multiple scenarios where neither iCloud backup, nor "seamless syncing" would work as expected.

This is not whining - I have already addressed multiple issues with support, filed in at least 8 bug reports but Apple finds it easier to ignore it.

This is not the place to debug the weird iCloud behavior. And I am not an Apple hater - just the opposite. But for an aggressive Apple "Lover" like you, I can say that when I open a call to Microsoft Support, I get developers on the phone within 8 HOURS. The "Very Good" (quoting Jobs) Apple Support failed to resolve my issues for 2 MONTHS!

Think about it - they say "we care" - and they probably do - but from a customer perspective like mine - I still cannot restore my iCloud backups - I don't care if they care - I want them to work towards getting iCloud to work - and not ignoring me.

• Reply 117 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkostov View Post

There are multiple scenarios where neither iCloud backup, nor "seamless syncing" would work as expected.

This is not whining - I have already addressed multiple issues with support, filed in at least 8 bug reports but Apple finds it easier to ignore it.

The "Very Good" (quoting Jobs) Apple Support failed to resolve my issues for 2 MONTHS!

…I want them to work towards getting iCloud to work - and not ignoring me.

First, Apple isn't ignoring you.

Second, your problem has to do with legal issues beyond Apple's control. I'm sure they're trying to work these out alongside their inability to merge iTunes accounts, so when we see the latter, we should see the former.

• Reply 118 of 124
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

This is getting absurd.

So unless someone can guarantee that their product or service is available every second of every day, they get sued?

Ridiculous.

They're not getting sued for the product not being perfect, but because of supposedly deceptive advertising tactics.  

For instance, a quote from their product description:

Quote:

Every document, every edit, everywhere.

Apps make it possible to create amazing presentations, write reports, and more right on your iOS device. You don’t have to manage your documents in a complicated file system or remember to save your work. Your documents are just there, stored in your apps, and ready whenever you need them. And now your apps can store that information in iCloud. Which means you can access your documents — with your latest updates — on whichever device you happen to be using at the time. It all happens automatically, without any effort from you.

Apple does set themselves up for lawsuits because of the way they advertise.  Other companies aren't getting sued over similar things because they present the user with a more realistic view of how their service works, which, incidentally, isn't as 'magical' as how Apple presents things.  And I'm not sure about US law, but many countries do have laws against deception in advertising.  

• Reply 119 of 124
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by heenow View Post

That's made even more grating by the fact iCloud works with Vista.

That's absurd. A web-based service should, in Apple-speak, "just work".

It does.  It is a free service and Apple tells you under which circumstances it just works.  That it does not just work for some OS product that was superseded before iCloud was made available is not the least bit surprising to anyone, let alone you.  You are just being intentionally antagonistic.   Just because one end is on the web doesn't mean the local end knows how to properly interact with the remote servers.

• Reply 120 of 124
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    [quote name="Tallest Skil" url="/t/150173/class-action-suit-targets-apple-for-icloud-downtime/40#post_2112801"]

Yes, and I'm waiting for his explanation on why he believes it doesn't.

And I suppose people will be suing over this next:

See your QWERTY in lights.

Anyone can try to make a notebook that’s thin and light. Success comes in doing it without cutting corners. That’s why MacBook Air features a full-size keyboard, not a condensed version of what you’re used to. When you type on the MacBook Air, it’s just as comfortable as typing on a desktop keyboard. And now the keyboard is backlit, so you can type comfortably even in low-light conditions. A built-in sensor detects changes in the ambient lighting and adjusts the keyboard and display brightness automatically, giving you [B][COLOR=000000]the perfect illumination in any environment.[/COLOR][/B]

Still not a big fan of the chicklet style keyboard though, their okay just no my favorite. The two best mobile keyboards from Apple, for me anyway were from the Powerbook 100 and the Powerbook 2400. I still have both machines to. I recently fired up the 100 and man that thing is nice to type on, still a great wordprocessor to. Nowadays though I would have to give the Thinkpad's the edge for mobile keyboards. Their X2XX series and TXX series have wonderfull keyboards, best in the industry. The HP 2510P also had a great keyboard, used one of those for a year back in 2007, now that was a good laptop, first one I ever owned that gave me true 9 hours of battery.