HTC phones held up by Apple's ITC injunction begin trickling into US

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
HTC smartphones that have been under review by U.S. Customs due to an Apple patent dispute have begun slowly trickling into America for consumers to purchase.

HTC has revealed that "some models" of smartphones have begun coming into the U.S. through customs review, as first noted by Engadget on Sunday. The handset maker declined to say which models had passed inspection.

"Some models have gone through inspection and been released to our carriers customers," the company said in an investor statement. It added: "We don't have the status of each specific device at this time. We remain confident that this issue will be resolved soon."

The details were provided in an "active clarification" regarding the inspection status of HTC products by U.S. customs. Under the review, each imported HTC model must be reviewed and will be released once officials have completed the inspection.

Word first surfaced last Wednesday that U.S. Customs was holding up the importation of HTC handsets until they could be fully reviewed. The action was taken in response to an injunction issued by the U.S. International Trade Commission over an Apple patent related to "data detectors."

HTC One X
HTC's One X smartphone

Apple's patent pertains to the automated detection of data such as phone numbers, e-mail addresses and hyperlinks among text. HTC announced late last year that it had already developed a workaround to avoid infringement, and it's believed the handsets currently under review at U.S. Customs have implemented that workaround.

Among the devices held up is HTC's One X smartphone, an Android-powered device featuring a 4.7-inch 720p high-definition display, and a 1.5-gigahertz dual-core processor, and LTE 4G high-speed data connectivity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... HTC announced late last year that it had already developed a workaround to avoid infringement ...

I don't think we will hear the last of this in that the workaround as described doesn't seem to really avoid the issue of data detectors and uses a definition of them that I'm pretty sure the courts didn't support.  They are assuming that the detection of the data and the resultant action have to be together for it to violate Apple's patent but a reading of the patent suggests (at least to me) that this isn't the case at all.  

It will be interesting to see what Apple thinks about the workaround. 

• Reply 2 of 41
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't think we will hear the last of this in that the workaround as described doesn't seem to really avoid the issue of data detectors and uses a definition of them that I'm pretty sure the courts didn't support.  They are assuming that the detection of the data and the resultant action have to be together for it to violate Apple's patent but a reading of the patent suggests (at least to me) that this isn't the case at all.  

It will be interesting to see what Apple thinks about the workaround. 

Do you have any link to the workaround? I am curious what HTC have come up with...

• Reply 3 of 41
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Do you have any link to the workaround? I am curious what HTC have come up with...

http://www.dailytech.com/HTC+Implements+Workaround+to+Apples+Patent+for+Evo+4G+LTE+One+X/article24709.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=feed

• Reply 4 of 41
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Curious to know if this is how US Customs usually conducts themselves. On face value, it doesn't sound very professional but I imagine there is much more to it.

• Reply 5 of 41
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Thanks, I had seen this before from the Verge but thought that there was some new information. I don't see how this is different from earlier Android versions; perhaps HTC have removed the ability to display the menu with options upon clicking on structured data altogether. On GB, once you select "use by default", you don't get the option menu any more (unless you go into the settings for the default app)...

• Reply 6 of 41
    fletchgfletchg Posts: 1member

I got the new HTC One X three days after it came out.  My contract with AT&T was up and well, HONESTLY... I was just getting tired of waiting on Apple for the next generation iPhone.  This HTC ONE X phone is AWESOME.  4.7 inch high res AMOLED screen.  Thin as hell.  Fast as hell.  Love it.  This is my second HTC phone.  Last model was the Aria.  But this one rocks.  And it comes with ICE CREAM android system too.

Apple has failed with their Apple TV - not having analog jacks for my super expensive stereo... and being really SLOW to MARKET with new products such as their phone.

They also don't provide back up DVDs/CDs or a back up USB drive.  I put in new hard drive in Macbook Pro and had to buy a $70 USB key from the apple store.  Hello.  This should have been FREE.  Apple is not providing a way to recover after incidents. 

• Reply 7 of 41
    Yay more malware for android losers.

[SIZE=4]Android Malware Quadruples Between 2011 And 2012[/SIZE]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/05/16/android-malware-quadruples-between-2011-an-2012/?partner=yahootix
  • Reply 8 of 41
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FletchG View Post

I got the new HTC One X three days after it came out.  My contract with AT&T was up and well, HONESTLY... I was just getting tired of waiting on Apple for the next generation iPhone.  This HTC ONE X phone is AWESOME.  4.7 inch high res AMOLED screen.  Thin as hell.  Fast as hell.  Love it.  This is my second HTC phone.  Last model was the Aria.  But this one rocks.  And it comes with ICE CREAM android system too.

Apple has failed with their Apple TV - not having analog jacks for my super expensive stereo... and being really SLOW to MARKET with new products such as their phone.

They also don't provide back up DVDs/CDs or a back up USB drive.  I put in new hard drive in Macbook Pro and had to buy a $70 USB key from the apple store.  Hello.  This should have been FREE.  Apple is not providing a way to recover after incidents. 

Products can come to market much faster when the analysis and design work, market testing and prototypes are done for them by someone else.  Wonder where HTC would be if they had to start from scratch.

• Reply 9 of 41
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Um all new macbook pros come with the ability to boot off the internet and reinstall osx lion directly from apple, if apple put the new hard drive in your macbook you would have this option by holding option on boot up. then you could boot and restore off the internet directly from apple.  The 70 dollar option is not necessary, you can also create your own bootable dvd very easily from the downloaded version of lion. Which will also install the os.  Just reinstalled lion off the internet on my sons 2011 mini worked flawlessly.

• Reply 10 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Um all new macbook pros come with the ability to boot off the internet and reinstall osx lion directly from apple, if apple put the new hard drive in your macbook you would have this option by holding option on boot up. then you could boot and restore off the internet directly from apple.  The 70 dollar option is not necessary, you can also create your own bootable dvd very easily from the downloaded version of lion. Which will also install the os.  Just reinstalled lion off the internet on my sons 2011 mini worked flawlessly.

How big is the download from the net though? I would much prefer to boot it off USB especially if you are in a place with a slow net connection

• Reply 11 of 41

From Apples lion recovery support page:

Lion Internet Recovery

If you happen to encounter a situation in which you cannot start from the Recovery HD, such as your hard drive stopped responding or you installed a new hard drive without Mac OS X installed, new Mac models introduced after public availability of OS X Lion automatically use the Lion Internet Recovery feature if the Recovery HD (Command-R method above) doesn't work. Lion Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's Servers. The system runs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to ensure there are no hardware issues.

Lion Internet Recovery presents a limited interface at first, with only the ability to select your preferred Wi-Fi network and, if needed, enter the WPA passphrase. Next, Lion Internet Recovery will download and start from a Recovery HD image. From there, you are offered all the same utilities and functions described above.

As with the Recovery HD, reinstallation of OS X Lion from Lion Internet Recovery requires an Internet connection. See "Supported network configurations and protocols" below. 

Some computers that did not ship with OS X Lion installed may have a software update available that allows them to use Lion Internet Recovery.

So like I said you could have booted from the internet and reinstalled lion.  Basically your mac boots over the internet of a lion recovery image on apples servers and installed lion from there instead of a local thumb drive or dvd image or a time machine image (by the way you can boot off of a time machine drive to and recover all of your stuff including restoring the os).

• Reply 12 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

How big is the download from the net though? I would much prefer to boot it off USB especially if you are in a place with a slow net connection

The download is a full lion install which is large about 3.2gig.  But you would avoid buying the $70.00 Recovery thumb drive from apple.  You could make your own recovery thumb drive for the cost of the drive, from the install image that you download off the app store very easily.  There are tons of sights that have how to's on making up an install dvd or thumb drive from the downloaded image.

• Reply 13 of 41
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member

Quote:

With about 10 sec research you have found the free option from April of 2011

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• Reply 14 of 41

How much this person is paid per HTC plug on these type of fanboy sites? Who take the time to CAP all the promotion points and brand names in a stupid comment section? slams Apple as too slow bring out new products then hits all the HTC company talking points to sell their hand sets.    Do yaz think we is stoopid?

• Reply 15 of 41

Quote:

I got the new HTC One X three days after it came out.  My contract with AT&T was up and well, HONESTLY... I was just getting tired of waiting on Apple for the next generation iPhone.  This HTC ONE X phone is AWESOME.  4.7 inch high res AMOLED screen.  Thin as hell.  Fast as hell.  Love it.  This is my second HTC phone.  Last model was the Aria.  But this one rocks.  And it comes with ICE CREAM android system too...!! 

How much this person is paid per HTC plug on these type of fanboy sites? Who take the time to CAP all the promotion points and brand names in a stupid comment section? slams Apple as too slow bring out new products then hits all the HTC company talking points to sell their hand sets.    Do yaz think we is stoopid?

• Reply 16 of 41
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HTC announced late last year that it had already developed a workaround to avoid infringement, and it's believed the handsets currently under review at U.S. Customs have implemented that workaround.

The real fix is to go with Windows Phone 7 / 8 for "closed."

Or Tizen for "open" (and Google adspam-free.)

Flip a coin, HTC.  How much longer can you stay in the smartphone business?  

Your CY Q1 profits were down 70% from the same quarter last year, and you're the world's #2 Android vendor.

Time for a change, no?

• Reply 17 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

HONESTLY... I was just getting tired of waiting on Apple for the next generation iPhone.

You weren't waiting at all. Anyone who has "waited" for so much as an hour would know Apple releases one phone a year. Period. The next iPhone isn't until October, so you've either no willpower or you weren't waiting.

Quote:

Apple has failed with their Apple TV - not having analog jacks for my super expensive stereo...

You'd think that, as expensive as your stereo is*, it would have modern connectivity. Funny, that.

Quote:

…and being really SLOW to MARKET with new products such as their phone.

Again, Apple releases one phone a year and gets 75% of the profits of the entire cell phone industry.

HTC and Friends release dozens of phones a year and make, well… whatever's left. Split between all of them. You do the math. image

Quote:

They also don't provide back up DVDs/CDs or a back up USB drive.

First because discs are archaic and dead, and second because why should Apple waste its time with that when you can pop in a $0.50 DVD and make your own copy? And make as many copies as you want!

Quote:

I put in new hard drive in Macbook Pro and had to buy a $70 USB key from the apple store.

No, you had to buy a $0.50 DVD in a spindle of discs and burn your own. Thanks for giving Apple extra money because you were lazy, though! I'm sure the shareholders among us here appreciate that.

Quote:

Hello.  This should have been FREE.

Again, it was. I only highlight it again because I find it funny. 

Quote:

Apple is not providing a way to recover after incidents. 

They do if you have the most recent Macs (no hard drive or disc required) and they do if you have ANY Mac (the burn your own disc solution).

*Disclaimer: I have no clue how expensive his stereo is, nor do I particularly care, it's simply the idea of it being expensive that allows this rebuttal.

• Reply 18 of 41
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member

Quote:

The Apple TV2 (and 3) don't have analog jacks because it doesn't have a built in DAC. It can only output a digital audio stream. Either by toslink or through the HDMI cable. The HDMI TV you have hooked up to the Apple TV2 has a  DAC to convert the digital audio steam to analog. Unless you have an outboard DAC, you need to use the audio output from your TV (headphone jack will work) to get the analog audio output that your "super expensive stereo" requires. But this doesn't get you Digital Dolby, only Prologic Dolby. That's if your "stereo" can output 5.1 channel surround sound. Otherwise it may be time to upgrade your "super expensive stereo".   

• Reply 19 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

The Apple TV2 (and 3) don't have analog jacks because it doesn't have a built in DAC. It can only output a digital audio stream. Either by toslink or through the HDMI cable. The HDMI TV you have hooked up to the Apple TV2 has a  DAC to convert the digital audio steam to analog. Unless you have an outboard DAC, you need to use the audio output from your TV (headphone jack will work) to get the analog audio output that your "super expensive stereo" requires. But this doesn't get you Digital Dolby, only Prologic Dolby. That's if your "stereo" can output 5.1 channel surround sound. Otherwise it may be time to upgrade your "super expensive stereo".   

Edit, I was wrong about the missing optical out.

• Reply 20 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You'd think that, as expensive as your stereo is*, it would have modern connectivity. Funny, that.

Disclaimer: I have no clue how expensive his stereo is, nor do I particularly care, it's simply the idea of it being expensive that allows this rebuttal.

The AppleTV has optical audio. You'd think a modern and high-end stereo system would also have optical audio.