Filing details Apple's plans for Retina-ready resolution-independent OS X

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Bingo. File should be vector, the rendered and cached as bitmaps as needed for x resolution. I'm sure Apple is on it.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    alansky wrote: »
    The article does not explicitly mention OS X text when it talks about "a plurality of attributes for graphical user interface objects". Presumably, all OS X text, icons and other graphic elements would be similarly resized on the fly to accommodate a higher-resolution screen. All I can say is that I've been waiting for resolution-independent type since the early 90's, so it's about time!

Correct me but it doesn't resize on the fly, or at least it needs a "seed" of several bitmaps as of different sizes per icon. Fonts on the other hand are very flexible, it's the scaling that's not implemented. That is 10pt on 11" shouldn't be "10pt" on a 27".
  • Reply 23 of 28
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Correct me but it doesn't resize on the fly, or at least it needs a "seed" of several bitmaps as of different sizes per icon. Fonts on the other hand are very flexible, it's the scaling that's not implemented. That is 10pt on 11" shouldn't be "10pt" on a 27".

The fonts are TrueType vector objects which are inherently resolution-independent.

• Reply 24 of 28
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Well, having bought iMovie and found that it couldn't see movie files on the SD card I took out of my Sony camcorder, I certainly thought it was either restrictive, or shite, depending on your point of view.

Still, only $5, if you don't like it you don't have to buy Apple, etc. etc.

Use Reel Director to convert the file.

• Reply 25 of 28
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by habi View Post

If your clueless to what im refering to plase do the folowing simple os X task on your ipad:

1. Take good pictures of a product (yes with a good SLR CAMERA = not ipad)

2. Edit pictures eg. put and a watermark on them

3. upload them to your site

4. not use a PC nor Mac os X machine for this SIMPLE task...

Extremely easy to accomplish. I guess you look foolish now.

Or another one...

Attach a archive of your last years articles from your ipad favorite "file manager" (ifile doesnt count)

Illiterately written, so I can't really say without some clarification.

• Reply 26 of 28
    thomaskthomask Posts: 3member
    Funny with fanboys like you challenging the fact that iOS is locked down to the point of crippling reasonable usage.

No, you can't accomplish what those users said. Moving files on/off iPad - without hacking it - is awkward and involves clod (aka cloud) storage.

Look, I have a bunch iOS equipment - phones, iPad, iTV - but that doesn't mean that I'm not (painfully) aware of the (intentional) shortcomings.

The deliberate crippling by Apply is frustrating - iOS is not insanely great - even if it could be.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Funny with fanboys like you challenging the fact that iOS is locked down to the point of crippling reasonable usage.

No, you can't accomplish what those users said. Moving files on/off iPad - without hacking it - is awkward and involves clod (aka cloud) storage.

Look, I have a bunch iOS equipment - phones, iPad, iTV - but that doesn't mean that I'm not (painfully) aware of the (intentional) shortcomings.

The deliberate crippling by Apply is frustrating - iOS is not insanely great - even if it could be.
  • Reply 28 of 28