Purported Apple iPhone 5 cases again suggest hardware redesign

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uberfoto View Post

Quit posting cases obviously made for the iPod Touch and claiming they're for the iPhone 5.

Feels like AI is just trying to drive more clicks and traffic by labeling it as iPhone 5 related.

Great 1st post.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

I still maintain my theory:

iPhone 4 and 3GS will be discontinued. Apple would make too much off of the $99 iPhone over the next year and for that price point, they can give it some more balls. The $99 iPhone will be an iPhone 4S.

The new top of the line iPhone will be a redesigned iPhone 5. iPhone 5's larger screen will match up proportionally with the 2012 iPad which will be of higher resolution but the same screen size.

Since Lion launched, Apple will want to give consumers a new hardware refresh on most of their product lines to go with their great software.

iPod gets updated, but what could you really do? Add 3G as an option, like it is with an iPad. They won't want to diminish the iPhone 5 design by applying it to the iPod just yet, so look for the iPod to resemble what it currently is, but along the lines of the iPhone 4S.

It won't really diminish sales. Instead it will act as a gateway device ramping up kids, teens, and young people who don't have the want or capability to buy a full-fledged iPhone with a 2 year contract. This would just add more and more people the Apple bandwagon. The profits, and long term profits would more than make up for a few short term sales.

Really think about it instead of just mouthing of your nonsense.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    meh, it's just a shrunken-down iPad. Nobody will buy these.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I could see the current 3.5" Touch and iPhone along with a new 4" Touch and iPhone. The Touch with cellular chips and the iPhone with true "world mode" chips.

I dislike the phrase "true world mode chips". The GSM iPhone is a world phone, and now they're rumoured to be adding a "US chip" to handle Verizon (& China Mobile). I'll be able to buy a phone in Australia that also works on US-Verizon! (and they call that a "World Phone"?).

Quote:

iPhone 4 and 3GS will be discontinued. <snip>The $99 iPhone will be an iPhone 4S.<snip>

iPod gets updated, but what could you really do? Add 3G as an option, like it is with an iPad. They won't want to diminish the iPhone 5 design by applying it to the iPod just yet, so look for the iPod to resemble what it currently is, but along the lines of the iPhone 4S.

Well, they could rename the iPod Touch to "iPad Nano", give it a similar backing - and call the old iPod Nano simply "iPod". I wonder if that would be confusing.

Then you add the option of 3G to the iPad Nano.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

Question to the gallery: Why would Apple give the iPod Touch 3G capability? If they did that, it would have the same internals as an iPhone - it essentially would BE just another iPhone model. The iPad is a different form factor, so it makes sense to have data only 3G options there.

Good question. Of course iCloud would be useful.. but that doesn't change your point - why add 3G to the iPod Touch when it'll almost be an iPhone?
    • The 3G chip in the iPad costs under $20, but Apple charged $130 for the feature. This allowed them to sell the $499 iPad (with little to no profit) and make their money on the upscaled versions. People are willing to pay more for the better ones even though they don't cost Apple that much more.

• Similary, Apple makes much less on the iPod Touch than the iPhone already. Apple was forced to do that because people don't realise that the "$199" iPhone 4 is actually "$599 plus subsidy". So they have an entry level iPod Touch with less profit, but people are willing to get the better iPhone.

So adding 3G to the iPod Touch doesn't cost much, and can be sold just like iPods are now without contract. They can still charge very little for this device while charging hundreds more for the iPhone (and the iPhone on subsidy will look to be cheaper anyway).

Apple wants a "cheap iPhone" then perhaps the iPod Touch is how they have to approach it. They add 3G, they keep a low-res (cheaper) screen. And perhaps they make a version $100 more that has phone capabilities as their low end phone (available free on a plan too).

AND THEN they also have the real iPhone 5?
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

I don't like a curved back at all. It makes the device hard to hold. The best thing about the iPhone 4 is that it's easy to pick up and hold, and without causing accidental input on the touch screen.

uh uh.... I remember many people saying the exact opposite when Apple went to the iPhone 4 form factor.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I dislike the phrase "true world mode chips". The GSM iPhone is a world phone, and now they're rumoured to be adding a "US chip" to handle Verizon (& China Mobile). I'll be able to buy a phone in Australia that also works on US-Verizon! (and they call that a "World Phone"?).

I dislike calling phones that have a CDMA(2G)/CDMA2000(3G), GSM(2G), and single UMTS(3G) band for Europe a world mode phone. Claiming that because GSM(2G) is in every major country isn't good enough in 2011. For it to be a true world mode phone that includes CDMA/CDMA200 chips you need to have more than ONE UMTS band. The GSM-based iPhone 4 has penta-band UMTS. There is no world mode phone I've seen that has more than 2 UMTS bands and none of them are bands that work in N. America.

Quote:

The 3G chip in the iPad costs under $20...

Can you back up the claim that the HW and SW R&D, manufacturing, licensing et al. cost under $20?
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Just playing with prices and positions:

So the current prices:
    • (Touch 8GB - $229)

• Touch 32GB - $299

• iPhone 16GB - $599

• iPad 16GB 3G - $629

And as a basic rule - add $100 to double the memory.

I think they could add 3G to all the iPod Touch models and keep their cheaper prices, and make the cheap iPhone based on that iPod Touch too (identical, just add a phone speaker for $100 more). Then iPads would lose their non-3G versions and drop price too.

So without subsidy:
    • Touch 16GB 3G - $229

• iPhone4S 16GB - $329 (identical to iPod Touch, just adding 'phone')

• iPad 16GB 3G - $529

• iPhone5 32GB - $599 - retina display, same price as iPhone4 16GB

Of course with subsidies things get interesting. You get your base iPhone5 32GB for $199 on the standard AT&T plan just like now - or an iPhone4S 16GB for free AND on a slightly cheaper AT&T plan.

As I said just playing with pricing.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can you back up the claim that the HW and SW R&D, manufacturing, licensing et al. cost under $20?

No of course not. Could anyone?

But I think it's a straw man argument (not an obvious one though).

(though I do think that price ignores the 3G antenna entirely).

(edit: I think strawman is the wrong description - just that the hardware-pieces costs aren't at all proportional to the manufacturing & R&D costs)

By that I mean that I agree that the studies which say the iPhone only costs $200 (or whatever) entirely ignore the R&D and manufacturing - it's absolute insanity to think that those costs aren't HUGE. (and possibly why so many companies think they can have cheap R&D into usability etc and then wonder why Apple does better than them).

As an example - we know that a 32GB chip isn't $100 more than a 16GB chip. That's not something caused by manufacturing or R&D costs. In fact, I think Apple bases it's profit goals on the 32GB 3G iPad model, and offers the cheaper iPads at a lower profit to get people in the door (so playing with that balance is dangerous! )

If Apple is designing an iPhone 4S as a base model (BIG IF), then it may turn out that the new iPod Touch is almost identical - just removing the speaker. Even being similar, I'd expect Apple to make the version with a phone at least $100 more.

Of course when it comes down to it - YES I'm thinking the manufacturing of an iPad 3G vs an iPad no-3G are very similar costs - though with a few differences. That's not ignoring that manufacturing & R&D on BOTH was expensive to start with.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Here's what Apple may have issues with. I plan on buying the new iPhone, and I offered my iPhone4 to my brother potentially, but when he found out there may be a 'cheaper' iPhone4, he said, oh well I'd definitely want yours, I mean, the iPhone4 is cool because of what it is, who's going to want a dumbed down one? I mean, won't actual iPhone 4's then be better then the new iPhone 4s and sell on the black market for potentially more?
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

meh, it's just a shrunken-down iPad. Nobody will buy these.

Hilarious!
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If you look into the numbers, there really aren't that many people at all who would like the bigger screen or are asking for it. It's primarily a USA-only phenomenon.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but personally I STRONGLY hope they don't change the screen size. The size of the iPhone screen is perfect to me, and I think a larger screen would just make it look more gimmicky like all the other phones out there.

Plus, there are already how many millions of apps designed for the current screen? Seems like a nightmare to all of a sudden introduce a new screen size into the mix. Remember how long it took developers to all make retina-display-resolution graphics? Oh right, there are still a ton of apps that aren't retina-display-ready. I can't imagine it would be a fun experience if 95% my apps on my new iPhone 5 ran with black borders or ugly interpolated graphics on launch day. This is something they'd need to warn developers of months before a change, and they haven't done so, as far as I'm aware. I think we would've heard of it.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:

iPhone 4 and 3GS will be discontinued. Apple would make too much off of the $99 iPhone over the next year and for that price point, they can give it some more balls. The $99 iPhone will be an iPhone 4S.

The new top of the line iPhone will be a redesigned iPhone 5. iPhone 5's larger screen will match up proportionally with the 2012 iPad which will be of higher resolution but the same screen size.

Since Lion launched, Apple will want to give consumers a new hardware refresh on most of their product lines to go with their great software.

I have thought about this as well. I'm wondering if Apple is just having issues running ios 5 on the 3GS, and want to get rid of that as an option for future upgrades after giving those users a 'base' ios 5.

Having an iphone 3G (from 08/08/08), I'm pretty much locked out of updates until I upgrade. Maybe it will be on 11/11/11?

On all these cases, I have also noticed that it appears to be tapered. I'm not really sure what advantage this would have on a iphone.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    I stopped carrying about iPhone 5 rumors back in June when it didn't come out then. I'll wait until it's announced.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Nobody will buy these.

Oh no you didn't just say that! what a clown.

How about you give me 1 cent for every one sold.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

There is no $99 iPhone, thats an on contract price with a particular plan on a particular carrier in one country.

The 3GS will stay. iOS 5 runs fine on it. As usual Apple watchers believe that Apple will always do what they did the year before. Last year they brought out the iPhone 4 in July and discontinued the iPhone 3G. This year, despite the difference of being late to introduce the new phone, they are assumed to discontinue the 3GS. But the 3GS is not a dog like the 3G. It is not much slower than the iPhone 4. It just doesn't have the retina display ( and the IP 4 was introduced as a new form factor not as a speedy model). So the 3GS has wings. I think they will sell it off contract at $250.

I suspect

iPhone 5 - new design and camera, and screen size.

iPhone 4S - old design and new chip

iPhone 4 - kept and sold at a lower price point (only 8G)

iPhone 3GS - kept and sole at an even lower price point (only 86)

iPod 3G - new chips in some models, entry range device for using the internet. you can use iMessage to communicate to other's. Voice would be skype. This by pases the concerns of carriers.

Do that - and very little of it requires re-tooling - and Apple will sell 200M+ iDevices next year.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Oh no you didn't just say that! what a clown.

How about you give me 1 cent for every one sold.

You're the clown.

You failed to make the connection between this post (humor) and the actual people who said the iPad was nothing more than a "giant iPod touch".
  • Reply 57 of 61

This side by side with the iPhone 4. Man that thing is going to be thin http://www.casesiphone5.com/concept-iphone-5-case-slim/

• Reply 58 of 61

Sorry didnt mean to post twice

• Reply 59 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesar Bielich View Post

Sorry didnt mean to post twice

Or in a year-old thread with a year-old, disproven image, I imagine.

• Reply 60 of 61
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How do we know this case isn't destined for a future iPod Touch instead?

Same question we asked last year. And it has the same answer. We don't know, can't know, and like last year the odds are the same either way

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

or data + voice.

That's called an iPhone. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

The iPod Touch does not have a headphone jack on top (the Touch's is on the bottom).

The iPod Touch does not have a silent switch. These cases have switch on the right hand side. (If I'm not mistaken, only the iPad has a right-hand switch).

Just because Apple isn't doing it this way on the Touch now doesn't mean they couldn't change it. Try to bring the lineup in line etc. After all it is curious that they didn't do anything other than add another color to the Touch last year. A move like that generally signals killing something off or getting ready to totally change it up but something on the supply side wasn't quite ready so they aren't announcing yet. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

I had a friend a couple of years ago who was using an iPhone with voice-only. They somehow detected that his device was an iPhone and forced him to buy a data plan in order to use the iPhone on the network. I read on a forum just the other day (it may have been AI) that someone was forced to buy the minimum voice plan in order to get a data plan for the iPhone. Both of these were with AT&T. I don't know if these experiences are commonplace, but I do seem to remember AT&T announcing they would require a data plan in order to use a smartphone on the network.

That is all likely correct. When you buy an iPhone and when you sign up for ATT service you agree to certain rules including the mandatory voice and mandatory data plans on smart phones and that if you are caught trying to be cute and avoid either one, ATT has the right to force you to change and start paying. 

The only way around either of this is the voice plan which you can have voided as a requirement if you submit documentation that you are vocal or hearing impaired and can't use the voice plan. They will then adjust your records to reflect this condition and as part of their ADA compliance you are exempt from that plan. Otherwise, you are required to have them. 

I'm hoping that ATT goes with the shared data idea because I really don't do much data stuff on my iPhone, that's what my iPad is for. I would love to be able to share one plan between them and thus 'avoid' having to pay again for data on my iPhone just for a few random out of wifi iMessages when i'm too lazy to pull out the pad. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

So much time has gone by since OS 5 features were discussed at Apples last event, I have forgotten what they were. How much longer before there is a new phone?

What??? iOS 5 was discussed at WWDC 2011 and released with the iPhone 4s (aka 5th Gen) in Oct 2011. That was less than a year ago. iOS 6 is expected to be discussed next month at WWDC 2012 and released with the iPhone (6th Gen) in Sept/Oct 2012, approximately one year after the last release. 

how the snot is that waiting too long.