iOS developers not concerned about Apple making a larger iPhone screen

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by calden View Post

This is great news, 4+ inches. I recently purchased an iPhone 4s to replace my missing Samsung S2. After playing with it for about a week now I returned it today. My biggest complaint, the screen was; way, way to small. I'm not sure if any of you read my first post but I also missed having a file manager and a MiniSD card. I took the leap and installed Jail Break, big, big difference, if you own a iPhone and haven't done it yet, do it. Without it the iPhone for me anyway was really unusable. Anyway I found a program called iFile which was a big help, not very feature reach or even close to the quality of file managers that are available on Android for instance FX File-Manager but enough to appease me. I also was able to install Midnight Commander which is way awesome. Anyway, So I decided to wait for the new one, I bought a used LG Optimus 7 for 50 dollars off of Ebay as an interim phone. I'm not sure why I bought the iPhone 4s in the first place, I knew when I was playing with it at the Apple store that I thought it was way to small for my needs but all of my friends had one and swore by them. There was a guy on here, I think Tallest something, he was right all I needed was some time with it to get to like it. I really do like the interface, it's quick, pretty, great apps albeit expensive compared to Android, actually twice the price for a lot of the apps, I think I already spent something like 80 bucks on the same apps that cost me less then half then that on Android. I can live with that though for a stable system which was my biggest gripe with Android, and battery life, no problem. Android I still think is a lot more feature rich but you pay a price for that in stability. I will defiantly pick up the new iPhone 5 when it comes out, that's if the rumors are true, 4 inches baby come on. Sorry if I sound snooty, I've read a lot of your posts and most of you are pretty militant when it comes to people having a negative opinion towards the iPhone. Well I don't have a negative attitude it's just different, I've owned Mac computers for a long time. The iPhone 4s though was my first phone from them and I wasn't to impressed but I have no doubt with a larger screen and the new iOS6 I will be a content person. Still wish they would give us a MiniSD card though, I own like 12 cards now, ranging from 16GB to 64GB. What the heck am I going to do with them all.

I want everyone to note that I restrained myself from telling him what to do with his miniSD cards.

• Reply 62 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I want everyone to note that I restrained myself from telling him what to do with his miniSD cards.

I'll add to that by noting that I restrained myself from my usual point-by-point teardown, but I appreciate the tip of the hat mid-post, anyway! 

• Reply 63 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, what's the number?

One, would be "a developer."

Two, would be "a couple developers."

Three, would be "a few developers."

Four, would be "some developers."

Five to nine, would be "a number of developers."

We then go through several more steps before we get to calling each developer out by profession as Steve Ballmer once did.

• Reply 64 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    quinney wrote: »

I'm surprised you read that whole compressed diatribe. Machine code would have been only slightly more difficult to read.
  • Reply 65 of 98
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

deleted the text here because this stupid editor, as far I can see, doesn't have a way to delete a post you made in error.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

Quote: Sierrajeff said:

Take a look at this for a good example - the KTVU (Bay Area channel 2) News app.  In their intro screen, about 50% of the space it taken up with the app name banner, an ad, fixed banner bars ("top news", "local news", etc), and navigation bar.  Even in a story, significant space is taken up by the navigation and top banners.  Moving these to a "dedicated" banner spot would free up a lot of space for actual scrolling and reading.

< image snipped>

Well, frankly, I would not buy or use an apps designed that way even if it was free and useful. It's just an app example of a very poorly designed app. Nothing more.

• Reply 67 of 98
    caldencalden Posts: 13member

Quote:

Well I'll tell you what, you can have them if you'll do what you wanted me to do with them. No reason to get emotional over pieces metal and wires partner. Everyone has their one personal preferences and it's great that you don't need external storage but some of us thinks it's a pretty handy feature especially when you use the phone as a storage device. I guess it doesn't matter as the iPhone doesn't support mounting the device as a normal storage device when connected to a computer. So I can live with out it. I'll just buy one of those new 128GB USB drives. I've been eyeing one for a while now.

• Reply 68 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm surprised you read that whole compressed diatribe. Machine code would have been only slightly more difficult to read.

Wow, okay then. You didn't ask for me to clarify, don't care. I said something negative against Apple and that's it, I've been written off. Yea, I'm sorry but you can have this forum sir, I will delete my membership. You know I was really excited to find Appleinsider but your response as a Senior person here wasn't very nice. I'm not going to fight you as I have read a lot of your posts and you are just a very nasty person. You also spend way to much time hear so I think it will better if I just go. Goodbye.

• Reply 69 of 98
    calden wrote: »
    Wow, okay then. You didn't ask for me to clarify, don't care. I said something negative against Apple and that's it, I've been written off. Yea, I'm sorry but you can have this forum sir, I will delete my membership. You know I was really excited to find Appleinsider but your response as a Senior person here wasn't very nice. I'm not going to fight you as I have read a lot of your posts and you are just a very nasty person. You also spend way to much time hear so I think it will better if I just go. Goodbye.

I have no idea what you wrote in your previous statement — save for the bolded part added by Quinney — I only know that it was not formatted in a way that would make it pleasant to read so I passed it by. Paragraphs exist for a reason.

Most writing is done is to communicate to someone else. For this reason it behooves the writer to present their words and ideas in a way that makes them easy to read and above all makes them easy to understand. You do yourself a disservice when you don't at least strive for making your point as clear as possible.

I certainly don't agree with the MiniSD card but that doesn't mean you don't have other ideas I might agree with or ideas that I only agree with because you've made such an elegant and convincing case. Unfortunately I will not read your 500 word paragraph so I will not know if you did have something worthwhile to share with me.

As for this "Senior person" comment the number of comments you've made mean nothing, what matters is the quality of your comments. The wonderful thing about internet forums is that regardless of appearance, age, gender, et al. You are judged solely on your words. Your identity is only what you publish.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Well I'll tell you what, you can have them if you'll do what you wanted me to do with them. No reason to get emotional over pieces metal and wires partner. Everyone has their one personal preferences and it's great that you don't need external storage but some of us thinks it's a pretty handy feature especially when you use the phone as a storage device. I guess it doesn't matter as the iPhone doesn't support mounting the device as a normal storage device when connected to a computer. So I can live with out it. I'll just buy one of those new 128GB USB drives. I've been eyeing one for a while now.

There's are now wireless drives you can use, I think Seagate makes a 500GB version which isnt to exspensive. I to have asked many times as to why Apple doesnt include a MiniSD slot but the only response you'll get here is buy a model that holds more. You mentioned that you Jail Broke your device, you can then also use the photo adapter as a normal SD card now. Yes it does mean that a plastic thing will stick out a little but it's better then nothing. I it use with my iPad and it works well enough, Make sure to use fast cards though, class 10 I noticed a lot of lag with class 4 and 6.
  • Reply 71 of 98
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Just use your return button after every 4 to 6 sentences. Yea there are a few members who are a little aggresive, I find it charming how much they love something that doesn't love them back. Stick around, this forum is full of usefull articles and info, not everone is like Solip. here, he just needs a big hug.
  • Reply 72 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Just use your return button after every 4 to 6 sentences. Yea there are a few members who are a little aggresive, I find it charming how much they love something that doesn't love them back. Stick around, this forum is full of use full articles and info, not everyone is like Solip. here, he just needs a big hug.

It's just hard to find a forum where it's not populated by extremist, your either a iPhone guy or an Android guy. They never have any room for both it must be one or the other. It's okay that SolipsismX doesn't think MiniSD cards are useful, Apple doesn't use it so it's only logical that it must not be important, I get that. I do the same thing with Busch products. It's just the personal attacks that seem to happen a lot here that get me. If he didn't understand my post or if I didn't follow some thread etiquette he should have just nicely said would you please restructure your post, I would have done it in a heart beat. No, it's just snide comments, one after another, a contest to see who can be the most condescending. 

• Reply 73 of 98
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I do not see any point in increasing size without increasing resolution.

Aging population.  When I first got my iPhone 4 it was awesome.  Then I hit some magic age and my near vision went to hell.

• Reply 74 of 98
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Then you haven't perused this article: http://opensignalmaps.com/reports/fragmentation.php

I read that when it first came out. Yes there are lots of devices as shown in the image but in terms of variations in capabilities it is not as bad as it first looks. For example, just look at the screen sizes. At first it seems scary but most devices have roughly the same aspect ratio (as can be seen by how the points on the graph form a line) and since elements can be anchored to the edges of the screen or dynamically resized it really isn't that hard to create good screen layouts.

• Reply 75 of 98
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I to have asked many times as to why Apple doesnt include a MiniSD slot but the only response you'll get here is buy a model that holds more.

The reason is very pragmatic.  Apple makes more money without a MiniSD slot in the devices.

For some consumers this is the epitome of evil.  For others with orphaned Palm and other products where the companies have gone under there is a distinct advantage where you can be sure that the ecosystem you bought into has legs.

Folks that like Apple's design philosophy accept that high margins is part of that equation.

• Reply 76 of 98
    nht wrote: »
    The reason is very pragmatic.  Apple makes more money without a MiniSD slot in the devices.

For some consumers this is the epitome of evil.  For others with orphaned Palm and other products where the companies have gone under there is a distinct advantage where you can be sure that the ecosystem you bought into has legs.

Folks that like Apple's design philosophy accept that high margins is part of that equation.

i think it's simpler than that. It's inelegant, convoluted, slow, and only a small subset of users want these slots. Even now when you look at the APR the highest capacity isn't the one being bought over all others.

It used to be a way for vendor to ship with several dozen MB or a few hundred MB of storage so they can reduce costs. Apple stepped up the game with their high capacity storage and you can still find plenty of new phones that don't have anything as close to what Apple offers.

Another issue is speed. One of the reasons Apple's devices feel so fast is they aren't going with cheap or slow NAND. AnandTech has made mention of this on several occasions. You simply can't get that with MicroSD cards. As move up in class trying to get close to Apple's NAND speed for a given quantity the costs start to get crazy. Not the bargain basement prices that some say are proof that Apple is cheating them.

And can you imagine if the average user had to manage between two drives in their device the way that Android users have to do? It's ridiculous! The iPhone, iPad and iPod are the most popular and profitable products in all three of their market categories because of the choices Apple has made...not in spite of as some would like you think.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Of course they're not concerned. Because they're much *more* concerned about making MONEY. And iOS = MONEY. 

Bingo. Apple can certainly the make the transition easier by keeping the same aspect ratio, but even if Apple gets some wonky ratio and resolution, the developers will still be all over it ASAP to take advantage of "made for the new iPhone" rush.

• Reply 78 of 98
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'll add to that by noting that I restrained myself from my usual point-by-point teardown, but I appreciate the tip of the hat mid-post, anyway! 

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You guys are being total bully's here.  This is classic bully behaviour.  

You should be ashamed of yourselves.  

Has this forum really got to the state that some kid posts an enthusiastic post and all you think about is pilling on, insulting him/her, belittling him/her etc. 

I've been posting at this site off and on for longer than some of you have been moderators (and it's disgusting that some of you are moderators and engage in this kind of behaviour), and I wouldn't dream of doing anything this cheesy and shallow.  

The way I read the post, the person sounds like a teenager or a kid.  Don't any of you have kids?  Do you really fell proud of yourselves making fun of someone for no reason than to make yourselves look better?  

Absolutely F*cking DISGUSTING behaviour

Bravo.  What noble men you are. 

I dare you to not only apologise, but to give yourselves the same kind of warnings and banning that you so freely hand out to others and cheer when they get them.  

Disgusting. 

• Reply 79 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You guys are being total bully's here.  This is classic bully behaviour.  

You should be ashamed of yourselves.  

Has this forum really got to the state that some kid posts an enthusiastic post and all you think about is pilling on, insulting him/her, belittling him/her etc. 

YOu need to know that I didn't jump in on this one. It was being done so well by experts I felt overwhelmed and in awe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calden View Post

No, it's just snide comments, one after another, a contest to see who can be the most condescending. 

Shit! I had no idea there was a contest. No one tells me anything... 

• Reply 80 of 98
    Apple might increase the screen height a bit to improve playback of widescreen films and add a line of icons on the home screen. Because this is Apple and they are good with innovation while keeping the developers happy, they will probably put a dynamic Widget at the top instead of black boxes and the apps would still run the same because they would still operate using the original screen size.

The good about a Dynamic Widget at the top would be that it could show Facebook/Twitter/Weather/News updates as well as Text/Calendar alerts without covering up any of the main app. And a Dynamic Widget could be contextual based on the apps genre.

So new apps still work on all iDevices and upgraders could get an exclusive Dynamic Widget (Like Siri is 4S only) with better playback of Widescreen videos.