Can't compose messages in Yahoo using Safari

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Two days ago, my Yahoo email account stopped "composing messages" or permitting a reply to messages when I access Yahoo with Safari, Everything else in Yahoo works fine. I just can't send messages.

Using Firefox on the same computer, an iMac, the Yahoo account will permit "Composing Messages" and replying to incoming messages.

Using IE on a PC, the Yahoo account will permit "Composing Messages" and replying to incoming messages.

I've searched Yahoo for a fix, but no luck. I tried downloading Safari 5.0.5 again. NO luck there either. I get an error message that says, "Safari can't be installed on this disk. This update requires Mac OS X 10.6.7. I have 10.6.8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Two days ago, my Yahoo email account stopped "composing messages" or permitting a reply to messages when I access Yahoo with Safari, Everything else in Yahoo works fine. I just can't send messages.

Works just fine here with MacOS X 10.6.8 and everything else fully-updated.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Works just fine here with MacOS X 10.6.8 and everything else fully-updated.

Your suggestion didn't help.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Your suggestion didn't help.

You now know that your problem is likely to be local to your system rather than a problem that is universal to MacOS X 10.6.8.

Beyond that, neither I nor anyone else has anything better than a wild @$$ guess. As a veteran member of this forum, you know that this is the best that can be done when not given a clue to help diagnose your problem. I would look at your privileges on your network. If you are connected to a wireless guest network, then seemingly simple services will often not work.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:

You now know that your problem is likely to be local to your system rather than a problem that is universal to MacOS X 10.6.8.

Beyond that, neither I nor anyone else has anything better than a wild @$$ guess. As a veteran member of this forum, you know that this is the best that can be done when not given a clue to help diagnose your problem. I would look at your privileges on your network. If you are connected to a wireless guest network, then seemingly simple services will often not work.

Sounds realistic.

OTOH, like Hotmail, Yahoo Mail! has had many probs off late. It's central database was hacked. Many of its users address books have been accessed and abused for spam and Trojan distribution. Yahoo Mail!'s smartphone app is buggy to the point that it's almost unusable: it doesn't attach/send files it says it does, it's formatting sucks, and it's internal housekeeping sucks (doesn't register sent mails).

This seems to fit the OP's pattern.

Well, they are 'cloud' applications, aren't they? And all this demonstrates the cloud's vulnerability IRL, imo.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

You're probably right, but what other info would be needed to diagnose the problem. I use Safari to access Yahoo; everything in Yahoo seems to function with this ONE exception: "Messages cannot be sent." Since everything else works in Yahoo, what other clues should I be looking for?

Since several computers, Mac and PC's, and browsers, including FireFox, do not have the problem, it seems reasonable to assume the problem has something to do with the way Yahoo and Safari mesh. A limp handshake??

The computer is not on a network, wireless guest or any other. It is a year old iMac standing alone. And this problem started a few days ago - and about a week or two after Yahoo was upgraded to a newer version. I have tried to return to the previous version, but Yahoo won't allow that maneuver since they say they are trying to move everyone to the newer version.

Edit after trying to find an answer elsewhere:

You're most likely right about it being a local problem. I have found dozens of reports from other users complaining about 'blank pages'. Unfortunately, these sites do not offer any suggestions as to a fix.

I have emailed Yahoo about the problem and have gotten only a boiler plate reply that their engineers know about the problem and are working on it. However, the complaints go back quite a few years - and Yahoo STILL hasn't found an answer.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

The computer is not on a network, wireless guest or any other. It is a year old iMac standing alone.

This is simply not true. You are most certainly on a network. Your iMac is in no way standing alone. You are connected to the Internet, aren't you? Case closed.

Quote:

... this problem started a few days ago - and about a week or two after Yahoo was upgraded to a newer version. I have tried to return to the previous version, but Yahoo won't allow that maneuver since they say they are trying to move everyone to the newer version.

I would not recommend your fighting Yahoo! over which webmail client to use. That is a fight that you cannot win.

Quote:

I have emailed Yahoo about the problem and have gotten only a boiler plate reply that their engineers know about the problem and are working on it. However, the complaints go back quite a few years - and Yahoo STILL hasn't found an answer.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Over the past few years, Yahoo! has upgraded its webmail client twice. The earlier upgrade took months, if not years, to complete. For much of that time, the new client did not support Safari and was incompatible with it. Eventually, Yahoo! added Safari compatibility, but no official support. Safari support was quite long in coming. This more recent webmail upgrade was much smoother. I switched the first time that I saw that the new webmail client beta was available. I have experienced one glitch that motivated a temporary downgrade, but I am now back on the new client.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Will wonders never cease; I just looked in on Yahoo.mail -

Taa Daaa !!!!! Pressing "Compose Message" brought up the form to send messages. Even "Reply" works now. Maybe Yahoo actually got my rant and fixed it. Naaaa! It probably "did it its ownself" as my younger daughter used to say when asked, "Did you do this?"

This doesn't mean it will continue to work. It worked once before and then 'the front end fell off'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcU4t6zRAKg
  • Reply 8 of 9

Same problem here with 10.7.4

• Reply 9 of 9

SAME PROBLEM HERE WITH SAFARI 10.7.4 TWO DAYS AGO