Parts show alleged next-gen iPhone cameras, 4.1" iPod touch front panel

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
New parts claimed to be from unreleased Apple products purport to show a front panel for an iPod touch with a 4.1-inch screen, as well as new iPhone cameras.

Pictures of the components were published on Tuesday by MacRumors, with the most noteworthy among them the new, larger iPod touch front panel. The alleged part shows a design similar to the current iPod touch, but with a taller screen that would fit in with recent rumors that Apple is purchasing screens sized at least 4 inches for its next iPhone.

The iPhone and iPod touch currently have identical sized 3.5-inch Retina displays. The size of the iPhone and iPod touch displays has remained the same since the first iPhone launched in 2007.

Aside from the taller display, the purported iPod touch component still has space for a home button on the bottom, and a centered forward-facing camera on top of the screen.

Also included in the new pictures are claimed front and rear cameras for Apple's next-generation iPhone. The rear camera looks largely similar to previous iPhone cameras, however the pictured component does not feature a connected LED flash.

Components

The forward-facing camera pictured has a design that is a greater departure from the current iPhone 4S and previous iPhone 4. Also included among the parts is an alleged iPhone home button flex cable, that also suggests an internal redesign.

Components

Tuesday's leak is the latest claiming to show parts from Apple's next-generation iPhone. Earlier this month, components said to be from the headphone jack and earpiece for Apple's sixth-generation handset surfaced online, suggesting the internal components would see a significant redesign from the current iPhone 4S.

Also pictured earlier in May was a SIM tray claimed to be from Apple's next iPhone. That component sported subtle differences when compared to the SIM tray design found in the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.

And in April, pictures of a new home button claimed to be for Apple's next iPhone surfaced online. That part suggested the next iPhone's home button will look largely the same as it always had, but also gave an indication that the part will be redesigned internally.

In March it was said that Apple was reviewing potential components for the new iPhone, which is expected to be released this fall, one year after the iPhone 4S. Rumors have suggested the new device will feature a redesigned exterior that will be a significant departure from the form factor of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75

So, any word on whether or not the aspect ratio has changed?  Is the whole thing larger, or just the longer dimension?

• Reply 2 of 75
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

That's going to be an aspect ratio change...I'm going to guess 16:10 at 1024x640.

They're going to force every single iPhone app to move from 3:2 to 16:10 to gain 0.7" diagonal screen space?

Meh, I'm still guessing that the 4" displays are heading only to the iPod and it'll stay 960x640.

• Reply 3 of 75
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    So probably 16:10 with same portrait horizontal pixel count then, adding about a cm to the height?

I'm pretty sure this is exactly as predicted.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Components

So sad, if true.  Awful decision. 

I don't want a giant, long penis-shaped phone.  

I don't watch movies on my phone and that's pretty much the only winner with the longer screen IMO.  

I will reserve judgement until I see the whole design, but this year might be the first time I don't buy a new iPhone (and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that way). 

16x9 is just stupid.  Why is the whole world changing everything around to support the makers of widescreen movies?  

There is much more to life than movies (books for example)

• Reply 5 of 75
    nht wrote: »
    They're going to force every single iPhone app to move from 3:2 to 16:10 to gain 0.7" diagonal screen space?

No. It'll be optional like retina graphics. Clearly Apple's focus with iOS has been continued software compatibility. No point doing it to iPod touch and not iPhone for manufacturing reasons.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    logic368logic368 Posts: 36member

well, you know, 16:9 or 16:10 is pretty close to the golden rectangle...

• Reply 7 of 75
    gazoobee wrote: »
    So sad, if true.  Awful decision. 

I don't want a giant, long penis-shaped phone.  
    I don't watch movies on my phone and that's pretty much the only winner with the longer screen IMO.  

I will reserve judgement until I see the whole design, but this year might be the first time I don't buy a new iPhone (and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that way). 

16x9 is just stupid.  Why is the whole world changing everything around to support the makers of widescreen movies?  

Apart from your sig, you seem to be wrong about everything.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    logic368 wrote: »
    well, you know, 16:9 or 16:10 is pretty close to the golden rectangle...

SJ is so behind putting golden rectangles in everything.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by my kat wuvs me View Post

So, any word on whether or not the aspect ratio has changed?  Is the whole thing larger, or just the longer dimension?

Of course the aspect ratio has changed. Look at it.

I sure as frick hope this isn't legit. Does it even look real to anyone? Looks like a render to me. And it's missing the light sensor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't want a giant, long penis-shaped phone.  

Agreed. I'd much rather have the "is that an iPhone in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me" line only be valid because of the single penis-shaped object in my pants.

Not that I imagine I'll ever have any sort of line directed at me, anyway. image

Quote:

No, you're obviously overreacting. You're an idiot for thinking this, and I refuse to believe you have any interest in Apple at all.

Sorry, just trying out what people have said to me for saying the same thing. … It makes absolutely no sense from this end, either. Wonder why they do it. image

• Reply 10 of 75
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member

If the new iPhone resolution changes to 1024 x 640 at 16:10, all old apps will still work perfectly fine without any adjustment. You'd just see black bars at the top bottom of the screen where pixels are not used.

• Reply 11 of 75

I sure as frick hope this isn't legit. Does it even look real to anyone? Looks like a render to me. And it's missing the light sensor.

Why do you hope this isn't legit? What's the downside I seem to be missing?

Good catch on the light sensor. Dunno bout FAKE! though.
  • Reply 12 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Why do you hope this isn't legit? What's the downside I seem to be missing?

A completely unusable screen ratio. If I can't use it with one hand without fear of dropping it during the course of use, there's no reason for me to buy it. 

Why should I have to move my grip around to be able to use it with a single hand? This isn't a TV remote control, for heaven's sake, and THAT nonsense needs to stop, too.

• Reply 13 of 75
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Then simply don't buy it.

• Reply 14 of 75

Agreed. I'd much rather have the "is that an iPhone in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me" line only be valid because of the single penis-shaped object in my pants.

Not that I imagine I'll ever have any sort of line directed at me, anyway. :lol:

No, you're obviously overreacting. You're an idiot for thinking this, and I refuse to believe you have any interest in Apple at all.

Sorry, just trying out what people have said to me for saying the same thing. … It makes absolutely no sense from this end, either. Wonder why they do it. :lol:

Penis-shaped? Really? Is it even longer?

And yeah obviously overreacting! Clearly an interest in apple but "movies... the only winner"? "reserve judgment"? "I'm sure I'm not alone"? "16x9 is just stupid"?

All considered, rational thoughts.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Agreed. This would give developers time to upgrade their apps to fit all the iPhone screens, no matter what the aspect ratio is. 

• Reply 16 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

And yeah obviously overreacting! Clearly an interest in apple but "movies... the only winner"? "reserve judgment"? "I'm sure I'm not alone"? "16x9 is just stupid"?

All considered, rational thoughts.

No, I was making a joke about that. I share his beliefs. This is not a usable ratio for this kind of device.

• Reply 17 of 75
    A completely unusable screen ratio. If I can't use it with one hand without fear of dropping it during the course of use, there's no reason for me to buy it. 

Why should I have to move my grip around to be able to use it with a single hand? This isn't a TV remote control, for heaven's sake, and THAT nonsense needs to stop, too.

Fair. I get pissed off having to tap back at the top now. The current TV remote standard needs to be dead and buried.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    No, I was making a joke about that. I share his beliefs. This is not a usable ratio for this kind of device.

Which is why I disagreed. Saying that it would be completely unusable is a blatant overreaction.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I find it hard to believe that Apple would enlarge the screen to a point where users have trouble operating it single-handedly. 

• Reply 20 of 75
    macvicta wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that Apple would enlarge the screen to a point where users have trouble operating it single-handedly. 

Agreed. As if they haven't thought it through. Let's not forget iOS 6 may make changes.