Parts show alleged next-gen iPhone cameras, 4.1" iPod touch front panel

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I find it hard to believe that Apple would enlarge the screen to a point where users have trouble operating it single-handedly. 

This part/render, if true, says otherwise.

• Reply 22 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Why do you hope this isn't legit? What's the downside I seem to be missing?

Good catch on the light sensor. Dunno bout FAKE! though.

A lot of overreaction going on. NO NEED TO PANIC, GUYS! ITS NOT THAT MUCH DIFFERENT FROM THE OLD! The 'phone feature' is probably one of the lesser used features on my iPhone so I welcome a bigger screen. I can learn to live with, and probably learn to love a new ratio. I don't mind if Apple mixes it up and gives me something new. I totally trust it will be worthwhile and well done. 

I used to, and still do if I can be bothered to think about it, that the current iPhone wastes a lot of real estate on the front. If those panels are real there is still some wasted space at the top. 

• Reply 23 of 75
    genova35genova35 Posts: 2member

Sorry, but I have to comment:

The human penis is not rectangular shaped.

I wonder did this person consider HDTV's penis shaped when we shifted from 4:3 to 16:9?

Anyway, I remember when the original iPhone came out and the rumors were all about a widescreen format and that meant 16:9 and it was a big disappointment when Apple announced the 4:3 ratio...people complained about the old CRT format and this and that...

For me, I welcome the 16:9 format and more real estate...I guess it is more inline with what I imagined the original widescreen intent to be and maybe why SJ was rumored to be closely involved.

But whatever, I will buy it regardless...I am a fanboy. 

• Reply 24 of 75
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member

This part/render, if true, says otherwise.

You're the only one saying otherwise. Give us something to work with, an example of why.

Here's mine: "I don't think this'll be better for me because I get irrationally pissed off with stretching my thumb to tap on the back/up button. Also, taller makes me feel inadequate. "

Don't Panic. :lol:
  • Reply 25 of 75
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Length isn't everything.  Girth is important too...

Okay, enough with the jokes.

My issue with this "enlargement" (last one promise) is that most of the time I'm not short length (hehe) but would appreciate a little more space width-wise when web browsing in portrait or height when browsing in landscape.

A 4.1" 3:2 display would be more useful in those scenarios other than watching movies than a 4.1" 16:10 one.  

Even for games...how many times in landscape did you wish the game screen was wider vs taller?  I like the ipad because it's taller.

And if you really were just adding length without changing the width why not reduce the size of the top and bottom bezel?  I agree that the bezel along the sides are as thin as practicable but the home button and top could be reduced to add those extra pixels without adding much to the device length.  I guess maybe the camera module gets in the way but I'd work hard to minimize making the device itself longer as much as practical.

• Reply 26 of 75
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, I was making a joke about that. I share his beliefs. This is not a usable ratio for this kind of device.

Based on your earlier comment about using it with one hand you would not be in favour of any increase in screen size, even one that retains the current 3:2 ratio because you feel it would make it difficult to reach all corners of the screen with your thumb. I get that. You represent a portion of the market.

However, there's a significant portion of the market that doesn't agree. Every day I see dozens of smart phone owners using two hands to interact with their devices. From landscape orientation games to two thumb typing to the giant Android phones that pretty much demand it, two handed operation is just as common as one handed.

Instead of trying to please everyone with a design that cannot possibly do that, I'd like to see Apple make two different sizes of iPhone: one for the 3.5" crowd and one or everyone else. Developers will gladly accept another resolution if Apple end-of-lifes the 3GS and its outdated 480x320 screen.

• Reply 27 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genova35 View Post

Sure it is - with rounded corners. That's not the dispute. Its the aspect ratio that is in question. But the truth is (and we all know it),  that all penises have its own unique aspect ratio. The Golden Rule, be damned. Don't buy into the 1/3 rule. Its just marketing and it will just get you depressed. Be proud of your own unique ratio.

• Reply 28 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Based on your earlier comment about using it with one hand you would not be in favour of any increase in screen size, even one that retains the current 3:2 ratio because you feel it would make it difficult to reach all corners of the screen with your thumb. I get that. You represent a portion of the market.

One-handed operation is a must...ROFLMAO.

• Reply 29 of 75
    nht wrote: »
    Length isn't everything.  Girth is important too...

Okay, enough with the jokes.

My issue with this "enlargement" (last one promise) is that most of the time I'm not short length (hehe) but would appreciate a little more space width-wise when web browsing in portrait or height when browsing in landscape.

A 4.1" 3:2 display would be more useful in those scenarios other than watching movies than a 4.1" 16:10 one.  

Even for games...how many times in landscape did you wish the game screen was wider vs taller?  I like the ipad because it's taller.

And if you really were just adding length without changing the width why not reduce the size of the top and bottom bezel?  I agree that the bezel along the sides are as thin as practicable but the home button and top could be reduced to add those extra pixels without adding much to the device length.  I guess maybe the camera module gets in the way but I'd work hard to minimize making the device itself longer as much as practical.

Those are all great points. The problem with having a larger girth is that it needs a larger grip! Lots of ladies, for example, have a significantly smaller span...
  • Reply 30 of 75
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genova35 View Post

Sorry, but I have to comment:

I wonder did this person consider HDTV's penis shaped when we shifted from 4:3 to 16:9?

Anyway, I remember when the original iPhone came out and the rumors were all about a widescreen format and that meant 16:9 and it was a big disappointment when Apple announced the 4:3 ratio...people complained about the old CRT format and this and that...

For me, I welcome the 16:9 format and more real estate...I guess it is more inline with what I imagined the original widescreen intent to be and maybe why SJ was rumored to be closely involved.

But whatever, I will buy it regardless...I am a fanboy. 

LOL.  Exactly what I was thinking.  Anyone who claims any (relatively) thin, rectangular object is "penis shaped" clearly lacks reasoning ability.  That or they need to see a doctor ASAP to find out what kind of cancerous tumor has severely mangled their own.

I seriously doubt there will be a change in aspect ratio, but I wouldn't mind a larger screen even at the cost of a slightly larger phone.  If you look at the 4/4s bezel, there's quite a bit of wasted room that could be better utilized.  above and below the screen is a whole other story, where Apple seems to have wasted an MFT of space.

• Reply 31 of 75
    genova35genova35 Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Sure it is - with rounded corners. That's not the dispute. Its the aspect ratio that is in question. But the truth is (and we all know it),  that all penises have its own unique aspect ratio. The Golden Rule, be damned. Don't buy into the 1/3 rule. Its just marketing and it will just get you depressed. Be proud of your own unique ratio.

Ok...well for all of you with rectangular box shaped rounded cornered penises...my heart goes out to you. 

• Reply 32 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Apart from your sig, you seem to be wrong about everything.

I comfort myself with the fact that at least I don't throw out casual personal insults with no explanation to absolute strangers.  

• Reply 33 of 75
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member

Quote:

16x9 is just stupid.  Why is the whole world changing everything around to support the makers of widescreen movies?  

There is much more to life than movies (books for example)

I don't understand your dislike - more screen for movies also means more screen for lines of a book's page, more screen for scrolling news stories, a slight image enlargement for landscape viewing of web pages, etc.

• Reply 34 of 75
    jonshfjonshf Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

One-handed operation is a must...ROFLMAO.

Isn't it up to the app developer to put buttons within one-handed reach?

• Reply 35 of 75
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

http://************/2012/05/22/likely-next-generation-iphone-with-3-9-inch-display-1136-x-640-resolution-in-testing/

Yes!!! Finally! 

Now please remove the Home button in iPhone7 and make the case shorter. That would be the final destination.

• Reply 36 of 75
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member

People whined when the form was the same.  People whine when it is different.  People are funny...

• Reply 37 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

You're the only one saying otherwise. Give us something to work with, an example of why.

So you've never held a TV remote? Or an Android phone of this size?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Now please remove the Home button in iPhone7…

Hardware. Out.

• Reply 38 of 75
    Not personal. An explanation:
    gazoobee wrote: »
    So sad,
    Not sad.
    if true.
    Still in the realms of debate, but pretty much a dead cert at this point.
     Awful decision. 
    Not by any means awful, nor decided.
    I don't want a giant, long penis-shaped phone.
    It's not that, but yeah that would be weird on your face.  
    I don't watch movies on my phone and that's pretty much the only winner with the longer screen IMO.
    Probably not the only advantage of more real-estate.
    I will reserve judgement until I see the whole design, but this year might be the first time I don't buy a new iPhone (and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that way). 
    May be best to wait a bit tbh, but tbf you may not buy one anyway, that's cool.
    16x9 is just stupid.
    Bet's probably on the ~golden 16x10, but whatever 16x9 isn't "just stupid" dude.
    Why is the whole world changing everything around to support the makers of widescreen movies?
    The whole wide world? Although a good reason most of us here don't have PC laptops.
    There is much more to life than movies (books for example)
    I apologise, this, this is true. Though somewhat irrelevant. iBooks will survive the terrible, horrific transition, I'm sure!
  • Reply 39 of 75
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    jason98 wrote:
    http://9to5m*c.com/2012/05/22/likely-next-generation-iphone-with-3-9-inch-display-1136-x-640-resolution-in-testing

Yes!!! Finally! 
    Now please remove the Home button in iPhone7 and make the case shorter. That would be the final destination.

I like the design of the one at that link (the location gets censored by the forum unfortunately) but 16:9 is not a good ratio and the home button is removed. The one in the article photo seems to be around the following size, give or take:

The screen size chosen is the perfect compromise and really not much larger than the current iPhone as they shaved down the bezels by about half. 1280 x 800 would be quite good as 720p content is native but 1024 x 640 would be a good size to go with.

This won't affect most iOS content because of resolution independence in iOS 6 and also because most content will scale seamlessly. Games can be set to a different OpenGL context resolution and it will just resterize at that resolution. I don't really know why they haven't done this on every game (maybe cashing in on the iPad versions).

I hope this is the size of both the next iPhone and iPod.
  • Reply 40 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

Isn't it up to the app developer to put buttons within one-handed reach?

Given the way the conversation has gone I was thinking about which use cases demand one-handed operation...the guys arguing that one-handed operation as a requirement may wish to rethink emphasizing their need for this capability...LOL.