ARM-based Windows RT seen confusing consumers, benefitting Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

The "R" probably is for ARM and "T" for tablet.  So ARM Tablet edition. 

If it used an "A" that that would bring back memories of IBM PC ATs.  Bad memories.

• Reply 22 of 110
    kc_150kc_150 Posts: 28member

RT steads for "Real Tough" experience.

• Reply 23 of 110
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

The windows 8 interface is horrible. And yes, Microsoft Office is also horrible.

• Reply 24 of 110
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

Windows Mobile was a far better moniker, but anyone who owned a device with that name probably still has nightmares.

• Reply 25 of 110
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The "R" probably is for ARM and "T" for tablet.  So ARM Tablet edition. 

Are you sure it doesn't stand for "Reducedd Tablet" edition?

• Reply 26 of 110
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Am I just dumb? I have no idea what the RT stands for. 

Rad Tablets?

Really Touchy?

Yes to your first question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT

• Reply 27 of 110
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Yes to your first question.

Condescension aside, his implication is that a name should make sense within a context and have some sort of point.

Runtime. Why would anyone associate a tablet or any of the technologies inherent therewith, with 'runtime'?

• Reply 28 of 110
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Condescension aside, his implication is that a name should make sense within a context and have some sort of point.

Runtime. Why would anyone associate a tablet or any of the technologies inherent therewith, with 'runtime'?

It's an OS name. No normal user one cares about that.

• Reply 29 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

It's an OS name. No normal user one cares about that.

Of course they don't. *bows*

• Reply 30 of 110
    Love this, from the wikipedia page for windows RT:

New button combination for Ctrl + Alt + Del: The new option is to press Windows Key + Power.

The name changes (slightly), but some things will always stay :)
  • Reply 31 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by seltzdesign View Post

Love this, from the wikipedia page for windows RT:

New button combination for Ctrl + Alt + Del: The new option is to press Windows Key + Power.

The name changes (slightly), but some things will always stay image

Will there be a video tutorial when it first boots up to alert users of the change? For something used daily, I don't think changing the key combo is the best idea.

And yes, every single time I boot into Windows, I end up using C+A+D. There's no other way to override full-screen applications' control of what you're seeing, which is completely inexcusable.

• Reply 32 of 110
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

RT=Rectal Tension

Which is what you feel when using one of these things.

• Reply 33 of 110
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    drdoppio wrote: »
    Bollocks. Microsoft put a gun to your head to buy Office? There are plenty of office alternatives, and there always have been. Or did Office offer something other applications couldn't?

Excuse me, but the fact that there are alternatives in no way contradicts the point that MSFT has been ripping off Mac users (and Windows users) with buggy bloated overly complex feature-bloated counterintuitive overpriced mediocre products for decades. As to Office specifically, MSFT has always worked very hard to keep the Office suite as incompatible as possible with alternatives which is a big problem when they dominate the business market. So what is it that you don't seem to understand?
  • Reply 34 of 110
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member

Quote:

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Does Windows RT run regular windows programs? If not, this is going to be a mess.

I'm fairly tech savy, but I don't really understand what RT stands for. Run Time. Ok, but what's that mean? When it's called Windows, and looks like Windows 8, but runs on a totally separate architecture and can't actually run traditional windows programs, it's going to really confuse people.

No, Windows RT does not run regular Windows programs.

And to add to the confusing, part of the underlying technology API that sits between the lowest level and developers is called WinRT.  I mean, what ass-hat named this? (Most likely Balmer)

• Reply 35 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I agree that it will be confusing, but I don't necessarily believe the x86 tablets will be bulkier than the ARM tablets. Intel did finally get their Atom chip into a smartphone last month so I can't imagine slim tablets being much of an issue.

X86 is more power hungry than ARM. That may change in a year or os, but for now, one needs to pack a bigger battery. Also, ARM has the graphics circuitry built on the same die as the CPU, unlike the X86 chip. If ARM holds still for a couple years, Intel will catch up, but then again...

The main problem I see is that Microsoft Office is designed to be used with a mouse and keyboard. That may not translate well to a touch interface and still look like the same programs to the user.

If, however, MS should make a set of touch-based Office programs for ARM, I can't see any reason that MS shouldn't make it available to Apple iOS users to purchase. My business success is largely due to the availability of Office on a Macintosh.It may not be so compelling on an iOS device, but time will tell.

Unlike others on this board, I wish Microsoft all the best in the world. I hope their phones and tablets are a huge successss...What the hell am I saying! DIE Microsoft, and take that stinking fetid pile of code you call Windows with you!!

• Reply 36 of 110
    fredaroony wrote: »
    Your first point doesnt deserve a response.

How exactly have they been ripping off Mac users?

To answer your question, see my comments just above this one. MSFT has clearly been ripping off consumers of their products. In fact Asia is about the only place in the world were people pay for MSFT products exactly what they are worth - about $1.25 for either Windows or Office on the street.
  • Reply 37 of 110
    Does Windows RT run regular windows programs? If not, this is going to be a mess.

I'm fairly tech savy, but I don't really understand what RT stands for. Run Time. Ok, but what's that mean? When it's called Windows, and looks like Windows 8, but runs on a totally separate architecture and can't actually run traditional windows programs, it's going to really confuse people.

No it does NOT run regular Windows apps. And RT probably stands for Rejected Technology, or it relates to people who purchase - ReTarded.
  • Reply 38 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Excuse me, but the fact that there are alternatives in no way contradicts the point that MSFT has been ripping off Mac users (and Windows users) with buggy bloated overly complex feature-bloated counterintuitive overpriced mediocre products for decades. As to Office specifically, MSFT has always worked very hard to keep the Office suite as incompatible as possible with alternatives which is a big problem when they dominate the business market. So what is it that you don't seem to understand?

While I agree with your assessment of MSFT Office in every respect, I also do thank the technology gods that Bill Gates et al have made Office available from the early days when Excel was known as Multiplan. 

• Reply 39 of 110
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    It is insane to name an OS "runtime." I imagine even geeks are uncomfortable with the word. It is deeply anti-syntactic—see, I have to make up a word to describe this perversion of a word.

Oh, and I'm sorry to say this, because I'd like to see Microsoft continue keeping all those people employed.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I agree that it will be confusing, but I don't necessarily believe the x86 tablets will be bulkier than the ARM tablets. Intel did finally get their Atom chip into a smartphone last month so I can't imagine slim tablets being much of an issue.

I don't think they really have a choice anyway.  Windows Phone and the whole Metro thing is (so far) about as popular as Zune, so if they went with the more rational approach of letting it stand on it's own, it would almost certainly fail.  Thus the blended OS strategy.  

That being said, I think the greatest confusion will be the fact that there will be two different kinds of Windows tablets (ARM-RT and intel-regular) that will look identical and yet be completely different in terms of what they will run and how you will use them and how long the battery lasts etc. 

I don't think Windows 8 on the desktop will be confusing because it's fairly obvious that some ridiculously large percentage of users will just remove Metro and use the underlying Windows 7 UI instead.