Parts show alleged next-gen iPhone cameras, 4.1" iPod touch front panel

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

The whole wide world? Although a good reason most of us here don't have PC laptops.

Have you noticed you can't buy 16:10 computer monitors anymore? And the MacBook Pro is basically the only laptop left that comes with a 16:10 screen.

It's a crying shame.

• Reply 42 of 75
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

I realize it would cause a headache for developers, but I'd love to see a 4.3 1280x720 screen.  The Android phones with these screens look wonderful and not too big.

• Reply 43 of 75

Doesn't look legit to me.  There is only 1 hole at the top.  I believe the normal iPhone comes with 1 for ear speaker, 1 for proximity sensor and 1 for forward facing camera.

This is actually more in line with the iPod (only having 1 hole at the top).  I would suspect the iPhone would have the same proportions but that does not mean that it's guaranteed.

white-ipod-touch-compare-600-5.jpg

• Reply 44 of 75

Yes, the article is talking about an iPod, but presumably they wouldn't be changing the screen size of the ipod without also changing the screen size of the iPhone.

• Reply 45 of 75
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Regardless of the exact dimensions, it's fairly obvious that developers are going to need to do at least some work in supporting new layouts and resolutions. If nothing else, there will be new technologies coming in iOS 6 that will require support.

With that in mind, is it time for Apple to clean up the App Store? Should abandoned apps be deleted or deprecated to make room for applications and developers who continue to update and improve their applications?

See http://www.iSights.org/2012/05/new-iphones-and-old-apps-is-it-time-for-apple-to-clean-house.html

• Reply 46 of 75
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Have you noticed you can't buy 16:10 computer monitors anymore? And the MacBook Pro is basically the only laptop left that comes with a 16:10 screen.

It's a crying shame.

I know, wtf. Easily the best aspect ratio for a laptop. Video: 4:3, 16:9, everything looks great. Not a cramped browsing experience. So happens to make more room for the trackpad, which still outshines anything the other guys bother with.

I'm loving my rammed up :lol: 13" air atm (for its resolution mainly).
    Retina pros with good software (and we know it will at least be pretty good) will rock the socks off my rounded-rectangular... feet.

Ah.... shape matters over size guys.

Edit: Just noticed iMacs are 16:9 now, as well as the 11" MBA. WTF. Am so happy with my 24"/15"/13"
  • Reply 47 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Geiger View Post

Doesn't look legit to me.  There is only 1 hole at the top.  I believe the normal iPhone comes with 1 for ear speaker, 1 for proximity sensor and 1 for forward facing camera.

And given that the article is about the iPod touch, your point is… not actually moot, just partially wrong. You're right in that the top needs more holes that these images/renders don't show.

• Reply 48 of 75
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A completely unusable screen ratio. If I can't use it with one hand without fear of dropping it during the course of use, there's no reason for me to buy it. 

Why should I have to move my grip around to be able to use it with a single hand? This isn't a TV remote control, for heaven's sake, and THAT nonsense needs to stop, too.

Do you own a second hand? If you do, then your problem is solved.

• Reply 49 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Don't dare try to tell anyone else that this is any sort of solution. That you'd say this is hilarious. image

• Reply 50 of 75
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It is quite possible to design the UI so that it won't require access to the upper part of the screen for frequent actions. Just don't put buttons and controls at the top.

• Reply 51 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

It is quite possible to design the UI so that it won't require access to the upper part of the screen for frequent actions. Just don't put buttons and controls at the top.

"Just don't use… that part of the screen that way." image

• Reply 52 of 75
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Hardware. Out.

The mid-term future of smart phone designs is going to be button-less and with edge-to-edge screen. 

Regardless of whether you like it or not, it will eventually happen with iPhone, WP, BB, and Android (actually already happening) 

• Reply 53 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The mid-term future of smart phone designs is going to be button-less and with edge-to-edge screen. 

I don't subscribe to a future where I can't quit an app or return to my Home Screen.

• Reply 54 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    So sad, if true.  Awful decision. 

I don't want a giant, long penis-shaped phone.  
    I don't watch movies on my phone and that's pretty much the only winner with the longer screen IMO.  

I will reserve judgement until I see the whole design, but this year might be the first time I don't buy a new iPhone (and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that way). 

16x9 is just stupid.  Why is the whole world changing everything around to support the makers of widescreen movies?  
    There is much more to life than movies (books for example)

I think you have the absolute wrong idea here. Making a phone more widescreen specifically for the sake of making it better for movie watching is a poor reason indeed that does not look like what this would be doing by making a new phone 1136x640 pixels. What this would be doing is making the display larger without sacrificing usability. Remember that your thumb pivots off to the side of the display when held in one hand, not on the top or bottom. This is important.

It also allows the device to still be pocketable as pockets tend to longer than they are wider. But that might not even be an issue if they reduce the casing on the top and bottom. They certainly have a lot more room to play with there than they do on the sides.

On top of that this rumour of a 1136x640 display makes a lot of sense. It not only allows for Apple to increase the display size without hurting the usability but it also allows users can use their apps just as they have in the past until devs can update their apps. Apps still be a pixel-to-pixel perfect rendering but with some border on the top, bottom or both.

They would surely also make this transition a cake walk for developers which would easily allow for scrolling windows to show more data without requiring a negative fragmentation of the OS that is unfavourable to devs and users alike. It's a win-win.

Will Apple do this? I have no idea but I hope they do.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member

This is much better. Same phone size with larger screen, reduce bezel on top and bottom.

• Reply 56 of 75
    h.ravh.rav Posts: 11member

I hope Apple sticks with the current format. It will be a huge headache for developers to support different screen formats.

I don't like that long format either. It's god awful.

• Reply 57 of 75

Quote:

I don't subscribe to a future where I can't quit an app or return to my Home Screen.

"Siri, I'm done here."

"Siri, take me home."

• Reply 58 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

"Siri, I'm done here."

"Siri, take me home."

I don't subscribe to a future where I'm forced to talk to my phone.

Voice control will never be the standard means of interaction.

• Reply 59 of 75
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I used to, and still do if I can be bothered to think about it, that the current iPhone wastes a lot of real estate on the front. If those panels are real there is still some wasted space at the top. 

IT's not wasted space if you hold the phone in landscape mode.  for me, the primary uses of my phone are:

1. Phone calls

2. email

3. texting

4. games

now only two of those uses i hold it in landscape mode, because the screen is too small to really read email in landscape mode, the app buttons take up too much space.  gaming is much more natural in Landscape mode as well.  So to disagree with you, it's not wasted space at the top.  you need a ticker bezel when holding in landscape mode.  That's why the iPad has a uniform bezel on it.  The in the case of the iPhone/touch it most likely has to be symmetrical top/bottom.  Plus, the home button is about as small as i'd like it for now.

Personally, I hope it's not a 16:10 screen, even in landscape mode I find that aspect best reserved for a TV or a full-size computer monitor.  However, I will say that i've been looking into buying a MB Air and even though the 11" is what I want, I quickly eliminated it from consideration due to the fact that the screen ratio is 16:10, just too small of a screen for that ratio.  Anything 24" and above is optimal.  I hate the 15:10 screen on my current 15" laptop.  Apple got it right with the 2:3 ratio, it's the best aspect for viewing both in landscape and portrait.  And since most apps for both OSX and iOS have a lot of menu bars at top/bottom, the viewable space in landscape mode is truncated even more-so.  Dang, and I was going to upgrade my phone this year.  Well, i'll reserve final judgement for the Sept/Oct launch.  Heck, Apple may preview the device if it's that big of a change at WWDC.

• Reply 60 of 75
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Heck, Apple may preview the device if it's that big of a change at WWDC.

To change aspect ratios?  Yeah, that would be my guess.