Apple designer Jonathan Ive says current projects are his 'most important' work

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member

anybody who does not clearly see the inspiration in the Braun designs for Ive's work does not know anything about design.

Ive has admitted in interviews being inspired by Braun, and to see the side-by-sides and pretend otherwise is simply obstinate pigheadedness.  

Its like seeing a red circle next to a blue one and finding no similarities.  Let me know how that works out for you.

• Reply 62 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    echosonic wrote: »
    anybody who does not clearly see the inspiration in the Braun designs for Ive's work does not know anything about design.

Ive has admitted in interviews being inspired by Braun, and to see the side-by-sides and pretend otherwise is simply obstinate pigheadedness.  

Its like seeing a red circle next to a blue one and finding no similarities.  Let me know how that works out for you.

I don't see anyone claiming that Ive wasn't inspired by Braun. But that is a long way from Tune's ridiculous assertion that Apple blindly copied Braun's products.
  • Reply 63 of 105
    modemode Posts: 163member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Hahaha most of those are a serious stretch, radios that look like g5 towers, speakers look like iMacs....hahaha umm yeah

Your being obtuse.

All design is borrowed design.

What do you think Ives studied in industrial design? 'How to come up with truly unique ideas that have never been conceived before'.

I don't that class exists.

Do you even know what 'material design' is? Or do you think Ives invented aluminum as well?

Go away fan boi

• Reply 64 of 105
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member

Another hot bald (at least, shaved head) guy.  There's hope for me and my receding hairline yet.

And when does he find time to work out?  His arms are huge (at least, for someone who works in the Valley...)

• Reply 65 of 105
    modemode Posts: 163member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's a form of apophenia but this has a much higher rate of delusion and psychosis attributed to it since it's clear that the objects are not the same, don't have the same use or components, and have to photographed in such a way as to offer some of the same angles, shapes and shadowing to make the illusion even remotely similar.

Fail

You clearly have zero insight into industrial design - but kudos on your vocabulary.

• Reply 66 of 105
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    sierrajeff wrote: »
    And when does he find time to work out?  His arms are huge (at least, for someone who works in the Valley...)

Probably from lugging around all the prototype of the new Mac Pro. ;)

On the topic of the copying, there are some cases where they pay homage to other designs:

It gives those designs a permanence they deserve. Most of them don't exist any more anywhere else. Where do you see Braun/Rams designs these days?

Apple doesn't in any way compete with Braun. If Ive can follow the same design principles and reach a common goal as Rams for the benefit of the consumers, it's all good. This isn't the same as copying a company you compete with, building lower quality products and trying to win on price.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8555503/Dieter-Rams-Apple-has-achieved-something-I-never-did.html

"I have always regarded Apple products – and the kind words Jony Ive has said about me and my work – as a compliment. Without doubt there are few companies in the world that genuinely understand and practise the power of good design in their products and their businesses.

I am always fascinated when I see the latest Apple products. Apple has managed to achieve what I never achieved: using the power of their products to persuade people to queue to buy them."
  • Reply 67 of 105
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Ive how about a redesign for the iMac, it's well overdue.
  • Reply 68 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Ive how about a redesign for the iMac, it's well overdue.

Overdue in what way? What point does a redesign serve? What does the current design not do that a different one would?

I see it dropping the ODD with the next update, but that doesn't necessitate a redesign, nor should (better not) get any thinner because of it.

• Reply 69 of 105
    mode wrote: »

Fail
    You clearly have zero insight into industrial design - but kudos on your vocabulary.
    He has zero insight about psychology as well and he's using the terms wrong, gestalt would have been apt, but maybe that didn't sound sufficiently arcane, I am sure he doesn't know the etymology of the word he mentioned either.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    Overdue in what way? What point does a redesign serve? What does the current design not do that a different one would?

I see it dropping the ODD with the next update, but that doesn't necessitate a redesign, nor should (better not) get any thinner because of it.

I would like to see an ergonomic iMac a la g3 for a change. The current iMac is very poor In ergonomics.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

Always thinner:

The changes will get less drastic as time goes on though.
  • Reply 72 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I would like to see an ergonomic iMac a la g3 for a change. The current iMac is very poor In ergonomics.

I don't suppose I understand, and for that I apologize. I find no trouble with the 27" Cinema Display that I use nor do I or my family with the 17" white iMac we still have. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Always thinner:

The changes will get less drastic as time goes on though.

Gosh, I certainly hope not. Just use the space freed up by the removal of the ODD for the world's best cooling system. We need more power in the iMac, not less, particularly if that idiotic crap about discontinuing the Mac Pro is true…

• Reply 73 of 105
    dave2012dave2012 Posts: 58member

Quote:

I would like to see the computer unit and drives unit detachable from the display (Imagine a kind of Mac Mini and an external drive fixed on either side of the back of an Apple Display). Then if anything went drastically wrong to an out-of-warranty Imac then at least the whole unit wouldn't be a right off. It would also mean customers could upgrade one item without buying a whole new unit. Apple already use the modular theme with the Mac Mini and it's various stackable add-ons. I once saw a Dell mini computer that clipped to the back of a Dell monitor - but Apple could do it so much better. I just hope Jonno reads this.

• Reply 74 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave2012 View Post

It would also mean customers could upgrade one item without buying a whole new unit.

Go buy a PC tower. I agree that it'd be interesting to see a single bay drive tray on the iMac like how the Mac Pro works, but that and everything else mentioned are not what Apple intends.

Quote:

Apple already use the modular theme with the Mac Mini and it's various stackable add-ons.

What stackable add-ons? The Mac Mini is self-contained.

• Reply 75 of 105
    [QUOTE]"My focus is very much working with the other teams on the product ideas and then developing the hardware and so that's our focus and that's our responsibility," Ive said. "In terms of those elements you're talking about, I'm not really connected to that."[/QUOTE]

I just caught this...boy if that's not as close as he can get to say yeah the iCal and contacts, as well as the other skeomorphisms do look like shit, I don't know what is. Good to see some of us share a common taste with a design great.
  • Reply 76 of 105
    I don't suppose I understand, and for that I apologize. I find no trouble with the 27" Cinema Display that I use nor do I or my family with the 17" white iMac we still

Meant to say ergonomic a la iMac g4, sorry for that. :)

Ot: huddler has an issue with displaying the most common emoticon in :), : ), the smiley face? Doesn't come up on my iPad 2..,
  • Reply 77 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Given the absolute hatred for skeuomorphic design amongst the tech crowd, people will probably hate me for saying this, but ...

The fact that he doesn't like the skeuomorphism in some of the iOS apps (hinted at in the source article), is actually a sign that he doesn't understand the software design and probably shouldn't have a say in it.  There are very good reasons for what Apple is doing in that regard.  

If he doesn't "get" that, he shouldn't be involved IMO. 

Skeuomorphism can be done beautifully and it can be done ugly. You may not have been around when programmers tried to make the Mac desktop look like an actual desktop. This was the era of butt-ugly design; mostly because programmers are often not esthetic designers. When I first saw the iBook bookcase, it was like a flashback to those early Mac days of butt-ugliness.

The wristwatch icon and the sand-clock of the earlier macs and windows PCs used instantly recognizable skeuomorphism to inform the user. When Apple switched to the eye catching beachball it was because the screen sizes had increased and the need to catch the users' eye became greater then the need to inform the user symbolically what was happening. 

Some skeuomorphismic symbols evolve slower than others. For a telephone the "bell" of "Ma Bell" was finally replaced with a handset in the 1970s. The handset of a landline still is used to indicate a cell phone (on a cell phone) icon. We still use the symbol of a floppy to indicate "save", and so on for various other symbols. However, in using skeuomorphism, one still needs to be aware of design details that are attractive. Few people have a really good eye to discern what makes something attractive and pleasing to the eye. To paraphrase Justice Potter Stewart, (on a totally different topic), "I can't say what it is, but I know it when I see it."

• Reply 78 of 105
    One thing is for certain, none of those few people with a discerning eye work for huddler, lol.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    The real story here is what a blatantly racist person Jonathan Ives truly is.
  • Reply 80 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave2012 View Post

I would like to see the computer unit and drives unit detachable from the display (Imagine a kind of Mac Mini and an external drive fixed on either side of the back of an Apple Display). Then if anything went drastically wrong to an out-of-warranty Imac then at least the whole unit wouldn't be a right off. It would also mean customers could upgrade one item without buying a whole new unit. Apple already use the modular theme with the Mac Mini and it's various stackable add-ons. I once saw a Dell mini computer that clipped to the back of a Dell monitor - but Apple could do it so much better. I just hope Jonno reads this.

If you 'd use an Apple Time Machine along with the iCloud, you'd have the backup of any system or hard drive the moment it goes bad on you. Furthermore, you wouldn't need to go through any time-consuming transferring of data to a new computer as any other computers you have would already be synched, and the new once would self-sync. 

It seems to me you are looking for a solution to a problem that has been even more elegantly solved.