Jury finds Google Android didn't violate Oracle's patents

Comments

• Reply 41 of 177
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

I should ask you the reason why you wouldn't want to be able to customize your phone to your liking and make the user experience better than stock? That is why Android is more for the advanced users, and iPhone users are just those simple, I only want to fit in with the people around me because they have an iPhone.. it's the "cool" thing having an iPhone like everyone else type of user.

I hope you realize that much of what you say is either outright wrong, subjective, or just exaggerations. 

• Reply 42 of 177
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    I should ask you the reason why you wouldn't want to be able to customize your phone to your liking and make the user experience better than stock? That is why Android is more for the advanced users, and iPhone users are just those simple, I only want to fit in with the people around me because they have an iPhone.. it's the "cool" thing having an iPhone like everyone else type of user.

Can't answer a question with a question. Simply defend the reason.

I'll ask again, why would I want to?
  • Reply 43 of 177
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Well, at least you explained 2 things:

1. iPhone users are cool

2. The majority of people want an iPhone

Thank you.

• Reply 44 of 177
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Bottom line is Java is completely fragmented, and therefore worthless when contrasted with its originally marketed value-added of write once, run anywhere!  

RIP Java, along with Flash!

• Reply 45 of 177
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Android doesn't look anywhere near iOS or the feel of a crappy iOS product.
    Perhaps because there are no "crappy iOS products".
  • Reply 46 of 177
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So before I report you for being a troll account, could you clarify a few things?

First, "crappy iOS product". You're going to have to write a three page essay, single spaced, for anyone to believe you're not a troll after saying that and leaving it as such.

He didn't say anything worse about iOS than the things certain people on this forum say about Android day in, day out.

I don't see you threatening to report any of those. 

Moderators are supposed to be impartial. If you're going to crack down on trolling, then crack down on it equally.

• Reply 47 of 177
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Motorola is not owned by Google - Motorola Mobility (a division of Motorola) is owned by Google.

Which sells Android devices...

Which is the point of the whole story.

Face it, Google ripped off everyone in creating Android.  There is not an original thought in the whole mess, unless you think "hey this is a new way we can push ads at people" is innovative.

• Reply 48 of 177
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

He didn't say anything worse about iOS than the things certain people on this forum say about Android day in, day out.

I don't see you threatening to report any of those. 

Moderators are supposed to be impartial.

1. It's an Apple forum.

2. I get to keep my opinions, as well as question those of others, just like all other users.

Good to see the anti-Apple crowd will always come to each other's rescue, though.

• Reply 49 of 177
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

ICS is a much, much improve version of Android than we've seen in the past. For the ones that have never used Android ICS, shouldn't comment because you're way behind. I honestly feel (along with many, many other users here and everywhere else) that ICS is lightyears ahead of iOS 5.1 and so forth. We're just going to sit back and wait and see what Apple has up their sleeve in iOS 6 I guess..

Something iPhone users will never get to enjoy, a custom built ROM ;-)

You need a girlfriend.   With a custom ROM.  And a life.

• Reply 50 of 177
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member

I'll answer it for you then.

Because you dont know if the hardware you bought is any good or not. If the "stock" phone was good enough you wouldn't feel compelled to tweak it.

Lots of people "modify" their cars too, but how many are truly "improved" for the effort. Sure you put a new air intake and put on a new sport exhaust, and you gained 20 more horsepower for the $5000 you put into it but it is still a Civic, only now you have raging torque steer. But hey, you tuned it!
  • Reply 51 of 177
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Android doesn't look anywhere near iOS or the feel of a crappy iOS product. This is because Android is OPEN for changes all the time from it's users to make the OS better from one release after another. Don't say Apple doesn't copy from other OS' innovations..

Um, I think you just dug you own grave, wait till Tallest Skill get's a hold of you. You can say Android OS is a better system but you can't say iOS is a crappy product without at least saying why.

• Reply 52 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Um, I think you just dug you own grave, wait till Tallest Skill get's a hold of you. You can say Android OS is a better system but you can't say iOS is a crappy product without at least saying why.

I called it in the other thread. Nothing will come of this, Oracles ambitions were to big. The point is Google releases the code freely, Oracle is more then welcomed to use what ever changes Google has done as long as they also release the code. The beauty of open source. I'm so happy that more and more jurors are saying no to these silly lawsuits.

• Reply 53 of 177

How does Android hurt the competition? What is not proper about Android? Stop being a sheep; competition is good for all consumers. 

• Reply 54 of 177

Quote:y

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

I'll answer it for you then.

Because you dont know if the hardware you bought is any good or not. If the "stock" phone was good enough you wouldn't feel compelled to tweak it.

Lots of people "modify" their cars too, but how many are truly "improved" for the effort. Sure you put a new air intake and put on a new sport exhaust, and you gained 20 more horsepower for the $5000 you put into it but it is still a Civic, only now you have raging torque steer. But hey, you tuned it!

It's not all about tweaking the system for speed, in fact that is the smallest priority in the list. It's about adding features that aren't normally available from the corp and are from the open source community. Things that the big boys overlook or take to long to implement. For instance there a projects now that add support for windows in Android 4.04, this gives you true multitasking capabilities now that you can have more then one app opened at once on the same screen. Minimize, maximize, resizing all of those normal desktop functions. There are projects to install a LAMP server or a Tomcat server on a tablet. There are projects that help you install Gnome or KDE over the normal Windows Manager, what ever you wish there is probably already an open source project that's doing it. Where as iOS you are at the mercy of Apple, nothing wrong with that of course but some of us are beyond the normal consumer user and want beyond the normal consumer user features. Yes we are the minority but we are also the ones the build kernels, device drivers, design the OS's.

Aren't any of you scared for your children using such a cookie cutter system. I grew up in a world that if you wanted something done you had to do your self. I taught myself basic I had to as I only had the hardware and no software. I leaned assembly, Cobal then C++, Java, PHP, Python ect. I did that because when I was young I didn't have a machine that did everything for me. Sure a child might be interested in learning how to write a app or two for their iPhone but they'll most likely use  drag and drop frameworks that some site provides. What's going to happen 20 years from now after all of our children have grown up using nothing but iPhones and iPads.

• Reply 55 of 177
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Small victory??!

This is a huge victory for Google... unless, of course, the countless threads of how this would be the end of Android don't count for anything.

This really is a major win for Google. Kudos to their lawyers.
  • Reply 56 of 177
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    relic wrote: »

Aren't any of you scared for your children using such a cookie cutter system. I grew up in a world that if you wanted something done you had to do your self. I taught myself basic I had to as I only had the hardware and no software. I leaned assembly, Cobal then C++, Java, PHP, Python ect. I did that because when I was young I didn't have a machine that did everything for me. Sure a child might be interested in learning how to write a app or two for their iPhone but they'll most likely use  drag and drop frameworks that some site provides. What's going to happen 20 years from now after all of our children have grown up using nothing but iPhones and iPads.

That's an interesting perspective, but I'm not sure that it is correct. In particular, I don't think that people primarily get into computer science out of the need for a working or better device - they do it out of interest and because there will always be challenges beyond the capabilities of currently available software. And I really doubt whether rooting and modifying Android devices has had any effect on this. It doesn't seem to have skewed the market towards Android apps, which one might expect if that were the case.
  • Reply 57 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

What is not proper about Android?

It is stolen from Apple.  And Oracle.  But mostly Apple.

• Reply 58 of 177
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I get to keep my opinions, as well as question those of others, just like all other users.

I appreciate that. But threatening to report people who criticise iOS without providing evidence, whilst allowing others free reign to do exactly the same thing about Android, is a pretty undesirable double standard and not one which a moderator should condone. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good to see the anti-Apple crowd will always come to each other's rescue, though.

I am not anti-Apple. Disagreeing with some things which Apple does, and thinking that Apple's competitors make good products too, doesn't make me anti-Apple. 

Saying that Android is a piece of crap and not a proper OS is just as lazy and dogmatic as saying the same things about iOS. It isn't true in either case. It'd be great to encourage a higher standard of debate than 'iOS is wonderful; Android is useless crap'. Unanimous praise of Apple products and trashing of competitors ad infinitum isn't really a thought-provoking discussion, is it?

• Reply 59 of 177
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Can't answer a question with a question. Simply defend the reason.

I'll ask again, why would I want to?

I'm an iPhone and Android tablet user. I had iPad for couple of months, before getting Asus Transformer.

I found it refreshing not having to convert videos sitting on my home server to MP4 in order to watch it on tablet. This was (still is) non-issue for my phone, but I actually do enjoy dumping some old TV shows on my tablet whenever I travel, occasionally in my home as well.

I like having full control over Flash. With a few taps I can completely disable it (iPad style), enable it on demand (tap to play individual Flash) or have it enabled all the time. I like having access to basically any video on the web, without having to think is it HTML5 or Flash. Again, it isn't issue for my phone - screen is too small to really enjoy videos - but I'm finding it really nice to have on a tablet.

I am not missing any app I have on iPhone (so far) - I managed to find same or comparable apps on Android Market. I do have simple app I am finding useful on occasion on Android, unfortunately one Apple has removed from AppStore - WiFi Analyzer.

I also like presence of SD cards, and not having to use iTunes or any other software to copy files to/from tablet. WiFi access to shared folders on my home server is also nice, so I can copy ebook/comic/TV show/... over wifi, at my leisure, without moving my lazy ... from my fave recliner.

Just to name a few.

I enjoyed iPad, but I'm finding my Android experience more complete. My Transformer came with Android 3.x which was a bit sluggish and jerky, however ICS is nice and smooth. I haven't done any direct comparison, but I'd say it still isn't as smooth as iOS - however it is smooth enough not to be distracting in any way. Asus has released 3 or 4 ICS updates since initial release (was it in early March..?), with last one, recently released, finally fixing bugs I had a problem with on initial ICS.

Now, this is my mileage. Your mileage might - likely will differ. That's why I'm finding your question a bit unfair. You might find anything and everything above non-essential for you. But you might also find something else that I don't care for... so you should basically ask yourself that question, and if there is anything you have been missing and would like to have on tablet that is available on Android, that would be the answer to your question.

If your tablet is completely satisfying your needs, and you are not curious (or just don't want to waste time) finding out what else is out there, why, then you really shouldn't bother checking Android. Nor should you be asking such question.

• Reply 60 of 177
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

android isn't open and only a minority will try to change what they got on their smartphone, because:

-you shouldn't have to do it;

-it is not worthy.

-it is, basically, a way to kill time for a few random people.. usually "basement" people.

android has it's strengths and for sure it has is own place. I prefer the current iOS and respective devices, but i cannot justify any high end mobile device right now. So android it is for me.

I condemn google's (and the other OEMs positions) positions, but once you (me) learn to look at the forest, we see how good android is to 95% of those working in the tech industry.

they (OEMs) were totally defeated by apple and had to abandon profits and change the way they do business, but thanks to android they can survive. thanks to android, new companies will have the chance to innovate and emerge. thanks to android, apple will be better and do better things.

If android would be terminated, how many would suffer? how much direct/indirect innovation would cease to appear? have you guys read about sony and HP(as well as moto)?

I admire microsoft. I hope one day i can say that i admire google. 

Huh?