Jury finds Google Android didn't violate Oracle's patents

Comments

• Reply 61 of 177
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    nikon133 wrote: »

Now, this is my mileage. Your mileage might - likely will differ. That's why I'm finding your question a bit unfair. You might find anything and everything above non-essential for you. But you might also find something else that I don't care for... so you should basically ask yourself that question, and if there is anything you have been missing and would like to have on tablet that is available on Android, that would be the answer to your question.

If your tablet is completely satisfying your needs, and you are not curious (or just don't want to waste time) finding out what else is out there, why, then you really shouldn't bother checking Android. Nor should you be asking such question.

I think the question was actually why one would want a custom ROM, not just why use Android.
  • Reply 62 of 177
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's not all about tweaking the system for speed, in fact that is the smallest priority in the list. It's about adding features that aren't normally available from the corp and are from the open source community. Things that the big boys overlook or take to long to implement. For instance there a projects now that add support for windows in Android 4.04, this gives you true multitasking capabilities now that you can have more then one app opened at once on the same screen. Minimize, maximize, resizing all of those normal desktop functions. There are projects to install a LAMP server or a Tomcat server on a tablet. There are projects that help you install Gnome or KDE over the normal Windows Manager, what ever you wish there is probably already an open source project that's doing it. Where as iOS you are at the mercy of Apple, nothing wrong with that of course but some of us are beyond the normal consumer user and want beyond the normal consumer user features. Yes we are the minority but we are also the ones the build kernels, device drivers, design the OS's.

Aren't any of you scared for your children using such a cookie cutter system. I grew up in a world that if you wanted something done you had to do your self. I taught myself basic I had to as I only had the hardware and no software. I leaned assembly, Cobal then C++, Java, PHP, Python ect. I did that because when I was young I didn't have a machine that did everything for me. Sure a child might be interested in learning how to write a app or two for their iPhone but they'll most likely use  drag and drop frameworks that some site provides. What's going to happen 20 years from now after all of our children have grown up using nothing but iPhones and iPads.

Somewhere in Europe in the 15th century:-

"Aren't any of you scared for your children using such a cookie cutter system. I grew up in a world that if you wanted something done you had to do your self. I taught myself writing because I only had paper and a quill, I leaned Latin, penmanship, quill making etc. I did that because when I was young I didn't have a machine that did everything for me. Sure a child might be interested in learning how to write a book or two to read later but they'll most likely use a printing press that some shop provides. What's going to happen 20 years from now after all of our children have grown with nothing but the damnation that are Gutenberg's printed books."

• Reply 63 of 177
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's not all about tweaking the system for speed, in fact that is the smallest priority in the list. It's about adding features that aren't normally available from the corp and are from the open source community. Things that the big boys overlook or take to long to implement. For instance there a projects now that add support for windows in Android 4.04, this gives you true multitasking capabilities now that you can have more then one app opened at once on the same screen. Minimize, maximize, resizing all of those normal desktop functions. There are projects to install a LAMP server or a Tomcat server on a tablet. There are projects that help you install Gnome or KDE over the normal Windows Manager, what ever you wish there is probably already an open source project that's doing it. Where as iOS you are at the mercy of Apple, nothing wrong with that of course but some of us are beyond the normal consumer user and want beyond the normal consumer user features. Yes we are the minority but we are also the ones the build kernels, device drivers, design the OS's.

Aren't any of you scared for your children using such a cookie cutter system. I grew up in a world that if you wanted something done you had to do your self. I taught myself basic I had to as I only had the hardware and no software. I leaned assembly, Cobal then C++, Java, PHP, Python ect. I did that because when I was young I didn't have a machine that did everything for me. Sure a child might be interested in learning how to write a app or two for their iPhone but they'll most likely use  drag and drop frameworks that some site provides. What's going to happen 20 years from now after all of our children have grown up using nothing but iPhones and iPads.

You're right because Apple products are created by a series of multiple choice bubbles and a chimpanzee-manned dart board. Perhaps a dash of Satan's sperm for good measure. They employ no engineers or computer scientists, in fact. After another 3-5 years, humans will forget how to design and program software, high and low level. Android is our only bastion of hope for a future free from stupidity and laziness. Further, Apple products are impossible to tweak, unlock or otherwise customize in any way, shape or form. Attempting to do so will result in the enlargement of your body, namely one's own head, until the point of explosion.

• Reply 64 of 177
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I'm an iPhone and Android tablet user. I had iPad for couple of months, before getting Asus Transformer.

I found it refreshing not having to convert videos sitting on my home server to MP4 in order to watch it on tablet. This was (still is) non-issue for my phone, but I actually do enjoy dumping some old TV shows on my tablet whenever I travel, occasionally in my home as well.

I like having full control over Flash. With a few taps I can completely disable it (iPad style), enable it on demand (tap to play individual Flash) or have it enabled all the time. I like having access to basically any video on the web, without having to think is it HTML5 or Flash. Again, it isn't issue for my phone - screen is too small to really enjoy videos - but I'm finding it really nice to have on a tablet.

I am not missing any app I have on iPhone (so far) - I managed to find same or comparable apps on Android Market. I do have simple app I am finding useful on occasion on Android, unfortunately one Apple has removed from AppStore - WiFi Analyzer.

I also like presence of SD cards, and not having to use iTunes or any other software to copy files to/from tablet. WiFi access to shared folders on my home server is also nice, so I can copy ebook/comic/TV show/... over wifi, at my leisure, without moving my lazy ... from my fave recliner.

Just to name a few.

I enjoyed iPad, but I'm finding my Android experience more complete. My Transformer came with Android 3.x which was a bit sluggish and jerky, however ICS is nice and smooth. I haven't done any direct comparison, but I'd say it still isn't as smooth as iOS - however it is smooth enough not to be distracting in any way. Asus has released 3 or 4 ICS updates since initial release (was it in early March..?), with last one, recently released, finally fixing bugs I had a problem with on initial ICS.

Now, this is my mileage. Your mileage might - likely will differ. That's why I'm finding your question a bit unfair. You might find anything and everything above non-essential for you. But you might also find something else that I don't care for... so you should basically ask yourself that question, and if there is anything you have been missing and would like to have on tablet that is available on Android, that would be the answer to your question.

If your tablet is completely satisfying your needs, and you are not curious (or just don't want to waste time) finding out what else is out there, why, then you really shouldn't bother checking Android. Nor should you be asking such question.

Some people still make mix tapes. Go figure.

• Reply 65 of 177
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

I'll answer it for you then.

Because you dont know if the hardware you bought is any good or not. If the "stock" phone was good enough you wouldn't feel compelled to tweak it.

Lots of people "modify" their cars too, but how many are truly "improved" for the effort. Sure you put a new air intake and put on a new sport exhaust, and you gained 20 more horsepower for the $5000 you put into it but it is still a Civic, only now you have raging torque steer. But hey, you tuned it!

You do not need to root your phone with ICS as it is still amazing.  There are plenty customisation or personalisation options available on Google Play.  This is my Galaxy Nexus home screen which I took just before. Mine is not rooted. Back ground is a live wallpaper called Planet Pack from Maxelus and application titles are deleted using Desktop Visualizer.

Screenshot_2012-05-24-14-06-04.png

• Reply 66 of 177
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I think the question was actually why one would want a custom ROM, not just why use Android.

I wouldn't myself, but I can see why people would. Because some people prefer things which are customised to their smallest desire over things which are uniform and designed to appeal to a wide user base, and they're willling to put in the effort to do it. For the same reason that some people build cars from the ground up, or houses, or stereo systems, or Linux distributions. Because they want complete control and they want to know every element of the system intimately, and they prefer that over using something which aspires to more objective, dispassionate 'goodness'.

Horses for courses.

• Reply 67 of 177
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. It's an Apple forum.

2. I get to keep my opinions, as well as question those of others, just like all other users.

Good to see the anti-Apple crowd will always come to each other's rescue, though.

Of course it is Apple fan forum... but not fundamental extremists' forum. Different opinions should be welcome. There is no healthy discussion if there are no different opinions, and this is - after all - discussion forum.

Of course you get to keep your opinion, but you are also global moderator, and with great powers come great responsibility. Definition of word "moderate", according to my trusty iPhone Dictionary, is: "Keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense. Calm or mild". That being said, I did notice that insulting other brands, and - even much worst - personally insulting people with different opinions does go through much easier than insulting beloved anything-Apple.

People do get carried away, it is in human nature. But that is exactly where moderators should jump in! Regardless of their personal opinion. Posters with opinions like "whoever thinks XYZ product is any good, is moron" should be moderated before people with opinion that "product XYZ is crappy".

• Reply 68 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Quote:

You do not need to root your phone with ICS as it is still amazing.  There are plenty customisation or personalisation options available on Google Play.  This is my Galaxy Nexus home screen which I took just before. Mine is not rooted. Back ground is a live wallpaper called Planet Pack from Maxelus and application titles are deleted using Desktop Visualizer.

Sir Jony would puke if he saw that FUGLY mess!

• Reply 69 of 177
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Different opinions should be welcome. There is no healthy discussion if there are no different opinions, and this is - after all - discussion forum.

That's the crux of the matter, I think. Moderators shouldn't treat certain undesirable conduct less harshly on the basis that they agree with the opinion expressed, and vice versa.

In a discussion there is a need for balance and fairness - otherwise the only ones who stick around are those who are preaching to the converted, and you don't have a discussion at all.

• Reply 70 of 177
    signalsignal Posts: 37member

Quote:

Oh dear God it's like the darkest days of the Mac PC wars, where PC users would proudly show off their hideous home screens and taunt Mac users because they didn't have "Shitty-izer Turbo Bam Bam" available on their platform.  

To each their own, I guess, but Android fans really do seem to be drawn from the same demographic as the kind of people who put neon on their "gaming rigs" and bolt cheap plastic body mods to their Toyotas after watching "Fast and Furious XXX: the Stupid Burns."

• Reply 71 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View Post

Sir Jony would puke if he saw that FUGLY mess!

Yes, but thats just me.  LOL... I want easy access with my applications on my phone.  So, I put everything into this main home screen.  My widgets (schedue, note, email, PA, galary, music player widgets, equaliser and etc) and some applications are placed in other screens. 

• Reply 72 of 177
    euphonious wrote: »
    That's the crux of the matter, I think. Moderators shouldn't treat certain undesirable conduct less harshly on the basis that they agree with the opinion expressed, and vice versa.

In a discussion there is a need for balance and fairness - otherwise the only ones who stick around are those who are preaching to the converted, and you don't have a discussion at all.

Problem is we never get down to the real discussion, because we get bombarded by Android users who come here to save us from our sins. We actually get it, you prefer Android, now go find an Android forum. But get our point, we prefer iOS, that's why we're here. If you have a question we are happy to give you our opinion, but if we wanted yours we would go to an Android forum. The trolls actually stand in the way of the real discussion like that which occurs in other threads in this forum that don't involve Android. Contrary to what you believe, when you are not here, this forum does not descend into mutual masturbation. Finally, just because you have the right to say whatever you think, it doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do so.
  • Reply 73 of 177
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Questioning.jpg

Quote:

Yes, but thats just me.  LOL... I want easy access with my applications on my phone.  So, I put everything into this main home screen.

And I respect that. That's a perfectly fine thing to do. I myself have every application on my computer on a SINGLE page in Launchpad, as that's very efficient. But don't you have something of an… ordeal… finding something you want when you want it? Because of the design of your icons, I mean. I suppose it depends on the DPI and size of the phone…

• Reply 74 of 177
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I appreciate that. But threatening to report people who criticise iOS without providing evidence, whilst allowing others free reign to do exactly the same thing about Android, is a pretty undesirable double standard and not one which a moderator should condone. 

I am not anti-Apple. Disagreeing with some things which Apple does, and thinking that Apple's competitors make good products too, doesn't make me anti-Apple. 

Saying that Android is a piece of crap and not a proper OS is just as lazy and dogmatic as saying the same things about iOS. It isn't true in either case. It'd be great to encourage a higher standard of debate than 'iOS is wonderful; Android is useless crap'. Unanimous praise of Apple products and trashing of competitors ad infinitum isn't really a thought-provoking discussion, is it?

Yes, it might be fair to say there is a double standard here, but I think it is justified. This is an enthusiast website, and those going to said enthusiast web site to crap all over the point of interest of said web site, makes one a troll. I don't think it matters the actual the actual point of interest, if an Apple fan went to AndroidInsider (to make up a name) to crap all over Android, that would be trolling too, and the onus would be on the part of the interloper to defend their intentions in either case.

Any other standard I think would be like folks complaining they can't play football on the fairway of a golf course. It's OK for golfers to say they hate football while on the golf course. It's OK for golfers to talk about their love of football, but they can't really play it there. Football players trying to disrupt a golf game is just inexcusable.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with the site, but then someone comes with invectives against the site, it proves nothing. People that can make good conversations are welcome. If someone comes here with the desire to derail threads and otherwise behave poorly, they get the boot, and due to my declining patience, quicker and with less benefit of the doubt in the past.
  • Reply 75 of 177
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

The point is that some folk hang around this site full of Apple fans just trying to start arguments. Going to AppleInsider and saying that IOS is a crappy piece if doodoo is not analogous to going to an Apple site and saying Android is poop.

Honestly, neither does much for the "discussion" but only one of those is trolling here. Of course, the opposite would be true on an Android site.

This being said, the title of troll should be applied to people who are just trying to gum up the works. People actually trying to engage in constructive debate are fine--people who come to stick it to the iSheep deserve the title they get...
  • Reply 76 of 177
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

This is one of the more funny threads that I've read in recent memory.

• Reply 77 of 177
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I'm an iPhone and Android tablet user. I had iPad for couple of months, before getting Asus Transformer.

I found it refreshing not having to convert videos sitting on my home server to MP4 in order to watch it on tablet. This was (still is) non-issue for my phone, but I actually do enjoy dumping some old TV shows on my tablet whenever I travel, occasionally in my home as well.

I like having full control over Flash. With a few taps I can completely disable it (iPad style), enable it on demand (tap to play individual Flash) or have it enabled all the time. I like having access to basically any video on the web, without having to think is it HTML5 or Flash. Again, it isn't issue for my phone - screen is too small to really enjoy videos - but I'm finding it really nice to have on a tablet.

I am not missing any app I have on iPhone (so far) - I managed to find same or comparable apps on Android Market. I do have simple app I am finding useful on occasion on Android, unfortunately one Apple has removed from AppStore - WiFi Analyzer.

I also like presence of SD cards, and not having to use iTunes or any other software to copy files to/from tablet. WiFi access to shared folders on my home server is also nice, so I can copy ebook/comic/TV show/... over wifi, at my leisure, without moving my lazy ... from my fave recliner.

Just to name a few.

I enjoyed iPad, but I'm finding my Android experience more complete. My Transformer came with Android 3.x which was a bit sluggish and jerky, however ICS is nice and smooth. I haven't done any direct comparison, but I'd say it still isn't as smooth as iOS - however it is smooth enough not to be distracting in any way. Asus has released 3 or 4 ICS updates since initial release (was it in early March..?), with last one, recently released, finally fixing bugs I had a problem with on initial ICS.

And to all the other Pro Android answers to my question. I hear you, and I respect your personal choice. That level of customization is not needed by me personally, but to each his own. But, the main reason I wanted to reply was to simply say thanks for a well thought out and respectful answer.
  • Reply 78 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Questioning.jpg

And I respect that. That's a perfectly fine thing to do. I myself have every application on my computer on a SINGLE page in Launchpad, as that's very efficient. But don't you have something of an… ordeal… finding something you want when you want it? Because of the design of your icons, I mean. I suppose it depends on the DPI and size of the phone…

Hahaha, I am honoured.  It does not look like it but I put consideration arranging icons into folders.  I do not have any trouble finding what I want.  I dont think it depends on the DPI and phone size.  FYI, my Galaxy Nexus dpi is 316, not better than iPhone but it is ok.  And the screen size is 4.65 inch.  I dont have to zoom in for full websites on horizontal view.

• Reply 79 of 177
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    How does Android hurt the competition? What is not proper about Android? Stop being a sheep; competition is good for all consumers. 

The bolded statement only applies in the case of true competition - and even then, it's not always true.

But let's take this scenario. You have a jewelry store. It's the only jewelry store in town and you do a robust business. I decide to open my own jewelry store, but I stock it by breaking into yours and taking half of your jewelry. That should be OK because competition is good for consumers, right?

Competition needs to be legitimate competition. Stealing someone else's work doesn't count.
  • Reply 80 of 177
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yes, it might be fair to say there is a double standard here, but I think it is justified. This is an enthusiast website, and those going to said enthusiast web site to crap all over the point of interest of said web site, makes one a troll. I don't think it matters the actual the actual point of interest, if an Apple fan went to AndroidInsider (to make up a name) to crap all over Android, that would be trolling too, and the onus would be on the part of the interloper to defend their intentions in either case.

Any other standard I think would be like folks complaining they can't play football on the fairway of a golf course. It's OK for golfers to say they hate football while on the golf course. It's OK for golfers to talk about their love of football, but they can't really play it there. Football players trying to disrupt a golf game is just inexcusable.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with the site, but then someone comes with invectives against the site, it proves nothing. People that can make good conversations are welcome. If someone comes here with the desire to derail threads and otherwise behave poorly, they get the boot, and due to my declining patience, quicker and with less benefit of the doubt in the past.

A double standard may be unavoidable on such a site; but you, as a moderator, should strive to eliminate it. From your post, you sound as if you've pretty much given up combating it, or going to turn a blind eye towards it. 

I agree that an unprovoked, off-topic 'crap all over the point of interest of said web site' should be dealt with by moderators. However, most of the so-called trolls on this site post in response to someone crapping all over Android or whatever competing product. Take this thread for example. The two posts in question are:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I agree.

No surprise that the fandroids came out to infest this thread.  Small victory for Google, but they are so not out of the woods yet.

Android is a sham of a system.  Get real competition into the marketplace.  Not some botched copy of iOS.  WebOS, Win8, etc... at least they had the guts to make a go of it.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Android doesn't look anywhere near iOS or the feel of a crappy iOS product. This is because Android is OPEN for changes all the time from it's users to make the OS better from one release after another. Don't say Apple doesn't copy from other OS' innovations..

sflocal essentially gets a free pass for calling Android 'a sham of a system,' and a 'botched copy of iOS.' Yet when AndroidUser, in response to sflocal's post, calls iOS crappy, he is almost immediately labelled a troll, and threatened with action by a moderator. Are we not allowed to hold the opinion that iOS is crappy?