Samsung says lawyers didn't design new Galaxy S III smartphone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Then, for whom the iPad is designed?

It's a completely different product, designed to be used differently. How could you compare them?

• Reply 42 of 65
    slkwcyslkwcy Posts: 1member
    Just because apple put the home button at the bottom center, can't others innovatively put their home button somewhere else? Like on the side? Or the back of the phone?
  • Reply 44 of 65
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

ah. the only person who would not see the blatant copying is a Nokia fan drone.

As if your not an Apple drone. Yes, I happen to really like Nokia, remember Apple hasn't been in the phone business very long. 10 years ago Nokia was really the only company that was making true smartphones with their Communicator series. They've created a brand loyalty in me, I've owned every model ever made. I even have that latest E7, though over a year old now it's still a very good phone. Nokia might not be the beast they once were but they still make good phones. Again the Lumia is not a copy of the current iPod Nano, the prototype for the Nokia N9-00 was shown in August of 2010, it had a slide out keyboard but the front still looked liked the current released model except for the more strait edges, in fact Nokia later released that version as a developer phone. the sixth generation of iPad Nano was released September 2010. The Lumia 800 uses the same body as the N9, Nokia did not copy Apple.

Here is the Nokia N9 prototype that was first seen in August 2010 and then presented at Nokia World in September 2010. They later removed the keyboard and lost the corners, that's it. Though you can still buy the developer addition N9 with keyboard if you want it.

nokia-n9-e1283658155469.jpg

n9_04.jpeg

Here is the Nokia E7 announced at Nokia world in September 2010 also designed way before the iPod 6th generation

Nokia-E7-5-xl.jpg

Then we have the Nokia Lumia 800 here, an idiot can see that this is an original design that has been on Nokia's drawboard since late 2009, plus you see the transition from Nokia N8 to E7 to N9 then lasty Lumia 800 and Lumia 900. Also the design patent for the Nokia N9 was filed in late 2009.

lumia-800-bgr-wm.jpeg

This is where the design started from, the Nokia N8

10x1013nokian8review.jpg

• Reply 45 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Here is the Nokia E7 announced at Nokia world in September 2010 also designed way before the iPod 6th generation

See, that's different. Why didn't they keep that design (well, it's cluttered, for one)? It's certainly its own thing.

Quote:

Then we have the Nokia Lumia 800 here, an idiot can see that this is an original design that has been on Nokia's drawboard since late 2009

No, it looks like an iPod nano that has been stretched upward. And no, it doesn't look like the design had been on the drawing board since 2009, since this design didn't come out until 2011, after the release of the newest iPod nano.

The 800 and 900 certainly have clean designs, but it's obvious where they came from when looking back at their earlier models. They looked at their old stuff, they looked at the iPod nano, and they modeled their current designs on a combination of the two. Design doesn't exist in a vacuum. They absolutely used the current iPod nano for inspiration, and they made a nice design out of it. 

Just don't think they didn't have inspiration.

• Reply 46 of 65

Here is also the Meegos tablet patent design that was submitted back in May 28th, 2010.

nokiatab-580x319.jpg

What I am getting at is the Lumia 800 or 900 designs were on paper way before Apple introduced the 6th generation of iPod Nano, this tablet version came much later. The N9 physical prototype that was seen in August of 2010 was probably manufactured at the beginning of 2010 but that's just speculation at least 4 months prior to Nokia World though.

• Reply 47 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, that's different. Why didn't they keep that design (well, it's cluttered, for one)? It's certainly its own thing.

No, it looks like an iPod nano that has been stretched upward. And no, it doesn't look like the design had been on the drawing board since 2009, since this design didn't come out until 2011, after the release of the newest iPod nano.

The 800 and 900 certainly have clean designs, but it's obvious where they came from when looking back at their earlier models. They looked at their old stuff, they looked at the iPod nano, and they modeled their current designs on a combination of the two. Design doesn't exist in a vacuum. They absolutely used the current iPod nano for inspiration, and they made a nice design out of it. 

Just don't think they didn't have inspiration.

The Nokia N9 design which is the current Lumia 800, the patent is from November 2009. Both with keyboard and without, both patents were registered. The tablet version    of the patent came out in May 2010. The N9-00 prototype was introduced in August of 2010, a month before the Apple iPad 6th generation. Besides the changed corners, there isn't a difference in design. Nokia did not copy Apple. Just because the N9 was finally released in 2011 has no barring as to when the idea was invented, patented and prototype introduced in front of thousands of people at Nokia World 2010, before Apple released the iPad Nano.

• Reply 48 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The Nokia N9 design which is the current Lumia 800, the patent is from November 2009. Both with keyboard and without, both patents were registered.

Interesting. All right, then; you've convinced me. Delicious similarity, though. I like how they've kept the tapering on their corners through the years. Was that a signature of their phones before they went to the candy bar format?

• Reply 49 of 65

Quote:

Interesting. All right, then; you've convinced me. Delicious similarity, though. I like how they've kept the tapering on their corners through the years. Was that a signature of their phones before they went to the candy bar format?

Actually it's a farelly new design, well 2008. When Nokia first started developing their Linux tablets, aka Nokia 770, 800, 810. They asked the team to also work on a new OS called Maemo which later merged with Meegos. They put together a completely new team of developers and designers that came out with the Nokia N900, the same group was later responsible for the Nokia N8 which started the long transition to the current Lumia 900. There was actually many stories of people quiting Nokia after they discontinued the N9 and took the designs and gave them to the Microsoft guys. I can imagine there is a lot of anger towards the MS group in Nokia. Especially when Meegos was/is a much better platform

• Reply 50 of 65

Quote:

It looks cluttered because there is actually a really great keyboard that slides out from the bottom. Your right though, it's quite different and is still one of my favorite designs. Check out the pictures below with the keyboard.

nokia-e7-free-phone.jpg

700-nokia-e7_white3.jpg

110204058e7.jpg

Look I fully understand why you guys love the iPhone, it's a great phone despite all of my silly comments. However I really did grow up with Nokia, my first phone was a Nokia. Heck I even owned that gimmicky Matrix phone when it came out, the US never got it but we Europeans had it. Just push in the button on the side and it made the most wondrous sound as it slid open. The Communicator series albeit expensive was always on top of the phone market, I was sending/receiving faxes from a phone back in the late 90's for goodness sakes. Look at that keyboard above, you can tell me all day long till your head is blue how good a virtual keyboard is but nothing, nothing beats the real thing.

Guys, these are the kind of things that scare me about Apple, they are great products yes but they are also forcing companies to follow them. Well okay. not forcing them  but defiantly scaring then enough. Everyone thinks they need to follow suit to make a buck when things like the E7 get left behind. I want a physical keyboard that slides out from underneath. HTC use to make really great phone with keyboards but they stopped, must compete against Apple. 

Why can't these company's stick to their guns and come up with good original ideas. I want nothing more for someone to put Apple in their place, not because I hate Apple but because that would mean we are getting something better, special, awesome.  I don't get it either, Apple really isn't doing anything that spectacular anymore in fact I find the iPhone quite boring and just well old. It was great 2 years ago but now they are just adding features to keep up with the times, where is the new redsign, the future of phone technology. This is the perfect time for someone to strike but who, sadly no one. Apple has neutered everyone.

Nokia is trying very hard though, you really have to give it to them for at least trying. I am very upset at this new CEO though. There is no reason why he should have discontinued Meegos, it was a great OS. Windows Mobile, although missing a lot of the functionality that is available from iOS and Android is making strides. I have no doubt that the new 8.0 will be the OS that makes that platform a winner. I actually like Windows Mobile 7,5, it's fast, functional and very attractive, it's almost there. I just really dislike the company that's behind the OS, MS is and will always be what's wrong with the computer industry. Nokia's CEO is a Microsoft guy and he needs to be dealt with. The Nokia 810 with that fabulous 41MP camera should have had Meegos as it's OS.

• Reply 51 of 65

Double Post.....
  • Reply 52 of 65
    anglerangler Posts: 6member

Nokia is still pretty good.

• Reply 53 of 65
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    relic wrote: »
    Guys, these are the kind of things that scare me about Apple, they are great products yes but they are also forcing companies to follow them. Well okay. not forcing them  but defiantly scaring then enough. Everyone thinks they need to follow suit to make a buck when things like the E7 get left behind. I want a physical keyboard that slides out from underneath. HTC use to make really great phone with keyboards but they stopped, must compete against Apple. 

Why can't these company's stick to their guns and come up with good original ideas. I want nothing more for someone to put Apple in their place, not because I hate Apple but because that would mean we are getting something better, special, awesome.

Apple has neutered everyone.

While I agree Apple is a disruptive presence, I don't see why it's Apple's fault that HTC and Nokia are moving away from physical keyboards. In the absence of compelling evidence, I would say HTC and Nokia made their choices on their own. In the end, maybe you should blame the market. I don't think Apple did anything to coerce other makers to drop that feature.
  • Reply 54 of 65

samsung's smartphone is very ugly and likes a Plagiarist of iphone !  

• Reply 55 of 65
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

While I agree Apple is a disruptive presence, I don't see why it's Apple's fault that HTC and Nokia are moving away from physical keyboards. In the absence of compelling evidence, I would say HTC and Nokia made their choices on their own. In the end, maybe you should blame the market. I don't think Apple did anything to coerce other makers to drop that feature.

I don't think Relic blamed Apple, it only appeared so since Apple is the strongest driving force in the market. The disappointment seems to stem from the notion HTC and Nokia are dropping the ball...

It is unfortunate that the requirements of a niche of more technical users will seldom be met by mainstream products, but such is life. Sometimes, one can get the features one requires for a premium price, other times one just has to accept the limitations of the mass product. Understandably tech-minded users accumulate resentment over time if they feel that they're forced to use dumbed-down products simply because anything that could take advantage of above-average skills wouldn't sell well.

• Reply 56 of 65
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense. They don't look even remotely alike other than the color.

I suspect that it was a stock color. When you request an anodized aluminum in medium blue, there probably aren't many choices.

Comparing the Lumia phone to an iPod nano is just plain silly.

Amazing how far this fanboysm goes, eh?

Lumia 800/900 looks much less like Nano than iPhone looks like Palm Tungsten...

• Reply 57 of 65
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Could it be, then, that Apple borrowed Nokia's design to create those Nanos..?

• Reply 58 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Could it be, then, that Apple borrowed Nokia's design to create those Nanos..?

Interesting theory. We'd have to look into where the frame design originated, but I think you can easily make the case that the form factor itself came from the 2nd gen iPod shuffle.

• Reply 59 of 65
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Interesting theory. We'd have to look into where the frame design originated, but I think you can easily make the case that the form factor itself came from the 2nd gen iPod shuffle.

I love how readily you change your criteria for deciding if something has been 'copied'.

• Reply 60 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

I love how readily you change your criteria for deciding if something has been 'copied'.

Care to expound?