Rumor: Google, Asus to release joint 7-inch tablet in July

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    haar wrote: »
    iOS is "linux"...except the linux has been rewritten for a touch screen by Apple. (thus no open source code in it... IMO)

Your opinion is wrong. iOS is not Linux. It is a derivative of a version of Unix, though.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    iqatedo wrote: »
    So, design and cost disappointments required minor adjustments!  Okay then... perhaps Apple should take inspiration from these companies!

I say release it as is. Call it the GooPad. Keep it in beta for the next couple of years.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or you could take 'cheap junk' to the extreme and get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Android-Screen-Notebook-MAPX210/dp/B006DUYBRO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1337861051&sr=8-9

List price is $220, but you see them from most retailers for $75 or so, sometimes less. And one travel agency is giving them away for free.......

It may use Android as the OS, but I don't think it's Google Android despite the seller's description. I think it's more likely a knock-off Chinese build utilizing open-source Android Gingerbread code but lacking Google services or Google's blessing.

• Reply 24 of 49
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google and Asus are gearing up to release a co-developed 7-inch tablet in July...

And I hear they are calling it "The GoosUs"...?

• Reply 25 of 49
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously? All the evidence clearly indicates that software drives iOS device sales.

First off Apple has a $500 solution. Second it is a mistake to lump notebooks with tablets, while each can do the work of the other to a certain extent, they are not complete replacements. Third I don't think there will ever be real competition from Android, that will have to come from MS or another company.

There is ZERO evidence to separate the effect of iOS software and Apple's hardware. I am not saying you're wrong, I'm saying you have no evidence, because Apple's HW and SW always go together.

Yes Apple has a $500 solution -- that's why if you're in the market for a tablet and you have $500 you won't get an Android. If you have needs that the iPad doesn't address, then you won't get Android either -- here's where notebooks come in the picture. I know this from personal experience, when thinking of specific use-cases, small cheap notebooks have been more suitable, and that's what I purchased. So, although I am curious about tablets, that's all there is to -- curiosity. There are other toys and tools that I prioritize currently.

• Reply 26 of 49
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

And I hear they are calling it "The GoosUs"...?

googleUass

• Reply 27 of 49
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

HOW IS THIS APPLE NEWS??????

i, too, would appreciate a sincere and honest answer to this question.

• Reply 28 of 49
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Quote:

i, too, would appreciate a sincere and honest answer to this question.

Seriously?    A article discussing a future competitor to the Apple iPad, and you can't see any relevance?   Take off those stupid blinders.   

• Reply 29 of 49

Quote:

Why does AI bombard us with clickbait articles that have NOTHING to do with apple.

Windows phone sites do not carry news of apple rumors

Blackberry sites do not carry news of apple rumors

Android sites do not carry news of apple rumors.

But AI consistently carries rumors which have NOTHING to do with apple just so they can get fanboys in here arguing and get hits, just so they can make more from ads which, by the way, IS SERVED BY GOOGLE!!!

Stop it AI, this practice is disgusting. All it does is fatten google's pockets and cause the blood pressure of fanboys to go up with incessant arguing.

Does it hurt?    I'm talking about that gun that apparently somebody has jammed into your skull that forced you to not only read the article but comment on it as well.    Seriously, if you don't like what's published on this website, go somewhere else.  Or start your own.  Because you're just being a d!ck.

Personally, I had no problem with the article.   I want to hear good and bad news about Apple.   I want to hear about competitors.   

One more thing if you don't mind.   And perhaps even if you do.   I personally find those that do the name calling (calling out fanboys, trolls, etc.) to be more disgusting than those posts that seem to generate the tantrum.  Again, you're being a d!ck.   Stop it.

• Reply 30 of 49

Quote:

One more thing if you don't mind.   And perhaps even if you do.   I personally find those that do the name calling (calling out fanboys, trolls, etc.) to be more disgusting than those posts that seem to generate the tantrum.  Again, you're being a d!ck.   Stop it.

Dang.  Now I'm doing it.  Sorry.  You're not a d!ck.  You're just a jerk.  No wait.  That's a bit of name calling too.  Again, sorry.   

• Reply 31 of 49
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Seriously?    A article discussing a future competitor to the Apple iPad, and you can't see any relevance?   Take off those stupid blinders.   

Your point would be valid....if this was a site like CNET.

This is specialty site for APPLE. Not a general technology site like engadget. Cause then you have to ask the question, where do you draw the line? What is considered a competitor? Will we now have news about every android, BB, WP phone and tablet now? Cause to call this a competitor but not have news about a Lumia or some crap seems a bit odd. What about all of the rival music services, tv show services, movie services, etc? Where do you draw the line?

People come here to see news about Apple, not to get news on the wide world of technology.

• Reply 32 of 49

Quote:

Your point would be valid....if this was a site like CNET.

This is specialty site for APPLE. Not a general technology site like engadget. Cause then you have to ask the question, where do you draw the line? What is considered a competitor? Will we now have news about every android, BB, WP phone and tablet now? Cause to call this a competitor but not have news about a Lumia or some crap seems a bit odd. What about all of the rival music services, tv show services, movie services, etc? Where do you draw the line?

People come here to see news about Apple, not to get news on the wide world of technology.

I repeat.   Take off the blinders.   How did you even come to admire Apple products unless you were able to compare them to the competition.   I want to know that there's competition.  I want to know what products they think will be worthwhile.  I want to hear about how Apple will or will not respond.  It's a big world out there.   Even a big Apple world.

• Reply 33 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

If non-Apple stuff is posted, the trolls whine about it "not having anything to do with the site".

If only Apple stuff is posted, the trolls whine about how we're blinding ourselves to the competition or outside world.

Pretty sure we'll take the former, as it creates the more laughable argument for them. image

• Reply 34 of 49
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

whatever Google and Asus provides won't be competing in the same market as the Apple iPad.  Apple has defined its own market and the only competition it has is its former self.  if history repeats itself the iPad will only get better.

as for your insult, i'll just take the high road and let others judge.

• Reply 35 of 49
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It may use Android as the OS, but I don't think it's Google Android despite the seller's description. I think it's more likely a knock-off Chinese build utilizing open-source Android Gingerbread code but lacking Google services or Google's blessing.

Says the guy who insists that there's no fragmentation of Android.

The inconsistency in your arguments is appalling.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

For the second time today, I don't mind responding to something I actually said rather than something you've made up. If you'll quote where I've said there's no fragmentation in Android then I won't have to accuse you of being dishonest yet again today. Otherwise your posts responding to me are getting "appalling".

• Reply 37 of 49
    gatorguy wrote: »
    For the second time today, I don't mind responding to something I actually said rather than something you've made up. If you'll quote where I've said there's no fragmentation in Android then I won't have to accuse you of being dishonest yet again today. Otherwise your posts responding to me are getting "appalling".

Everytime someone mentions Android fragmentation, you and all the other Google shills are all over them and deny that it's an issue.
  • Reply 38 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Says the guy who insists that there's no fragmentation of Android.

The inconsistency in your arguments is appalling.

Regardless of what Gatorguy has said in the past, there would be no inconsistency between what he said in this thread and saying that Android is not fragmented (which it is).  Fragmentation of the Android platform refers to the number of different versions of Android (2.x, 3.x, 4.x, etc.) that are still running in the wild and in some cases the custom skins that manufacturers apply to the OS.  What he said in response to the link you posted was that it's probably not running official Android, meaning it can't be sold with the Google apps preinstalled.  He is speculating that this tablet is running what is more or less a custom ROM.

• Reply 39 of 49
    Regardless of what Gatorguy has said in the past, there would be no inconsistency between what he said in this thread and saying that Android is not fragmented (which it is).  Fragmentation of the Android platform refers to the number of different versions of Android (2.x, 3.x, 4.x, etc.) that are still running in the wild and in some cases the custom skins that manufacturers apply to the OS.  What he said in response to the link you posted was that it's probably not running official Android, meaning it can't be sold with the Google apps preinstalled.  He is speculating that this tablet is running what is more or less a custom ROM.

Yet it's still Android and advertised as such.

So, not only do you have all the different versions of 'official' Android - 2.x, 3.x, etc), you also have the Amazon version of Android. And the Chinese versions of Android. And probably other third world versions of Android.

It's confusing as heck for consumers and developers.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

iOS is "linux"...except the linux has been rewritten for a touch screen by Apple. (thus no open source code in it... IMO)

Android in Linux. iOS is Unix.